UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Remove

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakeddaily1

Sorceror
Tank makes would be viable with instahit and maybe we would have less ally stun temps running around.I wouldn't mind cause dexxer is too boring non skilled template and it would help in group pvp.

Vizeroth

Sorceror
Then play Devil's Advocate, let's hear your "genius" on the other side of the subject.
Fine.

GHeals are an issue in 1v1 because they turn fights into a long and frustrating battle of attrition. While having access to manaless gheals is a (minor) factor here, the key problems are that these wands grant the ability to heal through stuns and heal on the run; neither is solved by introducing a mana cost, and the latter is only partially mitigated by immobilizing wand users. Immobilization would also take away from what I'd argue should be the primary function of gheal wands, which is to increase the odds of surviving a gank.

A better solution is to have gheal charges act as a first-circle heal unless the user has either been damaged by at least two other players within the past five seconds or is not engaged in PVP combat. While their new function would be less intuitive, it would fully preserve the gheal wand's utility to soloists and PVEers while not ruining 1v1 fights.

As for lightning wands, I'll preface by saying that I'm not necessarily suggesting that there's an issue here, but rather why the proposed solutions fall short.

Introducing a mana cost to lightning wands:
This would indeed prevent the nearly unending stream of mobile damage that many effect by spamming lightning wand charges, explosion potions, and other small spells. However, it would only partially diminish the efficacy of group lightning wand dumps: they would cost about 35% more mana to execute, but they'd be just as difficult to track, just as mobile, and just as lethal. This would also do little to prevent lightning wands from being deadly on the run.

Freezing lightning wand users in place:
This would make the unending damage stream less effective due to being easier to evade, but it would still be extremely difficult to stay on screen with a mage who employs this tactic. Immobilizing the user would make group lightning wand dumps a bit more predictable and easier to off-screen, but I again suspect that it wouldn't do much to their overall effectiveness given that the dump executes fairly quickly and it'd still be hard to track. Immobilization would, of course, prevent these wands from being useful on the run.

A potential solution to address all of these issues is to combine the idea of a slightly randomized activation timer and an increased cooldown period. The increased cooldown would lessen the power of both spell spam and running people down. The varied activation time would weaken wand dumps by making them easier to heal. And, of course, any permutation of randomized timers, cooldowns, and mana costs could be implemented to achieve balance (whatever that might be).

Finally, I am sympathetic to those who wish to remove wands because they add another layer of complexity to an already challenging game. However, even if we do decide to simplify PVP for the sake of the majority, I would still argue that gheal wands should remain with the implementation suggested above, as they would have a fairly low impact on those who can't afford wands or aren't good at using them.

primary function of gheal wands, which is to increase the odds of surviving a gank.

A better solution is to have gheal charges act as a first-circle heal unless the user has either been damaged by at least two other players within the past five seconds or is not engaged in PVP combat. While their new function would be less intuitive, it would fully preserve the gheal wand's utility to soloists and PVEers while not ruining 1v1 fights.

Freezing lightning wand users in place:
This would make the unending damage stream less effective due to being easier to evade, but it would still be extremely difficult to stay on screen with a mage who employs this tactic. Immobilizing the user would make group lightning wand dumps a bit more predictable and easier to off-screen, but I again suspect that it wouldn't do much to their overall effectiveness given that the dump executes fairly quickly and it'd still be hard to track. Immobilization would, of course, prevent these wands from being useful on the run.

Finally, I am sympathetic to those who wish to remove wands because they add another layer of complexity to an already challenging game.
What is quoted is what I will refer to.

1) You have yet to give me reasons why somebody should be able to easily live ganks ONLY because they have access to gheal wands. If you're so interested in running away or not dying, why not build a template which supports that mindset? Instead, I imagine, it's your ego that makes you want to feel invincible on the field as you waste away 20+ gheal charges every time you exit your house, instead of just accepting death on this murderous game.

2) that would be so whacky to even begin to code, and the amount of bugs that would be found would make that nearly impossible to patch into the game.

3) Immobilizing users of wands is probably the only nerf besides removal of wands that I'd be for. If you/your group are skilled enough to position/utilize them well, they are still effective. However, if you're a pleb that just spams lightning wand on cool down, you're going to let your opponents get away or make it painstakingly obvious who you are dumping on. Both of these situations nerf the mind numbingly boring/stale type of meta that's present. If the only reason you're against this is because it's too harsh for wand users, then maybe you should finally admit you just want to lean on your crutches harder.

4) Using a gheal wand hotkey doesn't add depth or complexity, it adds clunky mechanics that new players will find extremely tedious having to constantly restock gheal wands just to compete against people who have played this server/game for years. This game is already skill based enough, but you want to force new players to use 10k/charge gheal wands just to enter a level playing field? It's legitimately a fucking hotkey that is required to use a wand successfully, and you think that adds to complexity? No wonder you play a dexxer, man.

