UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Question to all who claim to be a "Role Player"

sunfiregt

Wanderer
Question to all who claim to be a "Role Player"

It has been a reoccurring theme around give role playing guilds that unless you want to PvP you are an inadequate role player. I remember a time when i could create a character with no PvP skills and role play just fine with given groups. Even to create a slave character to role play with Undeads. Now unless you want to help them fight l33t tamers and peekays they don't care. Basically Role playing is just another stance on PvP except it has become PvPPPPPP under the RP guild name. My question to all who say they are role players: Do you role play because you want to have fun with different character type, or do you just get in the guild to PvP.

Interesting question.

I roleplay to restrict myself in the game... to place the focuses on teamwork and realism and not on loot/items/pts. I chose macing because its seen as the worse of the 3, we will not loot our kills, we work in small groups where crosshealing is built into every template, we will not ever put eval on a temp, we wont chug, and we sure as hell will never para (to name a few).

Each one of these reasons (or most) are supported by the RP character we try to be.

But... cant you have a PvP RP guild? What if your idea of RP is PvPing against other RPers?

One more note... to orcs. How the fuck can you call yourself RPers? Yes, 1/2 of your members grunt sometimes, and you sit in the orc fort, but your players choose to use *farts* macros with spells and para gank to get kills. Hmmm... ok. One might say "HEY OMGOSH! ORCS COULD FART IRL?!" Hmm... them sitting inside of the orc fort must imply they try to be like the in game orcs... which I will then state that they are nothing close.

You dont rp. You abuse the phrase to receive unnecessary priviledges. Its sad... I think UO should die irl.

sunfiregt

Wanderer
Thanks evil.

Yea i do believe a lot of what you said there except about the orcs. Although most of them do roleplay well there are those that just ruin it for the rest of roleplayers. I dont think that Orcs realize that people dont want to be RPers because they dont want to be known as little ganking pussies. Im glad that you chosse to be the latter of PvP skills evil... Now if other RPers would just get off their high horses and just Roleplay.

KharneKGB

Wanderer
evil: coming from the guy who proposed the largely hated 'forced rp' idea (how do you call it rp when its forced), who, when everyone hated it, chose to make a retarded spammy 'ad' at brit bank anyways (yeah buddy, great rp there) then now makes some 'caveman' clan which is possibly one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived

the caveman tribe wouldnt be all that bad except i understand you and your bois at one point outright HARASSED gm's daily with pages saying you need blessed bear masks, etc (thought you didn't like 'stuff', eh dipshit?). i guess since you got nothing from them (afterall why should they give a new rp guild with no website, no written purpose, no PROOF they're legit a single thing to help them out) youve got a big ol case of jealousy going

so yeah, your criticisms mean absolutely nothing considering your history oh ironic one

Devine

Page
EvilGenius010 said:
One more note... to orcs. How the fuck can you call yourself RPers? Yes, 1/2 of your members grunt sometimes, and you sit in the orc fort, but your players choose to use *farts* macros with spells and para gank to get kills. Hmmm... ok. One might say "HEY OMGOSH! ORCS COULD FART IRL?!" Hmm... them sitting inside of the orc fort must imply they try to be like the in game orcs... which I will then state that they are nothing close.

Para gank, crushing blow gank, what's the difference? Learning and using the orcish language takes alot more "rp skill" than typing random letters on a keyboard and saying you're a caveman. One might say "warhammers weren't widely used until medieval times" but we won't go there ;)

EvilGenius010 said:
You dont rp. You abuse the phrase to receive unnecessary priviledges. Its sad... I think UO should die irl.
Says the guy who wants to force people to wear l33t bear masks in order to RP. :)

Ok fuckers. Wow. This has got to be the most retarted/random ass post with the most incorrect information I have ever read. Holy fuck. To clear up the obvious misunderstandings:

KharneKGB said:
evil: coming from the guy who proposed the largely hated 'forced rp' idea (how do you call it rp when its forced), who, when everyone hated it, chose to make a retarded spammy 'ad' at brit bank anyways (yeah buddy, great rp there)

Largely hated? Did you even follow it?!? Sure, most of the POSTS may have been against it, but that was because there was a POLL running on the thread. You didnt have to post with a suggestion or a flame if you liked it. Secondly, I only spammed brit bank because I received almost 10 players that agreed with the idea in the first 20 minutes. There we SO many players that would IM me and say "EVIL! OMG MAN! PLEASE DO THIS!" (Oh I forgot. You knew this, right? You were here, right? Kk good). I spammed it to give the rest of the players on the shard an example of what each clan would look like. Also... there are the players that dont go onto the forums... I wanted there opinion also. And... in a later post, I even admitted that it shouldnt have been called RP, because everyone was overlooking the concept to try to defend the name RP has. Forced RP? A systed? Because, many cant handle RPing themselves (sunfiregt just said it... some ruin it for everyone. I thought the orcs were bullshit because I fought with the few that did. Get the point? Use a dictionary, or go to www.dictionary.com for help.)

