UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Old School 1997-1998 UO

Re: Old School 1997-1998 UO

I started playing in like 2000 I guess, so just miss your cut off.

But the thing I remember most is GM being a big deal, and people actually gaining skill through use.
There was something so awesome about your main only being 1 or 2 times GM, and the excitement of when you would be fighting/playing and suddenly gain in some skill.
I really miss continued character development, where gains were slow enough that you wouldn't even think about being 7X and you would just have fun playing your imperfect character, always getting better.

Vicktor Vauhn;2038026 said:
I started playing in like 2000 I guess, so just miss your cut off.

But the thing I remember most is GM being a big deal, and people actually gaining skill through use.
There was something so awesome about your main only being 1 or 2 times GM, and the excitement of when you would be fighting/playing and suddenly gain in some skill.
I really miss continued character development, where gains were slow enough that you wouldn't even think about being 7X and you would just have fun playing your imperfect character, always getting better.

Yea I remember when I was in this guild called M^F on Napa Valley. It was the largest guild on Napa and one of the largest of any shard. Anyway, we used to go on guild hunts and when we'd come back, we'd have the GM or close to GM smiths repair our weapons and armor at the Britian Smith, near the GY. It was customary to tip them :p. Those where the days.

Masquerade

Sorceror

took me a week and a half to 7x a lumberjack. spent way to much time doing so. Used to eat mages Alive

TheHawks

Sorceror

Guards actually having to hally wack you was awsome. Me and some friends would get on our archers and mages and surround ourselves with sandbags (i think,mabye chests) in front of vesper bank and punk guards. I think people would run up and remove the bags or mabye a gm did it, anyways I dont remember guard killing runs lasting all that long. I'm preaty sure that when you used a blade on a head you could get their skull and brain too. Ev's were fucking fearsome and bs's couldent poison you. As to the original magic of the game, that was great. The first thing I ever did in UO was cast my newbie magic arrow scroll on someone in the town I started in. My original chars name was Black Fire on Sonoma. I recently re-built him on this server. =)

character

Wanderer

buying neon hair for all my chars for 50gp each. ( Ty askchopper.com )

gming resist with like 10 people with demons on a boat.

skelly wall for sure. that must have lasted for like 2 years or 3.

being red with 50 archery 50.4 fencing or so. lol

hiring npc archers and raping everyone in your path lol.

getting banned with a blessed perfect vanq katana for calling someone a chink

getting banned x20 more times for saying bitch, cunt, etc.

serverline gains

dieing to a snake my first day of uo because the bastard posioned me.

using moonstones. used one to enter the battle where they were fighting for champion of shard. tried to steal from them ( got jailed )

selling blank scrolls as houses.

EVERYBODY was so damn gullaby. u could scam the same person twice in a row. THE SAME DAY!

Tanglewood

Wanderer

Early UO days were just amazing!!! Lag and all.

I was 12 and had a 9 yr old sister and an 14 year old brother who bought the game when it first came out. Wow do I remember the domestics!!! Beating each other up to have a go of playing... bribing by making lunch, doing the other person chores and even giving up pocket money to play!
Such great times.... :)

And if that wasn't enough grief.... you finally got your go and then it was the laggy time of day!
Us Aussies have such memories of the lag.... thank god 3am US time was afternoon for us so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Don't know if any of you remember the "Auzzie! Auzzie! Auzzie!!" rally's....back in the first years.

So sad that when we finally got what we asked for.... we were soon joined with Trammel :(

I also remember being so excited being asked to be in one of Imanewbie's acts! Such a little girl back then lol. I was such a newb then as well. If you're reading this by chance Imanewbie... I'm that ass who accidently attacked you when you polymorphed into a chicken!

Anyway.... anything else Id write will be exactly what everyone else here has written. Those of us that played pre-T2A and T2A experienced something that no-one else has ever or will experience!!
We were the lucky ones!

PS: LOL "everyone had camping skill because of some ass running around lighting fires everywhere"

Tobias

Sorceror

Im surprised no one mentioned house gating.

I remember me, in my 7x7 wooden house, gating inside the house to WBB, dispelling the gate inside my house, and locking tables down around it.

Or if you where out pking, and you'd mark a rune outside the house, run in and cast gate. Then you could be banned atleast 90 times:D

Tanglewood

Wanderer

And anyone here do any volunteering? It was so cool. Can't remember all the positions but I remember getting up to the brown robe (elder I think it was... or was that one black?) Anyhow.... does anyone have any good stories to share from volunteering days?

