UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Workout regiment

Re: Workout regiment

Reign Flame;2140801 said:
I would choose a regular gym over a home gym anyway, unless you were rich enough to have all the same equipment, and even then, where's the fun in that? I like working out, I go with my sister, and have a few regular friends there. You probably won't, but the classes can be fun aswell for women. However, I would also keep the ellipticle for days you don't feel like going out, or really exercising, but want to do atleast 30mins on the ellipticle.

I highly doubt you goto the Gym.

Anyways, alot of useful information in this thread. The main key to working out is dedication, you will not see results over night unless you're a steroid abuser. Like previously stated, do not work the same muscles back to back "you can work your core/abs everyday". Legs are also very important, some people like to skip them but they release the most hormones etc. Take 1-2 scoops of protein immediently after every workout. Also if you have an Ipod Touch download the ABC Gym application it will show you every workout possible with instructions/video. Form is also very very important, don't sling your weights up just because it's easier, keep your back straight. Also try working out 5 days a week with weekends for your rest time.

Also I've been taking 100% creatine Cell-Tech Hardcore, it's expensive but it seems like it's working I can do a couple more reps the first week I took it, it basically obsorbs more water into your muscles making them look larger. If you start taking it, take it everyday even when you don't workout. "do not take it if you have liver/kidney problems"

Rasah

Sorceror

Edalon;2140809 said:
In my opinion a wellequipped homegym is superior to 90 percent of commercial gyms, since they truly suck, equipmentwise AND environmentally.

Sounds to me like you had some bad experiences.. no way a home gym will ever compete with a quality gym unless you are some millionaire workout fanatic... and the potential knowledge you can acquire at the gym is another thing to consider. I've always enjoyed the atmosphere.

shindig

Sorceror

Pete Liv;2140785 said:
deffo get a mirror want to make sure you are doing the reps right really sucks to pull a muscle

no shit, I used to do strenuous lifting/pulling at work, would carry several sheets of drywall at shitty angles and now I pull my upper back out all the time just tilting my head the wrong way.

Burky

Page

If your looking to lose 40 lbs my advise would be to set smaller goals for yourself so you don't get discouraged. For example try 5 lbs every 3 months. Most people will not lose 20 lbs in a year, tho it can be done. If your serious about losing that much weight you should focus more on cardio and a diet high in protein low in carbs than weight lifting.

Anyhow here's a good deal on the protein powder I used to use back in college. Helps your muscles recover after a good workout. I wouldn't recommend creatine if your looking to lose weight, at least until you lose your 40 lbs. Good luck dude.

Amazon.com: Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate, 5 Pound: Health & Personal Care

andrewUO6529

Sorceror

My best advice as someone who works out and eats a very good diet would be not getting your information from people on a game forum. XD!

But ya its true that your diet is very important in terms of actually seeing results if you are going to work out.

Generically if your male, and you want to lose weight then your goal would be this:

Eating the following:

Reminder: Drink lots of water, avoid things with sugar and pop, water is your best friend and your main drink, anything other than water should be considered healthy like tea or not drank at all only on occasion! Only thing I usually ever drink is water unless im at a restaurant!

I consume 1 gallon of water or nearly 1 gallon daily!

-Complex carbs-
Now this doesn't mean any carb, it means things like the following:
-Brown Rice (best) white rice does the trick but not as well most would say
-Whole Grain bread
-Whole Grain Cheerios cereal, 1 cup a day and its like 1G sugar mix it with some skim milk for breakfast, or go old fashioned and eat some protein things like no egg yolk eggs etc.
-Oat Bran is very healthy, whole grains very complex carb will definately help.. mix a bit of butter and tiny tiny amount of sugar. Or if your like me no sugar at all
-wheat pasta

Stay away from flower products such as burritos, white pasta, cookies, white bread, cake etc!

-High Protein - Chicken, Turkey, Tuna, Fish

I eat no ground beef at all, it can mess you all up with the high levels of sodium/fat and I just dont like gout so that's an obvious keep away from meat choice!

-Average 160-200LB man will eat around 160-200G protein daily great amount to start with, when you get bigger you can eat more protein.

Eat your Greens! Description:

-Definately eat anything thats green, I eat salad every single day, and vegetables I will usually have green beans, or possibly spinach etc. Stay away from regular potatoes and eat sweet potatoes if you like those.

-Tomatoes are your best friend, possibly the best thing a man can eat in terms of being healthy!
And things like Celery are good for your libido!! o_O

Sodium, fats intake:

-Low Sodium products, average healthy person ranges around 2,000-2500 MG Sodium daily

-Typical male will consume at or under 90G Total fat daily to remain healthy

-Stay away from saturated fats, 15G Total on saturated fat daily dont go over!

-Fast food and family restaurants avoid them as much as you can.. I eat fast food like once a month or not at all

Calcium how important? VERY!

