UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How many of you are religious!

Pick one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer
Re: How many of you are religious!

Underwater Ape said:
you guys can debate this shit all you want, it doesn't matter whose right or wrong. it's all bullshit. you're lost in language.
Not lost, just occupied. This is an exposition of other ideas, like talking with someone on the street, and is a very entertaining way to occupy time at work, hehe. But yeah, ultimately everything is personal and the pursuit of truth is a solo journey.

Cebrious Arcane;1469917 said:
Not lost, just occupied. This is an exposition of other ideas, like talking with someone on the street, and is a very entertaining way to occupy time at work, hehe. But yeah, ultimately everything is personal and the pursuit of truth is a solo journey.

no doubt.

fonis

Knight

I would consider rules to be more basic than instinct, since an "instinct" is usually a conglomeration of rules. For example, take the instinct to run or fight when approached by a predator/aggressor; you detect the predator using your senses (which is taking each sensory input both individually and as combos) and then running these sense against a quick emotional background test (as memories are stored both by semantics (harder and slower to recall, decay much faster) and emotion (much longer lasting, very quick to recall) in the hippocampus and somtehstsrorother) as well as a battery of basic checks: is it approaching fast, what is its posture, is its smell friendly or unknown or of an enemy, what noise is it making, where are its eyes looking, etc..
Then these basic rule checks are then compiled and an instinct is performed. If it checks out to be a predator/aggressor, the animal runs a check comparing itself to the animal. Is it strong? Does it look crazed? Is there a chance for a pack to arrive? Are there children to care for? etc.

Then the instinct is performed, fight or flee.

Humans experience this too, which is why advertising is so very effective now. Instead of actually trying to convince you with reason and intelligence, they appeal to your emotional response with various things like physical attraction, beaches, sunlight, pretty faces, and so on. You may not want or need or like the item, but your initial response will be to feel good toward the advertisement, leaving a positive memory in your hippocampus toward that item thanks to your new emotional attachment.

Raping our minds through our rules of instinct.

And then we have conscious thought, which is more complex and much slower and at a loss versus emotion/reaction/etc.

Also, I have not seen Waking Life, though I have seen that one flick with Robin Williams called "What Dreams May Come." That was a very sad but interesting movie, really touched base on how your afterlife is how you yourself define it for yourself. Still, it was about an interactive one, but hey, no one's perfect :)

I've been wanting to see Waking Life, I just never get around to it :/ Is it similar, do you know?

Also, Ape, this isn't so much a debate anymore as it is a back-and-forth explanation of beliefs. I think it's a little more interesting that way :)

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

fonis said:
Then the instinct is performed, fight or flee.
So rules are conclusions based on immediate observation and instincts are the engrained reactions based on those conclusions? That makes sense. Oddly enough, I talked about fight or flight with some friends this weekend and we came up with a third reaction that goes against the survival instinct. Freeze. Fight, flee, or freeze. "Deer in the headlights" syndrome. Where the hell does that come into play? You can explain away the actual deer in the headlights as being shock from the bright lights at night but people freeze too. Is it just panic? A deathwish? So that begs the question, is survival an instinct or merely a preoccupation?

fonis said:
Humans experience this too, which is why advertising is so very effective now. Instead of actually trying to convince you with reason and intelligence, they appeal to your emotional response with various things like physical attraction, beaches, sunlight, pretty faces, and so on. You may not want or need or like the item, but your initial response will be to feel good toward the advertisement, leaving a positive memory in your hippocampus toward that item thanks to your new emotional attachment.
But can't it be said that the "to feel good" effect also affects some people negatively so they automatically feel the opposite? In that sense, wouldn't those rules be less like rules and more like commonalities? Where for many people the rules are the same but not for everyone. Continuing, would it then be that our instincts are controlled by the rules or by some subconscious judgement which is so consistent that it resembles a rule but as it is only a judgement it can be modified controlled? Just as an example, like you used, "is it approaching fast" is dependent on the speed of the observer. So a hummingbird's "fast" would be much faster than a sloth's. Rules seem too strict for our dynamic existence and there are almost always exceptions.

fonis said:
Raping our minds through our rules of instinct.
I'd say, "Attempted raping". A Mexican beach would probably look like hell to an Eskimo. But I get your point. When studying psych, I was tempted to go into advertising for that exact reason. Sheep are easy to control. But then my goals turned personal and I abandoned psychology because of its broad, vague attempts and very limited scope.

fonis said:
And then we have conscious thought, which is more complex and much slower and at a loss versus emotion/reaction/etc.
As in, internal monologue? What about the thoughts dependent on memory? Like a surgeon performing brain surgery, if an artery is knicked or something unexpected happens, he doesn't think "Well, when I was in med school, during Biology, in chapter 24, we learned that you need to cauterize the artery." He knows what needs to be done and does it, without thought. Or a racecar driver that gets a surprise flat tire and manages to avoid a horrible crash because of split second reactions based on previous knowledge. Would you say that those procedures move from memory and conscious thought into instinct having been deeply imbedded in the person's psyche, where you use it or lose it? Or is it like riding a bike?

fonis said:
Also, I have not seen Waking Life, though I have seen that one flick with Robin Williams called "What Dreams May Come." That was a very sad but interesting movie, really touched base on how your afterlife is how you yourself define it for yourself. Still, it was about an interactive one, but hey, no one's perfect :)
What Dreams May Come is a cool movie. I dig that perspective of an afterlife, and at least you know it would be eventful, hehe. Waking Life is, well, Waking Life. It's hard to compare it with other films. You can compare the style with A Scanner Darkly because it uses the same animation over film technique, but the message and style is pretty unique.

