UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Tamer Balance

How should taming be balanced?

• Remove bonding

Votes: 237 17.0%
  • Reduce pet speed

Votes: 138 9.9%
  • Reduce pet damage

Votes: 182 13.0%
  • Heavier bonded pet skill loss

Votes: 145 10.4%
  • Remove recall with bonded pets

Votes: 193 13.8%
  • Its fine how it is

Votes: 822 58.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eboras

Wanderer
Re: Tamer Balance

Its fine the way it is. I would be grateful if you could put up a poll asking if nightmares should be put back in play and inform all players (ask them if they want a gm to open they web browser...).

Robo-hybrid

Wanderer

If tamers are going to continue to be over powered with bonded pets and such.. Then bring back the skill herding to make things semi-fair.

Yes, herding = griefing towards pamperd tamers. Anyone who knows what pvp is, and the concept of risk VS reward would agree with me on this.

Apocal

Wanderer

I think what is being complained about here is the inability of dealing with pets in pvp type situations more so than anything. In this case there are many ways of dealing with this situation, you just have to figure them out. I haven't been on this shard for very long, but I played UO in the live version for many many years and found that tamers were actually quite easily to deal with. I think it's fine as it is.

Edit: I agree with the herding skill :)

zero said:
Pets have been an issue for a long time now. It's clearly known that pets are a way hunt (farm as many call it) for gold and engage in player vs. player combat. I have had many discussions with Mark about how to most effectively make taming more "fair". While yes, people say that "taming is a skill to, and you should get those benefits" other skills don't give you very much, such as begging.

As of right now, pet bonding has virtually eliminated team hunting on single monsters except the few hardest spawns on the server. It has allowed (especially with recalling) single players to turn into gank squads. It's no secret that nightmares/dragons/ww's have a rediculous amount of health and mana. So what you get is something that won't be directly attacked because of bonded pet resurrection, but also because it's hard to kill, even with a small gank squad constantly ebolting.

The other main issue is "well I trained my pet". Lets be honest, stat loss is really not that bad for pets currently. Half the time when the tamer actually dies, people don't even kill their pets. This causes a real problem known as pet luring. Pet luring happens because people hate pets, and realize that pets are currently unfair in pvp. If they were fair, nobody would waste their time leading someone's pet 20 minutes away.

Personally I'm for removing bonding, and not the weakening of pets. It's understandable that there is still risk for tamers while hunting due to pk groups etc. However, if people are going to use pets, and train them, then they should be more careful with them. And what, you lose your pet, it will take a little time to tame a new one. God forbid that anyone spend a little extra time to keep their advantage over monsters and other players.

I think that it's an excellent alternative to weakening pets and making them more useless, while discouraging people to use pets in pvp a bit more unless they want to spend more time taming.
Zero...I honestly don't know where you're coming from, unless all you play is reds and are looking for ways to screw blue tamers. I'll take your points one at a time...

1) Team hunting doesnt' work, except in rare instances. It's very hard to hook up with folks, if you only have an hour to play. I look at what OSI did to Deceit Lich Lords and I want to puke. They said they made them harder for "Teams" and guess what? No one went there anymore. Champ spawns are for teams, and look how underused they are. Get the idea? Teams are guilds, factions, and gank squads.

2a) Flat-rate Skill loss in Pets sucks. It should be graduated so that you don't lose so much at the high end. It's a killer to lose 0.2 at 90 magery. As a result, we have pets with far lower skills now. There's no point in training them too high.

2b) People don't lure pets because they think pets are unfair. People lure pets to fuck over the other player. It's griefing plain and simple. When a scumbag red brings his pets into Minoc cave to kill miners, I always take the extra 20 minutes to lure the mares away and screw the guy. I put them on a boat, wait for them to go wild, retame them. Actually, it's the only way to get mares now, unless you want to run around the Del woods for an hour each day...which is pointless and not fun.

Nowadays, if you lose your mare, you're fucked. Mine only go from stable to dungeon and back. I never use them for pvp anymore. I will sometimes tame a dragon for pvp. There's still lots of them.

3) Removing bonding is an awful idea. It takes a lot of work to tame and train a pet. What you're really saying is get rid of pet training.

What needs to happen imo is the following:

A) Stat (er skill) loss for reds ASAP (reduce red population)
B) Get the reds out of town (make them safe again)
C) Pets belonging to a red player should also be red
D) Pets (reds ones) that die should suffer massive stat loss

This would reduce reds and make farming on UOG a non-suicide mission, and draw a better (less griefer) contingent of players. Nowadays, the only folks that farm are the reds. Blues go to other UO servers for peaceful play, and come to UOG for forced-PVP excitement.

