UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Explosion pots ruin uogamers

girtrute

Wanderer
Re: Explosion pots ruin uogamers

DragonSlayer69r;1745234 said:
Bullshit. UOASSIST had everything razor does and it was there way before AOS. And people DID use purple potions back in the day. I vividly remember being chain para'd and then boxes placed around me when i was REALLY new to the game. All they did after that was light my world up with pots. I remember this because i was franticly double clicking the ones on the floor trying to throw them back at them.
last target was illegal and only useable with uoassist. obviously these guys werent using a program to throw them at perfect timeing otherwise you wouldnt have even clicked.uoassist did have alot, but the perfectly timed pot throw macros werent implemented till around trammel/aos times.
realy anything outside the uo option list should be illegal. to make it fair.

girtrute;1745253 said:
last target was illegal and only useable with uoassist. obviously these guys werent using a program to throw them at perfect timeing otherwise you wouldnt have even clicked.uoassist did have alot, but the perfectly timed pot throw macros werent implemented till around trammel/aos times.
realy anything outside the uo option list should be illegal. to make it fair.

UO has been around for 11 years. All of which i have played non stop. The game will constantly change and people have to change with it. And no i dont mean like the dramatic ass changes like necros and ninja's. Everything about anything can be countered. Im personally just tired of the amount of trammy bullshit this shard has. I swear there are more trammelites here then there were on OSI. Purple potions are fine. If anything needs to be changed about them then the same should go for mounts, bolas,runic weps, power scrolls all that trammy ass shit. 11 years ago you ran everywhere and avoided brit x-roads even though there was a fully suited grey corpse on the road( it was a trap). If you cant muster up 5k gold for a 20 charge miniheal wand or 10k for a gheal wand, then go back to Brit GY. You dont need to be anywhere near ANY PVP. When i get potted down i dont cry about it. I regret not bringign a heal wand. Hybrid is about PVP. If not for potions or wands or bandaids no mage 1v1 would ever end. Stop crying about how potions are OP and start thinking of a counter. People bitch about dexxers and purple potions and wands...anything to cry about something. Like i said in a previous post, learn how to fight. MR, RA, Protection, Wrestling fucking gm barbed leather armour, all of that shit will help you live longer. UO is damn near dead, UOG is about all the UO left to play. If you dont like it, make your own shard and just have you and your friends play. Some things need to be tweaked every now and then, but if you look at general disc. right now there are 4 fucking threads about purple potions. Adapt or die.

Icey;1745242 said:
that might be true if every one and their mother wasn't using a power/vanq weapon

50-75 damage a hit, fuck you

0 AR? fuck you

I do not go outside my fucking house with out at least 25AR, and RA on a hotkey.

wocka

Sorceror

change the aoe how its regularly and see how fast ur pot spam lasts.. this is the only way to balance this OP explosion keg throwing

girtrute

Wanderer

DragonSlayer69r;1745259 said:
UO has been around for 11 years. All of which i have played non stop. The game will constantly change and people have to change with it. And no i dont mean like the dramatic ass changes like necros and ninja's. Everything about anything can be countered. Im personally just tired of the amount of trammy bullshit this shard has. I swear there are more trammelites here then there were on OSI. Purple potions are fine. If anything needs to be changed about them then the same should go for mounts, bolas,runic weps, power scrolls all that trammy ass shit. 11 years ago you ran everywhere and avoided brit x-roads even though there was a fully suited grey corpse on the road( it was a trap). If you cant muster up 5k gold for a 20 charge miniheal wand or 10k for a gheal wand, then go back to Brit GY. You dont need to be anywhere near ANY PVP. When i get potted down i dont cry about it. I regret not bringign a heal wand. Hybrid is about PVP. If not for potions or wands or bandaids no mage 1v1 would ever end. Stop crying about how potions are OP and start thinking of a counter. People bitch about dexxers and purple potions and wands...anything to cry about something. Like i said in a previous post, learn how to fight. MR, RA, Protection, Wrestling fucking gm barbed leather armour, all of that shit will help you live longer. UO is damn near dead, UOG is about all the UO left to play. If you dont like it, make your own shard and just have you and your friends play. Some things need to be tweaked every now and then, but if you look at general disc. right now there are 4 fucking threads about purple potions. Adapt or die.
pots realy arent a big deal if they werent used with a secondary program. i doubt people would want to use them as much if they had to click on the pots there self wich is how it should be,couse anything outside of uo options can be manipulated bigtime. but uogamers pvp is starting to revolve around pots wich is lame. it shouldnt be were everyone needs pots. that reminds me of tram 3d mmorpg's were the one with the most pots wins. some reson when i think of haveing to play with pots i feal like maybe i should just play a aos server with no tram.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

Pill Puller-GL;1744279 said:
lol ya i've been thinking about trying one of these "t2a era" servers but then u got insta hally hit gayness. there is just gayness all over the place! any way someone can kill someone in the cheapest and easiest fashion will do so. if there were cheat codes for uo everyone would use them. staff has hard decisions to make though because there are a lot of people that want them and a lot that don't. same with other issues. i say END VENT MAKE IT ILLEGAL. that is what TRUELY ruins the game.