I remember pulling a guy to jail one time... actually lots of guys.... can't remember what for.... but this once there was a bunch of us volunteers there jailing a bunch of ppl and then all these jail timers stripped naked and started bending over backwards flashing us basically signalling for us to kiss their asses lol.... had to have been there to see it I guess. Totally doesn't sound funny retelling it. Teleporting to random co-ords was a great ability though.. could see parts of the world that you had never seen until then. So sad that those certain counselors kicked up a stink and tried to get paid when they knowingly VOLUNTEERED. Whole volunteer program was shut down because of those few greedy people...

hazy

Squire

LKP;1916414 said:
I agree with you in part, but I respectfully disagree with you in part too.

It's true that we'll never be newbies like we were, so we'll never quite be able to capture that feeling again. Maybe it's because it also coincided with my adolescence, but whatever the case, it was magical. And you're right that the magic is gone - innocence has become experience.

But you know what? I came damn close to recapturing it not long ago, shortly before Divinity 2.0 was released. When I logged in on that shard, and saw the grey system messages, and the [pratice weapon]'s, and went out to raise my strength by herding and eventually started dropping exp-eb-hally combos in some old school PvP, I was 14 again for a little while. The only thing different was that now I knew the game inside and out - I knew how to make money, train up my chars, and get in the game quickly. The magic had returned, however briefly, and I thank you for that. It's unfortunate that it faded away again as I became disenchanted with the new disrupt-happy PvP crowd that basically did nothing but spam magic arrows in between too-fast halberd swings.

Then I came back here. And you know what else? This place is still magical too. Here, I'm not a newbie. I've been playing this shard, admittedly on and off, for around 5 years now. And I've been playing this game, also on and off, for twice that. So have quite a few of the players on these forums. But UOG is not without its newbies. I solo PK, so I usually target areas where I can find lone players or small groups that I can overpower. I find that a lot in certain dungeons, as well as overworld areas. In fact, I'm so damn resistant to change that I still PK, with my tank mage, at the X-roads.

And every now and then in my travels, I find a total newbie. They're not hard to recognize - the guy wearing an orc helm and thigh boots becomes a corpse full of carrots and arrow shafts. These guys aren't just new to Hybrid - they're new to UO. They're new to MMORPG's. Hell, they're new to gaming. And it's true that this is a different generation - they've got broadband and Ventrilo and Razor, not to mention XBox Live and the PlayStation Network with all the features we dreamt about when we grew up with Atari and NES. But the magic of UO is the same. The game is just immersive for them now as it was for us a decade ago.

And then I realized, I get to be a part of that in a whole new way.

I remember the first time I got PK'ed. Some real life friends of mine, who got me into this game in the first place, friended me to their house north of Minoc. We went west through that little patch of woods, past the mountain with the t2a entrance, to the peninsula that's now covered in reapers but then was full of orc captains and ettins. They helped me fight the monsters there for a while, and I got my fencing up a few points... then we headed back to that little house. One of my friends had a pretty good tank mage, and I watched him duel a few times with a neighbor before we called it a night. My friends logged off, but I was hooked. After they were gone, I made my way back toward that peninsula alone. I was about halfway through the woods when I saw the red name. I didn't know much about UO, but I knew red names were bad, so I ran back toward the house. Before I knew what was happening my character exploded, burst into flames, and then was run down by a guy on horseback wielding a halberd. I didn't get upset. I just pushed my chair back from my desk, sat back and let the adrenaline be filtered out of my veins for a minute, and thought... THAT. WAS. AWESOME.

I knew right then what I wanted to be. I started working on my tank mage character the very next day, and I've never looked back. I hit the bone knight wall and GM'ed swords and tactics, stole some of my friends' regs to work magery (and ended up banned from their house), and went red as soon as I could ebolt. I spent the next several months wandering around as a homeless murderer, fighting any blues I saw and being helped out by lots of red sympathizers along the way. With the exception of the period where it was impossible (between UO:R and Pub 14), I've always played tanks. I expect I always will. And I'll probably always PK, too.

But I digress. The point is this - At the most fundamental level, the game hasn't changed... I'm just on the other end of the halberd.

The magic isn't gone, Ryan. We just need to accept that we're seeing it from a different perspective. It might not look as mysterious through experienced eyes, but there are still newbies out there seeing it for the very first time. I thank you on their behalf, and on my own, for giving me a chance to realize that.

this was fucking touching, I swear I think a tear rolled down my face while reading this.

Elric[GoD]

Wanderer

LKP;1916414 said:
I agree with you in part, but I respectfully disagree with you in part too.

It's true that we'll never be newbies like we were, so we'll never quite be able to capture that feeling again. Maybe it's because it also coincided with my adolescence, but whatever the case, it was magical. And you're right that the magic is gone - innocence has become experience.