-Avoid having a lot of milk all your going to be drinking is a ton of sugar, and you dont want sugar!

-Cottage cheese is your best friend, find LOW SODIUM cottage cheese and have it 2 to 3 tiles half a cup daily!

-You can find supplements that give you more calcium intake, vitamins, fish oil etc.

-Fish im pretty sure supplys a good level of calcium as well.

Pretty much most of what I eat, as far as how I eat it goes..

When I workout I eat before and after, something like 30G Complex carbs of brown rice along with 20G protein of a chicken breast or something.

You want to split your meals up into decently non oversized meals and eat 4 or 6 times daily, 6 being the best because you keep your metabolism going at a better rate.

With all that nutrition stuff I just described to you, you can pretty much find workout regimens online, basic guides pretty much telling you to workout 3 to 5 days a week at the least amount of time of an hour and different muscle groups each day.

Cardio always before weight lifting! and usually best to eat light before doing cardio or if your a pro dont eat at all!

So what I just got done typing is most of what I do myself, and it provides you very good results as long as you stick to it! whew done typing!

WillyDaSquid

Sorceror

andrewUO6529;2140995 said:
My best advice as someone who works out and eats a very good diet would be not getting your information from people on a game forum. XD!

But ya its true that your diet is very important in terms of actually seeing results if you are going to work out.

Generically if your male, and you want to lose weight then your goal would be this:

Eating the following:

-Complex carbs-
Now this doesn't mean any carb, it means things like the following:
-Brown Rice (best) white rice does the trick but not as well most would say
-Whole Grain bread
-Whole Grain Cheerios cereal, 1 cup a day and its like 1G sugar mix it with some skim milk for breakfast, or go old fashioned and eat some protein things like no egg yolk eggs etc.
-Oat Bran is very healthy, whole grains very complex carb will definately help.. mix a bit of butter and tiny tiny amount of sugar. Or if your like me no sugar at all
-wheat pasta

Stay away from flower products such as burritos, white pasta, cookies, white bread, cake etc!

-High Protein - Chicken, Turkey, Tuna, Fish

I eat no ground beef at all, it can mess you all up with the high levels of sodium/fat and I just dont like gout so that's an obvious keep away from meat choice!

-Average 160-200LB man will eat around 160-200G protein daily great amount to start with, when you get bigger you can eat more protein.

Eat your Greens! Description:

-Definately eat anything thats green, I eat salad every single day, and vegetables I will usually have green beans, or possibly spinach etc. Stay away from regular potatoes and eat sweet potatoes if you like those.

-Tomatoes are your best friend, possibly the best thing a man can eat in terms of being healthy!
And things like Celery are good for your libido!! o_O

Sodium, fats intake:

-Low Sodium products, average healthy person ranges around 2,000-2500 MG Sodium daily

-Typical male will consume at or under 90G Total fat daily to remain healthy

-Stay away from saturated fats, 15G Total on saturated fat daily dont go over!

-Fast food and family restaurants avoid them as much as you can.. I eat fast food like once a month or not at all

Calcium how important? VERY!

-Avoid having a lot of milk all your going to be drinking is a ton of sugar, and you dont want sugar!

-Cottage cheese is your best friend, find LOW SODIUM cottage cheese and have it 2 to 3 tiles half a cup daily!

-You can find supplements that give you more calcium intake, vitamins, fish oil etc.

-Fish im pretty sure supplys a good level of calcium as well.

Pretty much most of what I eat, as far as how I eat it goes..

When I workout I eat before and after, something like 30G Complex carbs of brown rice along with 20G protein of a chicken breast or something.

You want to split your meals up into decently non oversized meals and eat 4 or 6 times daily, 6 being the best because you keep your metabolism going at a better rate.

With all that nutrition stuff I just described to you, you can pretty much find workout regimens online, basic guides pretty much telling you to workout 3 to 5 days a week at the least amount of time of an hour and different muscle groups each day.

Cardio always before weight lifting! and usually best to eat light before doing cardio or if your a pro dont eat at all!

So what I just got done typing is most of what I do myself, and it provides you very good results as long as you stick to it! whew done typing!

hes right. if you want to see real results, get a good diet. its the hardest thing to follow properly. it is the most important thing in my opinion though.

nothing wrong with creatine and shit like that.. but if you take too much or dont take it properly.. it can add the wrong kind of weight.. think of them as meal replacements..

i took whey for a while .. never noticed much of a difference though

andrewUO6529

Sorceror

Workout supplements are not nearly as good as a permanent food diet (lifetime)

Creatine can actually make things worse, so yea definately take the recommended dose daily (low) and things like Whey shakes are only meant to be a one of your six meals thing, its pure protein.

Things like Whey are nice but dont get too focused on stuff like that, if you drink whey dont go over two times drinking two cups of 20G protein whey daily would be ur limit. Shit can ruin your kidneys and do more harm than good.

