UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Tamer Balance

How should taming be balanced?

• Remove bonding

Votes: 237 17.0%
  • Reduce pet speed

Votes: 138 9.9%
  • Reduce pet damage

Votes: 182 13.0%
  • Heavier bonded pet skill loss

Votes: 145 10.4%
  • Remove recall with bonded pets

Votes: 193 13.8%
  • Its fine how it is

Votes: 822 58.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thugchld

Re: Tamer Balance

Another thing for all of you that want to remove it....... Us tammers almost allways travel alone with our pet's then we see 8 reds vr one person and a mare....... Now if you want to run with your groups then I think the tammers shouuld start a guild!!!!!! TAMMERS PLEASE BE ADVISED THE IS A NEW GUILD IN TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to stop the reds come join. My AIM is sexybeastes

I think thats ok but I say every time theres a pk group in the dungeons that all tamers should jus band together and kill em. That would solve the problem.

Raz-hybrid

Wanderer

The solution is simple.

Remove bonding, remove followers. If pets were nerfed badly recently, lessen/remove it to make them effective again.

Tamers will become more powerful, but will actually lose their damn pets.

With losing pets, comes the fact that pets will actually become a hot commodity. Selling pets will be viable, the lazy people will buy them, and taming locations will in general become hot spots. This can only result in good things for the economy.

And lastly, lessen/remove the stat loss on taming a pet. Since they can be lost, it would only make sense to make them not take a week to train.

The whole uniqueness of UO is that it is easier to gain items and things than other games, but even EASIER to lose it.

This makes crafted stuff in demand since it is lost but able to be mass produced.

This means you feel better when you tame that dragon, and feel bad when you lose it because of your effort to get it.

Same for weapons, and anything else, and tamers shouldn't be the exception to the gameplay rule that makes UO so great.

IzludeX

Wanderer

Leave Tamers alone Jesus. Do you know how easy it is to solo a tamer its called para pets and if you got reflect and pouches you wont get paraed yourself. I mean omg the only thing tamers really do is hunt not pvp. Few do pvp MOST DONT. So back off

Raz-hybrid

Wanderer

Do you know how easy it is to solo a tamer its called para pets

Ever heard of magic arrow? Learn the game before you give me hell. Just because most tamers are far too stupid to know how to unpara their pets doesn't mean that you don't factor it in.

The issue is NOT how many tamers pvp. The issue is that those that DO pvp are retardedly powerful for being one person. The only reason there is no domination of the server is becuase tamers roll alone, meaning groups can match against them. A ganksquad of tamers would be RIDICULOUS.

The entire point is that tamers are too powerful for being one person while not having any drawbacks whatsoever. They farm gold better and they pvp better. Hell with that.

tamers rule **** you man... make a tamer... you can do it thats why ea gave you five character slots ya know... stfu tamers are fine the way they are.

Lucky Charms

Wanderer

Here's an idea.

I've been reading the boards while at work here's what i've come up with:

Some people argue about the fact that pets do their fire attack followed by a powerful spell. These people call for pets ai to be switched to warrior after tamed.

Some people argue that since pets are bonded theres really no inccentive to kill the pet therefore the tamer only loses the recall(somtimes more) regs he has on him plus the loot he has.

Some people suggest that pets shouldn't be used at all in pvp.

And others just argue and really don't know why except the fact they think tamers are too powerful.

So my solution. Treat the 1 man 2 pet gank squad as you would 3 players. Make pets rely on reagents just like the 3 man pk gank squad. When those 3 pks go down we lose 3 people worth of regs and our horses usually. So let the tamers keep their bonding and their recall. But let's make the risk higher than losing skill that's pretty easy to gain back. If the pets have to rely on their reagents then now the tamer also has to be a little more careful with his pets and it makes the kill to reward ratio for the pk more balanced.

I have a tamer and a pk. I don't have a problem with leaving things the way they are... but making tamers have a little something to lose would be fair nerf in my opinion.

jamesgamer

Wanderer

ok mark ideas from the mind of a tamer i personaly have a hard enuf time being a tamer. and trust me reds and blues alike have found ways of bringing down tamers and there animals. the makers of this grate game made sure there where ways to acomplish this. they gust have to be put in to practice by other players and again there are many players that have no problim poping a tamer and his wight wrime.

p.s. hope somthing good comes of this pole but come on man there is no problime with taming.

Raz said:
The solution is simple.

Remove bonding, remove followers. If pets were nerfed badly recently, lessen/remove it to make them effective again.

