UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

HOWTO: UO + Razor on Linux

octpos

Wanderer
Re: HOWTO: UO + Razor on Linux

After many searches and code alteration to know where is the REAL problem, that I can't run Razor with wine, I discovered that Razor was very bad programed( http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15649 ) and using .NET, occur in some "luck runs", some think like, run 10 times and play once ^^.

But why that happens only to some unlucky, like me??
Simple, kernel side... yeah all my kernels were compiled to run in Multi-process and I have Core 2 Duo, so when Razor throw the threats with User Interface( some one in RunOU missed Oriented Object Programming lesson) it have some delay in inter process, so that delay in Windows based it's nothing, but when wine run Razor, that delay is enough to mismatch the process id of UO.

Some people showed a solution, run Update.exe, maybe without know that retard the trigger of the Razor threat delay ( Oo ), but in some situations that didn't work, maybe some microsecond of differences? I don't know, but I have tried another better.

Run Razor with wine-auto ... yeah, wine will try to update it self and begin to run Razor in a threat, appears that it delay the delay ^^, and Razor run without trouble or 20 seconds of Update.exe screen.

=]

Now I just have 2 problem.... :\

The Desktop in uo folder appears to didn't be recognized, because when I login in Demise, all my spell sreen-shortcut disappear, the status panel and all customized Interface....
The second problem is that EasyUO don't work, it run, find the UO char, but when I start mining script, all the messages in UO is "I can't locate that" ...

octpos;509489 said:
After many searches and code alteration to know where is the REAL problem, that I can't run Razor with wine, I discovered that Razor was very bad programed( http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15649 ) and using .NET, occur in some "luck runs", some think like, run 10 times and play once ^^.
I can't reproduce this, as many other in the link you provided can't. Maybe, as you say, the problem is related to some kernel configurations. Are you using the last wine devel version?

octpos;509489 said:
The Desktop in uo folder appears to didn't be recognized, because when I login in Demise, all my spell sreen-shortcut disappear, the status panel and all customized Interface....
Have you already checked folder permissions?

octpos;509489 said:
The second problem is that EasyUO don't work, it run, find the UO char, but when I start mining script, all the messages in UO is "I can't locate that" ...

Let's make a deal... you will never try to use EUO anymore, staff will ignore what you said, and everyone will be happy. Ok? ;)
Have a look on rules.

octpos

Wanderer

osd_daedalus;509809 said:
I can't reproduce this, as many other in the link you provided can't. Maybe, as you say, the problem is related to some kernel configurations. Are you using the last wine devel version?

I made some alteration in the last version of wine to retard the delay. But it will always happens to any application, I did that only to test if it's really the delay the problem
And in the last post I said the wrong bin, the right is wine-auto and not wine-update.
Yes, as I said, I alternated the last stable and unstable version of wine, and it's not kernel configuration, it's simple bad programmers of Razor, you can see the mismatch in UI and threat to UO in reverse engining.

Have you already checked folder permissions?
Yeap... I put the hex value of 7 in all bit sum of the file, and it didn't work, until now I didn't discovered what it's.

Let's make a deal... you will never try to use EUO anymore, staff will ignore what you said, and everyone will be happy. Ok? ;)
Have a look on rules.
?? Who said that I tried in that shard? I play in other shards that allow EUO, and as I said, I'm trying to enter in the wine noob's develop group, so I want to know if any one run successfully, and how.
Cause MANY problems in windows applications with wine it's simple that in POSIX the code must be rigth in some theorical aspects, like the generical issue objects in Oriented Object Programmin....
A simple example? Many windows programs, to locate the own pacth, presume that the local disk is C:\ ... not generical rigth? Now imagine some estrutured issue, like threaths, forks process , dynamic allocation of memory(Ops... .NET don't allow the coder to do that... my bad ... =] ) .... do you understand what I'm talking about? ^^

octpos;509908 said:
I made some alteration in the last version of wine to retard the delay. But it will always happens to any application, I did that only to test if it's really the delay the problem
And in the last post I said the wrong bin, the right is wine-auto and not wine-update.
Yes, as I said, I alternated the last stable and unstable version of wine, and it's not kernel configuration, it's simple bad programmers of Razor, you can see the mismatch in UI and threat to UO in reverse engining.

Yeap... I put the hex value of 7 in all bit sum of the file, and it didn't work, until now I didn't discovered what it's.

I said, in my first post, Razor is a real pain :)
?? Who said that I tried in that shard? I play in other shards that allow EUO, and as I said, I'm trying to enter in the wine noob's develop group, so I want to know if any one run successfully, and how.
Cause MANY problems in windows applications with wine it's simple that in POSIX the code must be rigth in some theorical aspects, like the generical issue objects in Oriented Object Programmin....
A simple example? Many windows programs, to locate the own pacth, presume that the local disk is C:\ ... not generical rigth? Now imagine some estrutured issue, like threaths, forks process , dynamic allocation of memory(Ops... .NET don't allow the coder to do that... my bad ... =] ) .... do you understand what I'm talking about? ^^

Ok, my misunderstanding. But it will be really difficult to know if someone can run EUO in wine here. (and it's not my purpose to explain here because this thread is meant to be a guide how to play in Demise)

I think you already had a look in WineHQ database... it seems there are people can run EUO and let it work through wine.

