UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Brand Spankin New Totem

Argyle

Wanderer
Brand Spankin New Totem

GOLD ONLY.

Current high bid is 13mil by Fionn.

Bid increase increments of 1mil.

No reserve, auction ends Wednesday the 20th at 10pm EST.

Bid away rich dudes.

AUCTION ENDS IN 15 minutes

Argyle

Wanderer
Re: Brand Spankin New Totem

Well I guess this proves that the 40mil prize tag on a totem is completely debunked...

Nikki_Demise

Bug Hunter

There has been someone trying to sell a totem for 6 BRSK's at Luna bank for some time. Even if you value a BRSK at a trade value of 4k thats 24k for a totem. 18kk if you assign a cash value of 3kk to a BRSK. He hasn't succeeded last i saw and 6 BRSK is probably easier to come by than 20kk.

Digatalas

Knight

Man keep your item and use it, or just make a deal with someone that posts in the buying forum. next time before you make another post to sell it or bump this one, just check the last 4 pages of the buying forums on here, amazing what people will give if they have been trying to get it for weeks or days.

Mister Dank

Knight

Argyle;431221 said:
Well I guess this proves that the 40mil prize tag on a totem is completely debunked...

Last I checked it was 30m, and items usually go for less than their full value when the payment is exclusively gold.

repiovesana

Sorceror

The problem is that very few people actually have 20 million in cash to spend. And those who do, already have a Totem... or should I say *some* Totems? :D

Argyle

Wanderer

Yeah, this is Totem #3 for me.

And I wasnt bumping my thread tbh, I was just making fun of the "economy" here. Its more grossly inflated than speculation on the petroleum markets.

Things are worth X gold until you ask for X gold, then they are worth X/2 Gold.

Comical.

Mister Dank

Knight

Tbh it reflects reality; do you really think there is enough gold stashed away by the USA to cover all the paper money and credit issued here in America?

Argyle

Wanderer

Um, Dank, an educated man knows that we have a fiat currency system which was established with the abolishment of the gold standard in 1971 and that the value of our currency is a factor of international debt and global exchange rates.

Actually there is about $253,000,000,000 in physical currency the last time I checked, and thats not even enough CASH to pay for the value of the USA's accounts payable or receivable.

However, that doesn't mean I can purchase any product on the market for HALF of its value with cash or troy gold ounces. I might get a 3-7% break for paying with cash. If I tried to buy a car with a gold bar the dealership wouldn't know what to do...

So it doesnt reflect reality worth a damn actually.

Mister Dank

Knight

What I meant was that our system was initially based on gold, but inflated to the point where that became a useless standard. I was drawing a comparison between that fact and the fact that on demise gold is also becoming a useless standard to base some thing's worth on.

Argyle

Wanderer

And the point that I was making was that inflationary rates based on a prime standard above the realistic selling point is an economy that has no true standard.

If people say an Orny is worth 50-60 mil, but you cant actually get that product for the gold, then the price is LESS.

Supply, meet demand.

Nikki_Demise

Bug Hunter

It doesn't reflect reality. UO currency may be called gold but it doesn't carry the same intrinsic value real gold carries. Also the dollar isn't backed by gold either. In the case of both the dollar and the gp both currency's are intrinsically worthless and only have value because we believe they will be accepted later in another transaction. ltot's are a much better corollary to real gold since they are also are used as a medium of exchange but like gold they have their own intrinsic value in their ability to be used directly to generate something of value. In the real world we don't have one value for an item measured in dollars but used solely as a measure of comparing the value between two goods and another value for an actual sale in dollars.

I think this is caused by a rapid shift in how people view the gp. Back in spring the talk on the forums was about how worthless gold was and it was fairly easy to sell an item for gold value but as values approached the high end people often expected to get items in trade and didn't want gold. I've been away from the game so I don't know what has caused the shift but now people WANT gold, as a result the value of gold has appreciated and the supply is squeezed harder. Naturally as the value of gold appreciates the gold values of items should fall. However since this shift has happened so rapidly people are having trouble accepting the perceived loss. There have been some cases where items go up or down in value. Stormgrips are more expensive than they were AOF's are cheaper but for the most part most items seem to have pretty much retained their values relative to each other.

