UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Climategate

Howl

Sorceror
Re: Climategate

Hillbilly Homer;670485 said:
2008 2009 coolest year on record

1985 became the fourth coldest year on record in the western USA.

Aug 21, 2009 ... 2009 could very well be the coldest year on record for Saskatchewan

“Temperatures during the first half of the month in the Twin Cities, St. Cloud, Minn. and Eau Claire, Wis., will go down in history as the coldest on record ...

Jan 6, 2009 ... Record cold temperatures have arrived to the United Kingdom, Canada (24 consecutive days below -24 °C in a city).......

when you can get a 5 day weather forecast right then come back and give me the 500 year one

Local temperature fluctuations on a daily and even hourly level can far exceed the average global temperature rate of increase. Enough said. Just look at the overall trend for the history of the Earth. Just because you might be in a trough at any particular moment in time, it doesn't mean there isn't an overall increase, and that that overall rate of change is phenomenally great compared to the entirety of Earth's history, with every reason to believe that it is largely anthropogenic (the nature of GHGs, the recorded levels of CO2, methane and NO2, deforestation and albedo changes, climate models for natural fluctuations not accounting for recent trends but models including both natural influences and anthropogenic influences accounting almost perfectly for recent trends).

I somehow feel that I am wasting my time, and that you are going to live up to the prefix in your username with style.

Edit: I'll also add that climate change can have some pretty weird effects on smaller-than-global scales. For instance, raising temperature could melt the arctic ices. The consensus is that we won't have an arctic for the duration of summer within around 30 years time. This would change ocean currents in such a way that warm waters would no longer be brought to Europe, which may be enough to start a snowball effect that could result in Europe being plunged into it's own localized ice age, where as the rest of the world would be experiencing an over-all warming trend.

Further, I'll add that warming estimates, like Brunus said, are averaged over the entire planet. More warming is experienced in areas of greater latitude. Temperature increases around the poles will be the greatest, where as places such as India will hardly see any warming for a while, but of course will suffer all of the secondary effects (sea level rise, biodiversity loss, etc etc.)

Howl

Sorceror

weinster666;670505 said:
Global warming is determined by taking the average temperature of every place on earth, over, for example, a year's time, and then comparing that to previous years. So, you can have certain places at certain times of the year actually being colder, but overall the numbers can still show an increase in global temperature.

Also, I remember reading something a while back about how increased CO2 in the atmosphere contributes to colder winters. Heat from the sun is a lot like radio signals. As you may know, sometimes the weaker radio signals can bounce off the ionosphere, causing you to pick up radio station much farther than normal. From what I rememeber, CO2 strengthens the ionosphere and when the heat from the sun hits it at an angle (i.e. wintertime) , more heat is reflected back into space and never gets down here to heat the earth.

Something like that, anyways.

Even radiation that's reflected off the Earth's surface is absorbed by the GHGs and some is emitted back into space. The important point is that the over-all effect is that more radiation is reflected back into the atmosphere and also turned into kinetic energy than is reflected into space. If we look at models for past temperature with much lower levels of CO2, we can see a huge drop in temperature that would have probably not supported the life we see on Earth today.

Facko;670645 said:
even more epic lulz!!!

Forgive for asking, but which part is funny?
Seriously, The discussion is more like reading a Chilton's Auto repair manual. I don't think anyone would think reading such a book could be considered funny.

Boring (definitely). Pointless (some peoples opinion). Nonsense (others opinion).

Just not funny.

Facko

Sorceror

I've got a strange sense of humor, to be sure but the comedy is all between-the-lines.

Howl

Sorceror

weinster666;670652 said:
Forgive for asking, but which part is funny?
Seriously, The discussion is more like reading a Chilton's Auto repair manual. I don't think anyone would think reading such a book could be considered funny.

Boring (definitely). Pointless (some peoples opinion). Nonsense (others opinion).

Just not funny.

I don't think it's boring at all! The Earth is so complex, it's really interesting!

mantorras

Sorceror

Howl;670674 said:
I don't think it's boring at all! The Earth is so complex, it's really interesting!

This, thanks for clarifying some stuff Howl.
I am sure I will come up with more questions or one or two counter remark, I am just a bit short of time right now.
This thread has now the Mantorras's seal of approval :)

Howl

Sorceror

Hillbilly Homer;670818 said:
:D lol my cows are doing damage X2 :D

Probably more like 10000* damage.

*Is writing an article on the contribution of livestock production to AGW as we speak, or rather, procrastinating from it as we speak*

Howl

Sorceror

"when you can get a 5 day weather forecast right then come back and give me the 500 year one"

I forgot to comment on this.

We can give you a 500 000 year one if you really want.

Howl;670864 said:
"when you can get a 5 day weather forecast right then come back and give me the 500 year one"

I forgot to comment on this.

We can give you a 500 000 year one if you really want.

:D lol (forecast sunny hi in the med to upper 40s) RL freezing drizzle hi in the mid 20s :D

Facko

Sorceror

I've printed this thread out about 1,000,000 times then set the paper on fire!!

Kiluad

Sorceror

mantorras;670291 said:
Slightly offtopic but, what's the deal with global warming and it's relation with human gas emissions? I mean human gas emissions are just one of a series of factors that contribute to global warming, we don't even know for sure if global warming is not part of the planet's temperature cycle like ice ages.
So we are worrying about something that may be just inevitable?
I am not saying we shouldn't care about polution in general but still I think we are blowing this out of proportions...

claiming earth has cycles is rediculous, we know the earth has had different temperatures through out it's life, we have no idea how "natural" the causes of those changes were. the sun, meteors, super novas etc. can all affect the earth greatly, which can and do produce unatural occurances on earth and other planets.

Just because it has happened, doesn't mean it's suppose to happen. We know what we're adding to the atmosphere here on earth, we know that it traps heat on earth, we know the poles are suffering from greater ice melts every year. why would we ever assume this is natural? why even take the chance? what possible benifit could the human race get out of risking a horrific world fate?

There's a huge number of variables that go into making the earth habitable by what we call "life" (as opposed to some crystalline beings that live in clouds of methane gas). The specific gravity of the Earth, the makeup of its atmosphere, the distance from the sun to give us just the right amount of light, heat, radiation, etc. the spin of the earth, the angle of its axis. Add it all up and it seems like a huge long shot.

No one really knows how much of a long shot it is, but there sure seems to be a whole mess of non-viable ones out there. We sure as heck havent found any good replacements yet, so being as we don't have a backup alternative, taking a few precautions doesnt sound like a bad idea.

Muggz

Sorceror

Another day of -45C, can you guys do me a favour and just turn your cars on and leave them on please. Lets speed this warming up ok?

Facko

Sorceror

Muggz;670949 said:
Another day of -45C, can you guys do me a favour and just turn your cars on and leave them on please. Lets speed this warming up ok?

run around the perimiter of your house with a few aerosol cans spraying all willy nilly!

Howl

Sorceror

Facko;670955 said:
run around the perimiter of your house with a few aerosol cans spraying all willy nilly!

Aerosols cool the atmosphere, idiot.