And yes, I know little about coding but I understand :) And good luck in joining the wine dev team ;)

gaziks

Wanderer

hello im using ubuntu 8.10 i installed all like in instructions but when im triying to launch razor it says " Razor was unable to locate and load suitable UO cliloc file" and closes. is there smtn i can do to repair this?

Blacula

Knight

octpos;509489 said:
I discovered that Razor was very bad programed

An Corp

Every time I load Razor, I wish that Krrios would code an actual AOS/
ML client (without the plugin interface/0 delay explosion potions/etc. that Beta 13 had) so that players had a safe, legit option to logging in on freeshards. It'd be 500% cooler if it ran on Linux too :>

/OT mode myself: Know of any good distros for an Acer Aspire One? I'm considering dual-booting again soon.

Blacula;549217 said:
/OT mode myself: Know of any good distros for an Acer Aspire One? I'm considering dual-booting again soon.

I use always Ubuntu now because I'm tired to spend the first week compiling and searching for kernel patches and module drivers :p

I had an Acer Aspire (not One) and I used there quite good: Slackware, Gentoo, Ubuntu and Fedora/Red Hat. I didn't reach to install Debian for a missed SATA HD module driver... really strange, though.

Now I love the APT method to manage packets, so I'd go for Ubuntu or Debian.

Blacula

Knight

I dual-booted this Aspire One the other day with Linux4One (which is fantastic,) but I was getting a lot of lag with Wine so I decided to try out Aspire One Puppy, which is a branch of Puppy Linux. Puppy is just FAST, and there's literally 0% lag with Firefox running, and Wine running UO + Ventrilo. (Haven't tried to dual-client yet though...)

If anyone has an Aspire One and wants to try playing UO with Linux, here's the link to Aspire One Puppy: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35424

-Blacula

Edit: No dual-clienting yet.

Lady Teela

Wanderer

Blacula;556897 said:
Edit: No dual-clienting yet.

Try launching Razor with this command:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/USERNAME/.wine" wine explorer /desktop=Razor1,1680x1028 "C:\Program Files\Razor\Razor.exe"

Razor1 is the name of the virtual desktop, 1680x1028 is the resolution (my monitor is 1680x1050 with a 22px toolbar) so you will need to adjust that for your own setup.

Then, make 4 shortcuts, each with a different virtual desktop name i.e. Razor1, Razor2, Razor3, Razor4. It treats each instance of the UO client + Razor as an independent full screen app. It's the easiest way I've found so far to manage multiple razor clients in linux.

Lady Teela

Wanderer

I hope it works for you. I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten the positioning system to work or not? Activating it sends Razor into a fury. It has something to do with the positioning system window using Smart Always on Top I think. Activating that feature in Razor sends the window into the same blitz that the map does. For the time being I'll just stick to my sextant :p

Hilde

Page

I dual-client all day, no problem there. But I have to add, I never start Razor.exe, always Updater.exe (Razor.exe quits with an exception, Updater.exe starts Razor without a problem)

tigergm

Sorceror

me too.i have to run the Updater.exe:(.i hope the new version razor should work some day
sometime the uo crack sometime, maybe it's the sound problem.i set the wine sound to none.
although above problems,i still thank the good helper posting.

Blacula

Knight

Lady Teela;557746 said:
For the time being I'll just stick to my sextant :p

First..... AN CORP!

I know how you feel..... I'm planning on trying it out again (because wine under puppy linux is FAST), and I'll see if I can get UOAM working again.

More details soon! :)

I think I've almost got this working. I'm having the problem where I'm unable to enter a port in razor. When I try to edit the registry I don't see any last port thing to edit though. Any ideas?

electricfuneral;601690 said:
I think I've almost got this working. I'm having the problem where I'm unable to enter a port in razor. When I try to edit the registry I don't see any last port thing to edit though. Any ideas?

For Demise you don't need to. For other servers...

Then edit the key in HKLM_CURRENT_USER --> Software --> Razor --> Last server and type everything you want (i.e. blahblahblah)
I'm not joking! Then, return to Razor and you have blank field in Server Adress and Server Port. Now you can write everything you want!

and

Keep in mind if you want to use another shard, different than first and not included in Razor list, first you have to select the shard you added, then you can change server address and port (other shards, as in Windows, will be added in Razor list)

of course I guess you have Razor closed when you edit the registry.

Smjert

Sorceror

I also can't understand where is Last server thing.
Be more precise.. is a Key or a Value? (they are different!), and if it's a Value which type has to be? and.. where it has to be?
Under Razor Key? (there's no Key and no Value named Last server or LastServer).
I tried to add it as a Value named LastServer, put the random data but nothing changed.