UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Official LC statement about "the infamous hammer" (epic length warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer
Official LC statement about "the infamous hammer" (epic length warning)

Well.... all I can say is "wow" right now - I had no idea there were so many passionate people who liked to keep so many items to themselves or even the chance of getting an item to themselves. Now, by items - I mean pixel crack... just to clarify that up front. And I'm not complaining, I like my pixel crack as much as the next person, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't go ninja on someone because they got an item that I hadn't gotten yet. BUT that seems to be the case. So, I've decided to just consolidate all the bitching and griping into one thread so you can all have your say (even though it doesn't change the fact what I did remains done). So, to do this effectively, I'll just type in the most common statements I've personally heard and go from there.

1. Staff give out hammers at events.
Yea - this is a pile of moose poo. "Staff" did not. I made that decision. You can reference me specifically without hurting my feelings. There is no need to blame the entirety of Demise Staff for a decision I made. "Give out hammers at events" makes it sound like it happens ever week. Another pile of moose poo. This is the first hammer that has ever been given away at an event and it had only 10 charges on it. Truthfully, I had thought of this before the event even started and thought it would be an interesting one time shot. It has definitely been interesting and no, I would not change what I did.

2. He did nothing and got a valorite hammer
Au contraire, mes amis! True, he did not do a great amount of physical effort to actually obtain the key; however, he ran around for hours upon hours looking and feeling frustrated and did not give up. He was tenacious, which says a lot about him and even more so than the people who don't want to put the time into the events but like to bitch about them.

BUT let's really look at the odds of the prize for the event. So, how many mobile animals that spawn and can be killed by players do you think exist on the server in total? Let's say 50,000 just for funsies. So, he had a 1 in 5,000 chance of even getting a key. Now, even tho he got the key, he had a 1 in 4 chance that the key was real and even more so, 1 in 25 that the real key opened the specific chest with the hammer. If you want to calculate the odds on that, its a hell of a lot worse than your chance of getting a BOD for a valorite hammer. And if those odds weren't worse enough, he only had 12 hours to do it in AND took the risk of going to Felucca (which he was PKd) and losing the key.

So - who has a better chance of getting a valorite hammer? A smith who uses 3 accounts full of BOD collectors getting a BOD every hour (18 BODs an hour) and filling those BODs afk in his hours OR some guy who happened upon a random series of events that actually led him to a hammer instead of a rose of trinsic? The smith who continues to gather, trade, fill, and turn in BODs can continue to do so and never change their odds; however, what are the odds that if I did this event again, he'd be able to do the same exact thing again and get the same exact outcome?

3. OMGZ the staff give away items and ruin *insert random profession here*
A big fat "whatever" to this one. Every time any event is ever held and any item is ever given away it will always, without a doubt, affect someone somewhere. The first two people who got fruit baskets haven't blown a gasket that I've given more away. The first group of people with roses of trinsic haven't committed themselves to the insane asylum because of my giving more away. I haven't heard of anyone having a mental breakdown because I gave away more ltots at some random event. Believe it or not, smithy won't change because of 10 charges on a valorite hammer. What in the world will you all ever do when the BOD changes that were implemented on OSI a while back make it to Demise? Will a clinic will need to be opened for the suicidal smiths of the world? I doubt it.

Now, one could say "well, staff should just hold events and not give items away - its all about having fun at the events" - Sure, in theory this is great. In a pure altruistic utopia this would be a prime statement; however, we aren't. People like to be rewarded for their time spent. So, the server is expected to reward people for their efforts with items that will affect people somewhere but do so without affecting people anywhere. That won't happen. It's staff's job to make sure that the great items don't flood the market and that bad items don't piss everyone off. Its a matter of looking for the equilibrium. I hadn't gone this big before and I'm glad I did. Doesn't mean that every event you can expect something uber like a valorite hammer, but one never knows. Maybe those who complain about being bored or having things ruined will get off their butts and do some events and be thankful when the give-away isn't l33t and be thankful when it is.

Do you realize there have been more reports of hate comments related to this one event prize than the entire instance with the "other" infamous valorite hammer that led to multiple people getting banned and a few hundred items deleted from game? At least this one is legal and only has 10 charges. Those 10 charges will do absolutely nothing to the server. The likelihood that all 10 charges yield an elite item are next to nill and even if they did, so what - its 10 items. The only impact the event prize has had is on your mental status of how elite you think something should be and the reality that anyone can get it (even noob smiths can get lucky).

