UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Giving away my Island Home

Lars Weilander

Wanderer
UO, Ultima Online:
This game has taken up more or my life than any other activity thus far. So much so that I have quit multiple times to rid myself of the addiction and complete things like college, culinary school, and the latter. However, every time that I quit, I return. And I return with a mission: to 'beat' the game, do everything perfectly, have the greatest character names, obtain a keep, or just get my fix for a couple of good months. Regardless of the mission, I always return and have the greatest time doing so.
This game is unbeatable. An economy that is self-sustained, a pvp system that is so unique that it actually can give you an adrenaline rush, a world that you can explore almost endlessly (I say almost because after 10+ years I know where most things are) and much much much more. Mining, treasure hunting, funny conversations, Orcs, sailing as a pirate, decorating and recently designing a house are all awesome parts of the game. If you do not feel like going to a dungeon or PvPing in Delucia, just pick up a fishing pole and go fish. Having items crafted with your own personal name so that you can go kill people representing your crafter =) is one of my most favorite things. Finding awesome items to rep around the bank and show your steezyness is also a favorite past time. And I hate to say it, but back in the day I enjoyed scamming people with lotto vendors or little tricks I could find on various websites. Now I find little passion in that as I want to keep our player base alive and growing which seems to be nearly impossible with things like WOW and the new Star Wars game grabbing peoples attention. But I've tried those and they simply do not compare.

I have played this game since '97. Through middle school, high school, and college I've been pwning NooBs and speaking "oOOooo's" for years. Always trying to master the game, become a wealthy guild master that can help new players reach their full potential. I received the game on Christmas and immediately avoided all other presents and ran to my computer. My best friend at the time had the game so I knew how awesome it was and could not wait to start my own account. I pinned the awesome map that came with it to the back wall of my desk and studied it as the game installed. My first character names were Sherlock and Lars Weilander on Napa Valley. And what good times those first few years were. Exploring, guilding, sparring, GMing my first skill! My first guild was Generation X run by x-xavier, a goofy man who was way to old to be playing with kids like me.

I cannot say what good this game has done for me in my personal life save for keeping me entertained. Two of my best friends play this game with me and have returned recently to enjoy hybrid. My girlfriend hates the game and gets grumpy when I play in front of her. I think that it helps in some ways to play UO. For instance, instead of going out drinking and wasting brain cells/money I stay at home and remain healthy. Thats not to say it stops me all the time, but it definitly makes me think twice. Not to mention I connect with other people online who enjoy this game and often the same things. It has perfected my typing, kept me happy at lonesome times and been reliable as long as my internet connection wasnt acting up. It has taught me to speak goofy old english, made movies like the Lord of the Rings, Robin Hood and other movies of such genre twice as enjoyable. More importantly is has served as a tool for my imagination.

I love this game. It has made me happy and I enjoy every moment I spend in it. My little brother is playing now and I hope he continues to play so that I can enjoy the game with him.

SJB "Weigraf"

A-KANE

Squire
i enjoy the game because its fun, i love when people get all serious. its just a fuckin game. You can help others or be a dick. the choice is yours.

Silly Santa

Sorceror
Yem,

Although I do not know you - we are both vets though and im sure you know of the many great reasons as to what makes UO so great and addicting to play as i know of as well. You’ll have to excuse me if this is long rofl… I have played UO since 1999 to current and I have experienced so many great things in UO that I will never forget. UO is so great that I have been played OSI/UOG for over 10 years – literally and I can’t ever picture seeing myself quitting this game!

So, what makes UO so great? Here is a lot of reasons as to why i think UO is such a great game with so many great qualities :D

*IDOC’ing*
When I first started playing UO back in 1999 with my cousin and his friend, we went IDOC’ing all the time. It was fun running around all over the place trying to find houses that were fairly and greatly worn. I used to have different sets of runebooks that I would update regularly with their stages. One time – no joke – I literally had came across a house that had fallen and already hit IDOC and no one else was there looting! It was great! What sucked though was that check this – I looted everything right before I was going to school for the day. By the time I came back home, I had none of it! It turned out that when I looted the house that morning, the server reset moments later. It was also really fun camping IDOC’s – not knowing what time it would fall. IDOC’s were fun because it brought a lot of PVP and brought a lot of friends together, trying to secure the area from other people we didn’t know. Also, the pure rush of when the house does fall – rummaging through all of the loot seeing what treasures are to be had.

