UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Workout regiment

Edalon

Squire
Re: Workout regiment

I dont get the picking on someone elses condition. To me its alright to criticize someones advice cus clearly alot of the advice in this thread comes from people that read muscle and fitness and think that is the real deal... However being rude and taunting someone based on their current or former personal condition just suck. All respect to ANYONE that goes out of their way to improve THEIR condition.

A sidenote... funny how everyone no matter how noob and no matter how little results they got with themselves or training others is an expert when it comes to working out, weightloss and weighttraining/musclebuilding.

Mara

Knight

Occasionally people make the mistake of letting people know what bothers them. On a side note, people do have different levels of sensitivity to back and forth banter. And on top of that, sometimes you can misunderstand where people are actually coming from. If you date a nice older lady, a jealous fellow might say 'You Motherfucker' as a term of endearment. While you might be busy plotting his untimely end now, he was just trying to give you props.

I'd like to see more pictures of Reign. I'd probably date her no matter what she weighed, if I was available. Everybody knows what means something to them, or what they think is quality when it comes to another person. We all have different tastes. Nothing wrong with that.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

Alright Ed, stop beating around the bush and drop some names. If there's anything wrong with what I said, I'd love to know it so I can further my knowledge. So please, if you've got the time, take it from the top and let us know what's quality in this thread and what's crap.

Edalon

Squire

Sorry if I came across as an elitist and an ass in my comments LKP, I will try to go through the info in the thread and give my opinion on what is good and what is maybe not optimal practices later. I just have been in the game (weights etc) too long and I want people to get the right info right off the batch.

I like when people are succesful and reach their goals. Also I remember all the crap I have had people tell me through the years and especially the crazy practices people advised me when starting out. We are all different and respond differently to different stimuli, however some principles are valid for all.

Just to take the diet example. A rule that applies to anyone is that if you ingest more calories than your body takes to maintain bodyweight every day, you will gain weight, and if you do the opposite you will lose weight. If you workout or not and what you eat might decide the nature of the weight lost though. If you dont eat any protein and never workout, I would bet most of the weight lost would be lean mass and not fat.

Another thing is musclefiberdisposition, in simplified terms, the "fast or explosive" fibers that have the best potential for growth, or the "slow" fibers that have more endurance. A person with more "fast" fibers will have an easier time growing bigger muscles HOWEVER, the trainingmethods that target primarily the "fast" fibers will be the most advantagous to use for musclesize and strength for anyone.

So many things to discuss. As I said earlier, I will try to go through the thread to see what I consider valid information.

Regards

Ed

Ta2dmarine

Wanderer

Or just torrent p90x like I did.

Shit works, if you're into believing everything you read on an internet forum.

Edalon

Squire

Mara;2142787 said:
Good for stamina, but not all that great for much else, much to the chagrin of men everywhere.

That small muscle thats placed laterally of the elbow, the one that when contracted almost looks like a lump might be stimulated and developed to undreamed of proportions as well. Now you know why skinny guys with huge lumps on top of forearms look that way...

Did some soul searching and evaluated a lot of information on here as well as some outside sources.

My plan that i have been following so far is

Diet plan:

eat 1/8 a leaf of really really old lettuce and 5 cups of cooking lard

Exercise / weight lifting:

I run for 7 feet 3 times a week and take every other week off

I also am now lifting up my can of pop to my mouth with a lot more force than i usually did, now i can raise and lower the can like a champ, and i can even see the can getting pwnd in the mirror with record speed.

.... ok all kidding aside, I have finally got around to setting up a plan, running it past my doctor and tailoring it to my lifestyle. I have managed to adjust my diet but not drastically change it, I think it will take me a few months to fully work in a new diet and phase out my old diet, and im never fully giving up some unhealthy things, just have to work them into some type of moderation.

The schedule i have cooked up involves switching up my exercises after 6+ weeks depending on the factors involved at the end of the 6 week mark and transitioning from there. My goal is to increase my physical abilities with no demand upon then, meaning I do not have to be carved out of granite nor do i need to bench 600 lbs or curl compact cars, i just need to make use of the equipment i have and orchestrate it into a lifestyle i am content with. Obviously diet and consistency are my two biggest obstacles that only time will tell if i have overcome. A lot of people give mad hate to the bowflex and ill not argue that free weights are likely the better route, but if i could trade my 1k bowflex for 1k in free weights I’ll gladly disassemble my bowflex and bring it to your house for the trade, till that happens I’ll use what i have and not feel bad about it. I can assure anyone that me consistently and properly using my bowflex will benefit me a lot more than pretending i will go to the gym today, cause i tried that before i bought the bowflex and it did not happen but 3x a year and when i number crunched that I’m still way ahead with the bowflex because even when it is not being used i still possess it and it’s not a continual cost it’s a cost I’ve already paid and the more i use it the less it "truly" costs me in the long run so financially it’s still a better bet as well.

