UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How many of you are religious!

Pick one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clover

Sorceror
Re: How many of you are religious!

DementedJester;1418750 said:
Fear of God and fear of Hell causes alot of religious people to be more moral... It's not "because it's right" it's becuase "God'll kick my ass if i don't." Of course, it works both ways... "I'm going to do nice things so i get into heaven," not "I'm going to do nice things for the sake of doing nice things."
It's comparable to the rich who donate to the poor because they'll look bad if they don't.

You know, I don't stay moral because I "fear getting into heaven". I don't even know if there is a heaven. Sometimes I wonder... ya know? I do things because I learned the difference between "right and wrong". Now who is to say what is right and wrong? My opinion is, if it affects someone else in a negative way then it is most likely wrong. Also, to go out and have sex with different men every night is also wrong. I believe something like that takes away from one's soul.

That's just me. What you believe may be different, and from what I gather, it is.

Nicolai

Sorceror

AlphaN3rd;1418748 said:
Tbh, I think that letting a fairy tale tell you how to live your life does make you a fool.

When is the last time you met someone who actually follows everything in the bible. Christians just pick and choose the things they like and the things they dont. The bible doesnt tell them how to live their lives they just use the bible to justify the way they live their lives.

Megumi

Wanderer

AlphaN3rd;1418744 said:
You believe in a fairy tale that has absolutely no evidence supporting it, and I'm the ignorant one? lol

Your hope has no affect on the truth. Anyone who uses this as a reason to believe in religion is practically admitting to being an illogical fool.

You're ignorant because you're attempting to persecute someone for beliving in something you don't.

AlphaN3rd;1418748 said:
Tbh, I think that letting a fairy tale tell you how to live your life does make you a fool.

You realise the basic teachings of the bible and the way it recomends living apply to people of all faiths, teachings and common human decency?

"Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace."

Clover

Sorceror

AlphaN3rd;1418744 said:
You believe in a fairy tale that has absolutely no evidence supporting it, and I'm the ignorant one? lol

Your hope has no affect on the truth. Anyone who uses this as a reason to believe in religion is practically admitting to being an illogical fool.

Evidence? Seriously... there are three things Jesus could have been: A liar, a madman, or telling the truth. I find it unlikely that MULTIPLE and THREE MAIN religions (Christianity, Jewish, and Islamic) have found the same one, higher being... and not all believe in Jesus, Muhammad, and etc... some don't even believe in the saints, like Catholic do.

Also, so many people have died for this religion and their beliefs (more so in the past around the time the prophets came than now). No evidence? There is the bible and the writings from it. The Acts of the Apostles, Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John. Then there are actual philosophers that write about meeting Jesus or meeting some of the apostles. I have a book that a philosopher wrote on it.

No evidence? No, some people just refuse to see what is in front of them.

Clover

Sorceror

Nicolai;1418756 said:
When is the last time you met someone who actually follows everything in the bible. Christians just pick and choose the things they like and the things they dont. The bible doesnt tell them how to live their lives they just use the bible to justify the way they live their lives.

Well, not really. Every religion follows the bible to some extent. Some believe in things that others don't. Catholics don't view the bible as a history book, they view it is a book on the way people should live their lives. There is no "picking and choosing". People who are of a religion, but don't practice do this. But they aren't religious...

AlphaN3rd

Wanderer

DementedJester;1418761 said:
You're ignorant because you're attempting to persecute someone for beliving in something you don't.

You realise the basic teachings of the bible and the way it recomends living apply to people of all faiths, teachings and common human decency?

"Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace."

It might make me an asshole, but not an ignoramus.

Are there perhaps a few teachings of the bible that are positive? I'm sure there are. That doesn't make religion right, nor does it necessarily mean that religion is an overall positive influence.

kio123

Knight

Clover;1418765 said:
Evidence? Seriously... there are three things Jesus could have been: A liar, a madman, or telling the truth. I find it unlikely that MULTIPLE and THREE MAIN religions (Christianity, Jewish, and Islamic) have found the same one, higher being... and not all believe in Jesus, Muhammad, and etc... some don't even believe in the saints, like Catholic do.