*OSI Test Center / Factions*
Now I know you will ALL agree with me on this – the Test Center’s on OSI were L33TTT! I remember there were times I would regularly sign in and out of Sonoma just trying to see if a TC came up. The Test Center’s were such a great hit! The player base on them was huge and there was so much fun to be had – whether it being Factions or Pking at the brit graveyard or in moonglow. I remember there was one time I ran for the CL of Minax, back when it was in papua. I had never been the CL before and I really wanted to win it. So, at the time me and my cousin kept making dummy characters to go voting and I eventually won. Son of Wanker was prob pissed tho as he was doing the same thing I was doing, but lost lmao. Regardless though, the factions on TC is something I’ll never ever forget. The Factions and PVP all over the place was mayhem and was crazyyy. Also what made the TC’s so fun was that you could set ANY of your skills to 100 within seconds!

*Being a Newbie*
Although some people prob hated it because it can be frustrating, I loved it. I loved the thrill of exploring all of the lands not knowing where anything was and arriving at new towns and dungeons that I had never seen before. I also liked it because I had to interact with other people when I needed help with something or did not know the answer to something

*Friendships*
Although there are a lot of griefers and ‘not nice people’ on UO – there are still some pretty cool people. It’s always been fun making new friends - going pk hunting with them, dungeon crawling with them, IDOCing with them, having laughs with them and so much more. I have came across a lot of new players on Hybrid and I always have helped them with free regs, armor and runebooks etc. and they are always so thankful. It can be fun and gives you a nice feeling - knowing you helped someone! Also, as i stated - this game brings people together... wether its friends, family or complete strangers. If it wasnt for this game and me and my cousin playing it all the time .... i wouldnt of gotten to known him as much as i did, before he passed away last year.

*Guilds*
Having guilds in any game is always a great quality. When you're in a guild, you can always have a lot of fun compared to if you're not in one. Being in a guild is nice, especially when you're new to the game - because you have people to rely on and play with.

*Houses*
I remember when I first started playing UO, my dream was to always save up enough money to buy a castle one day! It seemed impossible though because it cost so much. Never the less, that didn’t stop me and my cousin though and we kept saving up all our money to eventually buy the biggest house in the game! By the time trammel came around though, the player base diminished and we no longer found the OSI servers fun, thus we came to Hybrid. Our biggest house on the OSI server had been a large tower which was still pretty cool though. Also, being able to decorate it any way we wished was also pretty cool.

*POKER*
Of everything on Ultima Online – I think by far poker is the most greatest things ever that was put into UO. I have spent so many weekends – so many hours- so many days from sunrise to sunset just playing it nonstop. It’s so addicting because well, its gambling rofl. Its fun trying to bluff people with insane amounts of money – beating people with a pair of stinky 3s rofl… or watching people RAGEEE when they lose…. Or winning a hugeeee pot! I have lost a lot and made a lot in poker, but regardless – its all good and its always a fun time.

*Profession's*
Sure we have PVP, Poker and PVM as a means of making money. However! Ultima Online offers us a lot of professions that we can take up to make money as well. For example - Blacksmithing, tinkering, mining, carpentry, alchemy, tailoring etcc. There are so many professions that anyone can take up and can sell to other players in town. The economy that is built into this game is pretty extensive to say the least.

*Scamming*
Now, don’t get me wrong – I’m sure we have all done it once or twice in the past. On OSI, I used to scam a bit here and there – it was sooo fun! I don’t do it anymore though and especially not on Hybrid.

*Merchanting*
As time has gone on – I have found it quite fun, especially after having read UOn00bs guide to merchanting. I like it a lot personally – because it’s guaranteed money and theres a lot to be had! Back in the day, I used to use tradespot a lot, back when I was on OSI. I used to use it for trying to sell new rares I got from trading or PvMing and also to buy new items I was looking for. It was great because it connected you with the community easily. Also, I use the forums here a lot now that I’m on Hybrid and use it to try to get good deals on stuff and also read miscellaneous stuff on the general forum. Also, whats fun aboutmerchanting is being able to sell your stuff on your vendors - without even having to deal with the buyer directly! it makes it sooo much easier while trying to buy/sell items.

