UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

roach557

Traveler
Re: Hybrid is great because it's so diverse.

Why is it that the people who complain about exp pots are the ones who can't actually use them?

Do you trams realise that your beloved 'tank' mage takes 0 skill, hell a disabled toddler with 3 fingers could even 'master' it.

I don't get what's stopping you from using diverse templates anyways. Sure alchy stun is better in the hands of a half decent player, but if all those other templates are 'skilled' and can kill people, why not just use them?

Really the problem now is that everyone offscreens and chugs potions like water, now back in the days of OSI UO, people had honor and would not/rarely pot meaning all those old templates were actually viable for killing people. Nowadays when you actually find a newbie that only carries regs, they literally die in seconds because everyone now knows exactly what to do and/or template to use.

Snake Eye

Wanderer

Pots aren't hard to "master" They are piss easy. Takes like 1 keg to master. Everyone can do it, hence why you see so many brave souls using it. Purple pots makes you kill people, people you normally would have no chance of killing. That doesn't mean the system is wrong cause you need pots to actually kill someone, it just means you suck at pvp and resort to purple pot trowing to compensate for that.

And i don't care if people don't want to play the game like we all used to.. its a private server so we are at the mercy of the gms that control it. But tone down the purple pots some and perhaps you will see people returning to duelling pits and/or training their dumping skills cause they need to tune up their pvp skills, instead of people running around not improving their fighting skills cause the pot does it all for them.

Bola tamers are a lame template but they use up 2 gm skills, a mount that can be stolen and 1k a bola to have any chance of substaining their build..Even though i hate fighting them, atleast when i manage to kill them i have a chance of really making it cost them(new mare+bolas) When i kill a pot trowing guy, they just have to run back to their keg and they are set to go again. And imo they are both equally lethal. Both have an unfair atvantage when you try and flee their ridiculous dmg output(mares kill you when you are on foot and pots will heatseek your ass)

If we all mastered pot trowing, i think we will kill pvp personal skill as a whole on this server. I mean c'mon, a dexmonkey who trows pots.. takes less skill to open the game then to play a char like that.

Amazonia

Sorceror

roach557;2009571 said:
Why is it that the people who complain about exp pots are the ones who can't actually use them?

Do you trams realise that your beloved 'tank' mage takes 0 skill, hell a disabled toddler with 3 fingers could even 'master' it.

I don't get what's stopping you from using diverse templates anyways. Sure alchy stun is better in the hands of a half decent player, but if all those other templates are 'skilled' and can kill people, why not just use them?

Really the problem now is that everyone offscreens and chugs potions like water, now back in the days of OSI UO, people had honor and would not/rarely pot meaning all those old templates were actually viable for killing people. Nowadays when you actually find a newbie that only carries regs, they literally die in seconds because everyone now knows exactly what to do and/or template to use.

Why is that the people who complain about exp pots are the ones who can't actually use them? Hmm I guess I can use them, sucks that I complain about it right?

I don't think tank mages take 0 skill, it's something that everyone can use like you said, and that's what makes a balanced pvp, the fun is for everyone and not just for 5-10 people on the shard.

Why not using other templates? Because you can't beat a good pvper with another template (except bola tamer but it's gay or alchy dex but it's luck/gay as well.), ''ooh i remember killing this super good pvper with a heal stun charrr omg ur so wrong amazonia'' really? How many times in 100 fights? 2 or 3 times?

Everyone offscreens? Back in the days people had honors, i guess they did not have any problems with potions because seems like nobody were offscreening?

Doug502

Wanderer

Ok, first, how does tossing purple pots make you have skill as opposed to using another template? And then to not only border on the ridiculous, you actually cross it and say that it takes no skill to play the OTHER template?!?!
Please!

It takes roughly the same skill for EVERY template out there......BUTTON PUSHING.

Some [templates] may be overly powerful and it seems imbalanced but, you see what happened when OSI started worrying about balancing everything out. The game went to shit because it never stops, one group gets nerfed and then everyone is happy, nope. Then another group rises to the top and then everyone bitches about them and then they get nerfed, and so on and so on until the game is, well.......like OSI.

