UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Workout regiment

Workout regiment

So my wife is pissed as hell at all the exercise equipment I have accumulated based on the cost vs. the space they take up and I was wondering if we had any closet gym rats in the hybrid forum community. I never really got into the intelligent aspect of working out and could use some direction in going about setting up a program. I do know a few things like use weights that you can only do 8-10 reps to failure while resting no more than a minute between sets. But the exercises I should be doing and which body parts to sync up as well as when it’s time to progress reps / weights is something I’m a blur too. I can list all the capable exercises I have to work with if that would help, arranged by body part.

I do not have IFBB aspirations, just need to get in better shape and make use of the 2 grand worth of equipment I have.

Rasah

Sorceror
Re: Workout regiment

Reps/Weights/Exercises are all dependent on your goal... what equipment are you using?

and the cheapest/best investment you can ever make is to buy the "New Encyclopedia of Modern Body Building" for like $30... and DEFINITELY, get a a mirror set up(front/side if possible) if you can so you can really watch your form(which is more important that weight for seeing good gains)..

rasah is right on both counts, could always look into getting a trainer to come over and develop a routine with you or going to a gym and getting some tips

Equipment at my disposal is a Bowflex Blaze model, dumbels with free weights, eliptical machine, tread mill, an ab crunch machine.

My goals are to just get in better shape I have about 40 pounds i could lose and am just looking to lose 30 of it in the next 6 mos - year. My cardio should be ok I currently walk ~~7 miles 3 nights a week at my job so i have already began to exercise more than i use to (previously had a desk job) I have also started switching up my diet to a more healthy reasonable one.

Rasah

Sorceror

Prolly should of asked this in my first post but how many days a week do you have available to lift? I'd recommend 4-5 days /1-2 hours (including warm-up, abs, and stretch) if you can.

4 Day Routine would look something like: Chest (Monday), Back/Shoulders(Tuesday), Arms(Thursday), & Legs(Friday)

5 Day Routine you would push shoulders to Wednesday and do back and shoulders on separate days.

For your standard lifting 3 sets/8-12 reps(or to failure) is a nice pace to start off at.. You basically want your first set to be a warm-up 12 reps lighter weight but still challenging and struggling on the last couple reps. Next set, push yourself a little harder add a couple pounds to each side.. Last set, same thing.. This is where you will find out when it's time to move up weight.. Don't feel like you have to add weight every week(although you should try to push yourself) and don't feel like only adding one pound to each side isn't a gain because it definitely is.

NEVER do intense cardio after a routine just some light walking for ~10 mins or so.. keep your heart rate up but don't exhaust yourself. Try doing 10-15 minutes of cardio beforehand also to get your blood flowing in your muscles(again not intense). I try to keep my intense cardio workout and weight training hours apart or on completely different days(aim for 3-4 days of intense cardio a week to start).

AND I can not stress enough how important stretching is.. it prevents a lot of injury and you will start feeling amazing when you see how flexible you start getting again (also while lifting make sure to get full extensions on the exercise where it is safe, i.e. dumbbell curls - make sure you bring that arm completely parallel to your body before lifting it back up).

Lastly, Abs, you don't want them to get bulky so you are gonna want high reps and everyday. I always have done them pre-workout before my stretching. I would aim for 20-30 reps/2-3 sets per ab region(upper, lower, and sides) or about 15-20 minutes a day.

So a typical workout day would go like:
Cardio Warm-up=> Abs=> Stretch=> Lift=> Cardio Cool-down.

as far as diet goes: I am not gonna go crazy I think you know what's healthy and you have short term goals. Breakfast everyday; so important!!! Smaller meals 5-6 times a day and invest in some protein powder to take after your workouts.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me; I didn't wanna go crazy with information but I think this is a pretty solid foundation for getting started.

Just remember, form form form... and don't kill yourself for missing a day if your just not feeling like lifting on that day but try to find fun ways to keep yourself motivated.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

There are a lot of different ways you can set up your routine, and everyone I've talked to seems to have a different philosophy on it.

First, we need to establish a couple of things. One, your goal. You've said you're trying to lose weight. Building muscle is actually a great way to do that, as muscle tissue burns something like 35x as many calories as fatty tissue at rest. In other words, the more muscle you build, the more calories you'll burn, even while sleeping. So I would probably start by doing 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 reps per exercise, 3-4 exercises per muscle group. That's a pretty good amount for increasing your strength.