4. OMG the same people are always winning!!!! It's not fair!!!!!11!!1!1
Well, I have one real reply for those people: get off your arse and try. You can't win if you don't try and even if you don't get anything the first time, try again. The people I see constantly getting items are the same people I see constantly failing at getting items. But... if you don't try you can't win. Consequently, if you don't try, your opinion holds no weight in any decision that I may make about events. I'm going to listen to the people who actively participate and can actually give constructive feedback. I wouldn't listen to my insurance agent if he was giving me medical advice because he wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to medicine. If you don't know what you are talking about, I surely won't be listening to you. Harsh reality, but that's how I roll, home fry.

5. You ruined the economy!
1 hammer.... 10 charges.... and a crap ass chance those charges will yield anything of grandeur value. To those who say I ruined the economy.... no, I didn't. Set your irrational anger aside for 10 seconds and think about the true likelihood of him getting anything great from it? Now, before you say "well, the hammer is worth xyz millions" - no, its not... its just a blue hammer unless you actually use it.... only when its used does its true value shine through. Besides, I'm pretty sure he blew all his luck in actually obtaining the hammer ;)

6. You gave the rarest item away on the server!
Uh.... how can it be the "rarest item on the server" if there is a possibility to get it? Yea, its a low chance ratio, but it still exists. The rarest items are those that only exist because staff placed them in game and they cannot be obtained any other way. A person can get a valorite hammer by simply having a little luck, a little patience, and some kick ass trading skills.

The rarest items are the unique items on the server. And... there are seriously on a couple of those anyway. They aren't something Demise gives away like candy as opposed to other servers.

7. You ruined blacksmithy - I quit, you biatch!
Seriously? If having a valorite hammer on the server ruined the entire skill, then that must have happened a long long LONG time ago when the first valorite hammer was obtained. Seriously..... need a xanax?

8. OMG the irony!!11!!1 LC started the Blacksmith trade thread and she ruined blacksmithy....
Uh... starting those threads is part of my job. You see, I have this beautiful ability to separate professional from personal. Consequently, I can also identify between my forum duties and my game duties AND assess (and tolerate) people with ability to empathize frustration and anger. This is why a few of the people who have apparently crossed a line aren't banned and why I'm not angry. People have a right to how they feel; however, they should learn to respect how others feel as well. I suppose these same people should be happy that I'm the one that made the decision to add the hammer because, as history has proven, I'm probably the most tolerable staff member and none of what is said has upset me or made me want to go ban-happy on people.

So, back to point #8, those BOD trade threads have nothing to do with events or event prizes... If someone chooses to not participate in the trade forums because I happen to be the person that posts it, well - I'm sure there are a lot of other happy folks out there because that's one more spot open to the first page and higher exposure. At least that silent protest is more constructive than yelling and screaming at staff and other players.... from the staff and other players' perspectives at least.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Ok, so... I'm not placing a cushion up or trying to be PR friendly right now.

I made a clear and conscious decision to put that hammer in the event. I teetered back and forth but ultimately decided to go forward with it. BUT I knew it was not something that would happen often.... if it happens in the next couple years I'd be surprised (and it wouldn't be from me). Remember, this was a decision I made long before the event was ever started and long before the babies got their diapers in a knot.

Remember, these are decisions that I make for every event that I host. I am not a moron. I am not a bitch. I am not out to "get ya" and I surely am not unfamiliar with the woes of UO.

All the kicking, screaming, and crying has done nothing more but to solidify that I made a good decision. There is an obvious imbalance with the runics and I will be doing some research and testing to figure out the algorithms for the BOD system as it exists on OSI. That information, of course, will be passed on to Asayre in hopes to correct what seems to be wrong.

To sum this up, as I said earlier, I'll listen to constructive criticism that comes from the people that actually participate in the events and/or have some base from which to speak. I am always open to improvement because the events are for the players; however, for those people who just want to sit around and do nothing but criticize and harrass - don't both complaining since it falls on deaf ears.

My final words are this: if individuals who are disgruntled continue to take out their anger on other staff members or players, I will step in and I will exercise the rights I have as staff. I am a very tolerable person but other people will not be harrassed for a decision that I made.

LC

PS: now, if you want to rage on me - do it here or PM me. Don't take it to vent. Don't take it to IRC. Don't be a jerk in game. I'm offering you the open door to kick and scream and rant in this message (which will eventually be lich lorded once it gets old/repetitive) or take it to PMs.

MadeInQuebec

Forum Member of the Year 2008
Re: Official LC statement about "the infamous hammer" (epic length warning)

Wow....

UO is serious buisness.

gilgamash

Knight

Looks just like a hell of a buch is envying around again.

It was your decision and that's it. Donno what all the fuss is about. FCS, it's a game, and some people are sacrificing their spare time to make events possible.

Why not just enjoy it?

G.