And I am with Amazonia on this one, I highly doubt that all players play at the same time, yea, the average is 900 or so but thats also multis included there. BUT, I am quite certain there are well over a thousand players who inhabit this game at one time or another.

And lastly, why is offscreening considered "not honorable"?
The whole point to field PvP is SURVIVAL. If you dont survive then you lose, its that simple and in the field its all wins and losses, there is no middle ground. You want no offscreening? Go to the duel pits, thats what they are for.
I mean really, you cant chase someone off the screen? Chase their asses and kill them, if they are running for the screen border then obviously they have taken some damage and are trying to regroup, what better time to lay into them?

I dont really like the purples, it aint really my thing, I dont use them. I get killed in PvP more than someone using a alchy template, I am certain, but I also win too sometimes. A alchy can be beaten by a dexxer or a tank, it just takes longer. Christ, just play the fucking game and have fun and stop bitching about it like it affects your home life or something. And if it does affect you in your home life then trust me, you need a break from the game for a while.....lol.
Just my .02

D

eltaco

Sorceror

LKP;1916053 said:
7) They're basically heatseekers. If thrown at the right time, they will always hit a moving target.

lol so true when i told my little brother about this he laughted w a lol-no-for real face

Woof

Wanderer

people defending that pot trowing doesnt give you a huge advantage in a fight are just ignorant and people trying to defend that i does take skill are just a joke..read first post again okthanksbye!

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

The reason this got bumped is because someone made a "best of 2009" thread and I linked to this thread because I thought it was one of the best discussions we had all year. Yes, I did start the thread, and I self-nominated it.

I'm seeing a lot of discussion about "skill" in this thread. It's always difficult to have a meaningful conversation about skill because everyone has his own conception of it. If we're not working from a universal definition, then we might all be saying some contradictory things that are nonetheless all true. Therefore, I'd like to attempt to define it before getting into it.

For me, "skill" is about options. The more options you have, the more opportunities you have to make a mistake. It's easy to always choose the correct spell when you only have two spells available to you. Magery in UO has 64 spells, about half of which are useful in ordinary PvP situations. And even among the handful of direct damage spells, there is usually one that is best to use in a given situation. Using harm instead of magic arrow or lightning instead of energy bolt can be the difference between victory and defeat. Knowing which to use and when to use it, and making the decision before the opportunity passes, are all aspects of "skill." Therefore, while you may just be "pushing buttons," it's more about which button you push and when you push it.

It's difficult to phrase, but I would define player skill as "the ability to rapidly decide the best course of action among all possible choices." And that definition means that the amount of skill increases with both the number of options one has, and the speed with which he makes his choices. This leaves us wanting something though, because one can clearly be very successful without having any skill by this definition. It is possible to simply emulate skillful players and have at least some measure of success. It also implies that we know all our options, when many players do not even know what their characters are capable of these days. Still, I think it's a pretty good start.

And it's a working model for a discussion of why it takes more skill to play a mage than a dexer - it's the number of things going through your mind, the number of decisions you have to make, and when you have to make them.

For example: A pure mage on the field needs to always monitor his mana. He needs to determine whether he has enough mana to finish off an enemy, or needs to back off adn save some for healing. He needs to decide which spell to use and when to use it. He can only move, heal, or attack one at a time, so he must also decide which is which. Some evidence of this: a good mage will stand his ground against a lumberjack and time his spells between swings of the weapon. A bad one will run a short distance before stopping to cast, allowing the axe's swing timer to reset and essentially giving the lumberjack a free shot at him. The list goes on.

Pure warriors on the other hand can move, attack, and heal all at the same time. Against other warriors they have some more involved decisions such as whether to use "joust" or "sticky" melee, which weapon to use, and which type of armor to wear. Against mages the same conditions are always true so a warrior can fight every mage the same way - maximize speed, minimize distance. Healing is always simple: if you don't have a bandage ticking already, start one. This does become more complex when combined with potions and/or magery, as timing becomes a decisive factor. Overall, warriors have fewer choices than mages do. And many of a warrior's choices, such as what armor to wear and which weapons to carry, can be made slowly and carefully, not in the heat of battle.

