UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Old School 1997-1998 UO

malloc

Wanderer
Re: Old School 1997-1998 UO

Slann;1918040 said:
This kind of stories makes me feel so sad. I have only 19, so i couldnt play UO in their famous time (that's why im waitting for MO, sounds much like UO). THings as the bounty hunter system sounds pettry could.

I have a stupid but interesting question. In these early days, you could leave stuff on ground?

Oh yeah, I forgot all about the bounty system. That was pretty cool. But, reds (anyone) could recall at any time and with stat loss they didn't stick around when things were not going right.

With post-beta, the reputation system came in and with it stat loss. The dread lord days were quite something different. Good if you were a dread and horrible if you just wanted to walk out of town lol.

You could leave stuff on the ground but the decay was very random. Sometimes things would decay right away other times it would hang around for quite some time.

I remember once when my friends and I made a little art piece near the Occlo bank. Lasted till people started to pick stuff up.

But don't feel sad. Although it was a special time - it was also a ton of problems, server roll-backs, bugs and exploits.

Slann

Wanderer

Yeah, but is a fact that UO is dying. Perhaps this server has enough people, but i saw so many shards on my country dissapear to say that this isn't the uo's golden days.
This isn't the time where every mmorpg player knows about UO, or has played it once time. This is the time where the majority knows hwo to play, where everyone plays to reach soon gm skills, connect to the battlefield, win/die, and recall to house. That isn't the free world, where bandits can try to ambush travellers (not only noobs without runebooks) nor explore Britannia. That's sounds more a quick game pvp instead an amazing whole world (remember, a game where even you can search treasures with a great system!)

MuffinBear

Wanderer

I remember those days!

Some of the stuff I remember is....

Provocation was actualy fun and useful, I could make a newbie with 50 music 50 provocation and go to a dungeon and make monsters fight with each other and I didnt have to be in line of sight and I didnt have to be close to them.

Hiding....I could hide anywhere! If some PK ran right up to me and attacked I could just hide right there infront of him.

And the 8th circle summoning spells were useful since they couldn't be dispelled....I could actualy summon a daemon and have it attack a balron without it being instantly dispelled.

Newbies running to the Brit bank saying "PKS at the xroads!"

People placing houses just about anywhere they wanted

Newbie thief characters with lewd names were at the banks stealing from people and trying to bank the stuff before getting guard wacked.

PvP was different then though, the way I remember it was...

Poison and Paralize were useless.
There were no exceptional weapons (you had to use magic ones)
There was no Meditation.
Anatomy and Eval int did nothing.
Archery was the best weapon skill.
Blues would run around casting Energy Vortex on other blues to kill them.
Healing was a useless skill.
Tamers could have as many animals as they wanted. (no follower limit)
People would put an item on the ground and have a pet "guard" it.

Lots of memories....I also recently found an old pre T2A Ultima Online playguide that me and my brother used to use, it's funny what stuff was in the game back then.

ms9809

Wanderer

I love these threads. Makes me sad, but brings back such good memories.

One of the main reasons UO is different for me now is because of the "thrill" factor. Back in the day if you got pk'd it actually meant something. I remember the feeling after the first time I got attacked by a pk south of Trinsic in the middle of nowhere and I got away. I could hear my heart beating in my ears!

That never happens to me today. Now when I get killed....which is unfortunately a lot... I don’t sweat it. I just go back to the bank or house and gear up again and continue playing.

This also applies to PKs. Back in the day (when stat loss was around) if you were not careful and your pk got killed, lots of hard work put into your character was wasted. I can remember many times panicking to get away from a group of blues with my pk. Ahhhh...the good ole times!

Mrdude

Wanderer

when i first started UO way back when, i joined a foreign server and had no idea wtf was going on. about a month later i ran into a person who spoke english and told me that I should consider joining a different server :p

living on a boat was awesome! the PK bounty system was great, though it didnt do much for inspiring pvp back on OSI it could certainly spark it here ;)

I was THE miner of minoc. I was able to make 100-200k an hour just by recall mining.

I remember houses being sold for deed price, then a year or two later being sold for hundreds of thousands, if not in the mils.

Trading ranger armor for log cabins.

Fencing/lumberjacking > macing

charging people to dye cloth pitch black.

the "pure mares" do more damage than short and long mane mares. not sure whether it was true or not, but it was certainly thought to be true on GL.

Bone Knight room packed to the brim with people using hatchets/daggers/clubs/bows/kats. if it was too full you'd slap on your silver weapon and good armor and go do liches.

8x8 boat trick

I remember being absolutely pissed when they added felucca stones because they looked exactly like runes.

when moongates had no destination

when you had to buy a horse and run from town to town hoping not to see any reapers along the way.

that 80 resist my lumberjack the best pvp char ever. 60 magery,60 hiding, tactics, swords, anat, heal, LJ all GM.

recalling whenever the hell you'd like.

the old old blacksmith/tailoring/tinkering menus that was essentially an elongated trade menu

all leather was just 1 color, and if you wanted a special dyed cloak or robe you'd have to killer a healer/noble to get it. also when killing them was a great way to make $$ :D

Kedaeus_Sendre

Sorceror

OMG You mean i'm not playing a game with a bunch of 8 year olds?
There are people my own age still playing? Sweet..

I started just before T2A came out.. *sigh*
Anyone from Great Lakes remember Ho Chi Mihn and the Vietcong?
That was my first experience with PK's.. and the only one worth remembering.

These days murder counts don't mean anything.

Slann

Wanderer

I wish to know if thieves have changed much (to except age of shadows), do they allways do things as hybrid? when was their best time?

