UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

An Auction In UO

Rambone

You've been ramb0ned
Re: An Auction In UO

go ahead and disregard all the people speaking from experience telling you it won't work, and try it.

I'll attend the second auction.

a loller

Wanderer

Unless you can get Some GM assistance, than all it wold take is 2 things

1. Knowing the location of the auction, which is really easy
2. Having a nice organzied group/guild drop by to say hello, the place would go chaotic, and thus the auction would be ruined, leaving the pks victorious na with everyones loot

If I made it so it was Blue's only, and I would have them submit to a "search", which means someone snooping into their containers so they can't recall out (provided they do steal something), and no weapons or anything.

And I don't think this thing would take HOURS, maybe an hour tops.

a loller

Wanderer

It would still be too easy to raid without GM assistance, Even if u had "bouncers" chances are they wouldnt be able to compete with the reds

Sigler

Sorceror

I'd be more worried about someone with nothing in there pack then something.. Also the gang of PKs outside could always just have there alt thief go in then leave house.. hmm good idea is having it on a large tower and then just lock boxes down so people can't get out. If a thief steals he'l be ganked worst the shneakys momma at a bar (no offence).. Pks cant do anything if the tower isn't close to another house.. The buyer of the stolen item would just have to be quick at swiping his item. THAT and only that would work (with out gm assistance)

Woo da man *baby circles*

Im sure we could ermmm get 18x18 have it on top floor box the doors with crates when we start then just detect the house for any theifs and have a secure area to display the items where players cant reach over the bar

rjjb

Wanderer

I played on UO Redemption a while back and they had more or less the following setup for auctions:

An NPC auctioneer wandering around inside the banks all linked to the same auction. (This way you can start your auction in Vesper, and people can bid on it in Delucia..)

You walk up to the auctioneer and request to auction off an item from the NPC menu. A window pops up (like for BODs) with a form to fill out. (Or you can view a list of auctionable items to bid on and place/update your max bid on items.)

The form contains stuff such as starting bid, reserve, buyout, increment, duration (can be days to weeks), the item name (derived from targeting the item in your backpack/bank to prevent scams), and a player written description to help sell the item.

If the reserve isn't met at the end of the auction, the player is given the option of selling anyway at the last bid when (s)he logs in.

If the item doesn't sell, it was placed back into the bank box as I recall.. possibly as an item deed. (Not sure what would happen there if your box is full.. hehe)

If, at the end of the auction duration, the reserve is met, the item is given to the winner on next login (likely as an item deed so (s)he isn't suddenly immobile or having things dumped on the ground).

Some means of selling your house in this system would be a nice addition and likely not hard to target seeing as a character can only have one.

Anyhow, it was a very secure way of auctioning off items of whatever value without worrying about PKs and the trustworthiness of a player. It was also placed such that everybody could have easy access to it. Not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but I for one would love to see it added.

Sigler

Sorceror

This would require GM assistance to setup a script.... a big script to do this.. I'v seen it on another shard. Its quite bulky in code

rjjb

Wanderer

Naturally it would require a GM. As for 'bulky,' well, I guess that depends on the coder. ;) In any case, the code would be as many lines as necessary to implement the system.

Might be able to get it from UO Redeption if the GMs ask really nice and build on it from there (to sell houses, bulk items like ore/regs).

Anyhow.. just a suggestion I thought I'd throw out there.

Edit: I should note, this could also serve as a means of pulling excess gold out of the game. The auctioneer can charge an auction fee, faction towns (depending on where you initiate the auction) can charge a tax perhaps..

fuck scripts we just need the gm to set the whole area of the house Invul so no one can steal or attack then we are good from there

Addicted

Disciple

Why not just sell your items here? More people will see them. With more people seeing your item and bidding on it you will make more money.

In game auctions take forever and are just full of junk.

rjjb

Wanderer

Vaginal Juice said:
...set the whole area of the house Invul so no one can steal or attack...

Absolutely.. lets have a place for PvPers in the area to run to as a safe haven when things aren't going their way. Or a place to macro certain skills unhindered. Not.

rjjb

Wanderer

Addicted said:
Why not just sell your items here? More people will see them. With more people seeing your item and bidding on it you will make more money.

More people will see them here? Umm.. how many people use the banks in-game, and how many people are registered for/browse the forums? How many of those that browse the forums browse the buy/sell sections? I think you have it backwards. And therefore, by your statements you will make more money with an in-game auction from the banks.

Of course, the whole 'making more money by number of eyes' idea is bogus to begin with due to people having limited funds and an idea of what an item is worth.

Addicted said:
In game auctions take forever and are just full of junk.

The in game auction I suggested takes as long as the seller tells it to. How is that different from here?

In fact, the in-game auction completes immediately upon the end of the duration when the buyer logs in. With the forums, you have to wait for a convenient time for both buyer and seller to be online at the same time after the auction is complete. Not always an easy thing to do.

The place would only be set as a safe haven for the time during the auction, after that, it would be set as normal.

And I wouldn't allow crap to be auctioned off at this auction. Also Addicted, you should recall that I said it would be GOOD stuff, and WHY they would go to the auction, and not just use the forum. It is because, in live auctions, prices reach higher than average. The reason people would be willing to pay for prices that are higher, is because of convinence. MOST of UOGamers doesn't check the forums on a regular basis if at all. Most people don't use the forum for buying and selling, so all in all, more people will probably bid on it. The items will be high-demand items, or I will reject to auction it off.