*claps*

By the way, you type too much. :p

Sure, I have over 7,000 posts, but I bet all the characters in mine total equal yours in just this post. :)

cuattamu

Knight

You're never going to be able to make everyone happy Crimson so I wouldnt worry about it.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

ParagonDancer;517363 said:
*claps*

By the way, you type too much. :p

Sure, I have over 7,000 posts, but I bet all the characters in mine total equal yours in just this post. :)

*laughs* Yea... I do type a lot :-/

uome

Bug Hunter

I have no problem with it being handed out, i just wish it was in a chest i opened :(
Maybe if i'm going to be critical 5 charges probably would have been enough, but anyone who puts in the work can get one. I prefer the unique prizes.

I think this has all been totally blown out of proportion, after all it is in the long run just pixels. Yes they are hard to get but everyone who participated in the event had the same chance as this person to get the hammer. I ran around for hrs killing everything i came across and didnt find any keys but it didnt matter to me as this is just part of playing the game, sometimes you get lucky sometimes you dont.

So to sum it all up my personal opinion is LC should have no reason to justify her reasons for putting the hammer in as a prize and all those that are complaining remember there is life outside of UO and if you have nothing better to moan about then you need to get out more or watch the news there are plenty more reasons in this world to angry about.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

uome;517368 said:
I have no problem with it being handed out, i just wish it was in a chest i opened :(
Maybe if i'm going to be critical 5 charges probably would have been enough, but anyone who puts in the work can get one. I prefer the unique prizes.

Good idea (Ferris mentioned the same thing afterwards) and noted for possible future reference :)

Also - I know I don't have to justify myself to anyone but it seems this has caused quite a stir. I think its just better for people to take their problems to me rather than others who had no bearing on the outcome of the event.

I'm not looking for "props" in this thread - but hopefully some folks will be able to see what I was thinking when I did it and those who don't will either post or PM me. I'm ok dealing with people about my decisions. It was, after all, my decision.

:)

drak-

Sorceror

This entire drama around rewards at events - its almost enough to make me want to stop participating.

Ya, almost - but thats not gonna happen this year cause then Id have NO chance at the items that are so important that they freak everyone out. :p

Cya at the next one!

Tempest

Knight

Personally I didn`t give a flying fuck that you gave away a Val runic hammer with only 2/3s of it`s max charges. TBH, I kind of thought it was a smart move, but it was kinda like a super hard bitchslap to the face towards the few dedicated smiths on this server. Like FE, Eby, and Crackhead to name the few I know.

Now I`ve burned a ton of charges on Val runics on previous servers before, and I must say, the odds are almost identical to the BRSK, literally almost everything will be shit or not what you`re looking for.

I say it was a smart move on your part because to be simply blunt about it, doing the bods and trying to get the hammer itself the old fashioned way is simply not worth it. The juice is NOT worth the squeeze. Maybe if smithy runics and tailor runics were bumped to OSI standards where all hammers/kits have a shot at 100% intensity mods, then maybe, just maybe it`d be worth it. And if I`m not wrong about this, I`m almost sure that on OSI Val runics have a minimum intensity of 85%, making everything you make worth at least something.

drak-

Sorceror

And BTW, staff shouldn't have to be even remotely apologetic or explaining themselves for trying to help the players have fun ... I kinda feel bad from Crimson. This is completely ridiculous.

EvilChild

Knight

Unique event items that have no impact in game other than looking cool (ex: pure white sash, hooded robe, hell even the luck sashes etc) = Yay!

I like the items like the talismans, cool colored elf clothing, etc. Something like a SC-0 dyed lantern would be badass. Or any other cool items which don't impact game mechanics are alot of fun and don't piss people off.

Items that take a lot of effort to obtain (valorite hammer), are overpowered (none that i can think of thankfully =)), or are otherwise ridiculous = No.

Valorite hammers take alot of time to get and are widely considered the absolute best item in the game. Alot of players have the ultimate dream of obtaining a valorite hammer because of its rarity and awesomeness. Giving out a valorite hammer through an event which takes a day essentially crushes the dreams of those that try very hard to obtain the item, and might even kill the game for the person receiving the item. Instead of working for their stuff they just got it handed to them on a silver platter. (I'm not saying that there was no work that went into finding the key/chest. I am just saying it comparitively. As in several hours of frustration versus months-years of frustration)

Yes, a valorite hammer probably won't give anything amazing when its burned (probably). Yes, a valorite hammer with 10 charges won't kill the economy or run smiths out of business. BUT, unless the message is taken clearly from the community which from your post LC I think it has been. Further event rewards on the scale of a valorite hammer would dramatically affect the shard in a very negative way. You set a precedence of a valorite hammer drop in an event. If everyone went up and gave you hugs and kisses for it, during the next event would there have been 2 valorite hammers? 3? 4? I think you get the picture.

