UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

New Duel Rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Duel Rules.

Zippy;1563666 said:
You know when I went to take all the safe zones down no one was dueling at any pit either. Your argument is stupid because *often* even under the old safezones there just weren't that many people dueling (and thus showing me no on is dueling at one second at some time during the day is meaningless).

Back when things were originally implemented there were people dueling all the time. Back when del pond was the hang out each change has slowly hindered the dueling system/area and leaned it more towards field pvp. I like dueling because I play at work alot of the time and if I get a call I have to drop everything and work so it is a big part of my enjoyment on the shard.

I think we should all contribute some ideas as to what should be done, maybe pick 3 of the best and have a poll for the UOG community to decide what it wants to happen. After all, player choice was one of the things that seperated UOGamers from OSI/EA. I am sure we can come up with something interesting here. My personal opinion though it to change it back to the way it originally was. Seemed so much more fun then.

Advent

Wanderer

8-ballcorner;1563672 said:
and on the part about ppl loading up in sz to gank someone maybe make it so all you can precast in sz is like defensive spells no offensive spells

thus lowering the gank and still being able to get reflect up after duel or before leaving sz

just a thought

Actually, what I was thinking of doing was completely blocking off all physical exits from the duel arena by removing the steps, and adding line of sight blockers around the perimeter so that people can't just use them for the aspects that I discussed, and then making the only possible way to get out of the duel pits is a few teleporters set up with a keyword and time delay (Probably about five to ten seconds) so that people can't use them to just jump out at people, but putting them back as safe zones, but they would be completely be isolated. Maybe some bankers would be in order for convenience, because the only way out of the duel pits would be use of the public moongate or by recalling.

As far as the AFKers are concerned, I'm sure we could get creative as a way to deal with them. I see jailing them as pointless, because what do they care? They're AFK anyways, which is just gonna be just what they do with their jail sentence. It just takes a creative mind to figure out what to do with them. I'm thinking a [set poison lethal, or simply kicking them out of the pits for the PK's to deal with might be in order. That way, you all could have your duel pits, spectate them, participate w/o getting ganked, and it wouldn't be so much of a temporary trammel. Just a separate aspect of UO that people might find a hard time abusing.

Obviously, the way of entering the duel arenas would be by use of the delucia location from a public moongate, or you could always just start up a duel. Just a thought. It still has some kinks to work out yet, but it's plausible.

wkstrm

Lord

Advent;1563741 said:
Actually, what I was thinking of doing was completely blocking off all physical exits from the duel arena by removing the steps, and adding line of sight blockers around the perimeter so that people can't just use them for the aspects that I discussed, and then making the only possible way to get out of the duel pits is a few teleporters set up with a keyword and time delay (Probably about five to ten seconds) so that people can't use them to just jump out at people, but putting them back as safe zones, but they would be completely be isolated. Maybe some bankers would be in order for convenience, because the only way out of the duel pits would be use of the public moongate or by recalling.

As far as the AFKers are concerned, I'm sure we could get creative as a way to deal with them. I see jailing them as pointless, because what do they care? They're AFK anyways, which is just gonna be just what they do with their jail sentence. It just takes a creative mind to figure out what to do with them. I'm thinking a [set poison lethal, or simply kicking them out of the pits for the PK's to deal with might be in order. That way, you all could have your duel pits, spectate them, participate w/o getting ganked, and it wouldn't be so much of a temporary trammel. Just a separate aspect of UO that people might find a hard time abusing.

Obviously, the way of entering the duel arenas would be by use of the delucia location from a public moongate, or you could always just start up a duel. Just a thought. It still has some kinks to work out yet, but it's plausible.

sounds like a soloution that will make everyone happy. :)

Mara

Knight

I watch alot of duels at the the delucia moongate spot. Its close enough to the guard zone that if I get attacked its really not that big a deal for me, plus for reds its open enough for them to make a run for it too.

I had tried to have a few field fights with people who couldn't stop talking about themselves as a duelist. Neither could handle a template with hiding, cried about it, and found a way to kill me with friends and what not - and then looted when they said they wouldn't. I thought the definition of field fight was anything goes, you get to use all of your skills.

All of my characters are built for fielding solo, so I haven't spent any time dueling. But I do watch it. I've watched them before the change, and after. Since the change I have seen quite a few reds around the delucia moongate duelpit trying to get into fights. It's funny after all this time I had been angry at being ganked in dungeons by reds, but they actually seem to talk less shit and just fight whatever the odds. I have more respect for them every day.

As for dueling type practice, I generally recall out to Terra Sanctum. There are a few really open spots that are great for a 1vs1.

I didnt previously know that you couldn't even steal or anything in these combat-free zones. That is without a doubt the definition of trammel, but I can see how it is a great place to meet and talk to people to set up a fight or whatever. The only place I have felt really safe in the past is either hidden in my house (under the bed) or logged out. Thought that was the way it was supposed to be though.

Vizeroth

Sorceror

Opposing safezones for the sheer purpose of opposing safezones is just an asinine departure from logic.

