UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

17 days in Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiluad

Sorceror
bad idea to increase arty drop rate coz more people will tend to quit after they get many ornys and find no purpose in uo

Let do some math. lets assume it takes 1.5 hours to do a round in doom. round out the average drop rate from the OP 25 rounds * 1.5 37.5 hours. 33 artifacts * 37.5 1237.5 hours to get 33 drops, so on average it takes a player 51 and a half days, or lets say 3 months at 12 hours a day to farm an orny. which is being generous to the times suggested.

It will literally take a year or TWO to get an orny for a casual player.

ain't nobody got time to waste days and months and years looking for one item, which is only one part of a suit, especially when they have 20 some odd other characters to suit up.

There's nothing bad about increasing the drop rate of the gauntlet.

mytilus

Sorceror
I can't understand why there is even a single person not supporting this... even for the people who only farm gauntlet as a professional career. Yes the prices come down some but the drops are higher so you would in fact be selling more artifacts. In the end the net should be about the same, and if you are doing it right doom has a decent chance of dropping some pretty sick jewels too, the right combinations of mods and you could make many many times what an orny is worth. If you choose to farm your artifacts it wont take you as long and if you choose to buy your artifacts you wont have to save so long. It's win win all the way around, if somebody is gonna quit game as soon as they get their suit finished then they likely weren't gonna stick around anyways.

sk8nomad

Sorceror
the artifacts are supposed to be rare. dunno why people think everyone should have them. 17 days isn't bad (and if you think that this is a waste of time then perhaps you're playing the wrong game because UO is a GIANT waste of time) I guess if you guys want to increase the gauntlet drop rates, lets increase the glads collar drop rates and inquis(rarity 11>rarity 10), so we can all improve our suits?

the artifacts are supposed to be rare. dunno why people think everyone should have them. 17 days isn't bad (and if you think that this is a waste of time then perhaps you're playing the wrong game because UO is a GIANT waste of time) I guess if you guys want to increase the gauntlet drop rates, lets increase the glads collar drop rates and inquis(rarity 11>rarity 10), so we can all improve our suits?

yeah, why the fuck not. one inquis on this shard anyways, increase the shit. nobody would cry, shit crocodile fuck tards

mytilus

Sorceror

You are saying not everybody deserves an orny?? How would you separate the haves from the have nots? Race maybe?

it wasn't 17 days for an orny...
it was 17 days for one artifact...
most of them are shit item

SCV

Wanderer
Sk8nomad has a point, one of the core concepts of mmos are time investment, players who invest more time on uo should get more rewards, it's a simple as that, and that's the reason why I think it's perfectly normal that older players have more artifacts than newbies, they have devoted more time and effort to the game.
Of course you can argue that this major concept should simply be forgotten. Well in my opinion this concept was created in part to try to fix one of the biggest problems mmos have. Unlike single player games, there's no end...
Also what happens when players get everything they want in a small amount of time? They lose interest and stop playing, I have seen it happen countless times in other shards.

I think most of the people that are pushing towards a bigger drop rate are the pvpers that hope more people will start pvping once they get arties, in my opinion that won't happen, you can't turn a pvmer or a crafter into a ppver just because he got some new arties.
Wether you like it or not demise seems to be mostly a crafter and pve shard, not a pvp one.

Lucifall

Knight
*sigh* Artifacts won't be EASY to get. They will be EASIER and gauntlet will have a better TIME-PROFIT ratio. Completely different situations.

And sorry for the following wall of text:

No artifact is rare at this point. People who have them won't sell since they need it for their suits. The system is supposed to balance the grind for those who have need for them.

Completely different scenarios from inquis (a stealable with 1 month respawn) and glads (a colateral drop from spawning, to which you are consistently rewarded gold and scrolls upon completion).

one of the core concepts of mmos are time investment, players who invest more time on uo should get more rewards, it's a simple as that
The gauntlet point system is supposed to be like this: You spend more time in the gauntlet -> You get more points -> you get artifacts eventually on a reasonable time frame.

No pseudo-random drops. No unreasonable 17 day grinds. Fuck, there are 32 different artifacts if I am not mistaken. Do the math.

Of course you can argue that this major concept should simply be forgotten. Well in my opinion this concept was created in part to try to fix one of the biggest problems mmos have. Unlike single player games, there's no end...
No one is arguing about forgetting that concept. We want a system that actually rewards time spent there rather than pretty much sheer luck. Grinding is supposed to be the means to an end, not the end itself.

Here are some of the means to get suited here:
• Peerless (Peerless artifacts and... 2.5% chance of that CC, SHARED among participants. That's 40 up 80+ peerlesses!)
• BODs (guaranteed profit, absolutely NOT fun to do even if you do it 90% automated. But then you won't be really playing.)
• Gauntlet (...)
• Spawning (Can't be done unless you have at least a basic suit, and even then you will probably get curb stomped by one of the major PvP guilds or paragons)
• General PvM (Sit and kill the same mob over and over for days until you get the gold you need to buy that totem. Fun.)
• Heartwood quests (lol)
• Reset BODs (Fuck... really?)