*Being Able To Annoy Blues in Delucia*
LOL... There were times when i was on my PK and i would turn up Magic Resist - while im loaded with pots and tele and run all over town while spamming funny things trying to entice blues to chase me down and kill me... a lot of times which i got away !

*Holding Player Run Events*
There were times when i would be in delucia running all over dropping anywhere from 5k-10k checks and large amounts of them all over watching everyone chase me to get one... it was hilarious! Also, there was a time when i dropped a massive amounts of checks in other towns hardly ever used [Nujelm and the RP Town] and gated everyone there and watched everyone running around trying to get one!

*Hybrid – Events*
I find these so fun, especially the CTF’s. It’s a thrill running around trying to steal your enemies Flag’s and trying to get back to your base safely without dying. Also, doing the opposite and trying to defend your base/flag from the enemies trying to run in and kill you and take your cookies hah.

*Factions*
I loveddddd factions. It can be such a rush trying to steal sigils – defending your base from incoming OJ’s, raiding enemy faction bases, setting up town guards and also setting traps all over to lure OJ’s on them! There was one time me and my cousin had set up about 6-7 traps in this little shop in moonglow and OJ’s would keep running in and dying instantly rofl. There was one time me and my cousin had a bunch of war horses on the top of Moonglow bank – we invis’d them – when Oj’s came up to the roof we would be sicking an insane amount of war horses on them and the OJ’s dropped like flies!

*PVM*
I think what also makes Ultima Online great is the unlimited amounts of different types of monstors there are. Unlike other games, UO has so many different monsters that you can PVM all over the world and they all give different types of loot which makes it fun to PVM. Also, dungeon crawling with a bunch of people can also be really fun too because you’re all out there having a great time and making a lot of money and collecting magic weapons and armor.

*PKing*
PKing can be soooo much fun!! It can be such a thrill Pking with a bunch of people running all around, or even from a house. I haven’t PK’d much on UOG, but on OSI I did a lot! I rememeber it was such a rush when TC came up everyone would be rushing to the house in Bucc’s or outside of Mooonglow or by the Brit GY and would try to place a house there or get friended. PKing in those houses used to be so much fun because there was alwaysss constant PVP going on. Even on UOG – the oRc guild (spelling) seems like it would be a really fun guild to join because of the way they PVP. Unlike most people they don’t really use mounts and they death gate people for fun, gank people outside of the poker boat for fun and can even hold their ground outside of Delucia for a while against a lot of blues. I just don’t think I could ever learn their language though hah. Also, its suchb a RUSHHHHH when you have reds trying to gank you - and your running and running trying to get away from them and chuggin pots - tele'ing all over to the point of actually getting away! [Like outside of Delucia for example hah]

*Serverwars*
Although we do not get them that often each week, they are a lot of fun. Usually theres 1-2 GM’s on and they always seem to come up with a a way to spice it up. Wether its L33T mounts, clothes or even monsters. Also, the PVP action is pretty fun too to say the least.

*Handouts*
It makes UOG fun when the GM’s every once in a while that give out a cool handout, like on NYE. Then, seeing the insanity in Delucia with tons of people trying to buy/sell theirs for hours and hours. Its nice that the GM’s do this because it keeps people interested in *new* rares… and *new* things keep the game interesting and fun.

*Special Events*
For example – like the one on Thanksgiving with the turkeys! Rofl….. it was fun trying to kill those beats as they marched their way into town! I wish I tried taming one, but didn’t think of it.

I could go on rofl, as the great qualities of this game are endless... but ill stop there, because this already got soo long! Overall though – you’re playing a game that has a lot to offer with 100’s of people at the same time which helps to not make it a boring game. You know, if you’re playing a game for years – that’s over 10 years old – and you still find it fun – you know it’s a great game with a lot of amazing qualities. I think because UO has so many great qualities and offers so much that anyone can play this game and find it fun because theres so many things you can do here. Like… PVM, PVP, PKing, merchanting, Poker, IDOC’ing, skill bulding, dungeon crawling, making new friends and so much more. I really think UO has a lot of qualities that no other game has ever had. I honestly have never even thought once to myself while playing this game "Im bored" Nopee !Also, since we have dedicated Admin's like Mark and Ryan as well as all of the other Staff - its the foundation for an amazing game! Anyways! i don't know if ill win this - as a lot of great reasons have already been said, but - good luck with everything! Im sure you'll miss UO :D

edit: oh yeahh! How could i possibly forget?! What also makes UOG - Hybrid great is that its *PRE-PUB 16! NOOO TRAMMEEELL* ! *yea!*

WarEagle

Page
This is pretty simple.