Advent's solution sounds like a solid one.

mwjster

Sorceror

Zippy;1563666 said:
You know when I went to take all the safe zones down no one was dueling at any pit either. Your argument is stupid because *often* even under the old safezones there just weren't that many people dueling (and thus showing me no on is dueling at one second at some time during the day is meaningless).

But when Del Pond was SZ and was the hang out there was dueling going on all the time as well as field fights since no one could run back into SZ once engaged in a fight... i think you guys had it right the first time... all the people bitchin about people going AFK im sure were using the pits too because they had to get up and run to the bathroom or whatnot. Maybe its just me but as long as someone cant abuse the system by running to a SZ half way through a fight or because there redlined, it doesn't bother me that there are SZ...

Going with what heavy said about opinions from pvpers... i pvp alot and most of you probably know my toons but i like to keep in game and forums seperate, and this was my 2 cents... i dont get a big thrill out of killing AFK people anyway... It just seems like you guys took the time to make a great and original system and now your working towards making it difficult for people to use or enjoy

Lynyrd;1563681 said:
laughing hysterically at the duel pit babies crying for their trammel back

Responses like this are simply uncalled for and shows your lack of respect for anyone else's opinion except for your own. I do alot of field fighting and, under certain circumstances, alot of dueling (mostly at work when I am unable to field) as well. Just because people like the dueling system does not mean they are a "trammelite" or a "noob that can't field". What is fielding anyways? A bunch of kids in vent saying target that guy. That to me is not really pvp. I never pvp in a group when I am on the field.

Whether it is in the duel arena or on the field I am always alone and I take care of my own. (And if you know who I am you know this is the case.) Although most of the time I am outnumbered I still fight groups of people (Reasonably, I do not take on 5 vs 1 fights but more like 2-3 people).

Anyways what I was getting at here is that I like fielding as well as I like dueling. Most of you that appose the duel system are the same people you would never catch in a 1 vs 1 fight on the field. You forgot how to fight for yourself rather than relying on the help of another so you choose to rag on those people who just like to fight a relaxing 1 vs 1 fight.

Dueling is, in theory, the same concept as you people that faction for points. Duelers duel for rank. I do not duel for rank and could care less about it I just duel for fun because it appeals to me. Gives me a break from the ganking and the chasing someone half way across the map. You will also see a lot of duelers respecting each other A LOT more than you see on the field for example: someone kills you 10vs 1 on the field and says "haha fucking owned you faggot goat-breath your skillz aren't shit!" While a dueler gets done with a duel and says good fight.

As far as you saying "crying because they want their trammel back" the current system that was implemented is the exact same theory it just transports you to a small gated area until your next fight which just has no appeal to me. I don't know if I am just old fashioned or what but I liked how the system was originally set up when it was implemented.

I am also totally against gay marriage.

Advent

Wanderer

mwjster;1563936 said:
But when Del Pond was SZ and was the hang out there was dueling going on all the time as well as field fights since no one could run back into SZ once engaged in a fight... i think you guys had it right the first time... all the people bitchin about people going AFK im sure were using the pits too because they had to get up and run to the bathroom or whatnot. Maybe its just me but as long as someone cant abuse the system by running to a SZ half way through a fight or because there redlined, it doesn't bother me that there are SZ...

Going with what heavy said about opinions from pvpers... i pvp alot and most of you probably know my toons but i like to keep in game and forums seperate, and this was my 2 cents... i dont get a big thrill out of killing AFK people anyway... It just seems like you guys took the time to make a great and original system and now your working towards making it difficult for people to use or enjoy

Did you read my last post? That solution would provide a solution to prevent people from abusing the savezones by using it as a cover until they get a chance to get a first strike on their opponents, and allow people to fully utilize the duel system at the same time. The only real downsides of that idea that I can find so far is that AFKers would have to be dealt with by staff on a case-by-case basis, and accessibility would be limited by the players, as you would have to use a moongate to actually get to the duel areanas, or hop a spectator gate.

Advent;1563949 said:
Did you read my last post? That solution would provide a solution to prevent people from abusing the savezones by using it as a cover until they get a chance to get a first strike on their opponents, and allow people to fully utilize the duel system at the same time. The only real downsides of that idea that I can find so far is that AFKers would have to be dealt with by staff on a case-by-case basis, and accessibility would be limited by the players, as you would have to use a moongate to actually get to the duel areanas, or hop a spectator gate.

How did the original system allow people to abuse the safezone? I am just asking because I don't know I am not up on all this stuff as far as that goes. I do not faction myself but I know a friend who does nothing but faction and told me that factioneers were allowed to rack up points while sitting afk as he used to sit there day and night. What were the major issues that were posing the main problem?

By the way Advent, I know you are trying to help what is in the best interest of the player base and the ideas that everyone tosses around are more easily spoken than coded and implemented into the script and I respect the fact that you don't just come in here and say "we did what we wanted to and if you don't like it tough shit."

mwjster

Sorceror

Advent;1563949 said:

No i posted before i read the last page, your idea is good, it goes along with what i said about a coliseum, i don't know how overworked the staff is now, maybe you guys could take some consoler apps to help with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.