UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Old School 1997-1998 UO

OrcKilla

Wanderer
Old School 1997-1998 UO

Anyone know of any fan sites?
Did anyone play UO before when there was no Razor or UO Assist?
How was the first year??

orange thing

Wanderer
Re: Old School 1997-1998 UO

It was amazing.

Fel Only.

Everyone had 56k.

GM weapons were the shit.

Runics didn't exist.

Purple tram pot throwers didn't exist.

There were no custom houses.

In fact there were very few placed houses. I remember seeing houses in Glow unable to sell for more than their deed value.

I used to spend a lot of time lining up my potions in my pack so I could easily click on them since no hot keys to chug existed.

Most people in the field were 3x or 4x gm, since most people just wanted to play and didn't have weeks of spare time, money, and resources to 7x a char before they got into the field.

Good times were had.

EDIT - Oh, and you had to manually disarm, THEN chug, and re-arm on your own. There was no auto zip zap zing motion like there is now.

OrcKilla

Wanderer

Man that sounds like true test of speed and skill having to click and drag for all your combat!

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

Yeah. I refused to use UOA for a while even after it became popular. I was still pretty successful, because so few people knew how to use it effectively, and because we were all quite used to living without it.

orange thing

Wanderer

OrcKilla;1916179 said:
Man that sounds like true test of speed and skill having to click and drag for all your combat!

Yeah, especially being on 56k like everybody else. I remember so many times I'd be fighting and I'd randomly hear that little click in the back of the PC... the modem just magically disconnected.

There were a few times when I was in a full suit of armor in a dexxer fight and I'd be able to log back in and save myself before dying.

The random disconnects just added to the fear element when pvping in UO. :)

malloc

Wanderer

Although the early days were something truly special, they were also lots of problems. There was such of wide variety of bugs and problems with the client and the server. Some of the server roll backs would erase days of progress and/or item you had found. Some of the exploits could really mess you up especially with house breaks ins and no secure storage.

Bottom line for me is that the game just works so much better now even if it has lost some of the early wildness and excitement.

full platemail mages

no runebooks

no kegs

no blessed items

everyone was an archer + melee tank mage

old notoriety system

insta-guardwhack for reds

not everybody rode a mount

100k was a shitload of money

no t2a

brit x-roads were the shit

UO Extreme

gm magery was AMAZING

gm resist was unheard of

level 3 covetous loot room

pvp with bladespirits, energy vortexes and fire fields because you wouldn't get a murder count

I had some good times on OSI back in the 90s, but to be quite honest, I enjoy hybrid more.

Doctor Jones;1916219 said:
full platemail mages

no runebooks

no kegs

no blessed items

everyone was an archer + melee tank mage

old notoriety system

insta-guardwhack for reds

not everybody rode a mount

100k was a shitload of money

no t2a

brit x-roads were the shit

UO Extreme

gm magery was AMAZING

gm resist was unheard of

level 3 covetous loot room

pvp with bladespirits, energy vortexes and fire fields because you wouldn't get a murder count

I had some good times on OSI back in the 90s, but to be quite honest, I enjoy hybrid more.

so true

Naked heavy crossbow shooters were the shit.

Green acres was clean however couldnt move there, 2 minute freezes.

GM parry was unheard of.

The black boxes.

Couldnt find a spot at target dummies because a hind would whip your ass.

Didnt go to brit west bank because you couldnt move.

Server event where houses were threatened to be wiped(98ish?).

The front of every dungeon had ppl that would blow themselves with exp pots and all they had on them to kill everyone around them.

Server going down every 10 mins.

This server is better.

Micha II

Sorceror

running on foot becasue lag was to bad for an mount

Killing for hours in shame

hated towns due to lag

living on a boat

drinking to raise meditation

see sawing skills on gimp char

hours and hours of trying to gain a full point in any skill

needless to say i dont miss it at all lol

Oh almost forgot my fav Barding, provoke peoples animals to attack them and being able to have as many pets as you wanted =P

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member

Old School UO is gone and lost and can never return... it's like virginity for those who are sexually active.

yem

Knight

Ryan;1916295 said:
Old School UO is gone and lost and can never return... it's like virginity for those who are sexually active.

Interesting to hear from someone who tries to run a t2a server as well

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member

yem;1916298 said:
Interesting to hear from someone who tries to run a t2a server as well

I don't try to do anything...

I either do it or dont...

Old School UO is not about "era accurate this or that" it's about that feel that you get when you play a new game...

ITS GONE.

MeLvIn^^

Sorceror

i would love to see a non assist/razor server as well. getting macroed to death is not UO.

AddiX

Wanderer

Those were the days when the top guilds only accepted you if you were an adept or higher in your weapon class.

Rapid Fireballs owned everyone.

People were actually scared of PKs.

A mage pk with 2 deamons could wipe out an entire group of blues.

If you had a dragon you were the man.

Everyone was a tank mage.

No one used mounts.