With losing pets, comes the fact that pets will actually become a hot commodity. Selling pets will be viable, the lazy people will buy them, and taming locations will in general become hot spots. This can only result in good things for the economy.

And lastly, lessen/remove the stat loss on taming a pet. Since they can be lost, it would only make sense to make them not take a week to train.

The whole uniqueness of UO is that it is easier to gain items and things than other games, but even EASIER to lose it.

This makes crafted stuff in demand since it is lost but able to be mass produced.

This means you feel better when you tame that dragon, and feel bad when you lose it because of your effort to get it.

Same for weapons, and anything else, and tamers shouldn't be the exception to the gameplay rule that makes UO so great.

Well said. Almost exactly what i said on the general discussion forums re ilshenar. Why does everybody not understand this.

I can't beleive my eyes when I look at this poll. Overwelming numbers of players demanded that we keep taming extremely overpowered.

It goes to show how many 13 year olds there are on this shard who don't want to lose their precious mare.

Raz said:
The solution is simple.

no one will say this any better so i just hit reply

Wai

Wanderer

You guys are lumping different issues together and just attacking on the points that appeal to your argument. There are many facets of taming: hunting, bola pk, faction tamer, tamer ganksquad. Apparently majority of you are complaining being pked by tamers. Then why don't we focus on solutions that target specifically on this issue. Removing bonding seems like a quick and easy way to nerf tamers, however that doesn't mean equality. Pets move considerably slower than a player running at full speed. A tamer with mediocre stats pets will become sitting ducks. While we are at it, why don't we get rid of vanq and supremely accurate too? Removing a function simply is not the way to go by solving a problem, and especially we aren't even sure there's a problem to begin with.

If you dislike bola tamer pks, recommend a solution that targets the bola imbalance. If you dislike tamer ganksquad, think of a way to limit their ability.

Wai said:
You guys are lumping different issues together and just attacking on the points that appeal to your argument. There are many facets of taming: hunting, bola pk, faction tamer, tamer ganksquad. Apparently majority of you are complaining being pked by tamers. Then why don't we focus on solutions that target specifically on this issue. .

Most people aren't concerned with the overpowering of taming specifically in PVP but just in general. Raz's Risk vs Reward post applies to both PVP and PVM and he clearly has a point. You have yet to respond to it.
Removing bonding seems like a quick and easy way to nerf tamers, however that doesn't mean equality.
True. But are you asserting that there's equality now? Obviously not. There are tons of tamers - everyone has a Tamer for PVM, and thats there only PVM character. And there has always been a problem with tamers in pvp - now with the pet control slot restrictions it is less damaging but infinitely less risky to pvp with pets.
Pets move considerably slower than a player running at full speed. A tamer with mediocre stats pets will become sitting ducks. While we are at it, why don't we get rid of vanq and supremely accurate too?

HAHAHAH this part is quite funny. The slow pet movement is a con to using tames yes. But its not really much of an issue. With the spellcasting and bolas and para most of the times in PVP the slow pet thing never becomes an issue for tamers. In PVM, its the slow pet movement is not an issue at all - they move as about as fast as untamed monsters.

The comparison between being able to use a vanq that allows you to do about 2x more damage than a normal wep vs being able to use a WW/drag and a mare or two mares MAKES ME LAUGH. How is that a decent analogy? magic weps even the playing field in mage vs warrior pvp, you tard.

Removing a function simply is not the way to go by solving a problem, and especially we aren't even sure there's a problem to begin with.

If you dislike bola tamer pks, recommend a solution that targets the bola imbalance. If you dislike tamer ganksquad, think of a way to limit their ability.

This thread is 40 pages long. There's obvioulsy SOME kind of problem...though maybe not one that should be fixed. Look around tho - everyone only uses their tamers for pvm. Bards are nonexistent. Warriors are rarely used. Fisherman, lockpickers etc have almost disaspeared because farming with taming is so damn easy and not risky that the low risk high time crafting/fishing alternative ways of making money/profit have become useless

Do you understand now?>

sad panda

Wanderer

Bonding really needs to go. The only thing that this poll proves is how many Trammies are browsing this forum. There were no real tamer PKs before bonding. Yes, pets run slower than people but when you have people spamming paralize on you, it doesn't really matter how fast you can run.

I have a tamer. All my friends have tamers. None of us use them to kill kids with because it is just pathetic. Killing with pets requires little to no skill at all. That is why tamers aren't allowed in tournaments.

Statloss for pets is also a joke. They lose .1 each time they are rezzed? If you have a decent mare then it probably won't die and if it does 0.1 doesn't make a world of a difference.

