UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

The state of Ultima Online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorthic

Knight
The state of Ultima Online.

To be honest, I don't really know how to start this out. I'm simply going to keep typing, and whatever comes of this, comes of it.

What happened to Ultima Online? What happened to UOGamers? What happened to everything we once stood and played for? Why, I remember back when I first started playing UO. I was about thirteen then, and damn, it was fun. Valient battles versus dragons, seeing my first balron in a dungeon and being scared shitless, because at the time, I wasn't as apathetic about the game as I am now. At the time, everything in UO meant something to me, simply because it was another world; a world different from mine own. A world in which I could relax, and enjoy the fineries of a different age.

A long time ago, when I first started playing UO, I wanted a house. I walked for days and days (literally, real-time days), and simply couldn't find where I wanted to build a house. Finally, north of Minoc, east of Reaper valley, just below the plains, there was a dense wooded area. I thought it was perfect. Now, all I had to do was find an axe so I could chop down those damn trees, is what I thought to myself. So, I found myself an axe. I tried for another three days to chop down trees, and I was getting so damn frustrated! Finally, I saw someone, and asked him, "How do I get rid of these trees? I really want to build a house!" After all, I'd seen plenty of other houses built in forested areas, and I wanted one as well. The guy laughed and was very kind. He told me, "Come on, man... don't you know? You have to find an empty spot and buy a housing deed in order to place a house. It's pretty simple. How long have you been chopping trees for?" I told him that it'd been three days, and again he laughed, yet I did not feel as if he were berating, or ridiculing me. It was an entirely different world, where I could interact with people I never would've had the chance to meet in real life. Ultima Online was a world of wizardry, of mighty heroes who lay claim to the corpses of even mightier beasts. Ultima Online was everyone's fantasy; a world with no true reprocussions. A world where you can enjoy that which you choose to, instead of life forcing upon you what it will.

Ultima Online was fun.

Now, as I look back on the "good ol' days," I smile to myself and laugh at the countless hours I've spent with my eyes glued to the monitor. As time has passed, however, the game has lost its edge. The game has lost its fun for me. I log in now merely out of habit, and because I've acquired so much that it'd be a waste to not do something with it. That, and I can on occasion find something to do that is entertaining; whether it be pvp, merchantry or joining a random guild and going on a dungeon crawl or treasure hunt. As I look back and reflect, comparing how I felt then to how I feel now, I can honestly say that I do not have the fun I once did.

How can this be fun? Constant flaming and shit-talking to one another, and I'm not innocent! I know this... and yet, I feel as if all of us, as a community, could do better to improve the gameplay of not only ourselves, but each other, which would in turn make this game far more fun than it is now. I don't have the solution, but if we try, can't we find one? Instead of putting in patch after patch after patch to cure the ailments of the game for merely a short time, why not revamp the entire god damn system? Let's find out what the players want--what they need.

Ryan, Krrios, Mark, Samara... all of the staff, the entire lot of you (even Terron!) have done such an amazing job at bringing UO back to what it once was, and even though nearly everything is the same, you'll never be able to patch the lack of faith the players have in one another. You'll never be able to bring back the spirit that Ultima Online once had. That is our choice, as players, as individuals, and as a community. It is our choice whether or not we will make this game fun, and to be honest, I don't think many people care. It doesn't seem as if people play this game to have fun, so much as they play it out of sheer habit, out of boredom. I wish, for just one day, that UO could be like it once was. I wish that once again the spirit of the players could rise and conquer all. I wish that on every screen there was something different. Battles meant something. Victors were crowned and known. Now, with all of the thirty party programs, hacks, cheats, scamming, exploits and whatever else... victory changes hands like coin.

I wish that for just once, everyone would just sit back and realize how they've made the game not only for others, but for themselves. Why do something you don't enjoy? Why live, or play, in misery? Would you stay with a woman simply because you believed that nothing better would come of this life? And the same goes for you women--why stay with a man when there is so much more out there? Why eat food that you don't like if there's something in the fridge that, even though it needs to be cooked, is absolutely delicious? If each and every one of us will take a step back and realize what we can do for this game, and for one another, I believe that this game could once again be truly, truly fun.

Forgive my rambling, and I have one more thing to say: Don't let a good thing die.