Thus you can clearly see by the above definition that it takes less skill to master a warrior than a mage, both in number of options and rapidity of decision. But how would you fill out the rest of a hierarchy of classes?

Some would say that tank mages take less skill than pure mages because they are more forgiving. If you run out of mana, you are not "dead in the water;" you still have your weapons to afford you some options until you can get your mana back. There is some truth there, but I would say that tank mages go pretty damn near the top, above pure mages. This is because tanks have so many options available to them, and are so easy to make mistakes with, particularly on a server which lacks "insta-swing." You must not only make all the on-the-fly decisions of a mage and all those of a warrior, but also a number of unique ones such as precasting and choosing your approach to a particular target (melee vs. magery).

I would place alchy/stun templates high as well. They are more complex than pure mages, and stun can require some thought. Timing is crucial when using involved combo attacks and resource management becomes even more critical than it is for a pure mage. And thanks to the original AOE rules being reinstated, potions must be thrown with care. Still, some alchemists treat potions as warriors do bandaids: If one's not already ticking, get one started. There is no skill in prancing around in circles and spamming potions, but it can be effective.

I am hesitant to say which template requires more skill to master. They are both fairly complex and have some of the same pro's (not useless without mana) and con's (still can't heal while moving, light armor, etc.). But I can say that it takes more skill to be effective with a tank mage than with an alchy mage, and that brings us to our next point: Balance.

Balance is another issue which needs to be defined. Some players might consider "rock paper scissors" to be a balanced game. They would be perfectly happy in a world where axers always beat mages, mages always beat fencers, and fencers always beat axers. But even though that's a stable order of things and every template seems to have as many advantages as disadvantages, can we really call it balance? I certainly wouldn't call it fun.

I believe balance exists when any PvP template can beat any other PvP template in a 1v1 situation, dependant on player skill as defined above. If you make no mistakes, you should be able to survive indefinitely. Every attack should have at least one legitimate counter that's available to each opponent. I believe we discussed counter-tactics at length earlier in the thread and found them to be somewhat lacking for purple potions and non-existant for stun punches.

And that's a problem. If you have a balanced game where players can keep up the fight until someone makes a critical mistake, then you add a single unblockable move, what's going to happen? Obviously the most successful players will be the ones who take advantage of that unblockable move, and whoever executes it first is going to win. This could still be considered highly skilled - it fits our definition as the best possible course of action among all options, and incorporates speed as well. The more skilled player will use that technique first because he is faster. Therefore, in this situation the most skilled player will always win. This is somewhat less simple in an online game where latency is as much a factor in speed as skill is.

But although the game is still skill-based, it is not balanced unless that move is available to everyone on all templates. And even if it is, since it lacks variety, it will quickly become boring. We need variety to keep the game interesting. Therefore, we need to maintain balance among all templates.

Due to the nature of melee in UO, warriors will never be as complex as mages. Combining the two or adding abilities from a third option will create still more complex characters. And these more complex characters will thus take more skill to master. We cannot change that. But we can change the degree to which the game is balanced among these different classes, regardless of the level of skill it takes to play them. I think that should be our goal.

So let's forget about the question of skill and focus on the question of balance, shall we? I've submitted that purple potions are unbalanced because there are not sufficient counters available to their intended targets. Of all the counters I've seen suggested, I have already evaluated some. "Charging the thrower" is not a counter because it still requires the target to take full damage. "Breaking the line of sight" is insufficient because there are a number of situations, including all organized pit fights, where that's impossible. "Pot kicking" isn't possible against perfectly-timed pots, and requires either client modifications or automating aspects of it to be done with an degree of success.

So what else ya got? I'm waiting for one of you pro-potion PvP masters to show me a counter I haven't disected yet or suggest one that could be implimented to restore balance without a nerf.

SDJurczak

Wanderer

"tbh a glass potion of explosion should damage instead of being magically knocked back by a magic reflection. And resisted? how exactly do you resist a glass potion of explosion?"

How exactly is one man going to make the earth quake, or shoot lightning and fire from his hands while mumbling words?