UO is the only game that combines a unique skill development system with completely "sandbox" centric play.

There is no story or questing system, and that is a good thing. The land of Britannia is a culmination of the personalities of each of the players who live in it. The diversity of playstyles, templates, and interactions make it so immersive.

Ultima Online is great because it is a world unto itself. When you log on, you literally find yourself in a different society with different norms, with no clear point or purpose other than what you make of it.

UO is an escape into another world, another life. There is no other way to describe it than unadulterated "escape from reality".

Harpoon

Sorceror
You know how everyone has a hobby that they just LOVE? WELLLLLL.... to me UO is like MY KPOP BLISS. SARANEYO TAEYEONEE <3.

I shall list a few of Korean Celebs for you to search k? LOL just kill some time while your reading through all the essays:

Kim Sa Rang
Miss A
Song Ji Hyo
Yoo Jae Suk
Kim Jong Kook
SNSD
T-ARA
Nine Muses
Haha
Gwangsoo
Block B
Big Bang
4 Minute
HyunA
Se7en
Teen Top
IU
2pm
2am
MBLAQ

Hit me up if your still interested LOL

P.S. I LOVE UO. UO IS MY LIFE, DON'T TAKE UO AWAY FROM ME.

Thanks

HWAITING~!!

Odonate

Wanderer
I just started UO about two weeks ago as a way to kill time. I just graduated from college as well, and being an education grad, the job market's in a slump, so evidently, I had nothing to do for a while. My boyfriend recommended it to me as a way to keep me busy since he has a career of his own to attend to. At first, I was skeptical because I don't play these games much. I actually didn't like it when I started because there was just so much to learn. ("macro? like... macro...biology?" "WHERE AM I GOING?! I DIED!!!" "I'm nekkid... I want to wear clothes.. Y_Y" >_>), but as soon as he showed me how to animal tame, I got excited. I could get chickens to follow me and attack things! I named them chicken little, chicken rito and kfc. The graphics aren't great or anything (I like a little more colour/detail), but I still thought they were the cutest little things. He had gotten some friends to join too, and had instructed them to try to help me, so that make things a little bit better. One of them told me I could eventually tame a unicorn, and that got me going. I learned to macro, make money, get skills to 100 (sadly, it feels so close, but it's still so far..).

What really makes me enjoy this game is the different kinds of people. I ran into some interesting folks, both good and bad. I've been killed by delucia, trinsic, brit, yew - everywhere, you name it. Usually by pks. This game is so unforgiving with that cos you lose your stuff. When I was macroing, a guy tried to steal from me, but I was not actually afk so I told him I liked his name (Isaac Newton!) and we talked a bit. He taught me many things and was very nice. When I was taming bulls, a guy came to kill them and get meat (I presume) and I was a little sad. But he asked if he should kill any particular ones, and when I asked why he was asking, he said he wasn't an asshole. That wasn't the impression I got from this game, but from someone named AxE MuRdErEr, I had some faith restored :)Can't judge a player by their moniker! Meeting people is kind of a gamble, which is like that out in the world too.

So my impressions of this game? I like how you have so many choices. What skills, what to do, what to build, where to go. This is kinda like a messaging service (msn, aim) except much better, with a lot more to do! For example, there isn't that awkward moment when both of you have no idea what to talk about. You talk and you can do things while talking. If there is that break in talking, you just assume the other person is busy. This game (or games in general probably) have less tiptoeing around social norms that I really like. Remember when people would always say "oic.." and then you couldn't think of how to reply? Well here, when I see "oic.." I don't even have to care about replying. Also, it's a big world that I can explore. If I could analyze myself psychologically, I would say I enjoy that because I am a poor-ass right now and can't travel anywhere except to the nearest town. At least I can do that virtually now!

