UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

peteliv

Knight
Re: Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

if you're that worried about it make your text hue the same as an explode pot timer and sometimes (not when you are throwing a pot) start saying 4
the person might dismount
if not
do it a few more times but one of the next times work a pot into it
and he usually wont be able to tell the difference and probably wont dismount
of course he might still call your shit and dismount then youd be better off running out of town lol

Yeah. of course only take one time for him to learn, then you're still gonna be boned XX

Cold Blood

Sorceror

alright i do rely on exp pots cuz i realise my weapon always cant do much in fightings(lil damg on dexxers and so low chance to hit on mages specailly the ones can use stun)

Kaplar

Sorceror

LKP;1964078 said:
I mentioned earlier in the thread a way to deal with dismounting to flag. This is just me brainstorming - I haven't thoroughly thought this out. My suggestion is that when a player is flagged to you, his pets are as well. This would include guild/faction/order/chaos loyalty, so that if you attack an orange player, his horse becomes orange to you as well. That way you're clear to attack the pet as long as you're already fighting the player... but you have to engage the player first before you can safely go after his mount.

Yes, seeing as we started here...

http://www.uogamers.com/forum/sugge...hould-not-able-call-guards-4.html#post1950070

Your proposal comes a really long way. I just found your other post in the sugg's:
LKP;1964991 said:
I've been thinking about the issue at hand here for a while, and I came up with a similar but slightly different solution. I would say the pet shouldn't always be the same color as the owner, but when he's flagged for combat it should. For example:

You see an orange at the bank. He has a blue pet next to him. Attacking the pet would make you criminal and get you guard whacked because the pet has nothing to do with you... but once you engage the orange, the pet becomes orange as well.

This should go for notoriety (grey if someone flags grey by attacking you) as well as faction/guild/order/chaos wars (pets are orange during combat with their masters).

This system ought to eliminate the possibility of dismounting to flag an alchemist, without creating the ability to grief someone by killing his mount when he's unable to defend it (like a thief's horse after the thief dies, or a red's horse since you're blue and the red couldn't kill you in town).

Now while I feel this is the ideal solution, the OP would be alright too, if less eloquent. There really isn't any reason a red should be standing around in town with his mount nearby, and people in wars are able to defend their pets already since the guy they're orange to is also orange to them. It has nothing to do with banksitting tamers, because they should always be blue anyway.

... and I replied there. I really like it. Given, I have no idea what it would take to implement that. One outstanding question I would have is : how to handle the rest of criminal flagging, besides combat?

oldskooluo

Sorceror

LKP;1924183 said:
Sorry I dropped the ball on this for a while. My computer needed reformatting and it took me a while to get the disks to make it work again. Anyway, I'm back.

I've read that article on "Playing to Win" that ksaz posted a page or three back. I'd read it once before, too, and it makes sense in some ways, especially for fighting games like the author uses in his examples. Let's discuss that for a little while.

I have a preferred playstyle. I love solo PKing, and I love playing a tank mage, even though I know neither of those things optimizes my chance to win. I think the best template on the shard is the alchy/stun mage, and I know that the bigger my group gets, the better able we'll be to take and hold ground and beat anybody out there by attrition. If I were playing to win, that's exactly what I'd do - I'd put together a giant group of alchy dexers and stun/alchy mages and just roll across the map in a flurry of purple potions.

Later on, the PvP discussion forum would be spammed with near-identical threads about why my group/guild sucks, none of us can 1v1, etc. And they'd be right. I wouldn't be selective about who could join my group, since the best way to get bigger is just to add everyone, and with purple potions the way they are I wouldn't have to worry about friendly fire from morons either.

Unfortunately, I do care about how I win just as much as that I win. If my opponent loses connection in the middle of a duel, and it's obvious that that's happened, I'll stop and wait until he gets back on and restart the fight. That probably makes me a scrub, because I care about more than winning.

As Ksaz said though, this is somewhat off-topic, because it doesn't matter if I'm a scrub, or if Melvin sucks or if Raserei and Heavy Smoker are the two greatest players ever to play UO.

I'm not suggesting that the best players are successful because they use alchemy. I'm saying that the best players use alchemy because it's the best skill.

I am not the best PvPer on this shard, or anywhere near it, but I'm decent. I don't expect I could beat any of the top 100 duelists on the shard 1v1, regardless of template. Still, I can hold my own. I win a lot more fights than I lose. Also, because I play a tank mage almost exclusively, I'm certainly a lot better at controlling a tank mage than any other template.

That said, I can say with 100% certainty that if it were possible for me playing a tank mage to fight myself playing a stun/alchy, the stun/alchy would win every time. Here's how it would go down:

The alchy casts reactive armor and archprotection, and puts on his vet robe and cloak. He keeps the tank poisoned (to force disarm), and continues to lob purple potions from a safe distance whenever possible. Once the tank has taken some damage and is preferably poisoned, the alchy loads explode, stuns him, and sets up a big combo. If the tank survives, a little harm spam with some exp pots mixed in will do the trick. Meanwhile, the tank hopes for a concussion blow to delay that big offense, but his hits are basically nullified by the alchy's defenses so he can only really set up a purely magery-based offense.

The only way the tank is going to win is by chance. If the alchy continuously fails to stun, or if a lucky concussion blow gets in there, or if the alchemist runs out of purple potions, only then does the tank gain any sort of advantage. All these parameters are beyond the tank's control, and as such fall strictly under the category of luck.

Luck aside, the tank will not win. I say that's true of me as a player who knows tanks much better than alchies. I'm willing to bet it's true of everyone.

