UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Red (PvP) Mage - Tank, Alchy/Stun or Scribe/Stun

Tank, Alchy/Stun or Scribe/Stun

• Tank,

Votes: 85 24.1%
  • Alchy/Stun

Votes: 181 51.4%
  • Scribe/Stun

Votes: 86 24.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stides40oz

Knight
Re: Red (PvP) Mage - Tank, Alchy/Stun or Scribe/Stun

Kaylun;1611054 said:
why do you guys run tactics on your mage?i know about with a wep skill.. but as in tact wres alchy kinda stuff?

just as tactics adds damage too melee weapons it also adds a bit of damage with ur fists. Say your punch normally does 1 hp damage. With tactics it would do 1.5 hp. Pretty useless in everything except 5x dueling.

I have a alchy/stun a scribe/stun and a tank/mage and I find the tank mage to be the most fun to play as well as the most versatile. You can can still use pots (tho they only do 10-20) you can bola, and deal great damage from your magery or weapon. I use a fencer tank my self, one para blow and most of the time its over. It's good 1v1 as most people may think your a dexxer and try and do a quick dump on you only to be quite annoyed when all their mana is gone and you are dropping exps on them still. And it's great in a group as you can x/heal, dump and still have great damage once your low on mana.

*EDIT I also suggest fencing b/c it has the fastest weapons and that's an important factor when your dex is gonna be pretty low relative to other weapon using builds.

roflcakes

Wanderer

Stides;1611384 said:
just as tactics adds damage too melee weapons it also adds a bit of damage with ur fists. Say your punch normally does 1 hp damage. With tactics it would do 1.5 hp. Pretty useless in everything except 5x dueling.

But in 5x it wouldn't make a diff because it would ignore the tact skill, right?

Sloth6061

Wanderer

Alchy/Stun hands down, or Alchy w/ a spear. That stun pretty much owns people when you have the combo up.

Stides40oz

Knight

roflcakes;1627339 said:
But in 5x it wouldn't make a diff because it would ignore the tact skill, right?

no 4 some reason the tactics bonus still applies in 5x

Kaplar

Sorceror

Just out of curiosity... I don't see many scribe/alchy's. How come people don't go for those?

a.bully

Wanderer

Stun overall is > inscription.

I have every pvp combination imaginable and alchy/stun is by far the best.

bodysn

Sorceror

Anton Chigurh;1621785 said:
I have a alchy/stun a scribe/stun and a tank/mage and I find the tank mage to be the most fun to play as well as the most versatile. You can can still use pots (tho they only do 10-20) you can bola, and deal great damage from your magery or weapon. I use a fencer tank my self, one para blow and most of the time its over. It's good 1v1 as most people may think your a dexxer and try and do a quick dump on you only to be quite annoyed when all their mana is gone and you are dropping exps on them still. And it's great in a group as you can x/heal, dump and still have great damage once your low on mana.

*EDIT I also suggest fencing b/c it has the fastest weapons and that's an important factor when your dex is gonna be pretty low relative to other weapon using builds.

Hey buddy .. I'v been interested in this Fencer Tank template for a long time..
Iv been playing alchy/stun forever and I wouldn't mind mixing up some bola' action..

What is the best Stat Template for this tank..?
90, 90, 45.. Something else maybey.. I DO use Str Agil.. so what do you think... ?

wwebb

Sorceror

bodysn;1723860 said:
Hey buddy .. I'v been interested in this Fencer Tank template for a long time..
Iv been playing alchy/stun forever and I wouldn't mind mixing up some bola' action..

What is the best Stat Template for this tank..?
90, 90, 45.. Something else maybey.. I DO use Str Agil.. so what do you think... ?

Always have 100 int. The benefits far outweigh the extra dex.

I have this template with 85 str 40 dex 100 int. You could go 80 or 90 str, up to you.

Stides40oz

Knight

wwebb;1723872 said:
Always have 100 int. The benefits far outweigh the extra dex.

I have this template with 85 str 40 dex 100 int. You could go 80 or 90 str, up to you.