I'm all for getting rid of vent, but that's obviously impossible. Even if they had some punkbuster-like program monitoring all the processes you're running, people would just start getting their guildies on the phone. This is already a better idea, as there's no noticeable lag like there is with vent.

But as for "hally hit gayness?" The only issue there is that no shard out there has the timing right. Divinity's staff intentionally changed it to make it more fast-paced. Other shards have done the same, or simply gotten it wrong as they pieced it together from memory.

If it were working as it used to, there wouldn't be anything cheap about a hally combo.

It had a long swing timer, based on the last time you swung anything (including a fist). Therefore, all you had to do was run into the attacker while he was casting, forcing him to throw a punch, and resetting his swing timer. That would buy you enough time to heal up and/or start a counter-attack if you timed it well. That's a great counter because it's available to everyone regardless of template. You could also disrupt the spells, put up RA or MR, parry if you had it, run while he's frozen, precast your own heal, or hope your resist works or the hally misses. Those could all save you from the decidedly over-hyped hally combo.

Purple potions are a different issue because they can't be resisted, or parried. Armor does nothing, nor does resist. They always hit if timed reasonably well (with a huge margin of error). They don't freeze the user in place, so you can't outrun them. There's nothing you can do to disrupt them, either. In short, they're cheap. The same goes for wands.

I'll also comment on the "necessary evil" line someone dropped back around page 7. It was something like "purple potions are needed to stop people from running away." It's true that it's too easy to run away from a fight in UO, but it wasn't always that way. I say the best solution to this problem is the historically accurate one. It consists of two parts:

1) Restore mount stamina to its Pre-UOR function. I could exhaust a horse then by running across one town on dial-up. Now I can run the entire length of the continent at a broadband sprint and my horse never fatigues.

2) Restore mount combat functionality. That is, "You cannot get on a mount while it is fighting."

This accomplishes so many good things for PvP in one blow. First, you fix this problem of endlessly running away. After sprinting a few screens, the runner will have to stop and dismount to feed his pet to restore its stamina. While he's dismounted, you'll have an opportunity to engage the mount in combat, stopping him from remounting to flee.

Secondly, you bring some balance to bola tamers in the form of "risk vs. reward." If they want to try and dismount you and then sick their nightmare on you, they're going to have to deal with the fact that they can't easily pull their mare out of the fight at that point. Of course, you'll probably see a lot more of them anyway, if mares continue to have significantly more stamina than horses.

You'll also get more non-tamer players to join factions so they can get warhorses, also for the additional stamina.

More combat will end up on foot, which is great for several reasons. Off-screening is much more difficult. It's impossible to "fastwalk" a horse to abuse the client prediction... so this is good for dexers. The animations are better, so it's more fun to watch.

Of course, the purple potion issue would only be exacerbated, since running is the vital part of either "defense" that currently exists for GE pots (breaking LOS, and closing with the user). Therefore, this change should come paired with a significant nerf to purple potions.

And to nerf purple potions, there are a ton of options. I'm not saying to do all of these, but rather to choose one:

One.

- Increase the cooldown timer by a good 5 seconds. Purples shouldn't be any faster than yellows.

- Freeze the user in place (as a spell) while cooking off a purple potion.

- Institute a delay when the potion lands before it detonates, a la divinity, making them less effective against moving targets unless the user is good enough to throw in front of his mark.

- Reclassify the damage. Either make it physical so RA, parry, and armor work; or make it magical so resist (and maybe MR) does.

- Give them a chance to miss. Increase this chance if the user is running while he throws it.

In short, give them some kind of drawback like everything else has. And, return the AoE rules to the old ones. As they are now they're confusing, unbalancing, and illogical, all for the sake of letting a few morons haphazardly throw bombs around town in the presence of innocents. That's taking strategy out of the game, and dumbing it down. The current AoE rules suck.

LKP

Suil Ban;1744436 said:
Maybe gheal is capped at 45 or so here; regardless, that's a lot of damage. Bandages heal 60+ damage very often. How are explo pots thrown more often than that? They have a 5-second between-throw delay and the countdown is 3 or 4 seconds.

Because the timers don't stack. The cooldown timer starts when you double click the potion. This is at least the third time I'm linking you to an rpv proving that.

6 potions, 29 seconds.

