UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

what makes roleplay die?

Teclis (RcB)

Wanderer
Re: what makes roleplay die?

A black man (fast & big);1294509 said:
RcB will always be the greatest on UOG.

word.

RP is not dead, but I agree we are all to spread out to find each other easily, looking forward to the new islands.

Elendili!

Knight

Arven;1295024 said:
And it is that attitude that is further killing RP. Because of the griefers everyone has to be ready to fight at all times. It's nearly impossible to roleplay a noncombatant character.

It's getting to the point where most of the RP guilds are nothing more than PvP guilds that talk funny.

then that would be your opinion of rp, you can play a noncombatant char, just better hang with people who can defend you. you may not realize this but not everyone enjoys sitting around on gimped chars talking to each other.

Teclis (RcB)

Wanderer

No Ele, you shouldn't have to engage in pvp if you dont want to as a roleplayer.

Im tired of certain guilds recalling into other guild areas, spending 10 seconds there then proceeding to say

"Your soul is mine"

or

"Ill eat your soul"

And killing crafters or tamers, not everyone should have to pvp in rp if they dont want too.

Nienor

Wanderer

Griefers are not killing Rp.
We are not building new lands. The Islands are in felucca which is an exisiting land.

At the time that we started to build these Islands yew wasn't very populated with Rp'ers.

If you guys let griefers ruin your rp experience then maybe it's time to call it quits and play something like monopoly.

selo

Wanderer

Teclis (RcB);1295579 said:
No Ele, you shouldn't have to engage in pvp if you dont want to as a roleplayer.

Im tired of certain guilds recalling into other guild areas, spending 10 seconds there then proceeding to say

"Your soul is mine"

or

"Ill eat your soul"

And killing crafters or tamers, not everyone should have to pvp in rp if they dont want too.

qft

Vas Griffith;1296041 said:
If you guys let griefers ruin your rp experience then maybe it's time to call it quits and play something like monopoly.
Monopoly is fun if you're the banker. You can steal 500 dollars when there is a food or bathroom break during the long games.

Caz

Knight

Teclis (RcB);1295579 said:

"Your soul is mine"

or

"Ill eat your soul"

qft qft qft

Moyvin

Wanderer

I wouldn't use griefing as an excuse to why roleplay has died. I roleplayed on Chesapeake with guilds such as Pax Lair, Clan Of Vampires etc, and this was all integrated in Felucca. Pks would come around regularly, and they were delt with.

If there is any truth to the statement about relying too much on the GM's I'd have to say that is the problem. A lot of the quests, and Seer placed orc forts, placeables etc we received on Chessy were earned from creativity and teamwork amongst the roleplayers. The seers noticed us, we didn't go to the seers.

I'd be more than willing to help if I could see some sort of mature structure forming here, but it seems like everyone wants to give up and complain.

Isolation from the forums here could actually work if people worked together well in the community. Our community grew on Chessy from word of mouth, I think that having a spot here on the same boards that all of the pkers view is setting the community up to be griefed. You're just asking for it.

My suggestion, work things out amongst yourselves(most important thing). Roleplay in the lands provided. Don't roleplay around Brit Bank, and other busy spots where pks will notice you. Work together and purchase houses from people in a nice secluded area, and go from there.

Pax Lair was only a few screens away from where one of the most dominant pk guilds Kaoc was stationed, but it did, and is still doing very well. Work with what you have.

The idea of roleplaying here interests me, I'm not playing any games right now, just working on my cartoon, so this would be a nice outlet and break from drawing from time to time.

If I see something happening here, I'd love to help.

[Edit: I just noticed a bunch of new roleplay guilds popping up recently, are these guilds getting in touch with each other, and the current roleplay guilds? This is another important factor. All of the roleplay guilds should be in touch with each other, in some way, shape or form.]

hda007

Wanderer

My thoughts are that roleplaying dies when the leaders of the guilds cannot commit the time to give their members things to do. This includes members not being dedicated to spend that time in service to the guild. I feel that the majority of roleplayers are actually in college IRL, so when that final semester for the term rolls around (like now) everyone disappears because they have more pressing matters in life to take care of. But we always come back ^_^

If you keep the perspective that you can take the initiate to bring it back to life, you'd be surprised to find what happens.

The RcB got a new member a few weeks ago. He was online more than his leaders. We promoted him for everything he continued to do for the guild, now he's about to start the first Navy the guild has ever had.