If you put together a full set of black plate, you were the man. (for those who remember, the arms had to be bought in Serpents Hold)

I also remember the bad, like not being able to lock skills or stats, losing connection, or not being able to log on because the server was full. Bugs, such as marking ruins on peoples stairs and recalling right inside their house (you couldnt lock items down at that time)

If someone got a hold of ur key, ur house was basically useless. running or taking boats everywhere and getting lost.

I even remember that people were scared to go to Hyloth. lol

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

Ryan;1916303 said:
Old School UO is not about "era accurate this or that" it's about that feel that you get when you play a new game...

ITS GONE.

I agree with you in part, but I respectfully disagree with you in part too.

It's true that we'll never be newbies like we were, so we'll never quite be able to capture that feeling again. Maybe it's because it also coincided with my adolescence, but whatever the case, it was magical. And you're right that the magic is gone - innocence has become experience.

But you know what? I came damn close to recapturing it not long ago, shortly before Divinity 2.0 was released. When I logged in on that shard, and saw the grey system messages, and the [pratice weapon]'s, and went out to raise my strength by herding and eventually started dropping exp-eb-hally combos in some old school PvP, I was 14 again for a little while. The only thing different was that now I knew the game inside and out - I knew how to make money, train up my chars, and get in the game quickly. The magic had returned, however briefly, and I thank you for that. It's unfortunate that it faded away again as I became disenchanted with the new disrupt-happy PvP crowd that basically did nothing but spam magic arrows in between too-fast halberd swings.

Then I came back here. And you know what else? This place is still magical too. Here, I'm not a newbie. I've been playing this shard, admittedly on and off, for around 5 years now. And I've been playing this game, also on and off, for twice that. So have quite a few of the players on these forums. But UOG is not without its newbies. I solo PK, so I usually target areas where I can find lone players or small groups that I can overpower. I find that a lot in certain dungeons, as well as overworld areas. In fact, I'm so damn resistant to change that I still PK, with my tank mage, at the X-roads.

And every now and then in my travels, I find a total newbie. They're not hard to recognize - the guy wearing an orc helm and thigh boots becomes a corpse full of carrots and arrow shafts. These guys aren't just new to Hybrid - they're new to UO. They're new to MMORPG's. Hell, they're new to gaming. And it's true that this is a different generation - they've got broadband and Ventrilo and Razor, not to mention XBox Live and the PlayStation Network with all the features we dreamt about when we grew up with Atari and NES. But the magic of UO is the same. The game is just immersive for them now as it was for us a decade ago.

And then I realized, I get to be a part of that in a whole new way.

I remember the first time I got PK'ed. Some real life friends of mine, who got me into this game in the first place, friended me to their house north of Minoc. We went west through that little patch of woods, past the mountain with the t2a entrance, to the peninsula that's now covered in reapers but then was full of orc captains and ettins. They helped me fight the monsters there for a while, and I got my fencing up a few points... then we headed back to that little house. One of my friends had a pretty good tank mage, and I watched him duel a few times with a neighbor before we called it a night. My friends logged off, but I was hooked. After they were gone, I made my way back toward that peninsula alone. I was about halfway through the woods when I saw the red name. I didn't know much about UO, but I knew red names were bad, so I ran back toward the house. Before I knew what was happening my character exploded, burst into flames, and then was run down by a guy on horseback wielding a halberd. I didn't get upset. I just pushed my chair back from my desk, sat back and let the adrenaline be filtered out of my veins for a minute, and thought... THAT. WAS. AWESOME.

I knew right then what I wanted to be. I started working on my tank mage character the very next day, and I've never looked back. I hit the bone knight wall and GM'ed swords and tactics, stole some of my friends' regs to work magery (and ended up banned from their house), and went red as soon as I could ebolt. I spent the next several months wandering around as a homeless murderer, fighting any blues I saw and being helped out by lots of red sympathizers along the way. With the exception of the period where it was impossible (between UO:R and Pub 14), I've always played tanks. I expect I always will. And I'll probably always PK, too.

But I digress. The point is this - At the most fundamental level, the game hasn't changed... I'm just on the other end of the halberd.

The magic isn't gone, Ryan. We just need to accept that we're seeing it from a different perspective. It might not look as mysterious through experienced eyes, but there are still newbies out there seeing it for the very first time. I thank you on their behalf, and on my own, for giving me a chance to realize that.

sk8nomad

Sorceror

This oldschool era of uo was about 11 years ago, it will never be the same mainly because people will not be able to remember every exact little thing to replicate it. Personally I enjoyed UO Gamers :Rebirth style more over 1997-1998. You could actually GM a skill and not have to worry about it dropping because of skill locks.
I agree with Ryan. I loved this game alot early on because it was fresh; not only to me but to everyone else aswell.I was one of the few who knew how to effectivley scam and take advantage of people who knew little about game mechanics. I used to pk using gm trap boxes along side the road. I would hide at forges and smelt people's ore, then kill them with 70 macing when they attacked me. Good times, but it will never happen again because almost everyone knows what they are doing in this game now.

creap

Sorceror

pure black sandals by killing vendors, then how rare they got when vendors were invul.