Is there anyone here who honestly thinks you on a tank mage could beat you on an alchy/stun mage at least half the time?

I submit that there is not. And therein lies the problem.

"Playing to Win" also talks about good games and bad ones. As you play at higher levels, does UO become deeper or shallower? Do you eventually figure out counters to the "cheap" moves, and counters to those counters? Or do you find that there really are moves with no legitimate counters?

The interesting thing about UO is that it's dynamic. It's not Street Fighter, released as it was and unchanged for years, which both allowed and forced players to master it as is. It's dynamic, and ever-changing with patches and publishes. You can never stay a master of this game for long, because the game can change and force you to learn it all over again.

Right now, I feel that the game needs to change if it's to be great, because there are moves that you will never find good counters to. There are moves that are designed to have no counters, and that's piss-poor design.

couldnt have been stated better friend, any who would attempt to refute your clarity is both ignorant and afraid of truth

EvilJawa

Wanderer

i have played uo ever since before t2a, and i have to say ive never encountered anything so unbalanced as the alchy spam that seems to plague this server... i wish i could state it better than than it already has, or say something that hasnt already been said but in my humble opinion, it really needs a fix.

godmathias

Wanderer

Its funny how many people agree with this thread, and it has been this way for a long time. I am another one of those people who is surprised to come back to this game and nothing has been done about this...

Im not raging against any of the players, they are taking advantage of something that can be taken advantage of, nothing wrong with that... the best players are still gonna be the best players. The problem is I don't really like to play Alchy/stun... i like scribe mages, heal mages, and mostly tank mages. Alchemy puts any class without alchemy at a major disadvantage. It is by far the best skill in the game and not having it is a MAJOR disadvantage.There are a lot of things that could be done to still make it an effective skill but level the playing field...

-Increase time between throwing pots
-Lower dmg from high 20's to mid-high teens
-not being able to cancel pots after arming and then rearming right before throwing.

and many more...

It seems there may be a majority opposed to it. Is there any possibility of change in the foreseeable future? Is there anything we could do? Vote? Does anybody actually ever look at or attempt to implement suggestions?

Come on Ryan.

Rampent

Wanderer

Seriously PVP has gone to sh*t on this server. There is absolutely no diversity. I don't understand how all the GMs can ignore this. They won't let posts go through to the discussion board about pots. Is this cause they don't pvp?

Snake Eye

Wanderer

Bump for importance!

Loved the initial post, the other posts i didnt bother to read as the first post explains it all to well..

How long have purple pots pushed away other other templates in the field without the gms doing anything about them?

If i missed some official GM post saying why purple pots have to stay as the dominant pvp style then plz link it, cuz honstely i'm baffled why the purple pots haven't been put down yet..

Think even the alchy stun/dex monkeys have to agree it would be nice to go back to what UO is about: A bag of regs for the mages and a weapon + bandies for a dexer.

Woof

Wanderer

Rampent;1967909 said:
Seriously PVP has gone to sh*t on this server. There is absolutely no diversity. I don't understand how all the GMs can ignore this.

AMEN !!!!

change it please!

jimmydude

Wanderer

pvp is definetly sucking ass. lets nuke some shit and get people hunting in dungeons again. and actually fix the pots, ive noticed now they do damage to surrounding blues and shit but who cares. the only poeple who wanted that are the fags who sit at bank and pvp once a day when a random red runs into town. lets get rid of all the trammel faggots. i dont care if the shard has only 300 players on inestead of 900, if all 300 play. right now we probably have on average maybe 300 people. probably 100 people play, the other 200 sit on all 4 accounts 24/7 waiting for pixels and make up the other 800 chars that are online....

jimmydude

Wanderer

so my question is why is the shard geared towards these 200 faggots who sit at bank running multis??

Road Dogg

Wanderer

This thread is old....if they didn't do anything about it in July what makes you think talking about it now is going to fix it? hopefully they are in the process of fixing it...

conan-hybrid

Wanderer

why is this thread being bumped, why are we even asking the gms anything. The GMs have made it very clear that they are in charge, this isn' t a democracy and they keep a strong separation between the general player community and the elite inner circle deciding hybrid's direction.

If you want changes made, you need to run your own server with your different rules. Hell if you made a hybrid like server without the gay purple pot rules and some decent pvm me and my 4 active friends will join in a second.

Road Dogg

Wanderer

conan-hybrid;2009459 said:
why is this thread being bumped, why are we even asking the gms anything. The GMs have made it very clear that they are in charge, this isn' t a democracy and they keep a strong separation between the general player community and the elite inner circle deciding hybrid's direction.

If you want changes made, you need to run your own server with your different rules. Hell if you made a hybrid like server without the gay purple pot rules and some decent pvm me and my 4 active friends will join in a second.

5player base woot

Sprint-

Wanderer

conan-hybrid;2009459 said:

conan-hybrid

Amazonia

Sorceror

Seriously, how many people on this shard enjoy these pots? Only those who are known for being good at it, which is a LOW population of people, and basically, the only reason they want to keep it around is because they don't want to lose their mastery title for pots. There are thousands of players to satisfy, I don't think there is just the 20-30 ''Forumers'' of the shard that shall be satisfied.

I don't think those who are against the pots are necessarly whining, I don't think those who aren't good on a shard without the explo pot problem whine about their dominant template.

On this shard a strong pvper is 20 times stronger than a weak pvper when he should be 10 times stronger than the weak one, more challenge, more fun, less boring to play for everyone.