TL;DR: This game simulates a life that I would want, so instead of watching Gossip Girl or Desperate Housewives to fill in that hole, I play this instead :)

Sato Reina

Wanderer
Great post Odonate!

Myself and a few friends just started this server after a long time away from UO. In my opinion, the best thing about UO is the people, be it friends or online acquaintances. Yes the gameplay is unique and enjoyable, but I think that what makes it great is the variety of things you can do with your friends (we spend the majority of our time looking for housing locations). Which is why I think that you should make time to play! Even if it is just occasionally ^^ SO don't quit!

~Reina

UO is the best because simply of the game play... stuff the new graphics games that look sik but u can clock it in a week or so... this game is never ending... best PVP ive played in any game .. customising housing, talioring, blacksmithing, taming, and most of all the people interaction... im from NZ and ive made freinds with people all over the world !! even though i work hardout as a supervisor at work and have a family i will still play this game no matter what! :D

aim: natedizle

optiek

Sorceror
I LOVE ULTIMA ONLINE I PLAY IT ALL THE TIME. BEST GAME EVER SERIOUSLY I HOPE ONE OF THE NEW PLAYERS GETS A COOL HOUSE!!

Mara

Knight
I LOVE ULTIMA ONLINE I PLAY IT ALL THE TIME. BEST GAME EVER SERIOUSLY I HOPE ONE OF THE NEW PLAYERS GETS A COOL HOUSE!!

They would probably enjoy and value the home a lot more if they had to work for that kind of wealth, at least in my opinion. You don't want to cheat someone out of the value of pulling themself up by the bootstraps, with a little help here and there (everybody needs a shoulder to cry on for a while with this game from time to time).

Another one of the things that I also like best about this game is the aspect of real-time problem solving. I get to test my ability to work under pressure. There is usually something you could have done a little different to change any unfortunate outcomes you experience. It's one of the games where what you do, down to the fraction of a second, can make a real difference. Through this simulation, you also get a really good feel for the nature of people's psychology for most facets of human interaction. You realize that while there are things you can control, there are also things you cannot. Over time you learn that it's best to focus of the former, but to protect yourself as well as you can from the latter. You also learn the value of other people, and that while you can do everything yourself, it is often advantageous to do what you love, let other people do what they love, and to share the value of your skills with eachother.

Probably one of the best reasons is simply: It is fun!

Silly Santa

Sorceror
The best thing about UO isn't the people, but all the tools and freedom available to the people.

I suggest the place should be given to a new player rather than an old player trying to make a quick buck out of it.

That could be a bad decision, if it is given to a new player. If you think about it - if it is given to a new player - whose to say that new player will be here in a month from now - still appreciating one of the bestest houses available on the shard? I have personally helped a lot of new players with resources, money, armor etc.... and out of a lot of people i hve helped over the course of months+ ... i hardly ever see any of those players - which makes me think they quit... unless they all used NCD's... Regardles though!!!! It's all up to Yem who picks the winner!

UO is a game of skill that tests people quickness and critically thinking as well as their economical and social choices. Along with that it is a perfect game to play when your older sister for some reason needs all the TV's to watch Keeping Up With The Kardashian and Teen Mom as well as using the only house phone to talk to her Arabian Boyfriend Muhamed.

USMCArtillery

Wanderer
I think what makes UO the best game for me is you can always fall back on it. No matter when or if you take a break you can always fall back to it. Its not like other games where you will get left in the dust and need to fight to get back to the top. You can leave at the top and come back in the middlish/topish. I like how its minimally affected by items. Sure there are a few items that help give you an edge but they are things everyone can get at almost anytime it leaves things on an even keel. I also feel the community is its main core its almost like a very improved chat room mixed with cool shit to do. I know I have been falling back on UO for quite sometime even though it was on OSI. Now that I have found this server I will be sticking with it till the owners shut it down. I have made some good friends, had some enemies as well. But overrall there are really no other games that have had such a longevitity and replayability as UO has. This is what makes this game the best of the best. If they were to ever remake it so the "Kids" that are obsessed with eye candy "3d graphics" there would be no stopping it. It would destroy every game that has been created thus far.

All I can really say is that I come back and play for a while and love it. I never make enough to get a house or anything fancy.

UO is adventure.

Nuff Said.