As for results I do have mini goals, but am not worried about disappointment, I am more interested in incorporating physical activity into my life style, I do not know my limitations with the weights yet so ill be taking the next week or 2 to see what is a good starting point for weight per exercise and reps and all that fun stuff. I also know that my resistance technology does not translate well into free weights for a number of reasons so I plan to stick with my bowflex because the actual number of the resistance means little to me, it’s the amount of resistance I need to get to failure in the reps that I’m caring about. Once I get all that situated I have already made easy tracking sheets for progress so I have tangible things to look at while I progress as well as keep an organizational element to it. I am not sure anyone cares about my progress / success but I will tell ya my starting point anyways and If I get where I’m headed I’m sure half of you won’t even be on these forums and the other half won’t care, but ill post my results regardless.

So my starting point:
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 205 lbs
Max amount of weight ever lifted: 190 lbs [free weights] benching 3 sets of 4 (quite a number of years ago, early desk job years)
Max distance able to run [comfortably]: 1.3 miles and afterwards I needed 2 shots of vodka and a shot of bacon covered with cheese and some more bacon! That’s what I call recovery food!

bk0811

Knight

I didn't take the time to read through all of that because its a real eyestrain, but I'll go ahead and say it looks pretty solid. Make sure you weigh yourself EVERY week. Idealistically you'll be wanting to lose 2-4 pounds each week as thats considered a "healthy rate" of weightloss, it may not seem like much at first, but the weeks will fly by and those pounds will melt off.

The biggest thing you could do is stop drinking soda/juice altogether, that will really make a HUGE difference considering that a rather large portion of your caloric intake is coming from the shit you drink. If you're going to drink juice, make sure its not some sugar filled kool-aid juice. Orange juice, by all means. Another good thing to do is to try and get all your carbs in during the morning time, that way you have the rest of the day to burn it off. You'll also want to start eating more fiber, oatmeal and rice are good for that.

Getting shape can actually be pretty exciting, but theres a ton of stuff to learn and eventually you'll learn how to tailor your own diet to your specific needs and goals, if you havn't already, picked up that encyclopedia of body building because its jam packed with a plethora of knowledge.

Also, as far as equipment goes, you can find that shit cheap. Check your local craigslist postings for people selling weight benches and weights, for real cheap, hell you might even be able to find someone to do a trade with you

Edalon

Squire

Of no importance, I am looking forward to seeing your progress. If you need any advice or have questions on the way, feel free to pm or ask me in thread. I understand that general health and being able to perform better physically is your main goals coupled with some fatloss right? Then you have ALOT of options and even though the bowflex might not be ideal, you should be able to workout some really good programs if you combine it with dumbbell excercises and bodyweight excercises. I have never used a bowflex thing, but I checked it out before answering you and there seems to be many different models available, which one do you have?

I have the blaze, its an older model with limited exercies but it does contain over 66+ exercises plus i got a few additional pieces that go with my model i think i added maybe 10 extra exercises. The resistance i have goes up to 310 however I know with benching its about 50 lbs off from free weights, I have never used a smiths machine so i dont know if it has more to do with stabalizer muscles or the actual difference in the actions required for resistance vs. free weights. Regardless there is no exercise save maybe a few leg exercises that i can max the machine out on yet so no matter the differences It is still a viable option that i am going to use. I should also have 2 dumbells with i think ~ 100 lbs of free weights but i cannot be sure how much can fit on the dumbells and as of yet ive never put more than 50 lbs on them to do any exercise.

You are correct in my goals being general health, better physical performance and fat loss. I also have been taking steps to improve my diet more fruits, vegies, lean meats and less fast food, highly processed foods and greatly reducing my sodium intake.

I still have vices that i do not plan to fully rid myself of such as alcohol and the occational soda with meals etc but even the small steps I have taken thus far have dramatically improved my mood and energy levels. This monday is when i will start, im shooting for 5 days a week as of right now. Aiming for 45min - an hour a day but many factors will influence my final determination, such as if i feel im pushing things way to hard ill ease up till i am more adjusted. I am not terribly out of shape and void of muscle, so despite my short stature and hefty frame I am not one of the people who in passing in the street you would be like "omg how did he let it get that bad" ya know what i mean?

Edalon

Squire

Sounds as if you should be able to get some really nice results with that equipment, especially since you have the dumbbells to go with as well. Sometimes its easy to get overwhelmed with information so I will just advise you to do a very few things. Pick a few excercises that will cover most of the major bodyparts. As LKP wrote earlier in the thread, you could divide the body in pushing, pulling and legs. Pushing would work primarily chest and triceps (the largest armmuscle), with additional stimulation to shoulders. Pulling would work the back, biceps and forearms whilst also hitting the shoulders from other angles. Legs is thighs and calves.

One idea to work with could be to pick 6 excercises 2 for pushing, 2 for pulling and 2 for legs and do 3 sets of 5-10 reps of each monday, wednesday, friday, (or any alternate three days you favour). While always keeping good form, beat your prior performance. This can be done in three basic ways. 1. Add more weight whilst keeping the repetitions the same. 2. Do more repetitions with the same weight. 3. Do the same weight and repetitions but in shorter time. All three are valid progressions. I would even recommend doing this for as long as you progress. Easy to keep track of, easy to do. If you want to work more days try some other type of physical activity, like a sport, walking, jogging etc. Later on you can add in more weight days, do one major bodypart a day etc. Gradual progress and CONSTANT progress is where its at. The idea to let the workout take 45-60 minutes is great since this will keep your recovery in check AND prime your hormonal output.

I am sure you will do really well and take great strides towards your goals.

Edalon