That is a low blow considering I love the realism in this game. How about this.. The potion is magically imbued when crafted, making it so magic reflection shoots the damage (not the glass), right back at you. The shield can repel it because, well, use common sense.

I personally think, even though this will never happen, you slow the speed in which potions soar through the air. With that, you can use a faster casted spell to shoot the potion out of the air.

Weird and clumsy theory, but it's just an idea. Try this on for size..

Bring back the stamina for horses, nerf the damage for explosion potions and increase the cooldowns for cure/heal potions. With that, reds would do a majority of their pvp in houses, making gates the hot spot again. With that, reds wouldn't need mounts. Blues have guard zones, reds have houses. As for the issue with bola tamers, let them sick their 7x mare on the reds as they lure it into the house.

Make warhorses have no stamina, like now, and that solves the problem for factions being so mobile. They won't have to worry about bola tamers any more than they would now.

I'm only on page 6 of this post, and explosion potions have since been somewhat nerfed but are still a must in field and pit matches (depending).

Potions would still be viable, depending on the damage/cooldown nerfs. Obviously make Alchy still somewhat viable, but it's too strong right now.

I remember a time of constant gate pvp and chuggers being laughed at unless you were being ganked.

SDJurczak

Wanderer

SDJurczak;2010516 said:
"tbh a glass potion of explosion should damage instead of being magically knocked back by a magic reflection. And resisted? how exactly do you resist a glass potion of explosion?"

How exactly is one man going to make the earth quake, or shoot lightning and fire from his hands while mumbling words?

That is a low blow considering I love the realism in this game. How about this.. The potion is magically imbued when crafted, making it so magic reflection shoots the damage (not the glass), right back at you. The shield can repel it because, well, use common sense.

I personally think, even though this will never happen, you slow the speed in which potions soar through the air. With that, you can use a faster casted spell to shoot the potion out of the air.

Weird and clumsy theory, but it's just an idea. Try this on for size..

Bring back the stamina for horses, nerf the damage for explosion potions and increase the cooldowns for cure/heal potions. With that, reds would do a majority of their pvp in houses, making gates the hot spot again. With that, reds wouldn't need mounts. Blues have guard zones, reds have houses. As for the issue with bola tamers, let them sick their 7x mare on the reds as they lure it into the house.

Make warhorses have no stamina, like now, and that solves the problem for factions being so mobile. They won't have to worry about bola tamers any more than they would now.

I'm only on page 6 of this post, and explosion potions have since been somewhat nerfed but are still a must in field and pit matches (depending).

Potions would still be usable, depending on the damage/cooldown nerfs. Obviously make Alchy still somewhat viable, but what is going on now is horse shit.

I remember a time of constant gate pvp and chuggers being laughed at unless you were being ganked.

That is one of my ideas, and I argue with myself but I figure I should share the argument with this thread.

Alchy does seem to work fairly well at the moment. I have been practicing with people who have been teaching me to field, they use pots but generally don't stock them when rolling with me, because i may miss the heal, leaving them to die(kidding, kinda). We find ourselves not using explosion pots very often if at all, and still downing people plenty.

The perfect nerf to them is in game. It consists of two things. Friends and good syncs.

I know that there are plenty of gray in my statement to poke and prod at. I see it all, and don't feel like tying it all out. Still a strong and valid point.

The only problem with alchy being so strong is that it becomes the cookie cutter and ruins the other templates. Truth is, you don't go alchy for factions, and don't usually throw explosions when you are with a group. It's a 1v1 problem, which is honestly not the bulk of pvp in this game.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

A good balance needs to apply to every situation. "Friends and good synchs" don't apply to 1v1 situations. Therefore, that's not a good balance.

Doug502

Wanderer

Hahaha, there IS someone else out there that doesnt use e-pots, hot damn.

A friend and I were hitting Ancient Liches last night wth his drag and my WW and as soon as we got to the first one, Captain Beefheart and some other dude(cant remember name, but both blues tryin to become red)PKed us. Like Ninja assassins they came out of hiding and took it to us and we both died. That doesnt bother me and in fact was in IRC later talking about how I gotta give them props, they are kililng without once throwing a e-pot. In fact, I think one was a tank mage and the other was just a straight swords guy(that bardiche fuckin hurt)so they werent even PKing on alchy/whatevers.