MeLvIn^^

Sorceror

man this takes me back. what great days. bone wall is classic. i remember gming swords and tactics the first time there. 8x8 macroing was the shit. you could kill artists and get red sandles, you could say i will take thee to nobles and lead them in the woods to kill them. they dropped 700-900 gp. the old smithy/tailor/tink menus made it such a bitch to work up mule skills. you had to click everything the old fashion way. guards used to shoot arrows at you until they were close enough to whack you. my all time favorite thing to mark runes on the tiles right next to the public gates, sit in my house and gate to whichever one i wanted, and dispel the gate then hide. ppl would walk through thinking it was the public gate, be trapped with a war horse sitting there invised. this was before you could relog to get out of a house. then to top it off they were grey so no count could be given. kill the dude, loot his crap, ban the ghost, repeat. dont know how many sick weps and armor i got off doing that. war horses pwned back in the day.

TheCiscoKid

Wanderer

I miss alot of it but I have never really moved past it. I just started using macros 2 months ago. I miss Moonglow Cemetery and having to run through the gates 20 times to hit the right town. Where finding exploits was fun and shared only with close friends. Where scamming was an art form. Where you could actually kill someone with just poison. Haha, good times

wkstrm

Lord

My thief... Oh the memories. ;)

Well, that era is long since gone so no point in longing for it back. It won't happend.

Fides

Sorceror

Abyss ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111

hella

Sorceror

Ryan;1916303 said:
I don't try to do anything...

I either do it or dont...

Old School UO is not about "era accurate this or that" it's about that feel that you get when you play a new game...

ITS GONE.

((wipes tears)) !! <<

bumpylumpy

Wanderer

Early UO was tons of fun for me, back then I didn't even see it so much as a computer game but as a huge, interactive world.

Personally though, if there was a shard that perfectly captured the rules and mechanics of very early UO, it would be virtually unplayable for me.

Decaying runes, no skill lock, dragging to equip/loot, manually buying/restocking reagents etc.; the list of relatively tedious things you had to do imo is long compared to modern day freeshards/official or probably any MMO to come out since then.

I actually avoided playing UO for around 8 years because I thought it was still a lot like that!

I started in early 99'. I had the most fun on UO back then. Noto pking with my archer. Dressed up with a res robe and an orc helm, stumbling up to the potential victim and failing steal on purpose to go grey. Of course you have to thank the fellow for his donation with a "THANK YOU FOR FREE STUFF KEKE." The moment he attacks I run off hide and equip my bow and archers armor. I made a lot of money this way and it was a lot of fun! ;)

Minoc Mines, Minoc to Vesper road, and Covetous. This all went down on Great Lakes.

peteliv

Knight

im sure this has been stated but i dont read thread i just click reply to the top

belan the looter

google it

Stuckness

Squire

Man, I thought playing Hybrid was a trip down memory lane, but in terms of pure nostalgia, I think reading this thread has actually been more fun than playing any 'classic' freeshards.

Good times.

(not saying Hybrid isn't fun, just... y'know)

Krakah

Sorceror

Larson-hybrid;1916760 said:
everyone had camping skill because some asshole would run around and light fires.
That how you would log off if you werent near a Inn or didnt have a house, build a fire, lay a sleeping bag thing and boom, logged off
orange thing;1917194 said:
Man... we should have town invasions now. How badass would that be for a wave of basic monsters to come through and there be that one dragon to icing the cake?
Hybrid did this late night a LONG time ago, it wasnt a event event, i think just Chaos(old GM) or Kriios spawned like 500drags/ancients/mummies ect all over brit.
MuffinBear;1918946 said:
I remember those days!

Some of the stuff I remember is....

Provocation was actualy fun and useful, I could make a newbie with 50 music 50 provocation and go to a dungeon and make monsters fight with each other and I didnt have to be in line of sight and I didnt have to be close to them.

Hiding....I could hide anywhere! If some PK ran right up to me and attacked I could just hide right there infront of him.

And the 8th circle summoning spells were useful since they couldn't be dispelled....I could actualy summon a daemon and have it attack a balron without it being instantly dispelled.

Newbies running to the Brit bank saying "PKS at the xroads!"

People placing houses just about anywhere they wanted

Newbie thief characters with lewd names were at the banks stealing from people and trying to bank the stuff before getting guard wacked.

PvP was different then though, the way I remember it was...

Poison and Paralize were useless.
There were no exceptional weapons (you had to use magic ones)
There was no Meditation.
Anatomy and Eval int did nothing.
Archery was the best weapon skill.
Blues would run around casting Energy Vortex on other blues to kill them.
Healing was a useless skill.
Tamers could have as many animals as they wanted. (no follower limit)
People would put an item on the ground and have a pet "guard" it.

Lots of memories....I also recently found an old pre T2A Ultima Online playguide that me and my brother used to use, it's funny what stuff was in the game back then.

Kedaeus_Sendre;1919419 said:
OMG You mean i'm not playing a game with a bunch of 8 year olds?
There are people my own age still playing? Sweet..

I started just before T2A came out.. *sigh*
Anyone from Great Lakes remember Ho Chi Mihn and the Vietcong?
That was my first experience with PK's.. and the only one worth remembering.

These days murder counts don't mean anything.

Yea poison was useless because you could G Heal Through it lol..

How bout when you could DP hallys?? haha or Instahit? that was alittle after a lot of the old school news talked bout..

I remember the neon hair dye bug, ide change my hair color every day for like 10k.

the boat bug, you would goto fel, click on boats hulls, and see how many stones/items, then goto tramm, place your boat the same spot, makr a rune on it, then goto fel and recall to it..the runes didnt mark facet specific so boom, looted someones boat dry..haha

Ranger armor was the shit, they need to add that to uog

zerot

Sorceror

Pete Liv;2037722 said:
im sure this has been stated but i dont read thread i just click reply to the top

belan the looter

google it

Good stuff... I really liked "ImaNewbie" stuff too.