UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Recent Bannings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronus

and his amazing friends
Recent Bannings

Here is some staff -> player communication for those who are interested in such things.

Several months ago Demise staff were made aware of an exploit in the custom housing code which would allow players to farm gold. This exploit was very serious, allowing a player to make millions upon millions of gold per hour with very little effort. So we did what staff always do in this kind of situation, we watched and waited.

Well, my friends, the waiting is over; and a few players are no longer with us. Sadly, some of them are names that many of us had come to accept as upstanding members of the community.

At the same time as these bannings were going down, a few other players were also met with a banstick for either using PlayUO or modded Razor.

Merry Christmas!

Oaks

Knight
Re: Recent Bannings

Hehe, merry christmas indeed. I assume the exploit has been fixed now then?

Is it possible to name any names of the people who were banned?
I think i can name a few, and unfortunately i fear for some who may have been involved accidently.

RockEye

Knight

YAY!! :D Merry Christmas!

I am glad that cheaters have been punished. Congrats to the staff who does a marvelous job of cleaning this shard.

I can hardly believe that ppl are still using playuo and modded razor. Wasn't it that you couldn't even log using playuo??

But i appeal to the staff, i agree with Esk to some point, there may be some innocent ppl banned too, so keep the open mind plz.

Oh btw if darts would be fixed then then it would really be a Merry Christmas and a verry happy new year :D. Plz, plz fix em.. *begs irl*

Serenity

Wanderer

Eskeshehir;333021 said:
Is it possible to name any names of the people who were banned?
I think i can name a few, and unfortunately i fear for some who may have been involved accidently.

We dont release the details of those people who are banned.
Rest assured that they could not have 'accidently' commited these acts.

luigi-hybrid

Wanderer

How can you be sure that someone is using the gold cheat or w.e you wanna call it. Did you guys go to their house and caught them in the act? or did you just assume that because they have loads of cash they must be cheating?

Thank you,

Dj

pkrlz

Knight

I dunno if u remember luigi, but time ago there were some players buying everything in GOLD.
I remember a guy that bought ORNY in one day, and at the other day he was buying Totem+some Gtots.

Do u think that if he had the gold in the past, he wouldnt have bought the GTots?

I think staff know if they were or not cheating.

luigi-hybrid

Wanderer

pkrlz;333064 said:
I dunno if u remember luigi, but time ago there were some players buying everything in GOLD.
I remember a guy that bought ORNY in one day, and at the other day he was buying Totem+some Gtots.

Do u think that if he had the gold in the past, he wouldnt have bought the GTots?

I think staff know if they were or not cheating.

Well, say for example i know of someone who offered me 60 million in gold, for an orny. I sell the orny, and then what? I'm now guilty of cheating because i have a retarded amount of gold. Well I'm just wondering all this, ill leave the staff to do their job.

luigi-demise;333067 said:
Well, say for example i know of someone who offered me 60 million in gold, for an orny. I sell the orny, and then what? I'm now guilty of cheating because i have a retarded amount of gold. Well I'm just wondering all this, ill leave the staff to do their job.
I'm pretty sure they won't ban people for having lots of gold, they will only ban those that were caught in the act of exploiting the bug.

Caine

UO Gamers: Demise Admin

luigi-demise;333063 said:
How can you be sure that someone is using the gold cheat or w.e you wanna call it. Did you guys go to their house and caught them in the act? or did you just assume that because they have loads of cash they must be cheating?

Thank you,

Dj

We used HooDoo majic to tells us the answers maan....

But really, we did our homework. As the man said, we have known about the exploit for a while and have taken the actions we have based on FACTS, not suspicion.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

I'm just here to repeat what Caine has already said. No one was banned because they had too much gold. We understand the exploit has been in game for a while and understand that the gold made has been trickling through the shard through good-will donations to new players as well as buying items for gold alone.

There is not a doubt in my mind the individuals banned for the gold exploit used it. Unfortunately, as Cronus said, its a shame a few people on the list of bans were involved in the exploit.

This is just a reminder that no matter what you are using it for, others or yourself, or how you justify it in your head - using an exploit is not a good idea. ALWAYS report it.

LC

Khephren

Knight

oh well too bad i didnt know that....

i seem to always miss those..... im broke i couldve used an extra hahaha........

oh well, i guess thats the reason im still around, even never used playUO, heard what it was in brief descriptions but never tried it... maybe id had a chance of beating all those cheaters (like i call em)

Doza n Tanto;333033 said:
I almost got banned for being the sexiest person on shard, if by "almost," you mean "simply flat-out didn't."
Fixed. :p

luigi-demise;333063 said:
Although I don't even know exactly what the exploit was, I think I have a FAIR idea of how they decided who to punish...

From what I'd judge, (it's actually something I've not actually tested with in RunUO yet) the staff *can* tell when people modify their houses. As I recall, house designs, until saved or committed/built, are *not* stored on the server, and are only client-side, so at the very least, committing a design would show as a large bandwidth spike. (I might be wrong, though)

At any rate, the staff would be able to check who was modifying their houses a lot, and also keep tabs on their bank balance... It'd then be pretty easy to tell who was exploiting it, by simply noting who was repeatedly modifying their own house(s) with a rapidly spiraling bank balance, with no other activity. This would leave out those that got their money in a legitimate manner.

Likewise, I'd bet that for those that might've accidentally STUMBLED upon the exploit, but didn't intentionally use it, would be easily noted by the fact that they only modified their house and gained from it perhaps once or twice. And I'd predict that the staff likely didn't do anything against those people, since it could be safely assumed that they were innocent of intentional wrongdoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.