Not everyone are sheeple. Some run seperate from the herd.

D

SDJurczak

Wanderer

LKP;2010582 said:
A good balance needs to apply to every situation. "Friends and good synchs" don't apply to 1v1 situations. Therefore, that's not a good balance.

We'll just say that in the duel pits, where you should be getting most of your 1v1 action, you have the opportunity to use pots just like your opponent or set the rules as you wish.

Truth be told, you have to separate the two because a majority of pvp on the field is in numbers. Players make it so, because they are generally afraid to 1v1. I know I don't solo field, because you can always rely on the other guy to call in. Depending on the situation, you may just have random passerby characters join in on the fight (Red vs. Blue, Chaos vs. Order, Faction vs. Faction. What else is there?)

It will make the issue much harder to put it into a 1v1 perspective but, I do agree that it should all be taken in to consideration before changing anything. What is above is just a thought.

Alchy pots are already kind of nerfed in the numbers field pvp, but not really. You can still use them pretty freely. They really found a way to try to make everyone happy, and it really just kept the problem the same.

Yeah, can't use purples in town. QQ.. (For those who don't know, those are two eyes crying.) You can still use them outside of town, which is where mostly all PK situations take place. Factions don't have it so easy, but if you need explosion pots to take down someone, you should probably work on your syncs.

I'd like to see a 5-10 point dmg nerf, usable hand only makes sense, and a minor range shortage. Make them part of the dump, not what you do in between while chasing someone.

The only good thing about Sallos is that it makes people use timing and the basic way to throw pots to actually use them. But that is all looked over and how easy it makes everything else.

I'm still on the side of making razor have the capabilities of Sallos, while leaving behind a few, and keeping it's boyish good looks.

I came back to this game and downgraded on graphics for better pvp. I don't want to have to downgrade more to be on a easymode client just to get on the same level as everyone else. But that is a different arguement for a different thread.

jimmydude

Wanderer

u all fucking suck, unless wands are involved, no matter what the dump is, it can be healed through in a 1vs1 situation, even with pots involved. if you cant heal through a pot dump you fucking suck, and getting rid of explode pots wont stop you from dying. in a 1vs1 situation it is way to fucking hard to kill someone on this shard. i constantly get into battles that last 20-25 min and as long as we dont run outta shit the fight ends in a draw when we give up becuz if both poeple dont suck its just a never ending battle until someone screws up. you dont win becuz ur good, u win becuz the other person isnt, or becuz he hit the wrong key, or fuct up in some way, or ur a bola tamer, or a faggot who calls in. either way quit your fucking bitching, learn how to heal, and move on to a problem that actually matters. the only people who cry about xplode pots are the fags who run instead of fight, and thats cuz its harder to run from an xplode pot, but these fags would not fight if there were no pots, they would still run, only without pots they would make it to gaurdzones where they could get 25 other blues then try to gank you.....

Vizeroth

Sorceror

jimmydude;2012238 said:
u all fucking suck, unless wands are involved, no matter what the dump is, it can be healed through in a 1vs1 situation, even with pots involved. if you cant heal through a pot dump you fucking suck, and getting rid of explode pots wont stop you from dying. in a 1vs1 situation it is way to fucking hard to kill someone on this shard. i constantly get into battles that last 20-25 min and as long as we dont run outta shit the fight ends in a draw when we give up becuz if both poeple dont suck its just a never ending battle until someone screws up. you dont win becuz ur good, u win becuz the other person isnt, or becuz he hit the wrong key, or fuct up in some way, or ur a bola tamer, or a faggot who calls in. either way quit your fucking bitching, learn how to heal, and move on to a problem that actually matters. the only people who cry about xplode pots are the fags who run instead of fight, and thats cuz its harder to run from an xplode pot, but these fags would not fight if there were no pots, they would still run, only without pots they would make it to gaurdzones where they could get 25 other blues then try to gank you.....
Ever hear of wrestling stun? No? Oh, that explains why you think a dual dump + pots could be survived without wands.