Any build that uses a wep should have 100 str for the added damage. I would go 100 str 35 dex 90 int

shindig

Sorceror

stun is tight, but I find myself playing my scribe/nox/alchy mage the most. No wrestling or stunning, but he lives the longest when getting ganked thanks to the scribe, the nox is only good when using blade spirits as most people have ass loads of cure pots.

I mean you can have a small group of people start dumping on you, you reflect, cast chain lightning and start lobbing pots.

miztron

Wanderer

killrpooh;1442242 said:
So, remember this guys gonna be red, so he's gonna be drawing a little more heat than normal - scribe might be good. On the other hand, being red, explo pots flagging you, and giving you undesired murder counts, wont matter as much. With the tank, having person after person on you wont matter quite as much when you run out of mana. SO - all have good points - quite the conundrum. What sayeth ye?

Mage/Eval/Med/Resist

&

Anat/Tact/(Fence or Mace - your input)
or
Wrestling/Tact/Alchy
or
Wrestling/Tact/Scribe

why would these templates have tactics and not anatomy for stun?

shindig

Sorceror

Ya, what's with the tactics, you gonna be a bola wrestler?

Eval/mage/med/resist/wrestle/scribe/alchy No stun, but wrestling and scribe give you tight defense and you can still throw pot combos. having nox instead of wrestling is semi cool, but unless you're blade spiriting something most people you fight will have cure pots.

co co

Page

I changed one of my alchy stuns to Bola/Alchy/Hide Mage.

Alch
Magery
Resists
Tact
Hideing
Eval
Med

The hideing is for idocs and dungon pvp but could dbe exchanged for Scrib, Wrestling ect... I made it hide cause i was already 7x and was moveing skills around hard to add in scrib or wrestling and also cause its great for solo idoc and dungon pvp.

alchy stun nerfed tanks on the field. take it from me, David gilmore being my main char a hally tank/mage.. prolly havnt used him in about a year. its to slow on the field to wait for your wep to hit. and everyone who fields uses alchy. only time i use my tank is for stand 7x 1v1 no pots. and they dont have thos turnys anymore... duno why.

Mrdude

Wanderer

i have a scribe/stun, alchy/stun, hally tank (i tried fencing with him as well), and a mace tank and my favorite by far is the hally tank. I'm not a big purple pot kinda guy, though I do admit alchy/stun or alchy/scribe mages are incredibly deadly 1v1; but in terms of fun-factor and versatility I like my red hally mage the most. work their shield down, load up a spell and wait for the smack :p the drawbacks are 1v1 fights against alchy/stun or alchy/scribe, as well as certain dexxers (fencers mostly) that get the jump on you. any dexxer with a load of AR can be troublesome, you'll want to stick to purely casting.
also may be a bit difficult loading up on good hallies, as tactics is extremely important considering you swing so incredibly slow, which means you'll have to bring along the blue pots ;P because you generally equip weapon whenever you're not casting (mostly healing) most people forget to meditate, so it requires a bit of forward thinking if you don't kill them within the first 10-15 seconds. I have killed mages wearing no armor with a blow and a single spell, so you'll see people running a lot, particularly on the field. stopping to cast is out of the question, your offensive spell should be loaded and hally equipped unless meditating.

the benefits are numerous. you'll generally use less mana than other mages when it comes to dishing out damage. in your pack you should have a DP kat or viking sword to switch things up a bit. Concussion blows up the ying yang, coupled with feeblemind or mana drain and they're rendered useless. You won't see many people going in for the stun with less than 60% life so you'll pretty much always be on the run chasing them unless they're ganking and got the jump on you. All in all the two other builds that I enjoy almost as much are archer/alchy and my macing tank mage, which is generally better against pure dexxers.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

Two years later, this thread is up again lol. Well I have to say, I've learned a couple of new tricks since then, and I continued to get my swords tank far beyond the point of no return as murder counts go.

First off, most people don't carry as many cure pots as you might think. It's easy enough to run them out by keeping them poisoned with the spell... then when it's obvious they don't have any cure pots left, hit them with that DP katana and disrupt their cure attempts for a few seconds, and you'll have the kill.

