UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Explosion pots ruin uogamers

Re: Explosion pots ruin uogamers

The truth is do the people who say its fine the way it is know how to use a char without Alchy. What if hybrid was to take away alchy period would you cry that you are over powered and cant chase down any runner or noob and own his ass. Would you make the same threads we are now and suggest changes. Its not as if we want the pots gone just fixed to the way they should be. There is no way you should do something without a consequence and just chasing people around hurling pots up thier asses should be a little harder than it is.

just get rid of all purples and implement glacial staves that do one hit kills. that would fix everyone's running problem ;)

Blous3s

Wanderer

if anything is changed with purple pots i dont think the cooldown timer to be equal to that of yellow pots would be the correct solution. if that were the case then it would almost completely nullify the potions alltogether. anytime people would see someone starting a dump with a purples they would just know that the yellow would save them alltogether. alchy duels would have the skill of mini/ greater heal timing in between purples taken completely out of it, which imo is the hardest thing to work on when becoming a better alchy dueler. am i correct? i think the best idea for a change if one is made at all would be to give them a chance to miss... it would then be comparable to resisting psn ya know? personally i dont see a problem but IF anything IS done this is at least my opinion.

Mara

Knight

The rest of the game in Hybrid just isn't coded so that you can get rid of purples or make them a hell of a lot more ineffective to use.

Take warhammer hits for example. Yeah, they seem like a lot, but the swing timer is such that if you get hit, you simply need to cast a greater heal which you have plenty of time to do before the next swing. Maybe chug a greater heal pot to make up the difference. The same goes for a lot of the other heavy hitting two-handed weapons. Since the dexer special moves are passive here, you can't rely on them to put your damage and effects in when you want to, so all the weapon skills are extremely ineffective alone without other forms of interrupting or putting out damage.

The only time it is really macroable to throw pots as I see it, is when you are playing an alchy dexer, or when you are chasing people down. Mixing explosion pots into spell combos is a difficult thing to do, and takes a good bit of skill. That being said, of all the templates I play, it is easiest to kill people on the alchy stun simply because when everything comes together it's a done deal. Don't know why people thing it has the highest skill level, yeah it takes a lot of practice - but it still yields the easiest kills for me anyway.

I've thrown probably about a five thousand of these things by now, and I still blow them up on me often as I do it all manually. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, when there are a bunch of other things going on in a fight. Maybe changing the AOE rules outside of town, while keeping things in town the way they are would be a decent change. I am pretty sick of blues ganking me down with pots outside of delucia. But people will be asshats and run around with blues in their red/factioneer groups just to give counts. It's going to happen again for sure.

Here is another suggestion I will add along with LKP's ideas. I remember bolas being an issue back in the day and received the negative attention explode pots are getting currently. Bolas are now very hard to make and expensive resource-wise. Maybe make explosion pots harder to make (50/60% more fail rate) and keep their damage and timer the same. We may then see a decline in the majority of people using them. The main reason everyone carries a slue of potions on them is because there is such a vast amount of money floating around and resources are somewhat cheap.

Anyways:

-Raise the fail rate 50/60% in creating explosion potions and see a decline of the people using them.

**NOTE**

This change would only be implemented if the mount stamina was decreased some to disallow cross map running.

If I missed anything let me know.

girtrute

Wanderer

incubusfan1413;1745847 said:
The truth is do the people who say its fine the way it is know how to use a char without Alchy. What if hybrid was to take away alchy period would you cry that you are over powered and cant chase down any runner or noob and own his ass. Would you make the same threads we are now and suggest changes. Its not as if we want the pots gone just fixed to the way they should be. There is no way you should do something without a consequence and just chasing people around hurling pots up thier asses should be a little harder than it is.
Of course they would ,people wanting more power by using extra items is what created aos.
And no they dont know what its like to fight without pots.

I personally love purple potions, they are a great addition to a dump, are good for chasing down runners, and i get killed by them on some of my chars just as frequently as i kill people with them. Setting the timer to once every ten seconds is easily done, wont affect their cost to make, and they will still be used just as much. You just wont be killed as fast with them. I am all for changeing them as i do hate being gank potted. But they are almost needed in todays pvp you can duel another mage for hours provided you have the regs and heal,cure,refresh. But soemtimes you just need that extra 5 dmg to top soembody off. And dont say i need to 5x duel. I hate 5x there is nothing skillfull about posion harmharmharmposionharm...ect. And dont say it's the closest thing to old school, It's not old school, old school was being chased on foot from brit x-roads to the gate being explosioned, lighting, lighting.

Early Grace

Wanderer

The point of a purple potion is really to give mages non mana based damage output. If you are going to change it to a timer make it the more dex you have the longer the timer. + for mages, - for alchy dexers.

girtrute;1746301 said:
Of course they would ,people wanting more power by using extra items is what created aos.
And no they dont know what its like to fight without pots.