Malik-hybrid

Wanderer

MarcusO said:
2a) Flat-rate Skill loss in Pets sucks. It should be graduated so that you don't lose so much at the high end. It's a killer to lose 0.2 at 90 magery. As a result, we have pets with far lower skills now. There's no point in training them too high.

2b) People don't lure pets because they think pets are unfair. People lure pets to fuck over the other player. It's griefing plain and simple. When a scumbag red brings his pets into Minoc cave to kill miners, I always take the extra 20 minutes to lure the mares away and screw the guy. I put them on a boat, wait for them to go wild, retame them. Actually, it's the only way to get mares now, unless you want to run around the Del woods for an hour each day...which is pointless and not fun.

Nowadays, if you lose your mare, you're fucked. Mine only go from stable to dungeon and back. I never use them for pvp anymore. I will sometimes tame a dragon for pvp. There's still lots of them.

3) Removing bonding is an awful idea. It takes a lot of work to tame and train a pet. What you're really saying is get rid of pet training.

Very good points!
Training a pet to GM skills is close to the same time spent gming the skills of 5 seperate characters on this shard. It takes a long time and a lot of bandaids.

Its not like anyone can chase you down with pets. They are slow and used for farming. It looks to me like a lot of pks are angry becuase they die to them trying to pick off a lowly tamer. Gimmie a break. This is a terrible poll.

Robo said:
If tamers are going to continue to be over powered with bonded pets and such.. Then bring back the skill herding to make things semi-fair.

Yes, herding = griefing towards pamperd tamers. Anyone who knows what pvp is, and the concept of risk VS reward would agree with me on this.
Robo,

Currently, Peacemaking is the tamer-griefing skill of choice...and my tamer hates the fact that it's not an aggessive act. In other words, any player can "peace" another's pet, rendering it inoperable for a while (30 secs?),
and then dump on the tamer. The pet stands nearby like a rock.

Robo-hybrid

Wanderer

MarcusO said:
Robo,

Currently, Peacemaking is the tamer-griefing skill of choice...and my tamer hates the fact that it's not an aggessive act. In other words, any player can "peace" another's pet, rendering it inoperable for a while (30 secs?),
and then dump on the tamer. The pet stands nearby like a rock.

The point is, they removed herding because tamers were crying about losing bonded pets. Boo hoo.... Do tamers need a bib too?

how about- if you kill the tamer, the pet stops attacking you? or does it already do that? if i see a tamer- i usually bolt. or gank him and invis.

milva

Sorceror

It is really "pointless" with being a tamer any more. Most tamers do not have eval or resist. If you vist any area any more to try and make some gp, its a waste of time and energy. Cause sure enough reds with gank- at least 3v1 , and your time spent will be trying to find a healer. If you go back, most will just res kill ya...

Sammich

Wanderer

I suggest using the paralize spell more often. Tamed pets are extremely slow, and easy to get away from. Get over it

MoxMcPox

Wanderer

lawl

The percentages are messed up.

10% for one
10%for another
13%
13%
16%

All for some kind of tamer nerf.

Thats around 59% against.
Its fine the way it is has 57%

Wtfs? Polling is messed.

Sam-hybrid

Knight

keep em the same, i have 2 7x mares both with 525 str but i use them for hunting not killing, being a tamer pk is one stupid and 2 sad..

why would you remove bonding????? The fact that you work you butt off to train some of those animals would make it absolutely heartbreaking if you lost them everytime they died. It would be as if you had lost your main character after building him for over a year and having a shitload of rares.

raithianellis

Sorceror

Tamers are simply too good for just milking spawns. People can't hunt solo on this shard unless they're a tamer, because you'll get rolled over by roaming reds/tamers who kill you in 3 hits.

raithianellis

Sorceror

ryland52586 said:
why would you remove bonding????? The fact that you work you butt off to train some of those animals would make it absolutely heartbreaking if you lost them everytime they died. It would be as if you had lost your main character after building him for over a year and having a shitload of rares.

Bonding wasn't part of UO for a damn long time, and it helped the economy. By not having bonding, the price of exotic and good pets went up, balancing out the fact that tamers can milk spawns. Still a tamer could tame an animal themselves for free, but back on OSI many people just bought them. Just a bit on insight. I think removing bonding may help out the economy a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.