Second, how many days a week can you work out, and for how long? If you want to get results fast, you should try to work out 5 or 6 days a week, but give yourself at least one day of rest a week too. You can start out slow working 5 days a week by only doing one muscle group per day. As you get into the swing of it, you might pair up your muscle groups so that you can exercise certain ones twice a week.

As for how to set up your schedule, here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. Every muscle group needs recovery time. You can't train the same muscle every day. The actual theory behind weight training is that exertion damages your muscles, and they heal a tiny bit bigger and stronger each time that happens. It takes a good 48 hours for that healing to happen, so you should only train the same muscle group at most once every third day, especially at the start. Self-propelled exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, etc.) can usually be done every other day, but starting out slow (once a week at first) is a good idea.

2. Form is everything. As someone suggested above, get some mirrors and watch yourself. Get some personal training at the start if you can budget it. Bad form can lead to serious injury and at best you won't get the results you're looking for.

3. Work your legs. A lot of guys ignore legs because they're going for that V shape and want to make their upper bodies look bigger, not fill out their legs. If you don't want your legs to get huge, you just have to work them differently. More reps with less weight will tone them without producing extreme muscle growth. More importantly, your legs contain many of the biggest, strongest muscles in your body. Working those muscles is key to increasing and maintaining your testosterone level, and testosterone is crucial to muscle growth.

4. Exercises can be broken down several ways, but the simplest of these is "push" vs. "pull" exercises. "Push" exercises target your chest and your triceps. "Pull" exercises target your back and your biceps. For the lower body, hamstrings (back of the thighs) pull while quadriceps (front of the thighs) push. It's not entirely that simple, but the practical aspect is this: You can't train your chest without using your tri's, and you can't train your back without using your bi's. For that reason, you may want to train chest and tri's together, and back and bi's with each other. Or, you may want to train your arms early in the week so that they're not as strong when you train chest and back, so your chest and back have to carry their own weight.

5. It's easy to figure out what muscles an exercise targets. Every muscle works the same way - by contracting. Whether it's a flexor or an extensor, muscles always pull. Therefore, every motion uses the muscles that shorten as you do it, the muscles you're moving toward. Curling your arm obviously shortens your biceps, so that's a good example. You should be able to figure out what muscle any given exercise works based on that logic.

6. Free weights are almost always better than machines. Free weights require you not only to do the exercise you intend to do, but also to stabilize the weights as you do it. Stabilization uses a lot of the smaller muscles in your body that you don't target with your normal exercises. For example, the bench press only really targets your chest, triceps, and to a smaller extent your anterior deltoids (front of the shoulder). (Using #5, that should be obvious.) But just by holding the weight bar straight above you, you're using lots of small muscles of the chest, shoulder, back, and core.

7. Core strength is key. In exertion, muscles recruit other muscles. Many lifting motions are called "isolation exercises" because they attempt to isolate only a very limited number of muscles, thus forcing those muscles to work hardest and grow stronger. But in real-life motions, your body is going to recruit every muscle fiber available that can contribute to the task. Since your core is linked to all your other major muscle groups, your core is going to get recruited often. So if you want to be all-around strong, strengthen your core. By core I of course mean abs, lower back, and obliques (sides).

8. Change-up your routine every 6-8 weeks. If you keep using the same routine all the time, your body will get used to it and you will hit a plateau. To avoid that, change up your exercises every couple of months. You don't have to change your schedule, but change out which exercises you do for a given muscle. Example: If you've been doing standing curls, static curls, and hammer curls for your biceps, try switching to seated curls, preacher curls, and cable curls.

9. Keep your metabolism up. Your metabolism can be active (anabolic) or go into starvation mode (catabolic). When you're in a catabolic state, your body will store fat and your muscles will break down. Your body cycles between these states every day, so you'll want to make sure you only train while anabolic. All you need to do is eat about an hour before you train. Don't eat right before training, or you'll be weak and risk some major cramps (the reason is that your blood will be traveling to your digestive tract, away from your muscles, to process your food. Your muscles will be starved during that time). You'll also want to eat or drink something high in protein shortly after lifting, as your body needs protein to rebuild the muscles you've just damaged. On the same note, don't train for more than about an hour and a half in one session. Your body will go catabolic from overexertion, too.

Given all that, you may want to start with one muscle group a day. Here's a decent schedule to get you started.

Monday: Arms
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Chest
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Legs and Abs

This schedule will exhaust the small muscles of your arms first. That way, your back, chest, and shoulders all have to work a little harder on their given days, so you should get results faster. One caveat: start out very slow on Friday if you're doing legs and abs together. If you work both to failure, you're going to be very uncomfortable all weekend, especially if you have to climb a lot of stairs.

