UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Changes - August 7th 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

amish_ned

Sorceror
Re: Changes - August 7th 2010

cant cut leather with out it being in your pouch, is a terrible idea. Was the leather cutting too over powered?

RAKninja

Page

amish_ned;2106780 said:
cant cut leather with out it being in your pouch, is a terrible idea. Was the leather cutting too over powered?

there is too much leather floating around, i guees. now i'm forced to bring a beetle if i wanna collect some leather. cant say i like that.

cant say i like the com deed thing. players are supposed to be smart enough to, you know, check things before they buy it. changing it seems a step towards trammel, if you ask me. note: i have never scammed/ been scammed by com deeds (though a buddy of mine has)

like the cosmetic things.

say, can we change to pre-trammel tinker-made trapped boxes? i miss having red crafters.

Antor

Sorceror

RAKninja;2106785 said:
cant say i like the com deed thing. players are supposed to be smart enough to, you know, check things before they buy it. changing it seems a step towards trammel, if you ask me. note: i have never scammed/ been scammed by com deeds (though a buddy of mine has)

Comm deed scams did nothing but take advantage of new players. No one who has been playing for any length of time fell for it anyway. Taking advantage of new players just chases them off. I can not even count how many pages I have taken where some poor new player just blew every bit of gold they had managed to acquire in a month of playing to buy some regs to build a mage and lost it all to a comm deed scam. Then they page and are understandably upset that we can not help them. Then they just quit.

The description field was never intended to assist players with scamming other players. This is a good update and you will just have to get over it and find a new (honest) way to make money.

RAKninja

Page

Antor;2106794 said:
Comm deed scams did nothing but take advantage of new players. No one who has been playing for any length of time fell for it anyway. Taking advantage of new players just chases them off. I can not even count how many pages I have taken where some poor new player just blew every bit of gold they had managed to acquire in a month of playing to buy some regs to build a mage and lost it all to a comm deed scam. Then they page and are understandably upset that we can not help them. Then they just quit.

The description field was never intended to assist players with scamming other players. This is a good update and you will just have to get over it and find a new (honest) way to make money.

new players should learn about the game in general, and the shard in particular, before joining. the knowledgebase says:

a. Scams are allowed as long as they do not involve the use of a bug. It is up to the player to inform and protect themselves.

a google search for "hybrid uo scams" returns UO Gamers: Hybrid Knowledgebase :: How do I tell if a commodity deed on a vendor is real or a scam? as the first result.

in closing, i dont deal in commodities. deeded or otherwise. i've never scammed or been scammed. my vendor only has wands, weapons, and a couple of semi-rares at market value. my problem with the change isnt damage to my income, but "dumbing the game down" so that people no longer have to "RTFM"

Amerigo

Sorceror

Reign Flame;2106797 said:
Love the changes to interior deco tools :] Unlike some people I know keke.

what changes?!?! .......... omg so much easier!

Countessa

Knight

RAKninja;2106811 said:
new players should learn about the game in general, and the shard in particular, before joining. the knowledgebase says:

a google search for "hybrid uo scams" returns UO Gamers: Hybrid Knowledgebase :: How do I tell if a commodity deed on a vendor is real or a scam? as the first result.

in closing, i dont deal in commodities. deeded or otherwise. i've never scammed or been scammed. my vendor only has wands, weapons, and a couple of semi-rares at market value. my problem with the change isnt damage to my income, but "dumbing the game down" so that people no longer have to "RTFM"

This is not even close to realistic.

If a vet player can't see how this is a good thing for the server, you need to open your eyes.

zephy mczeph

Wanderer

Countessa;2106829 said:
If a vet player can't see how this is a good thing for the server, you need to open your eyes.

people that get scammed need to open their eyes

not once have i ever fallen for a scam in 10+ years of playing uo. the best way to prevent scams is to have a little common sense

WaRgAzM

Knight

Reign Flame;2106797 said:
Love the changes to interior deco tools :] Unlike some people I know keke.

Thats killllller... awesome change.

Now only if the smelting cursor stayed up we'd be in business!

Code Blue

Knight

RAKninja;2106811 said:

You are raging because they added (unfilled) to a commodity deed.

If anything they fixed an error in the commodity deed system that should of been fixed years ago..

The fact that the scam was noted in the Knowledge Base was based on good intentions for new players to the server.. NOT A FIX.

It sounds like you made an income off scamming people, or you have a vendor house that you let friends use to scam.

Thank you again staff!

Now i dont have to think twice about getting regs or other resources.

Countessa;2106829 said:
This is not even close to realistic.

RAKninja
Forum Novice

Not a vet, and I bet he had a LARGE percent of his income from false deeds.

Code Blue

Knight

zephy mczeph;2106842 said:

not once have i ever fallen for a scam in 10+ years of playing uo. the best way to prevent scams is to have a little common sense

It was a simple fix that should have been implemented years ago.

But none the less its a good fix!

Countessa

Knight

zephy mczeph;2106842 said:

This is true.
I admit I fell for the comm deed once long long ago. It was my own fault. I was well aware of the scam and how it worked but my attention was elsewhere.

However this isn't so much about scams as about the consequences to the server. Some scams make no difference. They become part of game play. Some have a direct effect on the server either because of the scam itself or because of the effect on the players and how they react to it.
Comm deed scam is not a good thing for the shard. It drives away players. If you have played for years like many, you know what to watch for. You learned along with all the vet players of UO. You learned how to be careful because everything evolved while you played.
How are new players to know to watch for something if they do not even know it exists. How do you inform yourself of something that has no existence to you, including the forums, etc. The forum userbase is a very small percentage of the players. We aren't the majority group here; we are only the most vocal.

Edit: I for one think this was a fantastic update overall, if anyone cant tell. lol
I can't wait for the next Fair now. :D

Amerigo

Sorceror

Countessa;2106861 said:
Some [scams] have a direct effect on the server either because of the scam itself or because of the effect on the players and how they react to it.
Comm deed scam is not a good thing for the shard. It drives away players. If you have played for years like many, you know what to watch for. You learned along with all the vet players of UO. You learned how to be careful because everything evolved while you played.

This +1. Very well thought through argument. I can't count how many times I saw people cussing a storm because of a false deed, and then end up quitting. Your false deed for 4k isn't worth that much to you, but to a new player, it represents a lot of work and time. Ettins only drop about 150gp.

Iddio

Page

I typed out a whole bunch of stuff i wanted to express but i erased it because no matter what anyone says it would be hard for ignorant children to comprehend.

Code Blue

Knight

Iddio;2106888 said:
I typed out a whole bunch of stuff i wanted to express but i erased it because no matter what anyone says it would be hard for ignorant children to comprehend.

Yeah, All that work for nothing.

Maybe you should turn it into a "highlights" magazine so they can understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.