UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

The Wolf clan History

Night Wolf, Smoke rises

Night Wolf wanders the land aimlessly drowning in her own sorrow. Its been a full cycle of the moon since she left Oakford. The new Wolf Clan Oakford was the only place that felt like home to her since the death of her parents, and Naga Wolf was like a father to her. Even though she does not always follow the traditional ways of the Wolf Clan, she was accepted for who she was. Night Wolf reflects upon this for awhile. Night Wolf “Maybe if I hide on the out skirts of the village I might be able to see my old friends, and they will never know I was there“.
As Night Wolf approaches the village, she sees large clouds of smoke coming from where the village should be. Night Wolf smells an awful smell she recognized from when she was a young girl. It is the smell of burning flesh. She runs to the village as fast as she can just to find the dead covering the ground . The bodies were burned beyond recognition. Night Wolf “This is my fault, I abandoned them when they needed me the most. Even in my absence I still managed to fail my brothers”.
Night Wolf sees movement in the back darkest corner of what used to be the village. She sees three figures approaching through black smoke. She recognizes them as Two Wolves, Naga Wolf and Silver Wolf emerge from the smoke. They look around at the loss of all their kin. You could hear a feather falling. Two Wolves and Night Wolf’s eyes meet. A new oath has been made, yet never speaking a word. Naga Wolf begins to speak, breaking the silence which felt like an eternity.

Two Wolves

Knight
Peace, but at what price?

The forces of the enemy hauntâ are eventually flee or are destroyed, but at a very high cost. The town and the Wolf lodge are in cinders. Many of the fallen Braves could not be revived even by the strongest medicine.

The last few remnants cut their hair and howl mournfully at the funeral piers. While the women pick though the smoldering debris to scavenge what they can before the weather changes cold - Naga sets out again.

Night Wolf, Thinking back

The young Indians circle Night Wolf, she hears the chant, Night Wolf is a white eye, night wolf is a white eye, Night Wolf is a white eye………… One of the young Indians run in and throws a rock at Night Wolf , and she falls to the ground. The young Indian “Go live with the white eyes where you belong”. Night Wolf jumps up and runs across the village to her hut where Moon Wolf (her mom) and Naga Wolf were conversing. Her mom knew right away she was up set Moon Wolf “Come here Night Wolf, what’s wrong.” Night wolf told her what happened. Moon wolf “(As she wipes the tears from Night Wolfs face.) A true Indian is not judged by the color of their skin, but by their heart and action. I have never seen a young girl who is more of Indian then you. “ Night Wolf stops crying and smiles.

As Night Wolf leaves Moon Wolf begins to cry her self. Naga Wolf who is like a brother to her “What’s wrong”. Moon Wolf “this is my fault.” Naga Wolf “ How so?” Moon wolf tells him About the white eyes who took her innocents the day before her joining. Moon wolf “I have not told any one about this. I thought the pain of my disgrace was bad. Now its night Wolf who suffers and the pain of watching it is more then I can handle. Please don’t repeat this. Its bad enough now if the truth was known of her true blood line it would be devastating for her.”

It not as a surprise in the absents of Night Wolfs parents Naga Wolf was like a father to her. Up to this point he has yet to tell her of her true father. Is it because he’s afraid of what this might do to an already troubled young girl? Perhaps he’s afraid it might fuel her already over whelming hatred towards the white eye. Only Nage Wolf himself can answer to.

Two Wolves

Knight
The Legends are True

Townie’s journal entries indicate that he had trouble corroborating the Wolf Clan legend of Britain being constructed on top of ancestral hunting ground, no supporting evidence existed in the archeological record.

According to the Chipewyan creation story, the Dene (First People) leave the First World and arrive in the Second World (called the Demise shard). After the arrival of the White-Eyes, our ancestors are driven out of the area around what is now Britain; some of the forbearers of what will become known as the Wolf Clan Home Camp pass through the Portal and escape into the Third World unknowingly. Centuries later, Jenca Wolf rediscovered the Portal back to the Second World, travels through it and returns as an adult.

The Survivors of Oakford regroup after Sky Burial of the dead whose bodies were recovered. All dead and missing received the Four Nights Wake.

~Naga Wolf chanting:

Hoxdjára wíra-kujiárega egíxdjî regho-ropó-rok-ra gitcgáires'áje, wira-kujíxdjinîkga regho-ropó-rok-ra dédjâkixdjî gitcgáires'àje.
In the evening, however, when the sun is getting low, then the drum is beaten; when the sun is getting very low then the drum is beaten every once in a while.

Higû´wira-hírega higuâ´-ra howacíra djikére himes'áje.
Finally when the sun actually has set the ghosts start up their dance.

Hijâ´ tce-khigá hâhe djop-óhâ hakikóik-hires'àje giji.
As soon as a newcomer [the recently deceased] arrives from the Four Nights' Wake, the ghosts fight for his possession.