Here's another example starting schedule, one that only goes 3 days a week:

Monday: Chest and triceps (push exercises)
Wednesday: Back and biceps (pull exercises)
Friday: Shoulders and legs

Of course, abs are left out here, so you'll need to work those on your off days. Fortunately, you can do a ton of ab exercises with no equipment at all. Just google a few. The other drawback to this routine is that Monday and Wednesday will be long days. You need to rest between every set (45-90 seconds is ideal). And if you're doing chest and tri's together, both are going to be tired at the same time. I find that doing opposed groups is much more fluid, as on Friday, because you can train one muscle group and rest the other at the same time. Just do a set for one muscle, then a set for the other, and alternate through all your sets of all your exercises. Fridays will be quick. But on Monday, since you're using your tri's during your chest exercises, you won't want to go immediately into a triceps exercises 5 seconds after you finish your bench press.

There's more to it but I think this is a pretty good overview. If you post some more information on what your overall goals are, what muscle groups you really want to target, how many days a week and for how long a day you can train, and what exercises you're comfortable with, I can give you some more detailed information to help you come up with a good routine, and then in another 6 weeks we'll update it.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

Rasah;2140641 said:
Prolly should of asked this in my first post but how many days a week do you have available to lift? I'd recommend 4-5 days /1-2 hours (including warm-up, abs, and stretch) if you can.

4 Day Routine would look something like: Chest (Monday), Back/Shoulders(Tuesday), Arms(Thursday), & Legs(Friday)

5 Day Routine you would push shoulders to Wednesday and do back and shoulders on separate days.

For your standard lifting 3 sets/8-12 reps(or to failure) is a nice pace to start off at.. You basically want your first set to be a warm-up 12 reps lighter weight but still challenging and struggling on the last couple reps. Next set, push yourself a little harder add a couple pounds to each side.. Last set, same thing.. This is where you will find out when it's time to move up weight.. Don't feel like you have to add weight every week(although you should try to push yourself) and don't feel like only adding one pound to each side isn't a gain because it definitely is.

NEVER do intense cardio after a routine just some light walking for ~10 mins or so.. keep your heart rate up but don't exhaust yourself. Try doing 10-15 minutes of cardio beforehand also to get your blood flowing in your muscles(again not intense). I try to keep my intense cardio workout and weight training hours apart or on completely different days(aim for 3-4 days of intense cardio a week to start).

AND I can not stress enough how important stretching is.. it prevents a lot of injury and you will start feeling amazing when you see how flexible you start getting again (also while lifting make sure to get full extensions on the exercise where it is safe, i.e. dumbbell curls - make sure you bring that arm completely parallel to your body before lifting it back up).

Lastly, Abs, you don't want them to get bulky so you are gonna want high reps and everyday. I always have done them pre-workout before my stretching. I would aim for 20-30 reps/2-3 sets per ab region(upper, lower, and sides) or about 15-20 minutes a day.

So a typical workout day would go like:
Cardio Warm-up=> Abs=> Stretch=> Lift=> Cardio Cool-down.

as far as diet goes: I am not gonna go crazy I think you know what's healthy and you have short term goals. Breakfast everyday; so important!!! Smaller meals 5-6 times a day and invest in some protein powder to take after your workouts.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me; I didn't wanna go crazy with information but I think this is a pretty solid foundation for getting started.

Just remember, form form form... and don't kill yourself for missing a day if your just not feeling like lifting on that day but try to find fun ways to keep yourself motivated.

There's some very good info here. One thing I would add is that stretching after is probably more important than stretching before. Also, if you're trying to test your strength and find out what the most you can lift is, don't stretch immediately before that. Stretching reduces your peak strength by about 10-15% for 15 minutes.

Edalon

Squire

I would gladly discuss this topic with you in game. My char is Edalon. Or send me a pm with your specific goals and I will try to help you. If you are working out at home, I suggest getting a portable pull up bar and preferably a portable dipping stand as well. The dumbbells should go up to atleast 80 lbs each. Then you will have some nice options at your disposal. With some weights and good knowledge of bodyweight excercises coupled with sound dietary habits many goals will be attainable.

Edalon

Squire

LKP;2140643 said:
There's some very good info here. One thing I would add is that stretching after is probably more important than stretching before. Also, if you're trying to test your strength and find out what the most you can lift is, don't stretch immediately before that. Stretching reduces your peak strength by about 10-15% for 15 minutes.

