UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

RunUO World Community Grid

Elendili!

Knight
Re: RunUO World Community Grid

doenst it feel fulfilling that you subscribed to this so some person who didnt even bother signing up gets some pixel crack

Addicted

Disciple

I've had mine running since I installed it, I have about 12 hours and like 700 points. But the page for the RunUO team still says we have zero points and no time. I wonder how long it takes to update.

Elendili!

Knight

ive got 14 hours on mine

but i still think masks should be deleted since the people that dindt sign up are the ones that got them

Chivalry

Wanderer

I agree they should delete em and either hand them out to those that took the time to actually d/l and sign up, or not give anything at all. It was a good thing to sign up for it and it would have been good to not get anything but the fact that stuff was given out to those that did nothing for it is bs tbh.

Addicted

Disciple

Chivalry said:
I agree they should delete em and either hand them out to those that took the time to actually d/l and sign up, or not give anything at all. It was a good thing to sign up for it and it would have been good to not get anything but the fact that stuff was given out to those that did nothing for it is bs tbh.

LOL

Did you guys just sign up because they said there would be a handout?

You're doing something good, you shouldn't have to be rewarded for it.

Who cares if other people got some pixel crack too?

selo

Wanderer

Addicted said:
I've had mine running since I installed it, I have about 12 hours and like 700 points. But the page for the RunUO team still says we have zero points and no time. I wonder how long it takes to update.

Statistics are unavailable until within 24 hours after returning your first result to the server

Sorry for double post.

Elendili!

Knight

Addicted said:
LOL

Did you guys just sign up because they said there would be a handout?

You're doing something good, you shouldn't have to be rewarded for it.

Who cares if other people got some pixel crack too?

its the fact that some guy who doenst give a shit for anybody else but himself is benefiting from our good intentions

Skywing

Sorceror

This kind of software, IMO, is not as efficient as you might like to believe. It has potential, but there are downsides. Quote from other forums about this:

I've participated in a lot of these distributed computing efforts, starting with SETI, then F@H, and I tried "United Devices" which is some other protein folding project.

In fact, I made sure all my computers had one of those running on it, since I didn't want those cycles to go to waste. That was, until, I got my laptop.

Laptops, as I'm sure you know, are great at power moderation. They'll speed up and cool the CPU in direct response to processes and instructions being run through them. When I first got my laptop, I loaded up F@H right after I installed windows. But when I tried to go to class, I found my fan would run full speed, my lap would heat up, and I'd get 2 hours of battery max.

Ok fine, turn off F@H when battery is being used. But when I was plugged into the wall, my computer sounded like a jet plane. Maybe that's because it's a cheap Dell, but the point is, my CPU was being used to it's MAX at all times, to the point where the area around me would be noticeably warmer (at least in the summer).

What this is all boiling down to for me is the immediate environmental impact. When I'm not using all the resources on my computer, cycles are NOT going to waste, because I'm saving energy. Another issue (a minor one, but noteable) is possibly shortening the life of your CPU, CPU fan, or other hardware. They may not seem like big issues, but that's the point of distributed computing: together we have an impact.

I also find that when I'm running F@H, I WANT to leave my computer running, if not for humanity then for the SAGoon team score. But that's not the right mentality. I'm not sure how desktop computers work, i.e. if modern ones have advanced power usage. I understand using spare cycles if you have servers or other machines running that would otherwise be using the same amount of power without F@H running. But processes require signal, and signals require current flow. It adds up.

Distributed computing for researching protein folding may or may not be successful. Right now I see it more as an experiment into whether researchers can used distributed networks to do their research. What we do know is that electricity usage and power production ARE immediate concerns, and the mentality that we should turn off our machines when we're not using them is something that can have an immediate and proven effect TODAY. Smog levels from the combustion of fossil fuels are just as much a concern as genetic disorders. Both cause sickness, and the former can cause the latter.

I hope you can understand my reasoning, and if you do, perhaps you could post the gist of this point in the "reasons not to fold" list.

Once again, I apologize for the long message, but thank you for taking the time to hear me,
-Wab

Elphen

Sorceror

This seems to keep crashing my uo client and also lock up my computer randomly when I am afk from it...
This is a really clever idea but I think my pc is too old to run it. i know it's suppose to be ran when you are idle but it's constantly on in my background so I can't figure out how to disable it.