Thank you,
Lorthic

Re: The state of Ultima Online.

Furota said:
To be honest, I don't really know how to start this out. I'm simply going to keep typing, and whatever comes of this, comes of it.

What happened to Ultima Online? What happened to UOGamers? What happened to everything we once stood and played for? Why, I remember back when I first started playing UO. I was about thirteen then, and damn, it was fun. Valient battles versus dragons, seeing my first balron in a dungeon and being scared shitless, because at the time, I wasn't as apathetic about the game as I am now. At the time, everything in UO meant something to me, simply because it was another world; a world different from mine own. A world in which I could relax, and enjoy the fineries of a different age.

A long time ago, when I first started playing UO, I wanted a house. I walked for days and days (literally, real-time days), and simply couldn't find where I wanted to build a house. Finally, north of Minoc, east of Reaper valley, just below the plains, there was a dense wooded area. I thought it was perfect. Now, all I had to do was find an axe so I could chop down those damn trees, is what I thought to myself. So, I found myself an axe. I tried for another three days to chop down trees, and I was getting so damn frustrated! Finally, I saw someone, and asked him, "How do I get rid of these trees? I really want to build a house!" After all, I'd seen plenty of other houses built in forested areas, and I wanted one as well. The guy laughed and was very kind. He told me, "Come on, man... don't you know? You have to find an empty spot and buy a housing deed in order to place a house. It's pretty simple. How long have you been chopping trees for?" I told him that it'd been three days, and again he laughed, yet I did not feel as if he were berating, or ridiculing me. It was an entirely different world, where I could interact with people I never would've had the chance to meet in real life. Ultima Online was a world of wizardry, of mighty heroes who lay claim to the corpses of even mightier beasts. Ultima Online was everyone's fantasy; a world with no true reprocussions. A world where you can enjoy that which you choose to, instead of life forcing upon you what it will.

Ultima Online was fun.

Now, as I look back on the "good ol' days," I smile to myself and laugh at the countless hours I've spent with my eyes glued to the monitor. As time has passed, however, the game has lost its edge. The game has lost its fun for me. I log in now merely out of habit, and because I've acquired so much that it'd be a waste to not do something with it. That, and I can on occasion find something to do that is entertaining; whether it be pvp, merchantry or joining a random guild and going on a dungeon crawl or treasure hunt. As I look back and reflect, comparing how I felt then to how I feel now, I can honestly say that I do not have the fun I once did.

How can this be fun? Constant flaming and shit-talking to one another, and I'm not innocent! I know this... and yet, I feel as if all of us, as a community, could do better to improve the gameplay of not only ourselves, but each other, which would in turn make this game far more fun than it is now. I don't have the solution, but if we try, can't we find one? Instead of putting in patch after patch after patch to cure the ailments of the game for merely a short time, why not revamp the entire god damn system? Let's find out what the players want--what they need.

Ryan, Krrios, Mark, Samara... all of the staff, the entire lot of you (even Terron!) have done such an amazing job at bringing UO back to what it once was, and even though nearly everything is the same, you'll never be able to patch the lack of faith the players have in one another. You'll never be able to bring back the spirit that Ultima Online once had. That is our choice, as players, as individuals, and as a community. It is our choice whether or not we will make this game fun, and to be honest, I don't think many people care. It doesn't seem as if people play this game to have fun, so much as they play it out of sheer habit, out of boredom. I wish, for just one day, that UO could be like it once was. I wish that once again the spirit of the players could rise and conquer all. I wish that on every screen there was something different. Battles meant something. Victors were crowned and known. Now, with all of the thirty party programs, hacks, cheats, scamming, exploits and whatever else... victory changes hands like coin.

I wish that for just once, everyone would just sit back and realize how they've made the game not only for others, but for themselves. Why do something you don't enjoy? Why live, or play, in misery? Would you stay with a woman simply because you believed that nothing better would come of this life? And the same goes for you women--why stay with a man when there is so much more out there? Why eat food that you don't like if there's something in the fridge that, even though it needs to be cooked, is absolutely delicious? If each and every one of us will take a step back and realize what we can do for this game, and for one another, I believe that this game could once again be truly, truly fun.

Forgive my rambling, and I have one more thing to say: Don't let a good thing die.