Static stretching yes, dynamic stretching, not necessarily. However I agree with stretching after working out.

Edalon

Squire

LKP;2140642 said:
1. Every muscle group needs recovery time. You can't train the same muscle every day. The actual theory behind weight training is that exertion damages your muscles, and they heal a tiny bit bigger and stronger each time that happens. It takes a good 48 hours for that healing to happen, so you should only train the same muscle group at most once every third day, especially at the start. Self-propelled exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, etc.) can usually be done every other day, but starting out slow (once a week at first) is a good idea.

In my opinion (and that of most succesful strengthcoaches) its not really the muscles that need recovery, but rather the cns (central nervous system), muscles can be worked every day. Ever seen olympic lifters? They do the same lifts from 5 days a week to multiple sessions every day. Huge muscles, great explosivity and strength. Its all about how you program it, going at it gradually AND diet/rest.

zoo york

Knight

of no importance;2140628 said:
Equipment at my disposal is a Bowflex Blaze model, dumbels with free weights, eliptical machine, tread mill, an ab crunch machine.

My goals are to just get in better shape I have about 40 pounds i could lose and am just looking to lose 30 of it in the next 6 mos - year. My cardio should be ok I currently walk ~~7 miles 3 nights a week at my job so i have already began to exercise more than i use to (previously had a desk job) I have also started switching up my diet to a more healthy reasonable one.

Every 4 days do everything in one day[Bench Press[Swap it out with incline/decline, skullcrushers, curling, Squats, Shoulder shrugs I may be forgetting some] Then take 2 scoops of previously bought protein powder, in 2 days run for 30 minutes/an hour[cardio for 30 minutes or an hour] then in another 2 days workout again. Works great.

I appreciate everyone's advice and help, my timeline is such that I have at least 5 hours a day to do what ever so i could fit any routine in any schedule

peteliv

Knight

deffo get a mirror want to make sure you are doing the reps right really sucks to pull a muscle

dixie

Sorceror

Join instrength.com and follow Mike's beginner workout. Trust me, if you couple that with moderate cardio, you will like what happens. In 12 weeks, you'll gain 10-15lbs of lean muscle mass. This is applicable to the ladies as well (ok maybe I just put on muscle better than some, but I was squatting more than some of the guys at the gym).

Also, throw the Foux Flex and other "workout" equipment away. The elliptical might be worth keeping but the rest of that stuff is overpriced junk. Pay $15 a month to join a gym with free weights and a squat rack.

Edalon

Squire

In my opinion a wellequipped homegym is superior to 90 percent of commercial gyms, since they truly suck, equipmentwise AND environmentally.

If you are a newbie, most programs will work as your body is unused to the strain. For those recommending Arnolds book, I say that is bad advise. Its a cool book but the info is very outdated AND based on a very specific situation...Dont waste that first year, you can really build alot of muscle if that is your goal in the first year. You dont need to split the body 5 ways. Rather pick 3-5 basic excercises and do those monday, wednesday, friday. With basic excercises I mean those that are compound and hit many different muscles at once. Whilst keeping good form, execute the excercises as explosively as possible. Stop the set when you are slowing down. Examples of excercises to pick would be Pull ups and chins of different variations, dips on the bars and different variations, floor presses, standing presses, bent over rowing, squats and front squats, deadlifts and power cleans.

From workout to workout always try to add more weight to the bar/dumbbells or more reps using the same weight whilst keeping strict form. When you notice that you stall, change the excercises you use or make some changes within the excercise such as handspacing or the like.
As for sets and reps, if its bigger muscles you are after I say do more sets and lower reps, like 8 sets of 5 reps or 10 sets of 3 reps or 6 sets of 4 reps. For variation do the common 3x10 or 3x8 routines but spend most of the work in the 3-5 range.

Try to eat good stuff, make sure to eat alot of vegetables and greens as well as proteinrich food such as meat, fish, seafood and eggs, cottage cheese and some other cheeses are good too. Make sure to eat berries and get fishoil as well. After a workout you should make sure to eat alot since that is a window of opportunity. You could have a protein drink right after the workout and then 30 mins- 1 hour later have a balanced meal, with alot of protein in it.

Edalon

Squire

Oh and lest I forget, losing weight is to 90 percent a matter of using a correct diet, and having the right habits longterm will keep that weight in check. Use weights to work the muscles and cardio to get better conditioned, but as for losing fat, a proper diet is where its at.