Ive used nitric oxide and stuff but I honestly didnt need it and the results were not good enough/worth the chest pain!! xD and dont even get me started.. it made my veins look too freakin huge..

Supplements are over-rated, stick to food its the most possible best supplement you can stick to that provides the maximum amount of nutrition for a strong body, that and drinking a lot of water like I said earlier I drink up to a gallon of water a day :)

Half of the kids on this forum are ignorant as hell, don't listen to the bullshit their spilling out. Are you trying to get into shape, lose weight, or workout as a lifestyle? Whatever the reason the main thing is you change your diet to something REASONABLE... something your wife agrees too as well because it's not just you eating in the house. Instead of having Pizza one night, have cooked skinless chicken breasts. Instead of hamburgers have turkey burgers.

You have to think about your other family members in the house as well when it comes to terms of changing your diet. And supplements aside, you don't need them. Every morning I run EXACTLY 3 miles nonstop, not jogging.... but full blown running. My morning meal consists of water, miniature turkey biscuits and usually a banana or apple. And before you listen to people telling you to take Whey Creatine look into it first, you have to dedicate yourself to the supplement or you WILL GET HUGE, as in fat.... stay away from it entirely if you don't know a thing about lifting. Also, a VERY GOOD program I use is called P90X.... it will help you lose a little bit of weight, but at the end of 90 days you WILL be ripped as hell. I did it and ..... it's amazing.

But then again, my workout is centered to be ripped. I run everyday as well as box in my spare time at a local gym. I like to be ripped then look like a muscle bound moron. If you're new to working out I REALLY, REALLY suggest running to start. It's a great way to get in shape fast, burns calories like no other, and if you can learn to control your breathing while running.... you're set for whatever else you can think of in terms of breathing and controlled breaths in life.

Edalon

Squire

Rasah;2140925 said:
Sounds to me like you had some bad experiences.. no way a home gym will ever compete with a quality gym unless you are some millionaire workout fanatic... and the potential knowledge you can acquire at the gym is another thing to consider. I've always enjoyed the atmosphere.

Done it for twenty years, I do like hardcore gyms suited for olympic lifters, powerlifters and bodybuilders, I just dont like the "healthclub gyms". The knowledge you can aquire in most gyms is not very accurate, based on myth or downright outdated. If you want a social environment and want to feel you are actually "good", or checking out fitness girls, you are right on. I guess it comes down to what you call quality gyms.

Marquis de Sade43535;2141032 said:
Half of the kids on this forum are ignorant as hell, don't listen to the bullshit their spilling out. Are you trying to get into shape, lose weight, or workout as a lifestyle? Whatever the reason the main thing is you change your diet to something REASONABLE... something your wife agrees too as well because it's not just you eating in the house. Instead of having Pizza one night, have cooked skinless chicken breasts. Instead of hamburgers have turkey burgers.

You have to think about your other family members in the house as well when it comes to terms of changing your diet. And supplements aside, you don't need them. Every morning I run EXACTLY 3 miles nonstop, not jogging.... but full blown running. My morning meal consists of water, miniature turkey biscuits and usually a banana or apple. And before you listen to people telling you to take Whey Creatine look into it first, you have to dedicate yourself to the supplement or you WILL GET HUGE, as in fat.... stay away from it entirely if you don't know a thing about lifting. Also, a VERY GOOD program I use is called P90X.... it will help you lose a little bit of weight, but at the end of 90 days you WILL be ripped as hell. I did it and ..... it's amazing.

But then again, my workout is centered to be ripped. I run everyday as well as box in my spare time at a local gym. I like to be ripped then look like a muscle bound moron. If you're new to working out I REALLY, REALLY suggest running to start. It's a great way to get in shape fast, burns calories like no other, and if you can learn to control your breathing while running.... you're set for whatever else you can think of in terms of breathing and controlled breaths in life.

You're an idiot, and watch way to much TV. If your working out you're not going to get fat from whey or creatine. I don't do much cardio and just focus on strength and defining my body, lifting weights actually burns way more calories than you think. Anyone that actually works out will tell you to take whey protein...

However Im not sure what hes trying to do, lose weight or bulk up?

Starnix

Sorceror

I am an avid fan of staying fit. The absolute best program I have found is P90x. It is simple and effective and you see results within the first month. I have done the whole bit. Paying big bucks for a fitness center, buying elipticals(which I still love), stationary bikes and a whole nautilus set up. Honestly, all you need is a nice set of dumbells, chinup bar, yoga mat and the P90x dvd set.
I borrowed my brothers set and ended up buying my own off of craigslist for a steal.

Here's a link to the website. :)

P90X® - Fitness, Nutrition, Diet, Weight Loss Official Web site

shindig

Sorceror

Your body has a limit to the amount of protein it can use. The excess gets pissed out or converted to carbs and then gets stored in fat cells.

