UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'
Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

Publish 15 is a great era to emulate because there is such a variety of combat templates that work:

Scribe mages.
Nox mages.
Alchy mages.
Tank mages.
Healer mages.
Stun mages.
Stealth mages.
Thief mages.
Archer mages.
Med warriors.
Eval warriors
Parry warriors.
Pure warriors.
Alchy warriors.
Axers.
Pure thieves.
Disarm thieves.

I embrace that diversity. I think it's awesome that I can go out on the field, or in the duel pits, or in an event, and fight against such a great variety of different opponents. A lot of PvPers are with me on this - they've all got tank mages, or archer mages, or healer mages, or scribes. But they've got those characters tucked away in their third or fourth accounts, and they only come out when they play with a ruleset that forbids purple potions. Meanwhile they'll all continue to play their alchy mages and alchy dexers, because those are the most effective templates.

I think that speaks volumes. Why do the diverse templates only come out when alchemy is forbidden? Maybe because they're too busy getting mowed down from a screen and a half away for 30+ damage every 3 seconds. The following is a short list of things that are wrong with purple potions:

1) There's no risk in using them around innocents due to the senseless new AoE rules.

2) They need 0 skill points to use, 100 to use with full effect... and do damage comparable to a GM halberd in the hands of a character with 300 skill points devoted to its use.

3) They don't count as physical or magical damage, meaning:
a) Armor has no effect on them.
b) Resist has no effect on them.
c) Parry has no effect on them.
d) They can't be reflected.

4) They can be used without a free hand, unlike all other potions.

5) They can be thrown while moving.

6) They can be cancelled during their prep time, then reactivated, effectively nullifying their prep time.

7) They're basically heatseekers. If thrown at the right time, they will always hit a moving target.

8) Because of #5 and 7, they have an effective range much, much larger than that of archery or magery.

9) They cost neither mana nor stamina to use.

10) They lack any kind of cooldown timer. You can throw one every 3 or 4 seconds.

Put that all together and you've got an ultra-long range, hands-free, rapid-fire weapon that can't miss, can't be resisted, can't be absorbed, can't be parried, can't be reflected, and does damage over time comparable to well-equipped dex munky fighting someone with no weapon skill. Putting a stop to any one of the above conditions would be a step toward balancing these things. There have been numerous suggestions, and this has been debated for years. Hell, even on Divinity, a UOGamers shard, purple potions were balanced by making the potions count down an extra second after landing, so hitting a moving target actually required you to lead it, as it should.

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here. Many players have become so dependent on purple potions that they don't have a clue what to do without them. You'll recognize these players when they reply with ludicrous arguments or flames saying "They're fine, l2p." (The irony there is astounding, by the way.) Others simply don't care anymore, or never did. Even so, as many times as this has been mentioned and ignored before, I think rebalancing these things deserves some thought.

Discuss.

MadeInQuebec

Forum Member of the Year 2008
Re: Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

I never cared about them, but I always care about well written posts, and LKP is certainly illustrious in that area.

nfef

Wanderer

I'm actually surprised that alchemy dominance is still around.

I just started playing here again this week after over a year gone and it was the same way when I left.. I figured something would have been done about it by now.

MadeInQuebec;1916056 said:
I never cared about them, but I always care about well written posts, and LKP is certainly illustrious in that area.

That may be because you do not pvp "or play uo for that matter", or are simply gay.

orange thing

Wanderer

nfef;1916063 said:
I'm actually surprised that alchemy dominance is still around.

I just started playing here again this week after over a year gone and it was the same way when I left.. I figured something would have been done about it by now.

No kidding, dude. I left for a year too, due to a new job requiring more of my time. I came back two weeks ago thinking for sure somebody would have been at least half smart about that and kind of evened them out. I was disappointed seeing their existence was still here. Definite -10, Hybrid.

Other than that big black dot right on the forehead of Hybrid, this truly is a kickass shard that offers quite a variety.

okaygo

Wanderer

I agree, this is one of the reasons I feel PvP is quite broken.

