UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Shard is down - Denial of Service

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb
Re: Shard is down - Denial of Service

Correct, despite the fact that is refering to spelling not grammar, nice try though, albeit a failure non the less.

Alright, i will admit, grammar is important in a few things:

bobby helped his uncle jack off the horse

Bobby helped his Uncle Jack, off the horse.

Most people can still put two and two together and use context clues to figure out what you mean. But that would require logic. Which you are assuming you reader does not have.

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

megamandos said:
Alright, i will admit, grammar is important in a few things:

bobby helped his uncle jack off the horse

Bobby helped his Uncle Jack, off the horse.

Most people can still put two and two together and use context clues to figure out what you mean. But that would require logic. Which you are assuming you reader does not have.

Some people spend their time with people of a similar, in my case far greater intelligence than themselves, therefore 98% of the things I read have little to no spelling or grammatical errors, therefore that’s what I'm used to reading.

You then get the occasional idiot who prefers the 'OMG ITS THE INTERWBS WHY SHOULD I BOVA TO USE MY LEET ENGERLISH SKILLS HERE HUHU?' The fact is the use of correct grammar and spelling is not something you can turn on and off. If you have it you have it, if you dont you might want to learn.

So in the future, please do not assume your reader has the logic to decipher your post, just write it in such a manner that makes what you’re saying obvious to the reader.

yeah quality this is the who :)

g3t on teh AIMxors and joo and use ur leet englissh skillz to tolk to meez.

(For Choru: It means that I am requesting of him the task of logging into AOL instant messenger to speak of you in an insulting manner.)

are we done arguing about how we are typing our posts?
im pretty sure my great grandfather came here so i wouldnt be oppressed when posting on forums :(

complaining about spelling errors on forums makes as much sense as bitchin about oil stains at a valvoline

jagpanzer

Wanderer

Sorry to be off-topic, but...

Seems to me like these DoS attacks are going to continue until a better solution then shutting the whole thing down occurs.

Is there some way you could make a secure IP list? If a DoS starts, only let in the secure IPS. Make it a subscription base - something like .25 cents per IP per month. That's less then a penny a day, but I doubt DoS attackers are going to pay all the $$$$ to get their bot machines let through. It would generate a bit of income for the server, as well.

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

RiseMakaveli said:
That speech has a few run-ons and mispunctuations.. So you might wana check it.....

My mistakes are not only few are far between they are also genuine mistakes, a result of a typing error or just a plain out error on my part, not however a result of my going out of my way to make a mistake, as so many people seem to do.

Im not perfect, I have never claimed to be.

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

jagpanzer said:

Seems to me like these DoS attacks are going to continue until a better solution then shutting the whole thing down occurs.

Is there some way you could make a secure IP list? If a DoS starts, only let in the secure IPS. Make it a subscription base - something like .25 cents per IP per month. That's less then a penny a day, but I doubt DoS attackers are going to pay all the $$$$ to get their bot machines let through. It would generate a bit of income for the server, as well.

Then it would not be a free server?

I know many people would not have a problem with this subscription fee, bu many, many more would.

Well I'm glad you're so close to perfection and leaving the other "2%" of us in the dust. I have to go now, but I'll be back on later to continue our debate. (ie for the "other 2%", continue to pwn that script kiddy.)

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

megamandos said:
Well I'm glad you're so close to perfection and leaving the other "2%" of us in the dust. I have to go now, but I'll be back on later to continue our debate. (ie for the "other 2%", continue to pwn that script kiddy.)

The 98% was reffering to the people who I converse with IRL, not the people I speak to on the boards.

Shamus-hybrid

Traveler

jagpanzer said:

off topic... haha

DoS attacks are nearly impossible to prevent. Think of a DoS attack this way. You're standing next to the brit moongate. Suddenly, about 1000 reds pop out and start casting EBolt and target you. And those reds are going to sit there and camp the gate for a while to make sure you don't come back anytime soon. That, my friend, is a DoS attack. There's not much you can do about it.

The added security you speak of would be more trouble than it's worth. And it wouldn't solve the problem for a few reasons:
1. You can fake an IP address
2. Anyone with a few bucks can get a handful of IP addresses and do thier DoS attack
3. People with dynamic IP addresses (ie. dialup users) would run up quite a bill

But good thinking. If you can solve the DoS problem, you'll be a billionaire. :p

Sara

Wanderer

I know that I am semi-new to the server and new to the forums, but how about instead of yelling at each other while the servers down... we vote for our server instead?

Just a thought though... if ya'll are cool with being #2 to some European shard - I guess I'm down too.

I'd post the link but this is my first post :-/

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

Untruthfull.

Unfunny.

Unoriginal.

Please do us all a favour and unplug your pc.