UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Racism On UOGamers

Anticoh

Wanderer
Racism On UOGamers

I really don't understand how free people kick out racist comments on Vent and in game.

The server has the following rule:

Harrasment:
-Racism will not be tolerated.

But from what I see, this rule can't be enforced all that well because people do it like there is no consequence.

Also, is reporting worth it? Will something be done?

I wouldn't mind having a list of racist comments that if spoken it auto puts you in Jail for a few days. This becomes your warning. Next time your placed in Jail you get a week. After that. Bye Bye.

Also trying to bypass such filter by type'n "P*u*r*p*l*e People Suck!" will get you an one week right off that bad, because now your making an effort to be racist.

(Sorry to anyone that is purple! Last I checked you don't exist!")

So I guess my question is, does anyone know why so many people are racist here? does it have to be directed AT someone? Because I've seen more spamming on the N-Bomb in the last few days then I have all year on any other game.

catts

Sorceror
Re: Racism On UOGamers

I don't like racism but I believe the second we start censoring everything is the moment this server starts to become OSI and starting trammying up the place.

catts;1532816 said:
I don't like racism but I believe the second we start censoring everything is the moment this server starts to become OSI and starting trammying up the place.

yes because anyone who doesn't say nigger is a trammy :confused:

there is a filter built in to the client if u dont like it what ur reading turn it on and bam u wont see it

raito

Wanderer

FLICK-hybrid;1532871 said:
there is a filter built in to the client if u dont like it what ur reading turn it on and bam u wont see it

That's a very interesting philosophical question, isn't it? Is one bothered by what he's reading or by knowing that people are writing it? I'm guessing the latter, and in that case the client side filter doesn't help.

This isn't osi, people can feel free to do whatever scamming and racism isn't illegal, like stated above there is a filter, if you're offended by such things maybe online games may not be for you. There is also an ignore option, if you see someone using the words just simply put them on ignore and you don't have to deal with it.

Mara

Knight

I dont really know what to think about this stuff anymore. I see so many black people throwing the word nigger around on tv in purposefully racist comedy routines. All the while a packed audience is laughing it up. If it's a joke to them, then the rest of the world population isn't going to take their woes seriously.

Take some screenshots next time, and see if they will enforce their policy. I'm curious to see if they will. Update the post with the results.

Mara

Knight

Expecting the staff to police it though, without providing them direct proof just isn't realistic. They have enough things to do already.

raito

Wanderer

Snapshots can be forged. It's especially easy when you're just adding letters over someone's head.

Mara;1532924 said:
Expecting the staff to police it though, without providing them direct proof just isn't realistic. They have enough things to do already.

Even with proof it wouldn't matter, they aren't here to babysit childish things, if someone can't handle being called a name they don't need to be on the internet.

Mara

Knight

I hear you, but this stuff isn't exactly childish behaviour. I don't see too many five year olds doing this sort of thing. It's purposefully going out of your way to try to aggravate someone else. Throughout history, very intelligent and mature people would call out a duel to the death for similar insults. Just because it's the internet doesn't make it ok. For me anyway, the internet is merely another form of communication.

You're gonna be called stuff over the internet, there is no way to get around it you have to ignore it, no point in trying to get something done about it because it's just something that will happen, if the players were punished for such things no one would play here because 90 percent do it. If it happens irl then you can do something about it, but considering it is on the internet ignore it.

Anticoh

Wanderer

Heavy Smoker,

I really haven't seen someone so off base in sometime.

I have a little term for kids (and adults alike) that start to spam racist remarks or other smack behind a keyboard.

It's called "E-Thug"

Trust me, if you want I can go toe to toe with the best of them. I've gone toe to toe with your mom but she kicked me out of bed saying you were MUCH Better.

Words. Them Words. Michael Richards said it, and at the time he didn't know the effect of "Them Words". He does now.

Do you think as a society or online society that spilling out racist remarks has a single benefit?

Many E-Thugs do what they do because they are behind a keyboard. They feel "Safe".

It's really sad to see that you support such actions. If you really feel that this isn't an issue then I'm somewhat sure what side of the fence you are on.

Moving on however, this isn't about if I'm big enough to handle someone spewing text over the internet. Bottom line I don't start to tear up when I see it, nor does it really effect me.

What is SHOWS is HUGE D I S R E S P E C T towards the servers, its admins and fellow players.

Let me make this clear. "Disrespect". A word used to show that you really don't give a rats ass about the rules. Sorry Son, we have rules for a reason.

Really my question wasn't if it was right or wrong, more so to spark the question why do so many people feel that this rule doesn't apply to them.

Mara

Knight

It's a part of the current youth culture. Teleconferencing sessions arent like this. Email to other people isn't like this, partly because ISPs will shut down people who do it. If this is what people do when they can stay anonymous, it doesn't speak well for the species. But humans aren't known to be all that nice anyway.

Id be happy to play with the remaining 10% though. This is/was a Roleplaying Game at one point, not an electronic asshole cockfest.

Mara

Knight

I like Heavy Smoker by the way. Think he's just pointing out the reality of the situation.

wkstrm

Lord

Mara;1532949 said:
I like Heavy Smoker by the way. Think he's just pointing out the reality of the situation.

qft

I doubt he really suports the use of those words or the behaviour.
I'd say Heavy Smoker is one of the more respected members in this community.

Anticoh;1532947 said:
Heavy Smoker,

I really haven't seen someone so off base in sometime.

I have a little term for kids (and adults alike) that start to spam racist remarks or other smack behind a keyboard.

It's called "E-Thug"

Trust me, if you want I can go toe to toe with the best of them. I've gone toe to toe with your mom but she kicked me out of bed saying you were MUCH Better.

Words. Them Words. Michael Richards said it, and at the time he didn't know the effect of "Them Words". He does now.

Do you think as a society or online society that spilling out racist remarks has a single benefit?

Many E-Thugs do what they do because they are behind a keyboard. They feel "Safe".

It's really sad to see that you support such actions. If you really feel that this isn't an issue then I'm somewhat sure what side of the fence you are on.

Moving on however, this isn't about if I'm big enough to handle someone spewing text over the internet. Bottom line I don't start to tear up when I see it, nor does it really effect me.

What is SHOWS is HUGE D I S R E S P E C T towards the servers, its admins and fellow players.

Let me make this clear. "Disrespect". A word used to show that you really don't give a rats ass about the rules. Sorry Son, we have rules for a reason.

Really my question wasn't if it was right or wrong, more so to spark the question why do so many people feel that this rule doesn't apply to them.

It doesn't show disrespect to the server at all, if that was the case they would have inforced this rule, they understand people are going to use these words, nothing you can do besides ignore it, imo it's not a big deal, but I guess people have different opinions on it, myself I ignore it and go on with my game play.

euphorbia;1532952 said:
qft

I doubt he really suports the use of those words or the behaviour.
I'd say Heavy Smoker is one of the more respected members in this community.

Thanks, you're right I don't support it, but it doesn't bother me because i'm not offended and I just ignore it again, but not everyone is going to agree on the same things. :)