I think the gap between trade value and sale value is a coping mechanism. When people remember their items were worth 60kk last spring they don't want to accept that they are worth only 30kk now because that drop in gold value looks like they lost alot of money and people don't want to accept that. In practice most high value transactions still take place in trades which allows people to insist their items are still worth 60kk and avoid accepting that they are now worth 30kk.

The reason this will never happen in real life is because most business is actually conducted in dollar sales and not trades forcing people to deal with value fluctuations. When we buy a house it may be borrowed money but we actually pay the price in dollars. We don't give a car, a big screen TV, 6 laptops, and 10k.

In UO's high end barter economy the trade value of an item can move away from it's sale value and business still function without people being forced to accept the changed value of their items. In real life if the dollar were to deflate 50% over the course of the summer it may take some time to accept but people would have to accept that the house they bought for 200k in the spring is only worth 100k now that they want to sell it and perceived would follow real values down as people gave in to reality and made sales.

Nikki_Demise

Bug Hunter

It doesn't reflect reality. UO currency may be called gold but it doesn't carry the same intrinsic value real gold carries. Also the dollar isn't backed by gold either. In the case of both the dollar and the gp both currency's are intrinsically worthless and only have value because we believe they will be accepted later in another transaction. ltot's are a much better corollary to real gold since they are also are used as a medium of exchange but like gold they have their own intrinsic value in their ability to be used directly to generate something of value. In the real world we don't have one value for an item measured in dollars but used solely as a measure of comparing the value between two goods and another value for an actual sale in dollars.

I think this is caused by a rapid shift in how people view the gp. Back in spring the talk on the forums was about how worthless gold was and it was fairly easy to sell an item for gold value but as values approached the high end people often expected to get items in trade and didn't want gold. I've been away from the game so I don't know what has caused the shift but now people WANT gold, as a result the value of gold has appreciated and the supply is squeezed harder. Naturally as the value of gold appreciates the gold values of items should fall. However since this shift has happened so rapidly people are having trouble accepting the perceived loss. There have been some cases where items go up or down in value. Stormgrips are more expensive than they were AOF's are cheaper but for the most part most items seem to have pretty much retained their values relative to each other.

I think the gap between trade value and sale value is a coping mechanism. When people remember their items were worth 60kk last spring they don't want to accept that they are worth only 30kk now because that drop in gold value looks like they lost alot of money and people don't want to accept that. In practice most high value transactions still take place in trades which allows people to insist their items are still worth 60kk and avoid accepting that they are now worth 30kk.

The reason this will never happen in real life is because most business is actually conducted in dollar sales and not trades forcing people to deal with value fluctuations. When we buy a house it may be borrowed money but we actually pay the price in dollars. We don't give a car, a big screen TV, 6 laptops, and 10k.

In UO's high end barter economy the trade value of an item can move away from it's sale value and business still function without people being forced to accept the changed value of their items. In real life if the dollar were to deflate 50% over the course of the summer it may take some time to accept but people would have to accept that the house they bought for 200k in the spring is only worth 100k now that they want to sell it and perceived would follow real values down as people gave in to reality and made sales.

ps. Reading what was said while I was typing I should point out the UO gp isn't inflating it's deflating.

lordwolfx

Knight

is this a trade thread or a civics economic class?

i vote Argyle be the prof, i think hes richest demise player posting here lewl

bilabong

Account Terminated

well since noone else bid on it i bid 10 million prob wont accept it but at least its a bid on The SELLING part of forums

Argyle;431279 said:
Um, Dank, an educated man knows that we have a fiat currency system which was established with the abolishment of the gold standard in 1971 and that the value of our currency is a factor of international debt and global exchange rates.

Actually there is about $253,000,000,000 in physical currency the last time I checked, and thats not even enough CASH to pay for the value of the USA's accounts payable or receivable.

--and how much, approximately, does your Country owe China?