UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How many of you are religious!

Pick one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clover

Sorceror
Re: How many of you are religious!

OffMyJohnson;1418716 said:
i'm the same way i need some hard evidence that "God" exists.

Yeah, but I'd rather believe in something and die to learn there is nothing, than believe in nothing and die to learn there was something.

Clover;1418717 said:
Yeah, but I'd rather believe in something and die to learn there is nothing, than believe in nothing and die to learn there was something.

i was waiting for someone to use this line

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

Moosebish;1418565 said:
I am a Christian, I follow Christianity, not for a get out of hell free card but because I honestly think that living like Jesus is the best way to live your life.

so do i but the difference between me and a christian is that, i do good for the sake of good. get what i'm try to say i, do it cause it make me feel good. i don't do it because i fear hell or want to get into heaven.

Nicolai

Sorceror

Clover;1418717 said:

Well don't forget that its possible that you can believe in something and die to learn there is something else than what you believed or you could believe in nothing and die to learn there is something but it doesnt care what you believed while you were alive or even favors that you didnt believe in anything.

Clover

Sorceror

JesseJane;1418719 said:
i was waiting for someone to use this line

It's so true if you think about it... plus, having hope in an afterlife gives people more to live for than just "I have to get everything I want done NOW." There was a study done (I think on the tele) and it was shown that those who follow a religion live, on average, about 5-10 years longer than those that don't.

I actually have a friend who believes in the Devil, but doesn't believe in God. I told her that made absolutely no sense whatsoever and she replied, "It's okay, I'm going to hell anyway." So, eh... what can one do?

Megumi

Wanderer

I was raised a free-thinker.

I pretty much stand in the same place as Elton.

There might be a God, but there might not. Don't really care either way.. I put my faith in myself and those around me.

Clover

Sorceror

AlphaN3rd;1418727 said:
Wow, 25% of the poll responders or gullible fools. Interesting.

That has got to be the most ignorant statement I've read or heard in a long time. Just because someone doesn't believe what you believe and think how you think doesn't make them a fool, it just makes them different from you. Some people have hope for an afterlife and some don't.

On a side note: To answer this poll, I believe in a higher being, but I don't necessarily believe with everything about my religion. I question and doubt some things, but, for the most part, I do follow some sort of religion. It helps me maintain my faith.

I also question my faith because I'd like to believe heaven/hell are states of mind.

Megumi

Wanderer

AlphaN3rd;1418727 said:

Try to keep an open mind, man... Or one day you'll look in the mirror and realise you've become a hypocrite.

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

JesseJane;1418667 said:
u ever notice u can always find "non believers" praying or getting saved while on their death beds? or when in near death experiences?

i think that more a physcological reaction to a high tress situations. i mean i find my saying "thank god that car didn't hit me". or "bless you" but i think thats out of habbit more than anything.

Megumi

Wanderer

It's because you see it in movies and on televission... it's a form of conditioning :p

Nicolai

Sorceror

AlphaN3rd;1418727 said:

Believing in god may be foolish but it doesnt automatically make one a fool. Remember, everyone believes in and/or does things that are foolish whether they are religious or not.

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

Clover;1418710 said:
I'm Catholic. Used to follow a lot, but not really by choice. I went to a Catholic grade school and high school, plus went to church on the weekends with the family. I still go when I stay at my parents house, otherwise I don't...

I don't really mind what other's believe though, as long as they don't tell me that I'm right or wrong in my beliefs and faith.

how does that make you feel. it seems that you are putting on a show for your parents. is it to avoid an argument? disipointment?

Clover

Sorceror

OffMyJohnson;1418736 said:
i think that more a physcological reaction to a high tress situations. i mean i find my saying "thank god that car didn't hit me". or "bless you" but i think thats out of habbit more than anything.

That's not the same as praying on your deathbed. I say "Thank God" and "Bless You"... but you don't have to believe in God to say those things. Those are sayings, not beliefs. Maybe at one time they were beliefs and said for that reason, but they aren't now.

A lot of people "find God" because praying to him gives them hope and they hang on for their life. I know it sounds weird, but I think that's basically the jist of it. I've actually known a few people, including my cousin, who were raised believing in nothing, but "found God" in the recent years. They've changed completely too.

I also notice the trend that people who follow religion have a few more morals than those that don't. Not all people that are non-religious are also immoral, but it does seem to be a trend.

Megumi

Wanderer

OffMyJohnson;1418741 said:
how does that make you feel. it seems that you are putting on a show for your parents. is it to avoid an argument? disipointment?

I used to go to my church when staying at my gandmother's.

"When in Rome."

AlphaN3rd

Wanderer

Clover;1418734 said:
That has got to be the most ignorant statement I've read or heard in a long time. Just because someone doesn't believe what you believe and think how you think doesn't make them a fool, it just makes them different from you. Some people have hope for an afterlife and some don't.

You believe in a fairy tale that has absolutely no evidence supporting it, and I'm the ignorant one? lol

Your hope has no affect on the truth. Anyone who uses this as a reason to believe in religion is practically admitting to being an illogical fool.

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

Clover;1418717 said:

so are you telling me if you a nun. you spend your intire life down on your knees pray to god. to find out when you die you end up in a hole in the ground. i mean i'm not trying to pick a fight i just want to understand religious peoples point of view.

AlphaN3rd

Wanderer

Nicolai;1418740 said:
Believing in god may be foolish but it doesnt automatically make one a fool. Remember, everyone believes in and/or does things that are foolish whether they are religious or not.

Tbh, I think that letting a fairy tale tell you how to live your life does make you a fool.

Megumi

Wanderer

Clover;1418742 said:
That's not the same as praying on your deathbed. I say "Thank God" and "Bless You"... but you don't have to believe in God to say those things. Those are sayings, not beliefs. Maybe at one time they were beliefs and said for that reason, but they aren't now.

A lot of people "find God" because praying to him gives them hope and they hang on for their life. I know it sounds weird, but I think that's basically the jist of it. I've actually known a few people, including my cousin, who were raised believing in nothing, but "found God" in the recent years. They've changed completely too.

I also notice the trend that people who follow religion have a few more morals than those that don't. Not all people that are non-religious are also immoral, but it does seem to be a trend.

To follow the same trend of generalisation:

It's because they're not God-fearing.

Fear of God and fear of Hell causes alot of religious people to be more moral... It's not "because it's right" it's becuase "God'll kick my ass if i don't." Of course, it works both ways... "I'm going to do nice things so i get into heaven," not "I'm going to do nice things for the sake of doing nice things."
It's comparable to the rich who donate to the poor because they'll look bad if they don't.

Clover

Sorceror

OffMyJohnson;1418741 said:

Naw, I actually quit going to church for 2 years straight and my parents didn't like it, but I was 17-19 then. I just recently started going back, because I wanted to. I felt bad at first (about not going), but then I didn't pay them any mind.

When I went back, though, I was welcomed by the parish members. Honestly, it's weird because I always believed that none of them truly cared about me and didn't give a rats ass if I left, but it turns out that our church is like a big family... they're really helpful in everything and being surrounded by people like that is kind of a good feeling.

I get really disappointed in people who bash those that follow a religion. For most my life I didn't follow my religion by choice, because I wanted to be my own person, but now I realize that I do want to follow and it is my choice. It other's choose not to believe what I believe I don't call them names. It's not my ordeal and it's not my life. I don't try to live other people's lives. I think that's rather hypocritical.

Status
Not open for further replies.