But you know what? I came damn close to recapturing it not long ago, shortly before Divinity 2.0 was released. When I logged in on that shard, and saw the grey system messages, and the [pratice weapon]'s, and went out to raise my strength by herding and eventually started dropping exp-eb-hally combos in some old school PvP, I was 14 again for a little while. The only thing different was that now I knew the game inside and out - I knew how to make money, train up my chars, and get in the game quickly. The magic had returned, however briefly, and I thank you for that. It's unfortunate that it faded away again as I became disenchanted with the new disrupt-happy PvP crowd that basically did nothing but spam magic arrows in between too-fast halberd swings.

Then I came back here. And you know what else? This place is still magical too. Here, I'm not a newbie. I've been playing this shard, admittedly on and off, for around 5 years now. And I've been playing this game, also on and off, for twice that. So have quite a few of the players on these forums. But UOG is not without its newbies. I solo PK, so I usually target areas where I can find lone players or small groups that I can overpower. I find that a lot in certain dungeons, as well as overworld areas. In fact, I'm so damn resistant to change that I still PK, with my tank mage, at the X-roads.

And every now and then in my travels, I find a total newbie. They're not hard to recognize - the guy wearing an orc helm and thigh boots becomes a corpse full of carrots and arrow shafts. These guys aren't just new to Hybrid - they're new to UO. They're new to MMORPG's. Hell, they're new to gaming. And it's true that this is a different generation - they've got broadband and Ventrilo and Razor, not to mention XBox Live and the PlayStation Network with all the features we dreamt about when we grew up with Atari and NES. But the magic of UO is the same. The game is just immersive for them now as it was for us a decade ago.

And then I realized, I get to be a part of that in a whole new way.

I remember the first time I got PK'ed. Some real life friends of mine, who got me into this game in the first place, friended me to their house north of Minoc. We went west through that little patch of woods, past the mountain with the t2a entrance, to the peninsula that's now covered in reapers but then was full of orc captains and ettins. They helped me fight the monsters there for a while, and I got my fencing up a few points... then we headed back to that little house. One of my friends had a pretty good tank mage, and I watched him duel a few times with a neighbor before we called it a night. My friends logged off, but I was hooked. After they were gone, I made my way back toward that peninsula alone. I was about halfway through the woods when I saw the red name. I didn't know much about UO, but I knew red names were bad, so I ran back toward the house. Before I knew what was happening my character exploded, burst into flames, and then was run down by a guy on horseback wielding a halberd. I didn't get upset. I just pushed my chair back from my desk, sat back and let the adrenaline be filtered out of my veins for a minute, and thought... THAT. WAS. AWESOME.

I knew right then what I wanted to be. I started working on my tank mage character the very next day, and I've never looked back. I hit the bone knight wall and GM'ed swords and tactics, stole some of my friends' regs to work magery (and ended up banned from their house), and went red as soon as I could ebolt. I spent the next several months wandering around as a homeless murderer, fighting any blues I saw and being helped out by lots of red sympathizers along the way. With the exception of the period where it was impossible (between UO:R and Pub 14), I've always played tanks. I expect I always will. And I'll probably always PK, too.

But I digress. The point is this - At the most fundamental level, the game hasn't changed... I'm just on the other end of the halberd.

The magic isn't gone, Ryan. We just need to accept that we're seeing it from a different perspective. It might not look as mysterious through experienced eyes, but there are still newbies out there seeing it for the very first time. I thank you on their behalf, and on my own, for giving me a chance to realize that.

Well said indeed. I remember the first time I got pked on UO. I was on the Great Lakes server. I always enjoyed watching the chest open up on the login screen. I logged in and headed for Despise in my cheesy armor and viking sword. I was no farther than a couple of inches into the entrance and on my screen popped "The Dread Lady Coke". I live in Texas and at the time the Great Lakes server was in Texas so my 56k dial up modem was actually pretty good. I immediately broke out into a cold sweat and my hands started shaking. I fealt as though my heart was going to explode out of my chest because my heart was pumping so fast. Needless to say I didn't last very long as an adept swordsman trying to run from the everlasting fireballs that chased you for miles.

Second time i got pked, i was running from 2 PKs that were standing outside of Despise. They were hitting me with fireballs and I was down to a sliver of life. I ran all the way from the Despise pass to just past the Britain GY being followed by a fireball that would definitely kill me if I stopped, I ran into a tree and boom, "You have died."

Nothing better than that rush as a newbie in a game with so much potential.

dlofgren

Wanderer

Just felt like I had to contribute to this very special thread.

First time I got PK'd was just outside despise, no idea how I ended up there, guessing I was mining. Anyway there was a corpse just outside the entrance with loot on it and a few ppl standing around but no-one was looting, so ofc I ran straight up to the corpse and grabbed what I could, then someone types "He looted an Oinlander, kill him!"