Also, so many people have died for this religion and their beliefs (more so in the past around the time the prophets came than now). No evidence? There is the bible and the writings from it. The Acts of the Apostles, Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John. Then there are actual philosophers that write about meeting Jesus or meeting some of the apostles. I have a book that a philosopher wrote on it.

No evidence? No, some people just refuse to see what is in front of them.

duh these words wouldve convinced the guy in 1998 but its jsut beating water in a cup now

Megumi

Wanderer

AlphaN3rd;1418769 said:

Are there perhaps a few teachings of the bible that are positive? I'm sure there are. That doesn't make religion right, nor does it necessarily mean that religion is an overall positive influence.

Okay, look at it from a different angle... You tell people "you're wrong" for having faith... have you ever considered that they might be right?

Open your mind.

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

AlphaN3rd;1418744 said:

so i take it that your an athiest. so am i. but TBH there is an assload of evidence that supports the stories in the bible. alot of the stuff said is historical truth. other stuff is pure fantasy or Misinterpretation on our part.

well anyway i try not to FORCE my views onto other people. so if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread please go to other one.

AlphaN3rd

Wanderer

If you count any written text written thousands of years ago as credible evidence, I'm sure you're going to believe in lots of really foolish stuff.

Like Christianity.

Clover

Sorceror

AlphaN3rd;1418769 said:

The bible has nothing to do with one set religion. The bible is for all people. It is a guide to base your life off of, if you choose to believe it. Some don't believe it and some do. I don't believe that the Adam and Eve story was really, and I was taught in school and it may have been a story just for us to show how God will punish those that don't obey is laws, in the end, the Ten Commandments.

Do religious people believe in evolution? I do. I'm not stupid. I think we came from apes... there's too much evidence showing this. My whole family believes in this, my grandfather they most.

Like I said... just because I don't believe the book is 100% correct or 100% a history book, doesn't mean it's not a good guide to live my life by in order to be happy and feel fulfilled.

Nicolai

Sorceror

Clover;1418767 said:
Well, not really. Every religion follows the bible to some extent. Some believe in things that others don't. Catholics don't view the bible as a history book, they view it is a book on the way people should live their lives. There is no "picking and choosing". People who are of a religion, but don't practice do this. But they aren't religious...
So then you follow everything in the bible whether you like it or not?

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

DementedJester;1418750 said:
To follow the same trend of generalisation:

It's because they're not God-fearing.

Fear of God and fear of Hell causes alot of religious people to be more moral... It's not "because it's right" it's becuase "God'll kick my ass if i don't." Of course, it works both ways... "I'm going to do nice things so i get into heaven," not "I'm going to do nice things for the sake of doing nice things."
It's comparable to the rich who donate to the poor because they'll look bad if they don't.

Well said... well fuckin said.

kio123

Knight

AlphaN3rd;1418775 said:
If you count any written text written thousands of years ago as credible evidence, I'm sure you're going to believe in lots of really foolish stuff.

Like Christianity.

we have a star!

AlphaN3rd

Wanderer

DementedJester;1418773 said:
Okay, look at it from a different angle... You tell people "you're wrong" for having faith... have you ever considered that they might be right?

Open your mind.

Sure there's an infinitesimally small chance that they're right. But:

a) the chance is infinitesimally small

b) believing something is true, without having any evidence supporting that belief still makes you a fool regardless of whether it's actually true or not

Clover

Sorceror

AlphaN3rd;1418775 said:

Like Christianity.

That's so ridiculous to say. Seriously, the Great Flood? Noahs Ark? The Epic of Gilgamesh... when the flood occured? Those are THREE stories on a great flood that occured. They were different "faiths" or "religions"... Christianity didn't even exist then. To say that all three things that wrote that are all bogus would be wrong. Sure they didn't have the things we have now, but they did have ways of writing things down and keeping notes, believe it or not.

Clover

Sorceror

Nicolai;1418779 said:
So then you follow everything in the bible whether you like it or not?

I do believe it. There is no "not". I mean, people can choose to believe what they want. There may be some things that I doubt, but I have no found something that was a better answer... and "nothing" or "not believing" definately isn't a good answer [for me].

kio123

Knight

if we could make a survey about this we would find out that 99% of the atheists are characteristic cowards

its all in the psychology

Status
Not open for further replies.