Secondly, I've started using Razor to acquire my targets, then attack last target. By doing this, I can run around with a spell precast and my hally drawn, and use Razor to initiate combat without casting the spell. Thus I can begin with a big hally hit, and totally surprise the target with the precast spell afterward. Even if I don't get a good hit, sometimes the target will treat me as though fighting a dexer, leaving himself totally unprotected against the mana dump to follow. For PKing near town lines, I can often take off a good chunk of health with the hally, then release a precast paralyze, leaving them frozen outside the guard zone with little enough health that I can finish them in a single combo before they have a chance to move again.

I've taken to carrying 3 weapons:

The halberd is obviously the weapon this character is known for. The concussion blows are nice and the damage can be huge, especially in situations involving a lot of movement, where you rarely get a chance to swing. In those cases, it's best to go with the most powerful weapon - the swing speed is irrelevant since you never get to swing at optimal speed do to the target being out of range most of the time.

The katana is the polar opposite - not particularly damaging, but so fast it can disrupt fourth circle spells. Still, while this weapon was every bit as important as the hally in the old days, nowadays it's rare to fight an unarmored target. Against the most heavily armored targets, the katana's damage is negligible. Therefore, I've started DPing it, and using it sparingly.

The broadsword has become the happy medium which I use for general combat - from taking out a random monster that's bothering me while I loot, to hounding my opponent while we both try to regain some mana in duels. I probably spend more time armed with a broadsword than the hally and kat combined now that I've discovered how good they are here, particularly since I found a nice vanq one a couple of weeks ago and haven't died to lose it since.

I've also found that concussion blows stack with feeblemind, allowing you to take someone with 100 int as low as 39! They'll very quickly exhaust their mana just trying to keep themselves healed, and then you can off them at your leisure.

In mage duels, there's usually a flow to the combat, almost a right-of-way. Player A dumps while player B heals... A realized he doesn't have enough mana to finish the job and disengages, saving some mana to heal himself while B counters with a mana dump of his own. If neither player successfully kills the other in that first dump, they're both left with almost no mana. Most mages try to back off and meditate at this point. However, the tank can switch over to pure melee and keep his opponent busy. The tank will passively regain mana while his opponent must spend what little mana he gets back just healing the melee damage. This eventually gives the tank the right of way infinitely. His opponent should never get another chance to dump unless he's also a tank or a healer, or if the fight takes place in the field and he just continually runs to avoid the melee damage.

As stats go, 100 int is a necessity for any mage. Intelligence is actually more important than Meditation for mana regeneration. That is, 100 int and 90 meditation will give you faster mana regen than 90 int and GM meditation.

The strength bonus to weapon damage is only up to 10%, with 2% given for every 20 points of strength. That's 8% at 80, 8% at 99, 10% at 100.

HP = Str/2+50. Therefore, 80 Str will give you 90 HP; 90 Str will give you 95 HP. This formula rounds down - 95 Str will give you the same HP as 94.

I've chosen to go with 80 Strength, 90 HP. When I die, I tend to die hard. I either get ganked or hit incredibly hard while stunned. In either case, 5 HP wouldn't have made a difference. Besides, thanks to strength potions, in the field you should never find yourself below 88 HP (+20 from a potion, -11 from weaken, -11 from a second weaken). Once you're below your base, you can't be weakened again. If you're getting synched on, you should have a healer. With a healer, 88 HP should be plenty to keep yourself alive... or your healer should be keeping your strength up, as well. If you don't have a healer and you're getting synched on, then congratulations - you're being ganked, by people who at least know how to synch - and you're problably not going to survive. At least, 5 HP won't be the deciding factor.

The remaining 45 points go into Dex. That amount of dex will put you on par with any other tank out there, if not a little faster. With agility potions, you can get up to 65 - enough to kill with melee alone, given the right weapon.

These stats are also balanced enough that you won't be susceptible to mindblast.

Hope that helps anyone still having this debate. I may add more later - I've kind of lost my train of thought.

Ticizzle

Wanderer

Orpheus87;1565641 said:
i was gunna try this template, does it work well for soloing. Do you have enough offensive power? Ive never been any type of mage on this shard apart from tank mages..... Bring back insta hit!

stun/heal was owning people long before exp pots broke onto the scene. The only reason people can't kill with them is cause they are so used to the easy way of exp pots. i play a solo heal/stun, it works out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.