kharneKGB said:
then now makes some 'caveman' clan which is possibly one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived

Wow... quite possibly one of the dumbest ideas? I see I see... well... the Orcs were taken, I couldnt find troll masks... I dunno... pick your excuse. The reason why I decided on cavemen was because I wanted to really use macing. To me, they went together.

kharneKGB said:
the caveman tribe wouldnt be all that bad except i understand you and your bois at one point outright HARASSED gm's daily with pages saying you need blessed bear masks, etc (thought you didn't like 'stuff', eh dipshit?).

Actually, it was not "me and my bois" as you so cleverly put. One of the members was wondering HOW TO find a BEAR MASK! He was bored and we were training, and wanted to see if he could get an answer. And... it WAS NOT DAILY! He started the request and waited 30 mins for a response. His fault? And... I dont like "stuff". Our tribe does not wear blessed neon sandals and stupid shit like that... we wear bear masks... bears... something that a caveman in this UO could probably hunt, right? Nah... fuck it. Your right. I have fucked up ideas... My forced RP is a bad idea... my original "Caveman" tribe is a bad idea... my storyline for my tribe is a bad idea... wow.

kharneKGB said:
i guess since you got nothing from them (afterall why should they give a new rp guild with no website, no written purpose, no PROOF they're legit a single thing to help them out) youve got a big ol case of jealousy going

so yeah, your criticisms mean absolutely nothing considering your history oh ironic one

Since we got nothing from them? We only wanted advice on where to look... my tribemate didnt even know if they could be gotten from the world or if they were gifts, and the GM's cleared that up. Didnt get anything? Hmm k. I know... 2nd night... no website. We have one now.

http://www.geocities.com/uocavemen/

I know... 3rd day. Ugh... we're slow, but trying. I DO NOT WANT handouts! No fucking RP guild deserves handouts! We will not take them! We are building our own town (already have 3 houses in the area), not sitting in an orc fort. I dont want shit... I just want to make UO something worth playing for the players that are sick of it. Almost 8 years now and I want what it was before.

(Note: When the GM's came, I said "Hello Tor". He responded with "HELLO TOR? NICE RPING!" Ok... like cavemen couldnt talk? Considering they could, but it sounded broken and new to them. Then... when my chant, "Ooook Ooook Blargh!" went off, he made the comment "And thats not RP either!" OK WTF! Shit... we either cant talk, or we cant make noises. My bad for roleplaying...

So... mr uninformed... fuck you.

Devine said:
Para gank, crushing blow gank, what's the difference? Learning and using the orcish language takes alot more "rp skill" than typing random letters on a keyboard and saying you're a caveman. One might say "warhammers weren't widely used until medieval times" but we won't go there ;)

Says the guy who wants to force people to wear l33t bear masks in order to RP. :)

Huge difference... one stops you from moving? If you need your enemy to not move to kill him, I dont think your talented. I think cavemen have a better corelation to war hammers than Orcs do to para spells.:/.

And... they arent forced to. At all. It follows the storyline. Wow...

Middle Man

Sorceror
Just to clarify the orcs RP constantly. Just because we dont intereact with you and your own social gatherings to set up crap that you want doesnt mean we dont RP. We choose to RP as orcs with orcs. Last i checked there was no RP rulebook stating that "in order to be a rp guild u have to rp with everyone equally" in other words we have to put up with stupid ass oomies comming around to fort to look at and pet the orcs and listen to them talk.

We have our allies and we RP and intereact with them, other than that we are not widely interested in interacting or roleplaying with oomies. Dony like it? tuff. last i checked guilds were not run and regulated by people who arent even directly involved with the guild and members.

If people are dumb enough to come to our lands and fort they are 99% of the time looking for a fight and looking to grief or kill orcs. Why would we not use everything in our arsenal to kill them? Mass archer walls, para, hiding and setting traps, mass bola production. Things like this.

We are orcs, we dont like oomies and do not need you. If you come across a red orc chances are your gonna die, if u dont want to die then spam " i got tribuut" as u try to run away and maybe we will let u live and leave. I say maybe because we dont have to. Our guild, Our rules, Our version of RP. If you dont like it try making an orc and actually join the guild and stay in it for a month if u can. For those of you knobs out there saying orcs dont RP its only cause u feel left out cause we wont intereact with you. Tuff luck bucko, we RP in our own community not yours and have no need nor want to interact with oomies other than to kill them or the occassional ones we actually like and pvp rp with.

