UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Old School 1997-1998 UO

ntechfree

Wanderer
I was in 9th grade...

Getting banned for a week for cutting in the christmas snow globe line at west brit bank in tram and telling the guy behind me "SHUT THE FUCK UP N****R!" when he told me "Hey you cant cut infront of me..." and then I got banned for 7 days. Then I realised that the 30 green snake plants that were about to give thorns in a week were all going to die. Then trying to contact ea to let me log in and water the plants. They refused to let me.

Before BTR I went into fel and a guy died to a blue with a spear. I looked in the corps and saw a bag filled all the way with postions. mostly purple so I waited for a little bit while the people i was with talked to him then I grabed the bag and ran. He was on a mount so he caught up and hit me with his spear and I remember a weird sound (paralize sound) and it happened over and over almost everytime he hit me. I couldnt move when he started hitting me. I had now anatomy or tactics and was a noob mage.

Mohawk

Sorceror
ya know what drove me bat shit crazy? SINGLE CUTTING AIDS!!!!!!! my fencer with his newbie spear just starting out my room mate says ur gonna need aids to heal ur self and back then u had to cut them MOFO's one by flippin ONE

ntechfree

Wanderer
last object + last target + stapler on the space bar.. that's a real macro.
I dont see how aids are supposed to cure poison.. just dont see that working.. I could see it working if you had a certain reagent or a combo of that would get consumed when you healed under the effects of poison.

YewGuards

Sorceror
I remember Great times at the xroads, brigand fort and yew orc fort on catskills. I remember newbies coming in hordes from west brit bank to the yew orc fort prior to statloss and trammel. BTW Back then you had to walk....so these people rallied teams just to sack the fort. :) I also remember hanging out with my pk in BT at the xroads. We would just setup a toll and pk whoever didn't pay it. Hybrid will always be my last "uo fix" until one day they finally create a new game with the freedom that UO use to have...which is probably never...

I think when you are dealing with a population less than 1500, it's hard to bring back these old locations. However you can focus your attention on one part of the world like Hybrid has, which is Delucia. Del Pond is basically our xroads and there are always people at the bank. I think all we need is an orc guild in the fort at Delucia and maybe a cool npc spawn somewhere nearby for newbies. (like the brit gy) Which will encourage blues to defend them from pks.....

Either way....I'm happy to have hybrid here to fill my fix ;)

Fides

Sorceror
Re: Old School 1997-1998 UO

Yeah. I refused to use UOA for a while even after it became popular. I was still pretty successful, because so few people knew how to use it effectively, and because we were all quite used to living without it.
UOExtreme son Dr. Twister ;)

Moonsongtx

Wanderer
I ran a guild of about 200 out of a "small house" near Wrong. There were no houses in the nearest 2 screens in any direction. The house was public and we had vendors. Every guild pretty much had a website... ours was: http://wolfden.tripod.com/wolf.html (and it's still up but really really bad!)

Our guild didn't do much PvP other than protecting ourselves. So I guess we were considered "Trammies" even before there was a Trammel. But we were fair and kind to everyone including the PKers who came to shop at our store. They liked it cause guild rule was to never attack unless attacked. We liked it cause we ended up being friends with quite a few PKers on Great Lakes. :) When Trammel came, our guild did move but while we loved our new home I kinda miss that little house in the woods where ya didn't know when you'd be killed. :D

YewGuards

Sorceror
I've noticed North Gate has been pretty dead lately... maybe revising the spawn inside the Savage Camp to bring back Choke. Like... a high end rare spawn that is on a 30% spawn rate chance off the rider people that takes a certain skill to kill... Such as overpower or footstools.
I think if you could somehow get the rpers involved with Delucia, you would see the glory days of hybrid or uo in general return. I think an active orc fort north of Delucia or even some type of build structure on top of these hills outside of delucia would be interesting. Could even have king of the hill player events or daily raid the orc fort the the road events.

Fides

Sorceror
I ran a guild of about 200 out of a "small house" near Wrong. There were no houses in the nearest 2 screens in any direction. The house was public and we had vendors. Every guild pretty much had a website... ours was: http://wolfden.tripod.com/wolf.html (and it's still up but really really bad!)

Our guild didn't do much PvP other than protecting ourselves. So I guess we were considered "Trammies" even before there was a Trammel. But we were fair and kind to everyone including the PKers who came to shop at our store. They liked it cause guild rule was to never attack unless attacked. We liked it cause we ended up being friends with quite a few PKers on Great Lakes. :) When Trammel came, our guild did move but while we loved our new home I kinda miss that little house in the woods where ya didn't know when you'd be killed. :D

you were never friends with Ho Chi Minh and the VietCong sir ;)

long live V*C forever :D

Moonsongtx

Wanderer
No I don't remember them. I must admit I can't remember many names from those days. I DO remember spending about an hour in the home of a PKer named Permafrost though, chewing him out and finally coming to an agreement for him not to kill my guild members. *LOL* He asked me why I agreed to come into his home where he could have killed me and looted me without reprecussions, I simply reminded him that it was a game... I didn't have anything on me that I couldn't re-aquire and that my guild members came first to me before anything I had in my backpack. :)

And that's "ma'am". hehe

Fides

Sorceror
No I don't remember them. I must admit I can't remember many names from those days. I DO remember spending about an hour in the home of a PKer named Permafrost though, chewing him out and finally coming to an agreement for him not to kill my guild members. *LOL* He asked me why I agreed to come into his home where he could have killed me and looted me without reprecussions, I simply reminded him that it was a game... I didn't have anything on me that I couldn't re-aquire and that my guild members came first to me before anything I had in my backpack. :)

And that's "ma'am". hehe

oops :D

what was the name of your guild?

Moonsongtx

Wanderer
SWP... Silent Wolf Pride. :) We had a few guildies that did a lot of things with other guilds though. For instance our treasure hunter, Teak, hired out to others to dig up treasures. We were also part of the player-run town of River's End in Trammel. I was mayor for a long time.

quazimoto

Wanderer
I remember playing on the Atlantic shard from the very first day the game came out, and getting PK'd ridiculously until I figured out how to dungeon crawl effectively and got my shit together. I distinctly remember an early bug where level 1 flame bolt did 10x normal damage and pk's would roll through a dungeon and just annihilate everyone. People didn't even know about recall then.

Then going PK, and this was when all other combat other than magic was utterly useless. There was no delay time when casting a spell so everything was basically instantaneous, which meant that the magic reflect spell was uber useful when pvping. A lot of the level 7 spells were also devestating. You could chain lightning a group of peeps and they would get demolished. I also remember hanging out at the x-roads outside britain and there would always be pk vs. anti-pk battles. There was no stat loss then so people would really stick around and fight.

It was a lot of fun. IMHO the game went to shit when dexing and archery got ramped up, UOA came out, there was the guild system and all that. When there was no stat loss for PK's I remember just getting super psyched up when someone was trying to PK me. They were everywhere! Heart pounding and what not. And then on the other side, it felt like hunting and it was fun. You didn't have to be so damn cautious. The magic only battles were a lot more fun. And there was no meditation, eval and all this crap so the mages rolled around in full plate.

There was no goddamn vendor system. You could duplicate items so noone really worried about making $ and getting regents. I work in real life for money. I don't need to do it in a game. I remember coming back to UO probably around 2000 or 2001 and it seemed like everyone was just trying to make money. For what? It just didn't make any sense to me.

It was a truly great game in the very beginning. Really felt like a self policed world where anything went. No rules, no making everything easy to appeal to every conceivable newb gamer. Just a sandbox. A very interesting experiment.