UOMovies.com

The only way I can see it taking longer would be if you're cancelling the potion to cast, then using the potion again. But that's not spamming, is it?

girtrute

Wanderer

Suil Ban;1745321 said:
People haven't clicked pots since 1998. You need to fucking adapt.
actualy alot people clicked pots even after 98. but seriously adapt thats like saying you should have adapted to the osi version trammel/aos bull shit. the game shouldnt be based around pots like every 3d crap mmorpg out there.
and forceing people to have to tap the pots themselves would solve any problems with the pots people are haveing now.

Code Blue

Knight

Suil Ban;1745487 said:
I did adapt to the release of Trammel. Wanna know how?

I went to Felucca and factioned. I quit before AoS came out.

Same.. I accually quit when trammel came into place

Suil Ban;1745487 said:
I did adapt to the release of Trammel. Wanna know how?

I went to Felucca and factioned. I quit before AoS came out.

Exactly on the factioning point, although I made it to the AoS release then quit about 2 weeks afterwards.

[T3S]-Curly

Wanderer

Stides;1745536 said:
If you die to purple pots u suck end of story

That's it, folks. Thread over.

Stides, with his excellent contribution to this thread, has completely nullified any and all points contrary to his beliefs.

I tip my hat to you, good sir.

LKP;1745353 said:
1) Restore mount stamina to its Pre-UOR function. I could exhaust a horse then by running across one town on dial-up. Now I can run the entire length of the continent at a broadband sprint and my horse never fatigues.

2) Restore mount combat functionality. That is, "You cannot get on a mount while it is fighting."

This accomplishes so many good things for PvP in one blow. First, you fix this problem of endlessly running away. After sprinting a few screens, the runner will have to stop and dismount to feed his pet to restore its stamina. While he's dismounted, you'll have an opportunity to engage the mount in combat, stopping him from remounting to flee.

- Increase the cooldown timer by a good 5 seconds. Purples shouldn't be any faster than yellows.

I use a Alchy Thief and a Stun Alchy as my main and secondary. I 100% support this as a change. Its tiring of how mych gold i have to spend on purple's just to be able to fight back.

LKP;1745353 said:
I'm all for getting rid of vent, but that's obviously impossible. Even if they had some punkbuster-like program monitoring all the processes you're running, people would just start getting their guildies on the phone. This is already a better idea, as there's no noticeable lag like there is with vent.

But as for "hally hit gayness?" The only issue there is that no shard out there has the timing right. Divinity's staff intentionally changed it to make it more fast-paced. Other shards have done the same, or simply gotten it wrong as they pieced it together from memory.

If it were working as it used to, there wouldn't be anything cheap about a hally combo.

It had a long swing timer, based on the last time you swung anything (including a fist). Therefore, all you had to do was run into the attacker while he was casting, forcing him to throw a punch, and resetting his swing timer. That would buy you enough time to heal up and/or start a counter-attack if you timed it well. That's a great counter because it's available to everyone regardless of template. You could also disrupt the spells, put up RA or MR, parry if you had it, run while he's frozen, precast your own heal, or hope your resist works or the hally misses. Those could all save you from the decidedly over-hyped hally combo.

Purple potions are a different issue because they can't be resisted, or parried. Armor does nothing, nor does resist. They always hit if timed reasonably well (with a huge margin of error). They don't freeze the user in place, so you can't outrun them. There's nothing you can do to disrupt them, either. In short, they're cheap. The same goes for wands.

I'll also comment on the "necessary evil" line someone dropped back around page 7. It was something like "purple potions are needed to stop people from running away." It's true that it's too easy to run away from a fight in UO, but it wasn't always that way. I say the best solution to this problem is the historically accurate one. It consists of two parts:

Secondly, you bring some balance to bola tamers in the form of "risk vs. reward." If they want to try and dismount you and then sick their nightmare on you, they're going to have to deal with the fact that they can't easily pull their mare out of the fight at that point. Of course, you'll probably see a lot more of them anyway, if mares continue to have significantly more stamina than horses.

You'll also get more non-tamer players to join factions so they can get warhorses, also for the additional stamina.

More combat will end up on foot, which is great for several reasons. Off-screening is much more difficult. It's impossible to "fastwalk" a horse to abuse the client prediction... so this is good for dexers. The animations are better, so it's more fun to watch.

Of course, the purple potion issue would only be exacerbated, since running is the vital part of either "defense" that currently exists for GE pots (breaking LOS, and closing with the user). Therefore, this change should come paired with a significant nerf to purple potions.

And to nerf purple potions, there are a ton of options. I'm not saying to do all of these, but rather to choose one:

One.

- Institute a delay when the potion lands before it detonates, a la divinity, making them less effective against moving targets unless the user is good enough to throw in front of his mark.

- Reclassify the damage. Either make it physical so RA, parry, and armor work; or make it magical so resist (and maybe MR) does.

- Give them a chance to miss. Increase this chance if the user is running while he throws it.

