UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Shard is (no longer) back up - UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
months?

hmm months? Time to join a baseball team, or take up clay modeling, or enroll into college..... wait... that would be productive wouldn't it?

Ferris

Page
How do you propse that changing ports ips or dns would help anything? We would have to make it public to allow you to connect, thus allowing the person who is doing this to know where to direct it.

KRISTJAN

Wanderer
Ferris said:
How do you propse that changing ports ips or dns would help anything? We would have to make it public to allow you to connect, thus allowing the person who is doing this to know where to direct it.

Sure you are right. {I'm so damed tired :D }

And what if you email us the new ports ? making a sort of registration

Is there a way to limit te IPs that can connect to a port ?

mrpink

Sorceror
Lord Apollo said:
And of course even if we did have laws against it. . .like Asayre was saying. .. if the person lives in another country where internet laws are not enforced, then we have to just get over it. But hey why don't we all unite and become a better community just to show this guy that he only makes us stronger! Quickly everyone Middle Fingers in the air! I'm doing it who's with me?

Amen brother.

comwiz72

Wanderer
MOD_BLUETIGER said:
I say has anyone thought of gathering up all the IP addresses that ddos attack us and scripting a few ddos's of our own to hit the ones that attack us, with them being down they can't send ddos to ours

ummm....

i know many ppl r saying this in jest, but its not a good idea to just announce things like that on a public forum... after all, its illegal.
also, just cos he did it to us doesnt mean we should do it to him, even if there are certainly ppl on demise with the knowledge required to do it.

however, that said, many (true) hackers believe that one of the best / most honourable reasons to hack somebody is revenge for them hacking you...

but, don't forget the guy will be using zombie machines to do the ddos, and some or most of these machines will be unwitting users with poor security, and they wont be happy if u DDoS them... they obviously dont know theyre being used... :(

Vin-demise

Wanderer
Don_Blast said:
Sure you are right. {I'm so damed tired :D }

And what if you email us the new ports ? making a sort of registration

Is there a way to limit te IPs that can connect to a port ?

What if the attacker is an active player in demise too and just used another computer for the attacks? Then the IPs would still reach him or her

Rainier

Wanderer
Thank you Red Squirrel! At least one person listens! It wouldnt be possible if everyone in the whole world kept their computers up to date and more secure. Too bad it will never happen but if everyone helps their friends/family do it your at least trying!

DDoSing got big with the advent of broadband.

Please dont disagree with people that are on the right track encouraging others to be more secure! Nobody is using a 'ring' of dialup connections. Funny to think about though LOL :)

Ferris

Page
We don't have thier IP, if we did, well they wouldn't be doing it anymore now would they? Not to mention what you suggest is really quite illegal no matter what the reason. So I pose this question to you, do you want us offline for a few days, or physically removed from the internet for illegal activities?

BLUETIGER

Wanderer
comwiz72 said:
lol, doesnt sound bad for them at all, and CERTAINLY not ilegal :rolleyes:

well unless you know of a better way to inform them they're computers are F**K'd up, like calling them up and telling them or something than name me a better way :rolleyes:

Ferris

Page
Not really, it is agrivating of course, but I'm not pissed off. It's not as if the shard is playing itself, everything will be as it was when I last was online.

I don;t quite understand this statement, perhaps you can clarify for me:

MOD_BLUETIGER said:
well its illegal anyway ya look at it

You propose we have the zombie computers nuke themselves. That's malicious and illegal. Also we do not know those IPs either, if we did, they would have been shut down allready.

Trust me, if there were a better way to handle this then what is currently happening, it would be in effect.

BLUETIGER

Wanderer
Ferris said:
Not really, it is agrivating of course, but I'm not pissed off. It's not as if the shard is playing itself, everything will be as it was when I last was online.

I don;t quite understand this statement, perhaps you can clarify for me:

You propose we have the zombie computers nuke themselves. That's malicious and illegal. Also we do not know those IPs either, if we did, they would have been shut down allready.

Trust me, if there were a better way to handle this then what is currently happening, it would be in effect.

what I ment by the statement is the person doing it is llegal, anyhow what about having the shard set to website registration, so everyone has to resgister they're IP to you, and everything else is banned, that way the number of attacks will be narrowed to a few IP address, if ya find one that has way to much activaty going on then normal or keeps repeatingly connecting and dissconnecting you could block or ban it

Kalana

Wanderer
You guys know best!!

Basically i Love this shard and all that it comes with and if that means i have to deal with this so be it, Ill wait as long as it takes cause I trust that you guys know what you are doing and are doing all that you can to fix it.....When ever it gets back up Ill be here waiting!!

comwiz72

Wanderer
MOD_BLUETIGER said:
what I ment by the statement is the person doing it is llegal, anyhow what about having the shard set to website registration, so everyone has to resgister they're IP to you, and everything else is banned, that way the number of attacks will be narrowed to a few IP address, if ya find one that has way to much activaty going on then normal or keeps repeatingly connecting and dissconnecting you could block or ban it

u cant do that, cos some guys (me included) use isps which use NAT - or network address translation, which means that their IP address is shared from a pool of IP addresses.
This means that my IP changes every so often, and probably halp the guys who use the shard also have this problem, so allowing only preset IPs would then block these people when their address cycles.

There really isn't much of a way to block this attack, I'm afraid.

livingman

Wanderer
TO GM's...

Have you ever heard the SOS(Secure Overlay Services)? Please read some article on internet.

My English not enough good for explain to you...but i pasted an abstract below about SOS.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are currently major threats to communication in the Internet. A secure overlay services (SOS) architecture has been proposed to provide reliable communication between clients and a target under DDoS attacks. The SOS architecture employs a set of overlay nodes arranged in three hierarchical layers that controls access to the target. Although the architecture is novel and works well under simple congestion based attacks, we observe that it is vulnerable under more intelligent attacks. We generalize the SOS architecture by introducing more flexibility in layering to the original architecture. We define two intelligent DDoS attack models and develop an analytical approach to study the impacts of the number of layers, number of neighbors per node and the node distribution per layer on the system performance under these two attack models. Our data clearly demonstrate that performance is indeed sensitive to the design features and the different design features interact with each other to impact overall system performance.

please dont leave us alone !!! :(

I LOVE THIS SHARD !!!

Ready shields! man the torpedoes, Brace for impact!

Perhaps I'm unsure of the extent which the assailants have accessed the server that they are attacking, however is this Ddos attack similar to a Unix/linux smurf attack? if this is the case it doesn't seem realistic that simply banning all external users would do the trick since in multi-packet pings don't require a loging but simply a small request by hundreds of machines. And if the form of attack isn't just a simple request for a ping reply, then just setting up an e-mail verification of accounts signing on may be enough even without needing a specific IP to log for the account as long as the server created a log of all current ip's logged to users on (Verified by password) up to and including the start of such an attack. This way you could ban those accounts via the logfile. besides, it's quite realistic to believe if this is an attack, that the person(s) who have started attacking invariably have logged into demise at one point or another to keep updated on the effects of their attacks. Just throwing out ideas and options based on what has been discussed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.