Seems like alot of people dont understand that orc RP does not need involvment from oomies.It would be nice to have some oomie enemies who arent constantly whining about us and instead are respected people who raid us and we raid back but so far there is an abundance of whiners and too few good rp guilds. Hello....evil orcs who kill shit here, not the most friendly of tribes when u are invading their territory with ur big fancy mojo and pet lizzies.

If you want some sort of special RP then contact a council member such as myself or others via our website. Till then your flames are meaningless drivel since we dont answer to you nor care about ur RP Police mentality.

and that website is a travesty. If i were looking for another guild to join i certainly wouldnt take that website seriously nor the guy who put it up. please invest in something more appealing and less written out. bleh. i tried to read it just to get more info on ur tribe and stoped when i almost fell asleep.

cavemen<3orc

sunfiregt

Wanderer
To kharne: You said that cavemen was the worst RP idea ever? What whould you suggest roleplaying penis eaters? Whatever. And to Kurg'Grat: you are true. The orcs do have their own RP tactics and they do it well. When i made this post is was mainly directed toward individuals not guilds. You see i would love to have guild of humans that RP to kill orcs and undead and such but nobody wants to deal with orcs and the like because everyone is so .. whats the word.. cocky. I am saying that you should be encouraging RPing on this shard - not love all humans.

sunfiregt said:
To kharne: You said that cavemen was the worst RP idea ever? What whould you suggest roleplaying penis eaters? Whatever. And to Kurg'Grat: you are true. The orcs do have their own RP tactics and they do it well. When i made this post is was mainly directed toward individuals not guilds. You see i would love to have guild of humans that RP to kill orcs and undead and such but nobody wants to deal with orcs and the like because everyone is so .. whats the word.. cocky. I am saying that you should be encouraging RPing on this shard - not love all humans.

True.

I just dont get something... someone explain it to me. I sit here and take flames (I really dont care about what an 11 yr old thinks of what I do... believe me. I wont lose sleep. Just wondering.) for having my guild RP the way we want... we do what we do how we do it. And... I respond and get flamed back for commenting on how another group RPs. I understand that the Orcs can roleplay however they want... of course they can. One thing though... there are different levels of RP apparently.

"We choose to RP as orcs with orcs."

Ok... then you say:

"Why wouldnt we use everything in our arenal to kill them?"

Good point... but para isnt in an orcs arsenal. You may change it and put it in for your orcs, but then you should call yourselves Urgs or something... because, technically, changing what they do changes what they are.

My tribe and I have discussions everyday about the no looting policy and about not using eval/fencing. And... if I were to change how we play, I would change who we are. And... Cavemen, like Orcs, shouldnt act the same as other players.

My tribe will probably lose more than half of the fights we are in, but we will stick to the disadvantages of being Cavemen... period. You cant just give yourselves a title and act like everyone else... the title seperates you.

At least, it should... that would make it RP. Anything else is RvP.

Devine

Page
EvilGenius010 said:
Huge difference... one stops you from moving? If you need your enemy to not move to kill him, I dont think your talented. I think cavemen have a better corelation to war hammers than Orcs do to para spells.:/.

Almost all incarnations of orcs have used spears, is it their fault UO decided to give para to spears? Cavemen have no correlation to warhammers because warhammers weren't made until thousands of years after man moved out of caves, so if you are usin warhammers instead of clubs, how can you say anything about orcish weapons? And FYI, most orcs use archery, not fencing.

EvilGenius010 said:
And... they arent forced to. At all. It follows the storyline. Wow...
Your other "great" idea, besides cavemen with blacksmithy and magery, was that as long as you wore a l33t item you were an RPer, nevermind having to pass any tests to make sure you were serious enough about it to join.

KharneKGB

Wanderer
dont even try to spin yourself out of the bearmask incident, i know firsthand evidence. the fact is you wanted the 'hook ups' and just got rightfully laughed at. now you take it out on the rest of the rp community. nuff said on that topic

(in reference to para blow)
If you need your enemy to not move to kill him, I dont think your talented.

haha wow the irony continues. if you need to invent stuff about your 'cavemen' that somehow allows them to do very uncavemanish things, such as use MAGERY, use mounts (cavemen didnt ride mounts), and use a metal/wood combination weapon that wasn't invented until thousands of years afterwards, just so you have a chance to 'pwn ppl' in pvp, YOU are the one not talented

sunfire said:
I am saying that you should be encouraging RPing on this shard - not love all humans.

this is a funny thing too. this thread starts with you and evil making harsh criticisms of the orc rp guild, and rp guilds on uog in general. then when you get a taste of your own medicine, suddenly it's all 'boo hoo stop discouraging our rp'. i guess you think you have some kind of immunity, where you can say whatever you want about what people do but they better not dare say something in return... yeeeahh..