Thank you,
Lorthic

true that

mdwright

Wanderer

I'd +1 but I can't!

The very first thing I did when I started playing UO was talk to Emeral the Thief for about 30 mins. I got raged when he was walking around but ignoring me. I thought he was a player.

that means you finally got tired of this game, ultima online wont last forever
you should go find a new one
;/

I remeber farming cows at Jhelom Farms for weeks training swords and making leather and selling it to make gold. I remeber taking NPCs and pking them and stealing their loot. Hell, I remember red npcs in town, saying "I will take thee!" a few even killed me, hehe.

I went red on my character with 2,000 and could not get it out of the bank and wanted to quit because I lost my 2k gold, ROFL.

I remember stealing a power viking sword from this guy we thought was GOD, because he had magic weapons. I used it in deceit to kill bone knights and I got pked and lost it, I wanted to quit then as well.

I remember pking and getting 25 counts and getting connection lost and died, I did not want stat loss so I macroed him for like 4 months, that was fun as well.

This game used to be so different, but it is still fun on UOGamers, thanks for allowing us to play for free staff, we love you all.

Wanderer

Excellent mission statement. To me, everything you said is true in all its forms. I miss the old UO. I remember the first week I started I got lost somewhere between the forest around Yew so I walked for hours and as I was getting to Vesper a group of pks surrounded me...Didn't know what to do , so i beg... They told me to strip down and let them take a pic with a girl. Then they left...i was so releived lol. Won't say anymore stories cuz i got a million of em.

And btw Thanks UOG staff for keeping UO alive for the people

i remmeber my first day i uo. it was actually on hybrid and i appeared at trinsic went out of town and got killed by a snake... didnt play for 2 weeks after that. after that it was SOOO fun. its like i learned something new everyday. i remembering when me and 3 of my friends killed ettins (yeah we needed 4 ppl to kill one) and i used to loot everything and i didnt care if i went grey even tho i didnt understand it heh. the we moved on to solen and i was amazed when once a guy came with an ice wyrm and killed solens so easily and made a promise that one day i will have one. then we got mares and i even bought a WW for all the gold i had (50k :/). those days will never come back and i miss them alot. now im even too lazy to mine or make anything, unless it gets me millions...

pete84

Sorceror

greatly put. i feel the same, now i think of it i used to do some stupid things that i wasn't even capable of doing. i think that every person that has played this game has had expeirenced that. so kudos to you :) and good luck

Titanus

Wanderer

*raises a toast* Here Here! Well spoken words...I miss that feeling too ...
[e sighs

PraWN

Wanderer

in my opinion, it's because there used to be such a huge variety of players that played on the official servers... nowadays it's all split up and the different varieties of players now play on different servers that best suit them, for example pvpers probably prefer uogamers whereas pvmers probably prefer uodemise

having said that... good post! it was a good read

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

The fun in UO is lost because its now easy.

You've gained the knowledge to do everything with ease, you can do a level 5 TMap on your own, you can do pretty much anything on your own.

Thats whats got boring about UO, nothing left to lean.

fattybear

Traveler

I too miss the old days. I just came back after not playing for a long time, and boy it sure has changed. Not just mechanically, but just the way people act. I see a lot of "say" macros when somone casts a spell saying something retarded like "ownzor" or "run bitch lol" just stupid crap like that makes me sad.

I remember one of my greatest moments when I first started in UO in Oct '97. These two couples were getting "married" at the same time. A couple days later I got PKed and was wondering into people's houses as a ghost and I came across one of the chicks who got married and a guy from the other couple. They were "cyber cheating" naked and all, and the guy was holding a viking sword in a promiscuous way.

Those were good times, but now you have to find ways to enjoy what we have now.

i remember when my friend called me saying he was getting killed by skeletons in jhelom grave so we all went there and ded heh... then we were all amazed how some guy killed the skeletons :/

XIQJX

Wanderer

Furota said:

Ultima Online was fun.

Thank you,
Lorthic

I started here on hybrid so I never even got a chance to enjoy such things. I've been griefed from the start. The first thing I did was make a crafter and mine at minoc mines. Every hour some griefer would just come by and kill all the miners... It was so gay. All thats changed now is I'm a little better and don't have a crafter anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.