Jee hawîtcgáji épa hicgé djasgánâka jésga djidjéres'àje giji.
When the Four Nights' Wake is over the newcomers arrive, retaining the form they possessed when killed [as they are, they remain].

Wojáwara édja-gadjâ hiratcéraje ánâga djánâga wâkcîk-ra t'éga hâhé djopó-hâregi édja-hínâkje.
The happiness of the Indians who have been killed increases markedly as the fourth night of the Four Nights' Wake is reached.

Higû´pejéregi wâ´k-ra, hinû´k-ra, nîkdjâ´k-nîk-ra jece-'cge Mâ'û´ra e jésge higé.
Subsequently, everyone, whosoever he may be, a woman or child, can speak to Earthmaker.

Ésge wâkcík-nâk-re hanâ´tcî-xdjî t'áiregi édja hirekdjéra wa'unâk-gádjâ.
All the Indians who have been killed eventually come to him.

Wâkcíknarokára Mâ'û´ra e jésge wogáge.
This is so because Earthmaker gave the real Indians [Olekwo'l] just that, [the possibility of coming to him].

Nâghirák-ra sánîk yoiréregi wanâghí tcinâ´k-ra nâkgi iyówaránâkje.
The ghosts travel to the village of the ghosts in a westwardly direction.

Ánâga égi djánâga wónâghirèdja t'egí nâghírak-ra hikikúrukanàîrekdjèje.
Now those who die on the warpath are in control of their own ghosts.

Ge [ánâga] ésge wâkcík-hijâ karacícik-ìrega wonâghirédja t'e-hakikárajirèrâ.
Therefore if people think highly of [love] anyone in their family, they spur him on to die on the warpath.

Wonâghirédja t'ánâka wâk-wóikikax 'uî´re-ánâga cgátc-iracanâ`xdjî 'únâkje.
He who is killed on the warpath truly wears the apparel of man [attains true prestige] and truly enjoys himself.

Ánâga ésge jesgédja t'ekikárajires'àje.
For this reason they adjure one another to die in this fashion.

~The story of how the Wolf Clan (exiles) returned to the Second World:

Later, the trail of the Brigands that were assisting the Dragon Masters was picked up. We tracked them to the Portal. They have been raiding cross-world and we ultimately were able to pursue them back to their Fort, in the Second World.

The trail lead from the Portal that was discovered by Jenca, near Vesper then to the Moongate at Minoc. That is where we lost them for a time. In the Second world the Moongate is connected to a staggering myriad of other strange lands.

The survivors of Oakford – now called the War Band consisted of Naga Wolf, Two Wolves, Night Wolf, Silver Wolf and Whispering Wolf split up to search all lands connected to the Second World. Naga retreated with the Clan’s woman and children back to the area that was the site of Oakford, to find it already occupied with ancient castles and mansion like buildings.

After twenty days searching the call was put out when Night Wolf discovered the Brigand Fort. The War Band responded and converged to get "Blood in Buckets" for each drop of blood that as spilled. Other Second world Wolf Clan descendents heard the call and also responded.

Now the Wolf Clan is locked in unending War, while occupying part of the Brigand's Fort defensive structure and relearning the Old Ways of Customs and Magic Powers that were lost in the Third World.

The new Village is a rallying point for all other scattered Wolf Clan decedents that remained in the Second World and the battle is joined by many new faces, young and old. The legends are true; this is the location of the Sacred Ancestral Hunting Grounds and the Wolf Clan has retuned like a strong wind. Hevovetäso! (there is a whirlwind)

Nétâháoenama, Éhó'tâhéva
Let's pray for swift victory!

\^^^/=>*
(sign of Naga Wolf, Elder Chieftain of the new Wolf Clan village)

Two Wolves

Knight
Warpstone found... changing the earth around it

Naga Speaks, for Thunder Wolf at Council:

Red Shield’s leader Thunder Wolf, just reported back. There are bad omens and strange occurrences lately. We have been watching the hotóhkeo'o meo'o, sign in the sky of the hanging stars trail. Ého'ótseotse éana'ónêstse, then it fell and made thunder. The Hunting Grounds are considered no longer safe for our hunters till the source of the unrest is discovered.

The War Leader, Silver Wolf will be in charge of organizing the patrols. We are currently oversupplied with meat and need all hunters to help warriors keep the watch. This is the report from the patrol rout used by Thunder Wolf.

Starting at the village, first I observe the Brigands. Their reinforcements are very heavy and I was nearly overwhelmed trying to thin them out. Then I struck West from the Brigands fort - South and South West from the shore till Destiny Mansion by the village friend OneOclock - South West from the mansion to the road to the Ranger Huts.