I've been interupted by work (the bastards!) like 20,000 times, so I apologize if I left unfinished sentences or something.

Fain

Sorceror

I'm going to make this short and sweet due to my laziness;

(I think) organized religion is the one of the most ridiculous things ever conceived.

Smartyr

Sorceror

Fain;1473389 said:
I'm going to make this short and sweet due to my laziness;

(I think) organized religion is the one of the most ridiculous things ever conceived.

If you consider the facts, it's fairly obvious why organized religions were, and remain, so successful. It's no wonder that all major religions have the same ground rules, dues, and sins. The commandments, of sorts, the suggested contributions (%annually), and my personal favorite: this is the only true religion, and you're not allowed to question it. These ground rules provide for a few things, prolonged semi-positive human coexistence, and a guaranteed paycheck for the leaders of those religions. In the end, it boils down to money, and control. And what good would it be controlling people if the civilization perished within a matter of decades? Hence the "don't kill each other or God will eat you", "don't steal from each other or God will eat you" so on and so forth.

I could go on, but I'm sure this is quite enough to fuel this "mass debate" session.

Aveks

Wanderer

Personally, I don't think it matters if there is a god or not. At the same time I think theists and atheists are equally idiotic.

Anyone ever seen the South Park where all the Atheists are fighting over the answer to the great question? Exactly.

The human race will always divide itself into factions, and slit each others throats, so blaming it on any one idea is just being baised without justification.

A war, a prejudice, and a lie can be forged over any idea.

The sky is blue? Fuck you. I say it's its green, and you're a fool for even consider suck a magnificent thing as the sky could ever be blue.

See what I mean?

fonis

Knight

South Park has a habit of making fun of things it doesn't understand simply because they're topical. Then again, it's just a cartoon so who cares.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

Aveks said:
The sky is blue? Fuck you. I say it's its green, and you're a fool for even consider suck a magnificent thing as the sky could ever be blue.
The sky is gray. Who do you trust? Observation is perception and perception is fallible.

Megumi

Wanderer

Smartyr;1473893 said:
If you consider the facts, it's fairly obvious why organized religions were, and remain, so successful. It's no wonder that all major religions have the same ground rules, dues, and sins. The commandments, of sorts, the suggested contributions (%annually), and my personal favorite: this is the only true religion, and you're not allowed to question it. These ground rules provide for a few things, prolonged semi-positive human coexistence, and a guaranteed paycheck for the leaders of those religions. In the end, it boils down to money, and control. And what good would it be controlling people if the civilization perished within a matter of decades? Hence the "don't kill each other or God will eat you", "don't steal from each other or God will eat you" so on and so forth.

I could go on, but I'm sure this is quite enough to fuel this "mass debate" session.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by God.

The older(minded) crowd will undersatand that. If you don't understand it now, you will when you're nerdier.

Megumi

Wanderer

Aveks;1473932 said:

The sky blue due to stuff in the atmosphere and the prismatic effect caused by light passing through said dust.

When light hits something like dust or molocules (and a prism effect occurs) the blue gets scattered more than the red. So when the light from the sun is passing over head and hits the stuff in the atmosphere blue light comes down to our eyes. So the sky appears to be blue.

Science prevails.

[edit]I wrote this under the assumption than anyone reading it will have played with a prism at some point... Thus being able to understand that light can be split into different colours.[/edit]

Smartyr

Sorceror

Aveks;1473932 said:
The human race will always divide itself into factions, and slit each others throats, so blaming it on any one idea is just being baised without justification.

A war, a prejudice, and a lie can be forged over any idea.

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey
Over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs,
They'll forge a blade,
And where there's one
they're bound to divide it,
Right in two

a noob

Sorceror

Underwater Ape;1469287 said:
you guys can debate this shit all you want, it doesn't matter whose right or wrong. it's all bullshit. you're lost in language. you won't find God reading about religions, drugs, science, philosphy. don't get me wrong, they can set you on the right path, but it takes a true real commitment of yourself to find the answers to what you're looking for. if you want it, it will find you. make it your life purpose. clear your mind. start fresh. believe there are no constrants and you will slowly begin to realize the only walls are the ones you've built. figure out what's right and wrong yourself. learn whats true and whats bullshit. but learn through EXPERIENCE. start meditating, read the Bible, drop acid, workout, visit Shamans, buy a telescope, volunteer at a homeless shelter, give away all your shit to Good Will, start practicing karma sutra with your partner. turn off everything you've been told. believe you can fly. believe there are no limits. you'll soon see it's true.

i say this because i've seen all laws broken. all it takes is a little faith. :)

you seem like a real interesting person, you obviously believe that there is no universal truth correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.