MadeInQuebec

EvilChild;517380 said:
Giving out a valorite hammer through an event which takes a day essentially crushes the dreams of those that try very hard to obtain the item, and might even kill the game for the person receiving the item.

With all due respect,

I have to disagree. I dont see why one person's fortune, on a special event, where every single person was able to participate would crush the dreams of everyone else. If anything everyone should be happy for the winner, and envy him a little bit certainly but I absolutely cannot see that as a dream crusher. I'll use a comparaison.

I play the lottery a few times a month, now when I dont win and someone else does, does that crush my dreams? Would it crush yours?

That's just an example, make it with different things and it will always be the same result.

As for people quittng because they receive a val hammer, let me giggle at this. I havnt heard of anyone quitting because the won at an event... Does that mean I should cancel my Maze event because winners will quit? I highly doubt that...

EvilChild

Knight

For comparison I played on another shard for 3 days and quit because I had gotten an rbc, tome, kasa, and retarded pieces.

Same reason I don't cheat in games, because I want a challenge. Being handed everything for free doesn't give me a challenge.

Same reason why I don't play games with cheaters, because they get everything for free and it crushes the chance of me winning.

Obviously there was no cheating here but you get the point.

MadeInQuebec

The point I get, is that you personally would not be interested in winning a val hammer in such an event, therefor making you not participate.

That's fine with me, that's your own game style and it's great, everyone's different. But someone else winning a runic hammer in an event does not affect your principles at all. You are still more than welcome to work just as hard and keep pursuing your dreams :)

Trivial

Sorceror

I dislike bickering, negativity, rudeness and the demeaning of staff. The handful of players who were "outraged" really let me down, you guys really should've approached this situation with more respect and maturity.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

EvilChild;517380 said:
Unique event items that have no impact in game other than looking cool (ex: pure white sash, hooded robe, hell even the luck sashes etc) = Yay!

I like the items like the talismans, cool colored elf clothing, etc. Something like a SC-0 dyed lantern would be badass. Or any other cool items which don't impact game mechanics are alot of fun and don't piss people off.
I do not fault you for not knowing this but those items are actually the items that piss the most people off. I have been on the event staff for a very long time and I get a lot of kick back and the BIGGEST complaint is that we don't have unique items and then when they are given, we get the BIGGEST complaints that they were given. Trust me ... there is definitely a disdain associated to these kinds of prizes which is why they are rarely given.

Items that take a lot of effort to obtain (valorite hammer), are overpowered (none that i can think of thankfully =)), or are otherwise ridiculous = No.

Valorite hammers take alot of time to get and are widely considered the absolute best item in the game. Alot of players have the ultimate dream of obtaining a valorite hammer because of its rarity and awesomeness. Giving out a valorite hammer through an event which takes a day essentially crushes the dreams of those that try very hard to obtain the item, and might even kill the game for the person receiving the item. Instead of working for their stuff they just got it handed to them on a silver platter. (I'm not saying that there was no work that went into finding the key/chest. I am just saying it comparitively. As in several hours of frustration versus months-years of frustration)
These are very subjective statements and only hold true for those who spend the time to do it. A good majority of the server do not smith for val hammer BODs.

If everyone went up and gave you hugs and kisses for it, during the next event would there have been 2 valorite hammers? 3? 4? I think you get the picture.
Absolutely not. As I stated, I mulled it over and went back and forth about putting it into the event. Ultimately, I decided to do so and I had already made the decision that this was it or would at least be it for me for a long while (2+ years). Obviously, I do not control what other Seers do or administrators, but I had already made that decision long before the event went into game.

If any player actually thinks I'd do anything for compliments and virtual emotes, they seriously have not paid attention to my actions over the last 3+ years. I may be one of the most tolerable staff members and I think I'm pretty darn nice, but I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to following the rules and ensuring this game is as fair as it possibly can be for everyone. Happy words and smiling faces only get a thank you from me... that's about it. It does not sway my opinion on events, event prizes, or event/shard rules.

Did I ever tell you the story of when I was offered 500 bucks privately via paypal for a composite bow with some pretty standard mods? I value my integrity, honor, and self-respect more than I do any game, event item, or RL reward. I can honestly stand before the entire playerbase and tell you that I would not add any item into the game just so people would "like me" - if people don't like me, then so be it. If they do, yay - makes the world go round a lot nicer. I personally think this integrity is what makes the Demise Staff stand out among all others. Sure, mistakes have happened, but those of us who remained do our absolute best to rectify those situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.