UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Shard is (no longer) back up - UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepshade

Sorceror
I have my suspicions about who it is, i remember reading on the runuo forums about ryan having a runin with someone who wasnt happy about his emulator, and if ur an avid reader over there im not referring to damian. i could only imagine this attack to have a serious motivation, surely its not just someguy(s) out to prove something. tell me the world hasnt fallin' that far yet.

Maybe this person could set up an account on one of the forums, and tell us whats on his mind, what he wants, come to somesort of agreement, this attack isnt really the way to go about a resolution to an issue.

If this attack is truely un-motivated, then, ...ugh...humans... :(

Turki

Sorceror
its not like there isnt tons of unhappy users/ex-users. i can give u the names of at least 20 ppl i think couldve done it but i haave nothin to proof it with, neither do u sire. peez

I read that UoGamers:Hybrid will be down till Friday. Maybe Demise will be also down till friday.
I think, players need some brake from uo. I think, Admins also need few days of brake. There is life beyond uo. There are tons of thing that we can do and which can give us joy. I made today thing which was still and still postponed. Tomorrow I will bake some cake and start works on my web side.If you can't life few days without uo it means addiction is to big :D
For sure, after few days everything will be good. Attackers will get bored and leave runuo shards and we again will be able to play on Demise. A little patient is good thing now :)

Omnibus

Sorceror
Gandalf_the_white said:
I read that UoGamers:Hybrid will be down till Friday.

They have been down for 2 days already. It seems there is a "nice" child out there who really does not like UO shards a lot.

KRISTJAN

Wanderer
Red Squirrel said:
What sucks is that until we find this person, we loose. They'll just keep the attack going. :mad:

Absolotly false ... sorry but wtf r you lossing ??? play other games ... play on other servers , have sex with nice girls etc.

The only person/s losing is the 'attacker' cos he is the one waisting his time trying to annoy us. Ok Demise is the best server ever but for now it is closed ... this might take a week or two or three ... and then we will play again on it.

"one day the rain must stop"

suggestion : Admins, forget about the server for this week, leave that kid having fun alone, this will help you have a break from all the hard work you've done from the begining of demise and enjoy your life.

Hey, I'm speaking to you kid...
If you got balls hack me mate and leave alone demise, but I know you're beginer and got to know servers are eazier to hack ... so after you learn PM me ... if you want I can give you private lessons for free too. Apart from this you are using bots and I don't think you really know what you are doing, controling over 5,000 bots will make you extreamly eazly trackable since I don't think you dual botting ... if you are ... than well done mate , I respect you for your knowledg and patience but still you would be eazly trackable. Beware ... from 3 to 20 years of prison just to block a server ... lol

Kevin was 'cought' ... just keep that in mind

Red Squirrel

Wanderer
phil823 said:
mmm...i do hope the demise owners report this!
Yeah but like has been said in this thread (or another, I forget) if it's less then 5K of damage authorities won't even bother. So we're kind a screwed I think... unless someone comes up with a great idea/legal loophole, or something.

a few questions

The shard remains opened or with this they are going to close it?? :eek:

When the shard is back up??
Days, weeks, months??? :confused:

That we can do as community them to be able to help?? ;)

Good anyhow they to be grateful very much the time that happens here was very pleasing
This one is a very good shard and I hope that if he returns, it returns more stronger :eek: :D

Deepshade

Sorceror
turkice said:
its not like there isnt tons of unhappy users/ex-users. i can give u the names of at least 20 ppl i think couldve done it but i haave nothin to proof it with, neither do u sire. peez

yes but why target shards that had nothing to do with the unhappiness that they may have towards demise. i believe its being targeted at the higher ups of the RunUO project. not in response to something petty like player disagrrement.
and suspicions are such becuz no proof is available.

BLUETIGER

Wanderer
Red Squirrel said:
Yeah I think the only way is a hardware firewall (a powerful one, like a Sonicwall). I wonder if the data center has that option, and if it's affordable. I'd guess not though... only if fiber was not so expensive demise could be run in someone's basement with an unlimited amount of security resources.

Something like this:

[INTERNET] -> [SONICWALL] -> [OPTIONAL OTHER FIREWALL] -> [SERVER]

A higher end Sonicwall could most likely handle these attacks (validation + block) of these packets no problem. I know the higher end models have a xeon processor and quit a lot of ram, it's almost as powerful as the server itself.

Red Squirrel might be on to something there, I wonder with the know how and programming if it would be possible to have like say 30 peoples machines on at one time all sharing the workload in unity as a server so if one or two machines got hit the others could pick up the slack till the others came back on, depending one how many had the nessary fragments of the shard, the more ppl that signed on the more they would add to the whole and the less work load on any one machine would have to handle, though I'm not sure how that would do for bandwidth distribution.

MOD_BLUETIGER said:
Red Squirrel might be on to something there, I wonder with the know how and programming if it would be possible to have like say 30 peoples machines on at one time all sharing the workload in unity as a server so if one or two machines got hit the others could pick up the slack till the others came back on, depending one how many had the nessary fragments of the shard, the more ppl that signed on the more they would add to the whole and the less work load on any one machine would have to handle, though I'm not sure how that would do for bandwidth distribution.

Sounds like the old SETI screensaver thing where they spread out the processing time among all those with the screensaver active ...

security

Whats the best security software for a home user with dsl???

I want to make sure my computer is secure.
Right now out of now where my security program is having fatal errors in the firewall section.
I reset and nothing.

I use panda ? anyone know if thats any good?

if not whats a good security program to use?

thoregundi said:
Whats the best security software for a home user with dsl???

I want to make sure my computer is secure.
Right now out of now where my security program is having fatal errors in the firewall section.
I reset and nothing.

I use panda ? anyone know if thats any good?

if not whats a good security program to use?
ZoneAlarmPro

Red Squirrel

Wanderer
Easiest way is to just get a hardware firewall, a cheap router will do the trick, since your external IP will point to the router so if the router is properly configured, not much can be done to it, your machine will be behind it and even if it's ports are open, they can only be accessed from your network, unless you forward them to a machine.

Locally though, ensure you don't open anything like viruses, but even then they'll act as a server and nobody will be able to connect to it anyway. (ex: trojans, etc)

But a sofware firewall like ZA should do the trick as well, but in my opinion a router is better, and leaves room for future expansion, and that's a nice word for network people. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.