Ganksquad PK tamers really need to go. They are just jokes. They will just paralize you or try to trap you then sit back while their pets do the work. I have killed multiple tamers but when you are in a tiny room with 3 mares chasing you, you really don't have any chance to live. If you were to remove bonding, tamers would have something to lose if they chose to PK with their pets.

Bonding as a whole is a joke. Most of the arguments in this forum are a joke. Someone mentioned something jokingly about removing vanq weapons and what not. Stupidest thing I have ever heard. It has NOTHING to do with this subject. People need to keep on topic. I'm sure that 20 people are going to have a problem with my post. Awesome. Deal with it. Bonding is a joke, and if you PK with pets, so are you.

Wai

Wanderer

The removing vanq is a sarcastic comment aims to let you see the flaw in "removing = problem solved" belief. As you stated, a possible solution may be by weakening the ability of pets instead of removing bonding, after all your argument is attacking at the fact that pets are too strong. Every argument has both sides to it. While people are comparing losing weapons to losing pets for their pro-remove bonding argument, I can't use the same to support my argument?

Let's try to have constructive discussion rather than resorting to name calling, this is not the trammel section. As I stated in my post, I did not claim tamer is balanced right now, frankly I do not know. But I am reading through the posts and see a bunch of people fighting the wrong war. You have people *****ing about bola but then don't suggest a way to nerf bola. You have people *****ing about using pets to pk, but then not think about ways to control pking with pets. A possible way i think of right on the top of my head is put a murder counter on the pets. After a certain kill count, it loses the ability of let's say removing bonding, or whatever. Another one would be after each rez, they return back to tamed stage, so you have to rebond the pet. Let's try to tweak the system rather than changing the system.

And for boozey, when you are using a fact to prove something, make sure you get the fact right. A pet loses one whole point each time they are res-ed, not 0.1. And claiming bonding as a whole is a joke without supporting your claim is futile.

Wai

Wanderer

Lythandesi said:
Wai you obviously don't know what risk vs reward means. Making pets less strong would not help this.

My suggestion of making pets less powerful is to respond to people who are complaining pets being too strong, not toward your criticism on risk vs reward.
Now regarding risk vs reward, you can never make apples and oranges to taste the same. You gain some you lose some. While tamer has an advantage on the so called "risk vs reward", it loses on mobility. Every template has a strong trait, but it just happens tamer rubs you the wrong way. However you don't have to remove an integral part of the tamer system. I am pissed at the supremely accurate katana disrupt me casting spells, but that doesn't mean we have to get rid of disrupting spells. (Before anyone nitpicking my analogy, please interpret the general idea and don't dwell on the details)

If you believe bonding is too much, so let's try to apply some restriction on bonding. Like I said, something like losing the bond status after each res, so it requires people to re-bond the pet afterward. We have concluded that pets are not the same as a weapon, so the argument about a dexer will lose a weapon while a tamer won't lose his pet will not work.

sad panda

Wanderer

Yeah I am sorry about the 0.1 comment. That is what I heard. I did not know it was a full point but either way a full point is still not enough. They must either nerf the pets dramatically or remove bonding. Honestly, something does need to be done about pets. I feel that most people think bonding is the problem (myself included) because once you have two bonded mares, you never need to try and tame another. Selling mares was HUGE on OSI back in the day and now, no one will buy them. The fact that there are tamer PKs is really just sad. You never used to see them and now you can't go anywhere without running into them. The fact that there is an entire guild dedicated to being PK tamers should speak for itself.

Something does need to be done, maybe removing bonding, maybe nerfing pets. I do not personally know. I used to play OSI a long time ago (I quit right after they created trammel and factions). I was never used to bonding and that is probably one of the reasons that I think it should be removed. I do find it rediculous that losing a pet really means nothing right now and that should be changed. Maybe there should be a waiting period to resurrect your pets?

I am more than willing to discuss this topic as long as people don't use rediculous arguments and try to stray from the problem at hand. If someone wants to post some actual suggestions to the problem then I will be more than happy to provide my input. I feel the poll alone does not provide enough information to base a decision off of. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Side note: people mentioned bolas as an argument for keeping taming the same. Saying that kids use bolas to PK and it takes out tamers...From my PERSONAL experience, I have never seen ANYONE use a bola especially using one offensively to PK. Sometimes the Orc RPers use bolas defensively but that is about it. If you are going to knock a tamer off his mare, he is going to say all kill. Usually though, the tamer will get off his mare and say all kill before you even have time to THINK about throwing a bola. Bolas are not something to be discussed in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.