UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

Paracelsus

Sorceror
Re: Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

Actually, I have two pure dexxers. Both without magery and GM resisting.

One is the nox fencer. He has no problem in surviving in the mage world. His fast spear and DP war fork has killed a lot of mages and tamer. But, without the shield, he is not man enough to be a warrior. :)

The one easily be killed by mage is the parry warrior. Her skill is mace, anat, tact, parry, heal, resist and hiding. Unless the mage did not bring potion and do not teleport out, I don't think he has any chance in winning the match. ^^

Paracelsus

Sorceror

wkstrm;1924827 said:
I don't think you will have much use of a 7x pure melee char. Btw, what would such a character look like? Skillwise I mean.
My parry warrior is mainly act as my symbol warrior.
I will use it to fight multiple dexxers (they can't kill me) or 1 vs 1 tank mage (who don't cast para). If fighting stun mage, 110% chance loss.

Kaliron

Wanderer

Paracelsus;1924868 said:
Actually, I have two pure dexxers. Both without magery and GM resisting.

One is the nox fencer. He has no problem in surviving in the mage world. His fast spear and DP war fork has killed a lot of mages and tamer. But, without the shield, he is not man enough to be a warrior. :)

The one easily be killed by mage is the parry warrior. Her skill is mace, anat, tact, parry, heal, resist and hiding. Unless the mage did not bring potion and do not teleport out, I don't think he has any chance in winning the match. ^^

I noticed your Parry Warrior has hiding. I find this a little out of place seeing as a true warrior would not hide from anyone.. nor wait in the shadows to attack. He would come riding over the hill screaming at the top of his lungs as he rides into battle.

Perhaps swap Hiding and Macing for Fencing and Poisoning., You could then have your True Warrior who may stand a chance against mages :)

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

There's really not much use in having poisoning on your warrior... you can just have a mule pre-poison a few weapons for you... but we're getting off the subject. Dexers aren't so disadvantaged as you seem to think. Alchy dexers are a bigger problem than alchy mages right now. You can look in the PvP forums or hell, even on youtube, and find videos of alchy dexers taking out 3 or 4 mages at a time without breaking a sweat. Something needs to be done about alchemy, and I'm going to make that poll we talked about 10 pages ago (lol), but this thread needs to be readily visible so voters can make informed decisions.

elros

Sorceror

I play a bola tamer and will tell you that it is much more balanced especially 1 v 1 if my opponent knows what they are doing - however certainly there is a learning curve as there should be. I won't tell you what to do - you will have to figure it out yourself... This fact is reflected in the game by the relative scarcity of bola tamers compared to alchy templates.

Alchy is very much in need of "rebalancing" as has been posted so many times before. I am making this post in hopes that the admins will finally see the will of the people. No need to get rid of it, just do the following:

- require at least one hand free to throw the pot.

- make the aoe affect all players in range.

- allow shield use to block damage, scaled to the parry skill.

- require a cooldown period as is done with heal pots.

This still allows players to do alchy combos which requires a lot of skill and also allows players to use purple pots to finish their opponents. What it mainly prevents is being spammed with purple pots at least 1 v 1 which I believe is the core of the problem.

LKP

I have posted a poll in the suggestion box. I have decided to do the poll in two phases:

1. Determine whether the majority feels any changes should be made at all.
2. Identify the best course of action, according to popular opinion.

I am waiting for the first poll to be approved, then I will link to it from this thread and allow it to run for a while before creating the second.

Paracelsus

Sorceror

elros;1927620 said:
- allow shield use to block damage, scaled to the parry skill.

I love this idea. :)
If the shield has a few chance to make the pot bounce back, it gives uncertainty to the thrower.

Paracelsus

Sorceror

Kaliron;1925243 said:
I noticed your Parry Warrior has hiding. I find this a little out of place seeing as a true warrior would not hide from anyone.. nor wait in the shadows to attack. He would come riding over the hill screaming at the top of his lungs as he rides into battle.

Perhaps swap Hiding and Macing for Fencing and Poisoning., You could then have your True Warrior who may stand a chance against mages :)

My hiding is not to attack from shadow. If I want to do so, I will use either fencing or archery. The main use of my hiding is to hide from the repeating para since I cannot cast magic trap or reflect after all the trapped pouch used up. :(

If the hiding skill has to be swapped, I will choose alchemy with mace. In fact, alchemy + macer + magery is very powerful...

In my case, macer + ping of 2xx ms - it is just a joke to most mage with ping of a few ten ms.

Paracelsus

Sorceror

LKP - Have the poll start?
I cannot wait to poll for this.
1. Yes
2. Use parrying to balance it (since parrying is really the most suck skill here).

Alchy.... such a contraversial fighting style. I've lobbed my own fair share of pots in my day. I love alchemy but i understand that there are certain aspects of it that are a bit overpowered. If that wasn't true then everyone and their mother wouldn't have an alchamist.

Balancing skills is always a tricky matter and should always be done with a very light touch. The only change i would suggest to alchamy is that pots should be considered an aoe once more. They should damage anyone that's in the area near the explosion. Uo is all about risk vs reward, since everyone has an alchamist make it more risky to be one. It would really show the skilled alchamists vs the shitty ones.