Sphen

Wanderer
wow kharne your gay. and we ride llama, not even eth llamas at that. and as for the bear masks, yea we wanted to know where to get them. and as for the no fencing/eval/looting thing. thats our decision and im going to stick with it even if we lose potentially 9/10 of the people we could. just means we keep the people that are really dedicated.

Devine

Page
Sphen said:
wow kharne your gay. and we ride llama, not even eth llamas at that. and as for the bear masks, yea we wanted to know where to get them. and as for the no fencing/eval/looting thing. thats our decision and im going to stick with it even if we lose potentially 9/10 of the people we could. just means we keep the people that are really dedicated.
Llamas are native to South America, not Europe where cavemen were. In fact, the Incas who first domesticated them weren't around until about 1000 years ago. Horses were domesticated about 3000 years ago in Europe. If you're really going to RP a caveman, you should be on foot, not on horseback. Even the Orcs(who in the movies and books sometimes rode mounts, such as wargs) are on foot, and they could ride a mount without breaking rp.

sunfiregt

Wanderer
KharneKGB said:
this is a funny thing too. this thread starts with you and evil making harsh criticisms of the orc rp guild, and rp guilds on uog in general. then when you get a taste of your own medicine, suddenly it's all 'boo hoo stop discouraging our rp'. i guess you think you have some kind of immunity, where you can say whatever you want about what people do but they better not dare say something in return... yeeeahh..
Well for one i started this thread to start a discussion about the RP community and i never bashed the orcs.. Im sure you dont even know that I have an orc, as well as an Undead. Roleplaying is the only reason I play UO. And if i dish "boo-hooing" then i expect to get it back because i want to know what you think. I wouldn't even start anything if i didn't want feedback. You need to get out of defense mode and try to discuss the issue this thread is based upon.

KharneKGB

Wanderer
and i wouldn't have flamed you based on the original thread (and the original thread in isolation) but then evil genius got involved and well :| cavemen sux

Can I apologeise for something? K.

Im sorry... I dont have the patience to sift through alll of that ignorant bullshit. With that said, I will say this FOR THE LAST TIME:

When you create a RP idea, and you put it into the game, you have to add certain aspects while not ruining the concept. We learned magery from "the great hole (hythloth, fyi)", but only defensive magery.

Its in our storyline, which ive posted almost 80 times. See... people bitch that I post too much, yet they probably dont even read the shit and make comments.

We are Cavemen in a part of the UO world where we've seen llamas and are around magery. We adapt. At least im not saying "Hey! Ill be an orc, yet act nothing like orcs." Some of you do, very well, and its awesome. There are those that dont. You never notice the good, but notice the bad. So...

And... if you dont know something about a topic, I would suggest either doing research or dont post. Thats a big concept ive learned from the Marine Corps. So... Kharne... ima not even deal with your bullshit anymore. You have no clue about any of the shit yer spewing, so I dont care.

Whens your 12 birthday? Ima send you an e-card. K?

KharneKGB

Wanderer
to summarize the above post: you brought up some good points that i can't hope to respond to. rather than backing down i'm just going to make some assinine reply about the persons age and hope that qualifies as 'winning' the flame war

evil genius i humbly accept your admittance of defeat. perhaps when you finally take my advice and go back to the drawing board with the caveman idea it'll turn out to be something good.

I'm still trying to get into the Pirates but since I have such a varying time schedule from most, I may not be able to. I love to role-play because it's a different kind of fun than the typical gaming. MMORPGS have two main draws by my perception: roleplaying and interactive conflict.

Interactive conflict is great, I love it, First Person Shooters, Racing Games, etc. where you have a conflict and have to work together, or against one another, to overcome the conflict, i.e. "I want to win so I have to make that chick crash," or "I have to shoot that guy before he shoots me and the rest of my team."

Roleplay is a huge aspect in MMORPGs but because of the versatility of UO, and the dynamic PvP, that aspect is often put on the back burner in favor of focusing on the fast paced carnage. I always "get into character" when I'm playing UO. I hold my character to a standard of playing. That is probably due to a lifetime of table top roleplaying, but I just like doing it. Roleplay, to me, is asking yourself, "How would my character react in that situation?" and then doing it. So I say, "How would a murderous, yet honorable, PK act in that situation? Slaughter the strong and help the weak, so that's how I play on my PKs. The same would apply to being a jovial pirate, or a huskie orc, the risen dead, or a holy paladin.

I think the discrepancy arises when people who choose to roleplay get distracted by the appeal of more interactive conflict, but when one adds the complexity of roleplaying to the interactive conflict, both experiences are phenomnellay enhanced. Thus is UO.