UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Thieves and Thievery: The Guide.

Re: Thieves and Thievery: The Absolute Guide.

Can anyone explain to me the whole, last target disarm thief thing..
im having a problem it i set there weapon on last target, disarm and try to steal last target and it says it cannot see the target or something of the sort

fluffyrabbit

Wanderer

quick tip on training stealing... u can seperate coins to increase wieght of bags that ur stealing... ie: have 4 seperate coins in a pouch an it wieghs 5 stones

superdude

Wanderer

for those of you having trouble gaining stealing I did it in about a couple hours just need to tell a pack llama (or horse) to guard you til it turns green. In my case I had to stable and take it back out use the drop down menu and it turned grey when I selected guard, worked the same. Use a bag starting with about 200 gold in it then make a macro.

My macro may not be what others use but it worked great.
Use Skill Stealing
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (make this your pack llama)
Then after you do that physically take your cursor and lift the bag back into your packy.
then add a pause for 10 seconds.
finish recording.

Works like a charm and I loved it, happy gaining all.

yem

Knight

erendor;275756 said:
What’s with the criminal status? Permagrey? : Okay, this bit can be sort of confusing, and even I haven’t figured it all out. If anyone can help, please do. My understanding is this: If you steal from someone, regardless of whether or not you’re noticed, you go grey to them, forever (until you die, actually). This is permagrey. They can attack you at any time, and if they do, they go grey to you for two minutes. This means you can actually fight and kill people in town (the basis of a PvP thief) by stealing from them and waiting for them to attack.

I'm not sure if someone addressed this already, I haven't read all of the other posts yet, but you will remain perma gray to the person you stole from until they kill you, you can die to someone else and still be gray to them

yem

Knight

Borrower;275995 said:
Once u rez and get legit blue again, if someone kills u cuz "-hes a perma grey lets gank him!" well u can actually count them.

false, you can never count as a thief

yem

Knight

erendor;275756 said:
Don’t be a bank sitting thief.
It’s just retarded. There is way too little nowadays that can be stolen and be worth it at a bank – it’s all either blessed or too heavy or they’re being careful about it. Plus, even when you can steal things, you’re very likely going to get guard whacked. Doing this just so people lose things is griefing, and it’s just plain stupid. [highlight]Having another character or friend stand by to pick up the stuff from your body is lame as well, there’s no skill in getting yourself continuously killed to gain a few regs/statues.[/highlight]

this doesn't matter because the item you steal goes right back to the person you stole it from if you get guard whacked right after stealing it. it doesn't matter if you have 1000 friends surrounding your corpse so the guy can't get to it, he'll still get his stuff back

yem

Knight

Rufio_NMK;1583195 said:

you +1'd a guy who hasn't been on the forums for 2 years :(
hes gone and still gets more rep than me

GreatSquid

Sorceror

If it is just defensive then you could drop tactics completely as this only adds to damage and the anatomy aids your healing, so I would just drop tactics and stick with gm anat.

U

Unregistered

GreatSquid;1616310 said:
If it is just defensive then you could drop tactics completely as this only adds to damage and the anatomy aids your healing, so I would just drop tactics and stick with gm anat.

yeah that was my original plan. just to use a dp'd wep as defense.

thanks!

DimitriPopov

Wanderer

Thanks for helping me make my theif, the only problem is Ive never found much good to steal.

Andycrapped

Wanderer

DimitriPopov;1616702 said:
Thanks for helping me make my theif, the only problem is Ive never found much good to steal.

Oh, keep looking. Usually the random people around Delucia and WBB. The japs around Skara usually carry some good loot too.

Uyresoul

Sorceror

Forgive me if this has already been stated elsewhere within this thread, but a good way to steal is from behind your mark. From experience you go grey alot less when stealing from behind. I would like to add another thing about a Mage/Thief template, as stated before make sure you carry at least 15-20 regs or perhaps 10 if you are feeling brave and allow yourself to get used to using teleport and hiding. It is more than possible to teleport and with pretty essential timing, when you teleport and are about to appear at your location use your hiding skill. This works wonders if you are riding an ethereal mount, as you can then dismount and use stealth *Only if you have the time to do so*, or perhaps you could use invisibility and instant stealth when you dismount which can really fool someone who is chasing you.

Remember, the thief build has many different types all of which are useful for different situations. I currently have two builds the most played is my mage/thief who I just love because of the flexibility of the build. It allows me to go anywhere quickly and keep 95% of my out of guard thefts. My other build is disarm/thief which I also like to play from time to time, but it has its limitations for me as I am unable to go everywhere fast without the use of recall scrolls which can be very frustrating if I get a message of a high valued theft elsewhere within Ultima Online.

kazana

Wanderer

Quick (potentially stupid) question:
Will you always get guard whacked whenever there is an NPC within 7x7?

I was playing around to see whether I can steal with NPCs in the vicinity, and I didn't manage to steal anything (no matter how light the item was).

There was this guy afk macroing with only one NPC within range. I tried to steal his non-noobified dagger but got whacked on every single attempt - and I tried a LOT. Being a GM at stealing.

Felon-D*S

Wanderer

Not to argue with the OP, but as others agree, town stealing is quite profitable. My thief consistantly gets away doing thefts right in the middle of West Bank - occasionally making away with decent loot. Sometimes I disguise up, change clothes, and go thru people's gate advertisment for their vendor houses. I'll hide around and wait and steal from people purchasing com deeds and vanqs...and it's been profitable enough to supply my tamer with 15k each reg com deeds someone had in a nice stealable pouch.

Aside from profit, it can be quite a tension breaker from your day-to-day grind of muling and pvp/banksitting. Delucia is a great place to steal and try to get away I have found. The other day I stole from some tamer who chased me the better part of 30 minutes before I sat and let her kill me to wipe status. It was quite fun, although she followed me around the next half hour flaming me for stealing her bandages.

House stealing can be rewarding as well... I sometimes sit outside known pk/guild houses and follow members in with stealth. I know, you're think "wtf boring" but...I like o steal from them while they afk for a pee break and have drylooted several people's packs doing this. Occasionally you will get caught, so my advice is to hide in their face and logout. You aren't friended to their house so it will kick you outside. Now, just log back in and run like hell. I have made friends actually doing this, I guess because it's rather obscure, but it will keep you alive. JUST don't get attacked...hide fast and logout.

Factioners, I love you. So much great loot is to be had and held just looting factioner's and running. 80% of the time I get away with nice pouches FULL to the brim with pots and over 100 each reg - may not seem like much, but I xfer it to my tamer and make 100k from that little stolen pouch, and if I die - meh, wasn't mine to begin with.

I am by no means rich, nor have I been - maybe not even middle class. However, by running loot and pilfered goods from him I have become self-sufficient and able to do what I enjoy doing with little effort in hunting/BODs/IDOCs. At one time I had contemplated a thieves guild, and advertised it here quite a bit, but it didn't really take. Is anyone running something like this?

bokonglik

Wanderer

errrrrrrrrrrrr.....

a stupid question...
so i cant fight mage with the melee thief?
as there is no rs... and you cant cast reflection...