I liked it better that way anyways, nothing like blowing 2 people up with one explode pot.

This change would encourage a more diverse play style
This change would encourage more red pvp which i understand has been lacking as of late
This change would make it harder to play alchamists (primarily those alchy dexers that are easy as pie to play, i understand that alchy mages go pretty deep...)
It would encourage more solo pvp on the alchie part (noone likes being the target of a friendly's alchy pot)
It would encourage more teamwork on the part of the alchamist to not blow up his own guildies

What are the cons of this?

Harder to throw pots in town ( but the really good players won't have a real problem doing it)
accidentily blowing up friendly's with a gernade like projectile (which can also be a good side if you are a sick fuck like i am)

LKP

Paracelsus;1927666 said:
LKP - Have the poll start?
I cannot wait to poll for this.
1. Yes
2. Use parrying to balance it (since parrying is really the most suck skill here).

Using a single skill to counter another single skill doesn't create true balance. It creates rock-paper-scissors "balance." Sure, it would be great for your parry warrior, but what about the other templates that don't have room for parrying? While parrying could use a little love, that's a different topic. I'd much rather see a counter to alchemy that is available to everyone, much as everyone can disrupt a spell.

jessen13

Sorceror

Wouldn't it be nice to have the m make some changes to game so we could see some shit other than alchemy based pvp? We had a few good years on Hybrid without all this stun/alchy stuff. We desperately need to change things up a lil.

oldskooluo

Sorceror

exp pot needs a timer on par with the cool down for heals, keep damage same, and cause disarm/re-arm like drinking any other pot for swing time reset to mellow out dexxers, who are prob already wailing you with a blessed runic

Demonic-Cats

Wanderer

The recent AoE changes were good, but there needs to be either a cooldown timer or free hand to throw rule. Either or, not both.

LKP

It's interesting to see this thread back on the front page after a couple of months of inactivity. I reread the entire thread this morning, and there are some really good quotes in it. It was a good read.

The poll I submitted to the suggestion box did not get approved because changes were clealy already under consideration by the staff. They decided to bring back the original AoE rules. I thank them for that, and I think this is going to prove a very good thing for the shard.

I've gotten relatively little practice against alchemists lately. I've found that I can take down average to good alchy mages with reasonable difficulty. Very good alchemists are still pretty unbeatable for me. I haven't seen any alchy dexers lately, but I suspect the only way things would be different with them is if I happened to be fighting one in town.

At any rate, it may be a bit soon to call for further change. While the AoE change was not specific to alchemy, it certainly did affect it. And, it seems like it was exactly the change most of us were calling for. Even I listed it first amongst the issues I perceived.

I say we stay the course a while and see how things go. It's still very early.

Has anyone, especially those of you who foresaw it as a problem, had any problems with griefers abusing the AoE rules?

PtO_Punx

Sorceror

LKP;1916053 said:
Publish 15 is a great era to emulate because there is such a variety of combat templates that work:

Scribe mages.
Nox mages.
Alchy mages.
Tank mages.
Healer mages.
Stun mages.
Stealth mages.
Thief mages.
Archer mages.
Med warriors.
Eval warriors
Parry warriors.
Pure warriors.
Alchy warriors.
Axers.
Pure thieves.
Disarm thieves.

theres still a couple you left out.

Stun thieves
Stun/Disarm thieves
Warrior thieves
Nox dexxers

i wouldnt be surprised if there were still one or 2 left out.

Mara

Knight

LKP;1964007 said:
Has anyone, especially those of you who foresaw it as a problem, had any problems with griefers abusing the AoE rules?

I've had a number of issues where people will use their friends to jump into your pots on purpose so they can gank. They will hang around letting their friends throw pots, but as soon as you throw one, they move into it.

Also had plenty of issues where people hop of the mount in guardzone.

Really tough to kill good players in town. Nice to not have groups of blues tossing pots like crazy though.

Cooldown thing would probably be too extreme, considering the shard doesn't have a good solution for being able to kill someone who runs away. Swing timer thing is interesting, but I hope people consider that wrestling often requires two hands, so that would/should affect nearly everyone. Would completely alter pot combos though, so I doubt it would ever happen the way I would have it. This one time, at band camp, Chuck Lidell tried to throw an explosion pot with a stun punch, but it took too long, so it hit my flute...

Kaplar

Sorceror

It's interesting to see this thread now after the AoE adjustment. The templates in LKP's original post are starting to sprout around and you see more and more diversity on the field.

LKP;1964007 said:
The dismount act to get pots to hit the mount is getting a bit old, for those of us who still use alchy. But, thinking logically about it, I am not yet sure how I truly feel yet.

LKP

I mentioned earlier in the thread a way to deal with dismounting to flag. This is just me brainstorming - I haven't thoroughly thought this out. My suggestion is that when a player is flagged to you, his pets are as well. This would include guild/faction/order/chaos loyalty, so that if you attack an orange player, his horse becomes orange to you as well. That way you're clear to attack the pet as long as you're already fighting the player... but you have to engage the player first before you can safely go after his mount.

I AGREE with LKP on this matter, maybe not on all, on this i do. Once u flag someone/engage them in combat, let their mount be flagged also-like in factions. I second this.