We never asked him to do a thing, he just took initiative. Now we're all back and look forward to having a growth to match that of the Royal Council's former years, to conted even with the quality of those past year. It really is up to each player, you can't rely on someone else to make the game fun for you.

Moyvin

Wanderer

hda007;1297046 said:
My thoughts are that roleplaying dies when the leaders of the guilds cannot commit the time to give their members things to do. This includes members not being dedicated to spend that time in service to the guild. I feel that the majority of roleplayers are actually in college IRL, so when that final semester for the term rolls around (like now) everyone disappears because they have more pressing matters in life to take care of. But we always come back ^_^

If you keep the perspective that you can take the initiate to bring it back to life, you'd be surprised to find what happens.

The RcB got a new member a few weeks ago. He was online more than his leaders. We promoted him for everything he continued to do for the guild, now he's about to start the first Navy the guild has ever had.

We never asked him to do a thing, he just took initiative. Now we're all back and look forward to having a growth to match that of the Royal Council's former years, to conted even with the quality of those past year. It really is up to each player, you can't rely on someone else to make the game fun for you.

I completely agree. This is the truth. It shouldn' t be matter of guild members being online either, but this does bring up once again the importance of all roleplay guilds being in contact with each other and also setting up scheduled events (without the GM's help).

hda007

Wanderer

Moyvin;1297055 said:
...the importance of all roleplay guilds being in contact with each other...(without the GM's help).

Exactly. This is why we've began to impliment a guild meeting IG once a week to get everyone together and talk about what we've been doing. It's very motivational, and it gets everyone together at the same time, not trying to find out who is on and who can do this, rather it's a re-occuring special event. Events and such can spread from the meetings if not on the forums prior.

It's been doing wonders. ^_^

And thanks for the support, nice to know i'm not alone in my thinking.

Arven

Wanderer

Moyvin;1296968 said:
I wouldn't use griefing as an excuse to why roleplay has died. I roleplayed on Chesapeake with guilds such as Pax Lair, Clan Of Vampires etc, and this was all integrated in Felucca. Pks would come around regularly, and they were delt with.

If there is any truth to the statement about relying too much on the GM's I'd have to say that is the problem. A lot of the quests, and Seer placed orc forts, placeables etc we received on Chessy were earned from creativity and teamwork amongst the roleplayers. The seers noticed us, we didn't go to the seers.

I'd be more than willing to help if I could see some sort of mature structure forming here, but it seems like everyone wants to give up and complain.

Isolation from the forums here could actually work if people worked together well in the community. Our community grew on Chessy from word of mouth, I think that having a spot here on the same boards that all of the pkers view is setting the community up to be griefed. You're just asking for it.

My suggestion, work things out amongst yourselves(most important thing). Roleplay in the lands provided. Don't roleplay around Brit Bank, and other busy spots where pks will notice you. Work together and purchase houses from people in a nice secluded area, and go from there.

Pax Lair was only a few screens away from where one of the most dominant pk guilds Kaoc was stationed, but it did, and is still doing very well. Work with what you have.

The idea of roleplaying here interests me, I'm not playing any games right now, just working on my cartoon, so this would be a nice outlet and break from drawing from time to time.

If I see something happening here, I'd love to help.

[Edit: I just noticed a bunch of new roleplay guilds popping up recently, are these guilds getting in touch with each other, and the current roleplay guilds? This is another important factor. All of the roleplay guilds should be in touch with each other, in some way, shape or form.]

The Paxlair/Chessie community isn't comparable to the one we have here, imo. The individual guilds were run by much more mature people, and weren't nearly as PVP oriented as the ones here are.

Hell, I remember unless there was a planned battle Vampires and Orcs could walk around Pax relatively unmolested. I remember there being Orcs hanging out in the Ladies of the Lair tavern... here if an Orc went near a good RP guild's place he'd be swiftly executed. Granted, things are a bit different here. Bloodclan is a lot more bloodthirsty than Olag Hai was.

Moyvin

Wanderer

Arven;1298435 said:
The Paxlair/Chessie community isn't comparable to the one we have here, imo. The individual guilds were run by much more mature people, and weren't nearly as PVP oriented as the ones here are.

