UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Shard is down - Denial of Service

jagpanzer

Wanderer
Re: Shard is down - Denial of Service

The added security you speak of would be more trouble than it's worth. And it wouldn't solve the problem for a few reasons:
1. You can fake an IP address
2. Anyone with a few bucks can get a handful of IP addresses and do thier DoS attack
3. People with dynamic IP addresses (ie. dialup users) would run up quite a bill

Good points.

The subscription could be tied to individual accounts, instead of IPs, but at the same time I can see other issues. I would imagine that people who don't want to pay would definitely complain that those people who could still play were getting an unfair advantage (less competition @ IDOC's, etc.).

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

jagpanzer said:
Good points.

The subscription could be tied to individual accounts, instead of IPs, but at the same time I can see other issues. I would imagine that people who don't want to pay would definitely complain that those people who could still play were getting an unfair advantage (less competition @ IDOC's, etc.).

Also no new player is going to pay 50C to try out a new shard.

Shamus-hybrid

Traveler

Blood On Me said:
I dont find it that fun!!!
haha when was the very first time you played uo? rebirth is pretty much exactly how uo was when i started playing. no trammel, only felucca. you can run from guards or stay and kill them. houses can be looted clean, no secure containers. small houses on top of towers. so many fun things!

Highlander-hybrid

Legendary Member

I've never palyed that time period, and I wish I had started back then. I just like it cause it's something new, but if that's how UO was back then, EA fucking sucks. They destroyed something wonderful.

I played at the time of Third Dawn, just when trammel started, and I liked it. Left after a month for free servers ( level system ones) just never new anything else till now.

BlCkDrGn

Sorceror

Soooo, they havent been able to stop the DOS or packet attacks whatever there using, ping attacks fuck i dunno either way is it really that hard to trace an IP address and firewall it?

Shamus-hybrid

Traveler

Highlander said:
I've never palyed that time period, and I wish I had started back then. I just like it cause it's something new, but if that's how UO was back then, EA fucking sucks. They destroyed something wonderful.

I played at the time of Third Dawn, just when trammel started, and I liked it. Left after a month for free servers ( level system ones) just never new anything else till now.
well, it's not really EA's fault. with as huge as uo was back in the day, it was next to impossible to keep the game balanced. people were always finding new ways to kick ass, then EA had to fix it. like when mages could wear full suits of gm plate... that was slightly unbalanced. even tho it was fun, had EA done nothing, it would have destroyed the game completely.

trammel was invented not to cater to banksitting griefers, but to help everyone who wasn't red stay alive. before trammel, it was literally impossible to get out of brit without a gate or a maricle. same for dungeons. gank squads would run thru every dungeon constantly and wait outside for the stragglers that thought it was safe.

however, i don't agree 100% with everything EA has done, but i do miss trammel. it's nice to have a place where you don't have to watch your back and you can just relax and play a game.

Shamus-hybrid

Traveler

BlCkDrGn said:
Soooo, they havent been able to stop the DOS or packet attacks whatever there using, ping attacks fuck i dunno either way is it really that hard to trace an IP address and firewall it?

Translation: Have they been able to stop the DoS packet attacks? Were they using ping attack? I dunno... Either way, is it really that hard to trace an IP address and block it?

It's not hard to trace an IP address. However, it is difficult to trace what the real ip address is. Whomever is doing this is most likely using lots of proxies and fake/masked IP addresses. It's not as simple as just telling it to block an IP address.

Highlander-hybrid

Legendary Member

I didn't mind it when I palyed at all, Third Dawn was awesome. I stayed in Trammel unless I was seeing a friend in Felluca.( I liked PVM much more at the time)

I still paly PvM mostly, but now that I know how to play the game, I like having PK'rs come around, gives more of a challenge, much more fun. Trammel also helped new players out more then anything. If I hadn't played UO before and came onto a shard with so trammel such as this, I wouldn't have stayed, I don't think I would have ever really gotten into it.

darthjesus said:
why dont you decide if your flaming me or how i type before u wake up at 7:30 am to post some bullshit.
you went from: to attacking my grammar, obviously you dont know what ur upset about. maybe you should take your ritalin, and go cuddle your mommy, until this world makes a little more sense to you.

im just flaming you. i get up at 730 because i have school and a job. sorry though because im not afflicted with ADD

Shamus-hybrid

Traveler

Highlander said:
If I hadn't played UO before and came onto a shard with so trammel such as this, I wouldn't have stayed, I don't think I would have ever really gotten into it.
agreed. i started playing before pking was really bad, so i was ok. and i never went to brit. ever. minoc was my town. i know that place better than where i live. lol

Adian

Wanderer

jagpanzer said:
Sorry to be off-topic, but...

Seems to me like these DoS attacks are going to continue until a better solution then shutting the whole thing down occurs.

Is there some way you could make a secure IP list? If a DoS starts, only let in the secure IPS. Make it a subscription base - something like .25 cents per IP per month. That's less then a penny a day, but I doubt DoS attackers are going to pay all the $$$$ to get their bot machines let through. It would generate a bit of income for the server, as well.

Wouldn't that be charging to play on the shard? I think this would rage OSI with a lawsuit, even if its 25 cents. I remember hearing something about 'you can do this as long as you don't CHARGE.' Therefore, I doubt that will be a good idea. :(

I didn't read the all the posts...but I'm pretty sure you can fairly easily stop a DOS attack, it's the DDoS attacks that are next to impossible to stop, because it's coming from many IP addresses, and most of them have no idea they are being used to flood a server. If it's just a DoS attack, I would suggest using Linux as the OS, because there are many many ways to prevent people from flooding a server from one IP address...but I'm guessing this was a DDoS.

jagpanzer

Wanderer

Also no new player is going to pay 50C to try out a new shard.

Wouldn't that be charging to play on the shard?

.... sigh.

Re-read my post. The money was to get on a RESERVED IP LIST. Not to just play on the server. It would be donation-based, not mandatory. Exactly the same as the "subscription" fees that already exist.

However, as have been pointed out by Shamus, there are other issues that make this problematic. I can mostly see people who don't want to pay a little bit complaining out their asses if other people are on the server when they arn't. And no offense, but I really doubt the staff cares to deal with even more things for the playerbase to whine about.