Vizeroth

Sorceror
1) You have yet to give me reasons why somebody should be able to easily live ganks ONLY because they have access to gheal wands.
You're only weakening your argument with these exaggerations. However easier it is to survive a gank with a wand, it is indisputably easier to be the ones ganking than to be the ones getting ganked. I see nothing wrong with having an item that lessens this disparity a bit; it's not exactly fun to get ganked, after all. The existence of gheal wands also creates PVP in situations where none would exist by empowering soloists.
2) that would be so whacky to even begin to code, and the amount of bugs that would be found would make that nearly impossible to patch into the game.
Are you really in a position to make such judgments? If not, why are you commenting so confidently on the matter?
4) Using a gheal wand hotkey doesn't add depth or complexity, it adds clunky mechanics that new players will find extremely tedious having to constantly restock gheal wands just to compete against people who have played this server/game for years. This game is already skill based enough, but you want to force new players to use 10k/charge gheal wands just to enter a level playing field?
Gheal wands are only required to compete under their current implementation. To say that players would be forced to stock gheal wands under my implementation is a bit like claiming that the existence of silver weapons forces players to hunt with silver, even though there is no direct competition between those who use silver weaponry and those who don't. Gheal users would have no advantage against those without, meaning there is no need to level the playing field for 1v1s, and an arguably low advantage during group fights. Your "10k per charge" comment is fallacious, as limiting the wand's range of use would lower its price.

However easier it is to survive a gank with a wand, it is indisputably easier to be the ones ganking than to be the ones getting ganked.

The existence of gheal wands also creates PVP in situations where none would exist by empowering soloists.

Are you really in a position to make such judgments?
1) Really? In a world without wands, you'd land a stun and can sync accordingly. However today, you could land a stun and still not land a kill since they can just cast a gheal with a wand. As the one being ganked, you can actually LOS really well with all the houses placed around and force players to be out of position to even get a sync off, so it's almost just as easy to run from a gank when both sides have wands then it is to actually land a kill as a gank, especially so if theres a disparity between skill levels (the gankers suck). I'm surprised you don't understand this as the worlds #1 wander/runner.

2) Where are you getting this from? Pre 2008, there were PLENTY of fights both small and large scale in which wands were used very inconsistently. In fact, I can really only think of a few small groups who had abused wands back then, and that was before wands were heavily macro'd and scripted so there usefulness wasn't even as big as it is today. To say pvp only happens because of wands really shows how narrow minded your argument is.

3) Absolutely.

I'd be perfectly fine with allowing wands to remain in the game if it caused the character to either A) require a skill to receive it's effectiveness (not inscribe, magery, eval, or other commonly used skills) or B) Cause wand users to remain stationary. Would not affect pvm, would add smart use and field awareness to actually use wands, and would better line solo play vs group play. The benefits of the wands would remain, such as not costing mana and not displaying spell name, but you wouldn't be able to just spam wands for days and machine gun chasing people.

BASEGOD

Wanderer
I'd be perfectly fine with allowing wands to remain in the game if it caused the character to either A) require a skill to receive it's effectiveness (not inscribe, magery, eval, or other commonly used skills) or B) Cause wand users to remain stationary. Would not affect pvm, would add smart use and field awareness to actually use wands, and would better line solo play vs group play. The benefits of the wands would remain, such as not costing mana and not displaying spell name, but you wouldn't be able to just spam wands for days and machine gun chasing people.

Personally I just wands to take mana. There would be no reason to use a charge unless you want to be able to chase n cast. But having them take mana will end the pointless spamming of them. I think being able to move while using wands add the skill ceiling.. my 2 cents

amtothepm

Knight
n in the game if it caused the character to either A) require a skill to receive it's effectiveness (not inscribe,

kid you don't play log off forever wasteman

this kid got potato chips all over his black t shirt trolling forums of a game he doens't play..

like whats a matter with you irl wasteman

Retard newbies don't remember that we tried adding mana cost to wands, we also tried making it where you freeze in place like casting a spell... Both had so many complaints that it was unreal, then it was changed back.... Wands are already nerfed, they are not instant cast anymore....

FIX LIGHTNING WANDS ONLY THAT IS THE ISSUE. RANDOM DELAY TIMER WILL FIX SCRIPTS, STOP OVERTHINKING

If nothing else it would be nice if they increased the delay to use wands to the point where you are not able to weaken/lightning wand in the time explo damage hits.

lol. The rest of your inanity aside, I love that you thought this was a sufficient response when your qualifications were questioned. Welcome to the ignore list. It's been a long time coming.
It's interesting every time I ask you to explain your thoughts deeper, you redirect the questions.

You're not the smartest guy on the forums, in fact many people here only tolerate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.