Now here's how I got suited:
• I started out with plain 2/6 jewels and and no resist LRC suit with a RBC.
• My guild would ask me to help in their spawning, and an allied PvP guild would protect us. Essentially I would PvP and PvM at the same time, HAVE FUN, and gradually earn my place here.
• The various guilds I've been part of helped me with runics, among other things. I never had to do BODs myself, but I did pay for their help by other means.

In short, I actually played the game.

Also what happens when players get everything they want in a small amount of time? They lose interest and stop playing, I have seen it happen countless times in other shards.
By this point I've tried to recruit more than 80 players in this shard, who were seasoned players from other shards (and not necessarily pvp'ers). I've only managed to keep the most recent batch, about 6 of them (the brazilians from MiD/Ds), after a monumental effort which included:
• Having Hz protect all of their spawns
• Helping them do at least 3 peerless bosses a day
• Farming and buying huge amounts of leather so they could do BODs
• These 6 people doing BODs together
• Handing them out 115's, basic artifacts and good runics to start with

Now imagine a new player, without any experience, help or skill, or a returning veteran (just check the guild section), who already went thru the sore of getting suited but lost it all, trying to achieve the same goal alone.

you can't turn a pvmer or a crafter into a ppver just because he got some new arties.
#1 Reason people give me to not fight me: "Look at your suit. I have no chance."

Indeed, new artifacts won't automatically make them PvP'ers. But they will have more fighting chance than someone in crap SRSK or HRSK runics (and some don't even have that much!). MAYBE they will join the PvP scene. But one thing is assured: They will be rewarded for their time spent, and not frustrate themselves after their "luck" rewards them an artifact they don't have use for.

Want it or not, PvM and PvP are part of the game. Most players do both, but prefer to put emphasis on one. Since they focus on one aspect of the game they are usually reluctant to try the other, specially if they KNOW they will have no chance because their gear is poor.

Now, regardless if they try PvP or not... at least they won't be bored out of their minds.

Facko

Sorceror
I think most of the people that are pushing towards a bigger drop rate are the pvpers that hope more people will start pvping once they get arties, in my opinion that won't happen, you can't turn a pvmer or a crafter into a ppver just because he got some new arties.

The fact that you can spend so much time in there and come out with nothing turns a lot of people off to the idea of doing either pvp or pvm. With the exception of a handful of named mobs and doom, there is really no way to turn a profit fighting anything else. The loot here is more than a little wrong and keeps everyone farming in the same few areas because that's where the few monsters worth fighting are. It's not just doom that needs to be fixed, just one of the biggest things that needs attention.

Like I've said before, playing the game should be a viable option. Crafters and merchants will always have more but that's not the point. You shouldn't have to dip into the OPTIONAL world of crafting for your character to be effective.

Also there are players that have been here for years who've never received a high-end artifact from doom. Getting more people does mean the potential for more pvp too, even if the current players don't make that change.

MB

Knight
assume it takes 1.5 hours to do a round in doom.

round out the average drop rate to 25 rounds * 1.5 hours = 37.5 hours

33 artifacts * 37.5=1237.5 hours to get 33 drops

3 months at 12 hours a day to farm an orny

I'm all for doubling the drop rates, but no need to exaggerate and act like it's a full time job. Should be more like 20 minutes per round, which makes it a time investment of ~300 hours to get 33 artifacts. It's a lot of boring play time, but not in the scheme of how much time people typically log in this game, spending hours rearranging boxes of runics or fireball looping 40 peerless to get a cc. 5 people doing 1 hr Semidars would take 100 hours to get 5 glad collars and 3-4 sashes (if they never lost a spawn).

I am an expert on Doom because I once got a Helm of Insight.

Mister Pink

Squire
Double the drop rate. There are so many crap artifacts it really won't hurt the value of the good ones by that much, but nothing more frustrating than grinding out gaunt and have nothing to show for it.

Mister Pink

Squire
I'm all for doubling the drop rates, but no need to exaggerate and act like it's a full time job. Should be more like 20 minutes per round, which makes it a time investment of ~300 hours to get 33 artifacts. It's a lot of boring play time, but not in the scheme of how much time people typically log in this game, spending hours rearranging boxes of runics or fireball looping 40 peerless to get a cc. 5 people doing 1 hr Semidars would take 100 hours to get 5 glad collars and 3-4 sashes (if they never lost a spawn).

Peerless bosses are guaranteed to drop recipe ingredients and you can choose if you want to do it solo or with a team so you can maximize your luck if you wanted to. In addition you can get the human fey leggings and other mondain legacy artifacts. Yes they aren't great, but that is something.

Champ spawns are entertaining because they don't always end in the same way and if done right you end up with 12 scrolls and a possible artifact.

Doom on the other hand is the most boring fucking aspect of this game. It's a grind. You have dipshit teammates that you didn't choose, and most of them roll with an average of 200 luck. If you have a dipshit teammate at a champs spawn you can murder them for being a leech. I have gone to doom and come back after spending many hours with crap loot and maybe 40k gold. It's really not worth doing with it's current drop rate.

Double the drop rate.

Kiluad

Sorceror

Kinda depends who's there. i went to the gauntlet after that post, way faster than i remember.

And actually, i just timed a round, it took closer to 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.