Hell, I remember unless there was a planned battle Vampires and Orcs could walk around Pax relatively unmolested. I remember there being Orcs hanging out in the Ladies of the Lair tavern... here if an Orc went near a good RP guild's place he'd be swiftly executed. Granted, things are a bit different here. Bloodclan is a lot more bloodthirsty than Olag Hai was.

This is true, but at the same time.. what we had going there worked well, and would work here if people were willing.

As for events and so forth, the orcs do a pretty good job IMO of keeping things interesting. We're holding a darkmoon feast tonight as a matter of fact.

As for us being bloodthirsty, it's only because no one talks to us first. They see a red name and [Orc] and they dbl click. I rarely initiate combat unless a fellow orc is being attacked and I ask for tribuut all the time.

Ask Yew, we've gone to them on different occasions to raid them and sometimes just to mess with them or throw foul language at em. Heh.

Look, if you want orcs involved with something, check out our webpage and talk to some of the WC members about it.

For instance, I'm sure you could establish a tavern or even use ours and get it declared as a no raid zone for large groups of orcs. Just talk to our leaders.

I'd love to see more interaction with the rest of the community so long as I don't have to be harrased by mount riding magic casting idiots. Because that's what most of the rest of Hybrid's RP community boils down to.

I can't stand it how every "RP'er" is a tank mage. GTFO. Get some variety. Maybe a fisherman tank mage? =/

selo

Wanderer

Thats shit and you know it. The amount of times I have gone to Orc HQ on Misti and tried to RP with them, and have had four or five scrubs double click me and chase me away is inmeasurable. Old orcs, sure they roleplayed, but orcs of the last six months have done very little imo.

Orcs have potential, but alot of the time its squandered.

Eomir

Sorceror

There has been a lot of griefer attacks recently against the orcs. For this reason they are on edge! Be careful when encountering them and make sure you do not have the appearence of a griefer. Here are a couple rules and tips for those who wish to have a successful and fulfilling rp interaction with the orcs:

Rule #1: DO NOT GO TO THE ORC FORT ON MOUNT.
Anyone seen on a mount is likely to look like a griefer thus the orcs treat them as a griefer.

Rule #2: ALWAYS SPEAK FIRST AND SPEAK LIKE A RPER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD
If you take the time to talk to an orc as though you're playing a role they are more likely to ask questions first then klomp ya rather than the other way around.

Rule #3: DO NOT GET SCARED AND RUN AWAY!!!
When you first encounter orcs they will usually run at you in a intimidating fashion until they surround ya. If you stay in one spot it gives them the chance to ask for tribute. This moment of brief communication is your window of opportunity to rp with the orcs.

Rule #4: GIVE TRIBUTE!
Giving tribute to the orcs sends a message that you are not there for blood. It basically buys you free passage to maybe talk with the orcs for a little bit before they tell you to skat. Remember, tribute doesn't have to be anything special or valuable. When i go rp with the orcs i usually make sure i have a couple of gems to give to them. They always seem to go nuts over the shinee rokz as they call them.

Rule #5: LEAVE WHEN THEY TELL YOU TO SKAT
Failing to comply with this will earn you some hostilities from the orcs. They don't like having humans hanging around in their lands. Of course if you do pay tribute then leave as they tell you to, you can at a later time return for some more rp interaction as long as you follow the above rules.

I hope this info will be of help to you when you try to rp with the orcs in the future. The best rule to remember is to look like a rper not a griefer!

Disclaimer: There are quite a number of new orcs in the klan that are still learning the roe with others on this server. Given time they will grow into excellent rpers. Lets let them know that there is more to this server than just griefers so that they will be able to know the difference between the two.

Have fun!!! Hope to see you in game in the future.

Caz

Knight

Eomir;1299172 said:

I think abm knows how to interact with other rpers. :\

And yeah.. it's the same when I go, before saying anything about 5 pugs run up to you and try to kill you. o-o

Caz, he was putting it out there for general knowledge. As for orcs that instant attack before asking tribuut...

That's our fault as leadership for not instilling this basic in the the newer orcs. At the same time, Eomir is right about how we've been on edge lately. Alot of people just synch dump on us first and ask questions later.

I see someone mounted dressed like a clown, I think griefer. I see someone not mounted dressed like a human being or a knight or something like that, I think roleplayer.

Sometimes, in the middle of tense times, I won't think anything but WAAARRRGGH! like a true orc. So it's come and go.