Boy did I run, and hide, and run but one of the guys must have had tracking because I couldn't shake him, eventually he found me and I died, later I learnt that OiN was some sort of Uber guild

Another funny episode was when me and my mate decided to join Order just because their shield was so cool, then just after going Order I ran into Occlo (Had our house there) and immediately being swarmed with people covering EVERY tile around me so I couldn't even move, my last words was "No wait", but they didn't listen...

And i do remember archery being Uber, and also that for a short period you could poison arrows.

Also remember a tower next to our guildhouse that had a house on top of it, really wierd...

My favorite WTF moment is however when I created my first ever char and found Brit bank, and someone shouting "Guards the Bank is being robbed" while ofc the whole area was crowded, I was like WTF are they really robbing a bank!? Wooow....

Oh and my first ever "Successful" PK tactic, when i'd finally reached enough magery to cast lvl 8 spells, was to go to the farm area in Wind where alot of ppl went to gather feathers, i'd just put a pile of gold on the ground, summon a deamon, invis him and tell him to guard the gold, wish I could see the peoples faces when they grabbed the gold and bloody deamon coming out of nowhere lol

lol the good ol' noob days

it will never be the same cause the player base just will never be there. i remember britian faction wars at the healers and at the top of the inn 100s of people fighting. and chasing people down the ladders into the sewers. good days. Uog has 1000 ppl avg. no way to bring back those memories with so little people..

phatblunts

Sorceror

I forgot about a lot of this stuff. UO has changed so much since i first started. Lets see.

No t2a/trammel
Full plate mages
80+ magery = god
80+ resist and your prolly lying lol :p
My tent is better then yours
Hiding on peoples steps waiting for them to come home
Stacking robes/dresses and steal/break all your shit
Giving bread to healers to go blue
Not being able to lock skills
Having 5k murder counts on my tinker
Getting night sight in deciet so i can steal your silver wep
Just deciet in it self (was the place to be)
No lock downs. Having bags to the ceiling from looting peoples houses.
Insta hit
Expl eb double hally hit. For those who knew how to do it.
Blessed black sandals.
Skeletons giving tons of gold
Fruit baskets
Not getting guard whacked if you run east to west/west to east
Being lord was mpressive
No followers or stable slots
Claim pets on my red tamer and always die instantly from just saying claim
BTW you can go to town you just cant move or g wack
Heal through poison
Power hour
UO Extreme/Casting 5 eb at once and killing you
Everyone had hiding
Using ingots to place houses any where
Having like 50 houses
Pack horse bombs
Using peoples kegs/ingots on there porch to macro
Poisoning stuff and recall so the poison kills it. They dont cure if no one is there
Training poison eles to kill everyone in deciet
Black hole your self.
Did I mention duping checks (yea lots of them)
8x8

Ok well i can keep going but it might never stop.

Cid_Mutation

Sorceror

I just remember something...

The first time I got PKed my friend and I where trying to go to Minoc on foot (a moon what) and on the way we saw a house ( i don't know if you remember but when a house was going IDOC it would change and have spiderweb on it and the overall look of the house was like it was about to fall ) so it's IDOC we decided to wait for it to fall, about 3 hours later blam it on the floor. We don't know how to put a house, so we run back to brit get kill about a dozen times by mob's loot back our shit. We get to brit start asking question around town and we find the answer and realize that we're a few thousand short to buy a house deed. We had about 400 gold together... Than another friend log in we tell him what we found and how much we need, he gave us the money we bought the deed and were on our way to the spot, when 1 red came by and killed us. We were broke we had to pay back a few gran to a friend and no house.

Man what a memory!

character

Wanderer

MeLvIn^^;1916638 said:
56k was awesome. just be cruisin through a dungeon or fighting in factions and all the sudden have hardcore frozen lag would step in and you get the "good-bye" from AOL. LOL

i had mine set up to block phone calls so i wouldn't get disconnected :)

hybridacct

Wanderer

OrcKilla;1916119 said:
Anyone know of any fan sites?
Did anyone play UO before when there was no Razor or UO Assist?
How was the first year??

actually it was crap, people who had cable had the edge as everyone else was on dialup. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Also, the ganking was so widespread... lots of people cancelled... and trammel came out.

I think it was the result of both gankage, and that we tend to be rude on the net. The "golden rule" is largely forgotten on the net it seems. Not all, but generally we are more rude than we would ever be to someone irl.

So it is that we have trammel, and now the games are largely "carebear."

Feyht

Wanderer

I remember the bugs too like placing a boat on a roof of a house with the water tiles people carried from another bug then falling through the ceiling and looting the house. Burning off kills in a dungeon 2x as fast. Getting npc's to attack you in town with magic to raise magic resist. Those days were the shit.