Like 'they' know how to fight now anyways. lol some of these people have been group fighting via vent so long they have no clue how manage a 1v1 fight whatsoever.

Raz-hybrid

Wanderer

LKP;1745353 said:
I'm all for getting rid of vent, but that's obviously impossible. Even if they had some punkbuster-like program monitoring all the processes you're running, people would just start getting their guildies on the phone. This is already a better idea, as there's no noticeable lag like there is with vent.

But as for "hally hit gayness?" The only issue there is that no shard out there has the timing right. Divinity's staff intentionally changed it to make it more fast-paced. Other shards have done the same, or simply gotten it wrong as they pieced it together from memory.

If it were working as it used to, there wouldn't be anything cheap about a hally combo.

It had a long swing timer, based on the last time you swung anything (including a fist). Therefore, all you had to do was run into the attacker while he was casting, forcing him to throw a punch, and resetting his swing timer. That would buy you enough time to heal up and/or start a counter-attack if you timed it well. That's a great counter because it's available to everyone regardless of template. You could also disrupt the spells, put up RA or MR, parry if you had it, run while he's frozen, precast your own heal, or hope your resist works or the hally misses. Those could all save you from the decidedly over-hyped hally combo.

Purple potions are a different issue because they can't be resisted, or parried. Armor does nothing, nor does resist. They always hit if timed reasonably well (with a huge margin of error). They don't freeze the user in place, so you can't outrun them. There's nothing you can do to disrupt them, either. In short, they're cheap. The same goes for wands.

I'll also comment on the "necessary evil" line someone dropped back around page 7. It was something like "purple potions are needed to stop people from running away." It's true that it's too easy to run away from a fight in UO, but it wasn't always that way. I say the best solution to this problem is the historically accurate one. It consists of two parts:

1) Restore mount stamina to its Pre-UOR function. I could exhaust a horse then by running across one town on dial-up. Now I can run the entire length of the continent at a broadband sprint and my horse never fatigues.

2) Restore mount combat functionality. That is, "You cannot get on a mount while it is fighting."

This accomplishes so many good things for PvP in one blow. First, you fix this problem of endlessly running away. After sprinting a few screens, the runner will have to stop and dismount to feed his pet to restore its stamina. While he's dismounted, you'll have an opportunity to engage the mount in combat, stopping him from remounting to flee.

Secondly, you bring some balance to bola tamers in the form of "risk vs. reward." If they want to try and dismount you and then sick their nightmare on you, they're going to have to deal with the fact that they can't easily pull their mare out of the fight at that point. Of course, you'll probably see a lot more of them anyway, if mares continue to have significantly more stamina than horses.

You'll also get more non-tamer players to join factions so they can get warhorses, also for the additional stamina.

More combat will end up on foot, which is great for several reasons. Off-screening is much more difficult. It's impossible to "fastwalk" a horse to abuse the client prediction... so this is good for dexers. The animations are better, so it's more fun to watch.

Of course, the purple potion issue would only be exacerbated, since running is the vital part of either "defense" that currently exists for GE pots (breaking LOS, and closing with the user). Therefore, this change should come paired with a significant nerf to purple potions.

And to nerf purple potions, there are a ton of options. I'm not saying to do all of these, but rather to choose one:

One.

- Increase the cooldown timer by a good 5 seconds. Purples shouldn't be any faster than yellows.

- Freeze the user in place (as a spell) while cooking off a purple potion.

- Institute a delay when the potion lands before it detonates, a la divinity, making them less effective against moving targets unless the user is good enough to throw in front of his mark.

- Reclassify the damage. Either make it physical so RA, parry, and armor work; or make it magical so resist (and maybe MR) does.

- Give them a chance to miss. Increase this chance if the user is running while he throws it.

In short, give them some kind of drawback like everything else has. And, return the AoE rules to the old ones. As they are now they're confusing, unbalancing, and illogical, all for the sake of letting a few morons haphazardly throw bombs around town in the presence of innocents. That's taking strategy out of the game, and dumbing it down. The current AoE rules suck.

Reposted, Signed.

This man knows what he's talking about.

wocka;1743410 said:
so why are people allowed to run a explosion pot macro.. this isnt uo. its getting rediculous, makes me not even wanna play because im too old school to even want to pvp like that. uogamers fucked itself by letting people throw explosion kegs.. this isnt pvp

agree

and also with stylinpat who agrees with that big post

StylingPaT^

Wanderer

Yeh. Its bullshit when I'm getting ganked by COM and their pots are flying across the screen at me when they ARNT even on the screen. This isnt effing counter strike.