UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

An Auction In UO

Re: An Auction In UO

rjjb said:
More people will see them here? Umm.. how many people use the banks in-game, and how many people are registered for/browse the forums? How many of those that browse the forums browse the buy/sell sections? I think you have it backwards. And therefore, by your statements you will make more money with an in-game auction from the banks.

Of course, the whole 'making more money by number of eyes' idea is bogus to begin with due to people having limited funds and an idea of what an item is worth.

The in game auction I suggested takes as long as the seller tells it to. How is that different from here?

In fact, the in-game auction completes immediately upon the end of the duration when the buyer logs in. With the forums, you have to wait for a convenient time for both buyer and seller to be online at the same time after the auction is complete. Not always an easy thing to do.
gg true

Addicted

Disciple

I'm just telling you, this has been done here a few times.

The last time they set it up almost a month in advance. They posted it everywhere. They gated from every bank.

About 15 people showed up.

Edit: Those 15 people don't count the pk's, thieves, and griefers.

yea cant be done without gm assistance but if they are willing we can make it work i had gms comming to my guilds auctions on osi atlantic 70+ show up make over 50 mill i think we can do half that here

rjjb

Wanderer

@Addicted:

I don't think you quite understand.. what I suggested isn't a one-time auction where you try to get a lot of people to show up at a specific place at a specific time. It's an ongoing NPC script operating 24/7 at every bank.

People add items to the auction as they see fit, bid on the ever-changing list as they see fit, and life goes on. Thus there is no 'x number of people showed up' but rather an interest or lack thereof in any specific item currently up for auction. An item can be placed for auction with a duration of 2-3 weeks if a person wanted to and the script would handle it just the same as if the person put it up for 2-3 hours.

As I recall, there was a way of listing the different types of items and filtering for properties (since the list can get quite large) so it doesn't take long to find what you're looking for.

rjjb said:
@Addicted:

I don't think you quite understand.. what I suggested isn't a one-time auction where you try to get a lot of people to show up at a specific place at a specific time. It's an ongoing NPC script operating 24/7 at every bank.

People add items to the auction as they see fit, bid on the ever-changing list as they see fit, and life goes on. Thus there is no 'x number of people showed up' but rather an interest or lack thereof in any specific item currently up for auction. An item can be placed for auction with a duration of 2-3 weeks if a person wanted to and the script would handle it just the same as if the person put it up for 2-3 hours.

As I recall, there was a way of listing the different types of items and filtering for properties (since the list can get quite large) so it doesn't take long to find what you're looking for.
Sounds like trammel

rjjb

Wanderer

Vaginal Juice said:
Sounds like trammel

Isn't that what you were suggesting for a player-run auction house? :p

Anyhow, suggestion given.. take it for the not much it's worth. I gotta get some stuff done today and threads like this can go on for dozens of pages and not get anywhere.

Rambone

You've been ramb0ned

rjjb said:
@Addicted:

rofl good luck getting any one of the devs to implement that.

to the naysayers (myself included): just let them theorize about how it would be done and how cool it would be. it doesn't matter that many of us have seen it tried with an equal amount of enthusiasm, and watched it fail each and every time. they'll realize it's impossible soon enough.

Rambone, I believe that YOU have seen it fail, and I know that I definitly have a chance at having it fail also. But have you seen anybody take as many precautions as I am taking?

Rambone

You've been ramb0ned

ShneakySquirrel said:
Rambone, I believe that YOU have seen it fail, and I know that I definitly have a chance at having it fail also. But have you seen anybody take as many precautions as I am taking?

like I said in the beginning, ask Kidquikk (mekkahfire). He put up announcements all over the forum / banks with atleast 2 weeks notice, custom designed an 18x18 for the sole purpose of having a secure auction house, and had it staffed by atleast 5 people.

Thats about as thorough as anyon's done it on this shard. If you think you can succede where the rest have failed, have at it.