The Monarch

Knight

LKP;1916053 said:
1) There's no risk in using them around innocents due to the senseless new AoE rules.

4) They can be used without a free hand, unlike all other potions.

I agree completely. These are the biggest things wrong with purple pots. I cant believe they dont damage innocents in the area now. That makes absolutely no sense to me. In a word: trammelized. If they were put back to when they did area damage to innocents I would be happy. Being able to be thrown while wielding a two handed weapon doesnt make much sense but its always been like that. But they always used to do area damage to innocents. I cant believe that shit was changed. Totally Trammelized.

orange thing

Wanderer

travis-hybrid;1916106 said:
I agree completely. These are the biggest things wrong with purple pots. I cant believe they dont damage innocents in the area now. That makes absolutely no sense to me. In a word: trammelized. If they were put back to when they did area damage to innocents I would be happy. Being able to be thrown while wielding a two handed weapon doesnt make much sense but its always been like that. But they always used to do area damage to innocents. I cant believe that shit was changed. Totally Trammelized.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it's the presence of purple potions that are shocking. I think it's the immortal ruleset that comes with them.

It's honestly just laughable when I get into the field and someone lugs one at me. I don't even bother fighting them majority of the time.

I'm ashamed to say in the two weeks I've been back with the heavy amount of pvping I've been doing every evening, there has been one fight where my opponent didn't lob potions at me. He was a tank macer. Ultimately, I killed him after quite a long fight in Moonglow woods. But I resurrected him and thanked him for the only good fight I've had since I can remember with Hybrid. Unshockingly, he also thanked me of the same thing.

If they are treated like other potions, where a free hand is required, accompanied by the logical ruleset of them effecting everyone in range, it would just... make sense... I was also a big fan of the random timer, so a solid fool-proof macro wasn't always possible. That's where lobbing purples took... do I care? "Skill." But what do I know? I'm just an average player. :(

The Monarch

Knight

Nicely versed. And you know all these changes was done for factioners. But I say its bullshit.

The Monarch

Knight

spooj;1916115 said:
Bola tamers...

Bola tamers have weaknesses tho... Bond yourself a mount and you're remounted in two seconds. Wear good AR armor and the mare cant eat you as fast. etc.

orange thing

Wanderer

travis-hybrid;1916112 said:
Nicely versed. And you know all these changes was done for factioners. But I say its bullshit.

I see no way shape or form how that makes it any different. It's something that shouldn't exist period, whether it's factions or the regular blue/red fighter who solos at Brit GY in the evenings.

UO has always had a logical, evenly balanced foundation. There's pros and cons to every single template available. I just don't see the cons with a purple lobber if there's no risk at getting wacked by an -area- potion.

[e sigh

At least I have memories. :p

The Monarch

Knight

Yeah i totally hear you on all that man. I hope its changed back, but atleast i still gotz me memories...

orange thing

Wanderer

travis-hybrid;1916131 said:
Yeah i totally hear you on all that man. I hope its changed back, but atleast i still gotz me memories...

I kinda forget how things are around here... But I guess tossing up a poll questioning this wouldn't do any good, eh?

I can just see it being locked and deleted insta-guard wack style.

The Monarch

Knight

Yeah I dont know exactly how long ago this trammy shit was implemented but im sure there already was a good share of gripes by players like us that was subsequently ignored by the admins. I just needed to get my share of griping in i guess cuz i know more than likely its going to stay the way it is.

orange thing

Wanderer

travis-hybrid;1916141 said:
Yeah I dont know exactly how long ago this trammy shit was implemented but im sure there already was a good share of gripes by players like us that was subsequently ignored by the admins. I just needed to get my share of griping in i guess cuz i know more than likely its going to stay the way it is.

I wonder just how many people out there actually hate it, but just use it so they have a better chance in the field since everybody and their grandmother use them too. More times than not it's what kills me. But what can I do when I don't always have a house to run around and avoid it?

Sad face.