In short, give them some kind of drawback like everything else has. And, return the AoE rules to the old ones. As they are now they're confusing, unbalancing, and illogical, all for the sake of letting a few morons haphazardly throw bombs around town in the presence of innocents. That's taking strategy out of the game, and dumbing it down. The current AoE rules suck.

Probably the most intelligent solution I have ever heard on these forums to any problem so far. That is an excellent solution! You sound like you are pretty old school yourself =D. Ya everything was different back on the dialup days. That still leaves the open end of it though:

What are to become of purple potions if something like that was implemented? Maybe just nerf their damage so they do not do much at all along with make them hit everyone like the old field spell rules.

I back that mount stamina idea though 100% though. It would stop going cross country across the map (which people seem to do even in a 1v1 now a days).

However, all things considered I think staff likes the fact that purple potions are here. Purple potions are used everywhere and in mass quantities. People are spending lots of money on kegs and/or ash to make them. All for the potion to be consumed. This helps chew up some of the donated gold that floods our economy on hybrid although maybe only a small dent. Same with any consumable ANYTHING. Hair dye for example.

LKP

Even if there were no donation gold, we've collectively been farming millions of gold a day for years now. Given that every monster that spawns brings several times as many gold coins with it, inflation is inevitable.

Still, it's not that bad on this shard. The biggest problem I've seen across the board with inflation is housing prices... and while it's rare to actually find a place you can fit a new house, IDOC's fall every day and small houses are given away for free. PvP supplies aren't really affected by economics, which is how it should be.

Besides, you're looking at two different groups of players with this question. The first is the players who inflate the economy by amassing ridiculous amounts of wealth. These are the tamers, the bards, the banksitters who have to show off the latest obnoxiously-hued item. The other is the people who spend money on exhaustible supplies: The PvPers. It is the PvPers, willing or otherwise, who put money into gear which might decay with their bodies, or which will break on the battlefield, or simply get used up like the potions you mention. While these two groups are not mutually exclusive, there's not a whole lot of overlap.

It's true that purple potion use results in the destruction of a bottle and a few ash, and so a little bit of gold. But I don't see the economy suddenly collapsing if people find viable alternatives to alchemy. Do you really want to sacrifice the quality of PvP in a meaningless effort to repair the damage done to the economy by non-PvPers?

Icey

Sorceror

LKP;1745353 said:

quoting this because it needs attention

[T3S]-Curly

Wanderer

Maybe they should revamp all of Alchemy and make only slight changes to purples. How's this:

- Every 5 points in Alchemy increases the effectiveness of cure, heal, refresh, and explosion potions by 1%, with GM Alchemy providing a 25% bonus. A 20-point gHeal potion now restores 25 points. Rather than increasing the effectiveness of stat-altering (strength, agility) and Night Sight potions their duration is increased by the same percentage.
- Add a 5 second cooldown between usage of heal, cure and explosion potions.
- Every 10 points in Alchemy decreases the cooldown of timed potions (Heals, Cures, Explosions) by 0.1 seconds, with an additional 0.5 second bonus (1.5 total) at GM Alchemy.

- Eliminate the 'homing missile' aspect of purples.
- Update the AoE aspect of purples so that damage is based like so:

Code:
(In percentages)
+---+---+---+
| 50| 75| 50|
+---+---+---+
| 75|100| 75|
+---+---+---+
| 50| 75| 50|
+---+---+---+

You do 100% damage if the pot lands right on them but still allows for some splash damage if your aim is off. This gives a slight advantage to those who are capable of immobilizing their target or good at "leading" their target.

- Eliminate the cooking time of purples. Instead, make it like an insta-Explosion spell. You use the item, and toss it at someone (or the ground). When it hits, it instantly does damage. This would require you to somehow slow your opponent down to make purples very effective (see above).
- Cap the damage of purples to 20 points (25 with gm Alchy, see above).

- In order to use potions, one hand must be free.
- If you have recently moved (within 1 second) or are taking damage, you have a chance to "fumble" and lose your potion. This applies to all types of potions. If you "fumble" an explosion potion, you drop it at your feet and it does half the damage of the chart above.

Durrrrrrrr

Sorceror

or, this would fix the offscreen issue, as far as i am aware of, there isnt a range check on pots like there are spells, how bout coding in a range check, solves the crying of people being off screen

Durrrrrrrr

Sorceror

hoglegs;1743676 said:
AoE on UOGamers won't go back to its original function, mainly because of factioners crying due to getting guardwhacked for tossing explosion pots in town. It also causes them to get murder counts and get ganked by tons of blues outside of town, interrupting their awesome faction eliteness, which, in turn, causes more crying. Damn babies.. I'm all for AoE working CORRECTLY. GM's please make it so.. PLEASE.

QFT, i'm for this as well as wiping faction points and having point decay work correctly, you shouldnt gain points for sitting online 24/7 and haveing a gain rate if they just happen to kill 1 person in a 48 hr period