Diet based nutrition will always outweigh single nutrient supplements. Eating a well rounded diet will give your body all the minerals, micro-nutrients, and energy you need.

If you want to lose weight, get more of your protein from plants, beans, grains, spinach, broccoli, raw nuts and seeds. Your intake of fat will decrease dramatically and you'll still have plenty of protein along with all the minerals/micronutrients that aren't included in meat. You also have much more energy after meals when you're body isn't breaking down some greasy hamburger smothered in cheese.

For meat, lean cuts and fish. Even chicken now is shown to have more fat than protein with current farming practices. Since birds are fed high energy diets and growth hormones to grow twice the size in half the time, they don't move very much and have been shown to contain more fat than muscle, it's no longer the "lean" meat.

Mara

Knight

of no importance;2140615 said:
So my wife is pissed as hell at all the exercise equipment I have accumulated based on the cost vs. the space they take up and I was wondering if we had any closet gym rats in the hybrid forum community. I never really got into the intelligent aspect of working out and could use some direction in going about setting up a program. I do know a few things like use weights that you can only do 8-10 reps to failure while resting no more than a minute between sets. But the exercises I should be doing and which body parts to sync up as well as when it’s time to progress reps / weights is something I’m a blur too. I can list all the capable exercises I have to work with if that would help, arranged by body part.

I do not have IFBB aspirations, just need to get in better shape and make use of the 2 grand worth of equipment I have.

To take care of the wife issue, I recommend going to a local gym and taking pictures of the on-staff aerobics instructor demonstrating various pieces of equipment available for use at a professional gym. Tell the instructor that your wife is interested in joining if need be.

Place these pictures in a conspicuous folder on your desktop labeled "Emergency Use Only". You will get tired of working out at home long before your wife forgets about those pictures.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

I have to disagree with the public gym being better than the home gym. You don't need a million dollar setup to be able to train every major muscle group, you just need some free weights, a bench, and some space on the floor. Hell, you can even improvise the weights and bench if need be. I've had times in the Army where no fitness equipment was available, so those of us who wanted to work out made our own barbells out of a mop handle with a box of rocks on either end, lol.

Here's why I think a home gym is preferable.

1) You're more likely to use it. I was far more inclined to work out when I had a gym less than a block from where I lived than I am now. It's a pain in the ass to have to drive over. If I could just walk into the other room, I'd probably spend a hell of a lot more time training than I do now.

2) Hygiene. You only have your own grime to worry about, not everyone else in town's.

3) Atmosphere. A few of you have said you really like the vibe of a public gym, where you have regular friends and whatever. That's fine. For those of us who are serious about our training, we don't want to be bothered while we lift. Like the Animal Pak posters say, shut up and squat. I do like to have music on while I train, but the music in most gyms I've been to sucks. It's nice to put on your own music without the hassle of headphones.

4) Privacy. This one's for the ladies, cuz half the mongoloids in public gyms are just there to stare at women. On the other end, there are no distractions when you train at home. Let's face it, no matter how serious you are about your workout, when an 11 starts doing bent over rows on the next bench over, it's not your form you're watching in that mirror.

Heavy Smoker;2141142 said:
You're an idiot, and watch way to much TV. If your working out you're not going to get fat from whey or creatine. I don't do much cardio and just focus on strength and defining my body, lifting weights actually burns way more calories than you think. Anyone that actually works out will tell you to take whey protein...

However Im not sure what hes trying to do, lose weight or bulk up?

You clearly didn't read and comprehend my post what so ever. I told him not to take Whey Creatine unless he dedicates himself and his diet to it OR he will get extra BM that he does not want. If you think you need Whey Creatine for lifting weights you are obviously still a kid and don't know very much about lifting and eating right, just a typical teeny bopper who wants to get huge and look like a muscle bound cock diesel with no fucking brain.

I never said it doesn't burn calories, it does. But in order to bulk up you have to replace the lost calories, so therefore you will not lose that much weight, you will drop fat and replace it with muscle, that is all. I know several people that have gotten huge without a single drop of Whey Creatine. YOU DO NOT NEED IT, IT HELPS, BUT IS NOT NEEDED AT ALL.

Mara

Knight

My take on it as far as the home gym vs professional gym is - whatever gets your ass out there to use the equipment is what you should do. When you get bored, you have to do something else.

A workout partner can be immensely useful for this purpose, because when you don't feel like doing it, they will give you that little push you need, and vice versa. If its never fun either (as in just doing tasks that you don't really enjoy, as opposed to sports), you are likely to burn out and not get back into it for quite a while.

Edalon

Squire

Mara, you seem to be a decent person. Some posts in other threads really show you are both respectful and kind to your fellow man. Good going mate!