Here I picked up the trail of animal corpses from a poacher. On closer inspection he was not hunting, but killing the animals wantonly, something far worse than what the monsters do, the work of a white-eyes probably. The Rangers were all in their Guild house. I did not greet them. They were not helpful protecting the forest.

Going South East through the fields to the point of the Dragon Home Mountains was a bit too far. We do not travel past the Hedge Maze or hunt in that area. Travel North East from the fields below the Ranger Huts and North East from the river source. On reaching the moongate, turn North West then South West through the pass.

At the cross roads of Yew and Britan there was quite a mess, blood elementals, summoned daemons the corpse of a Titan that had been terrorizing travelers in the area. Two mercenary adventurers were there trying to keep order and had also noticed the poacher; a man on horseback named Zen, they reported.

North from the crossroads, then North West along the Serpent Spine Mountain range, was ambushed by litches then around the Guard Outpost, was found the place where the star trail had fallen and made a deep dark hole in the earth. I climbed down in and there I found, I don’t know the word for it. It was a stone that was part of an evil god. The evil was still in it and it was changing the earth around it where it fell. It is an unclean place and I left it without counting coup (collecting a war honor).

North East from the Guard Outpost, then North West from the cross roads there is the cemetery where I was ambushed again by orcs with a captive. Being surrounded I fought them off with a whirling attack that left all but one dead immediately. There was a wispy nature spirit there that healed me. We spoke briefly then he went to the cemetery and I witnessed him stalk and kill skeletons.

Directly north from the cemetery are the barracks of the Guardsmen of Yew. They must have been out on patrol too. The entire area is becoming jumpy and there is a general hue-cry. Something is coming and I’m getting a bad feeling about it.

North East from the Guardsmen’s barracks is the cursed Yew Graveyard. By that is the head of a mighty river and on the other side, Abby of Repent. The Abby has a foul look about it and whispers of rumors of murders occurring there. What I found was astonishing. They seem to be holding a Noble Lady named Caprice captive in a cage. I could not break through to reach her; this will be reported to the Yew Guards.

North West from the Abby into the Deep Forest then West from the Lake; we do not hunt North of that lake till it is cleared of the Gargoyle menace there. Make South by South West along the shore line and avoid contact with the many settlers there. South from Empath Abby to the edge of Yew and South West from the guarded frontier.

Noticed smoke rising from the central part of town of Yew, but that is not unusual for this time of year. South and East to follow the next mountain range and observe the movements of the Orc Horde to see if they are disturbing the forest or are being riled up. They were calm.

South East from there brings you back home. Finished the rout by thinning out the brigands reinforcements, rest a bit, eat till stuffed and run it again. Maybe check the roads more next go. It is a good path. It covers the borders, but not all roads or Deep Forest.

Patrol Rout:
W from Brigands
SSW from the shore
SW from Destiny house
SE from Ranger Huts
NE from the fields or the Dragon Home
NE around the Hedge Maze
NE from the river source
NW from the Britan Moongate
SW through the Mountain pass
N from the crossroads
NW from the Mountain range
NE from the Guard Outpost
NW from the crossroads
N from the cemetery
NE from the Yew Guards barracks
NW from Abby of Repent
W from the lake
SSW along the shore line
S from Empath Abby
SW from the frontier
S along the Mountain range
SE from the Orc Fort

Two Wolves

Knight
apperance of wolfmother

The Wolf Clan village is visited by a horrible aberration during a council meeting of the Clan Elders. It speaks:

I am wolf mother, known to you as Wolf Blood. I was killed by fire along with the rest of the elderly women taking shelter in the hunting lodge during the final attack on Oakford. In that world, I did not have the power to save them. I have returned to you now to warn of the coming of an ancient enemy.

At first there was great confusion in the spirit world. Then the ghosts of those who were killed started moving in a Westwardly direction. We arrived in the house of the dead, because of the survivors’ observance of the Four Nights Wake. It is not yet know what would have been lost if the War Band had pursued the Brigands immediately and neglected this tradition.

What I found waiting for me in the house of the dead was the Eagle Feather that had followed Silver Wolf into the land of the dead to council with the Spirits of the First People. This Feather has become a powerful totem and is bound to the fate of all Wolf Clan people in all Worlds. It has followed with me too, back to the World of the living and I present it now as a token of my authority.

I say to you. All that was left of the Wolf Clan home camp that you knew, is now gone. The Third World has been destroyed by a method that I do not yet comprehend. Even some who were thought to be safe in the spirit world were destroyed. I traveled to return with the Eagle Feather, back to the land of the living and pass the Portal to the Second World. Along the way, some that were thought to be lost I led through the portal into the Second Word before all was lost.

The same fate may befall the Second World because of the evil that is awakening. You have seen the sign of the falling star trail. Soon there will be a war and other signs that I will tell. For now, I will replace the Council of Elders. How can this be? I say, I am Wolf Mother of the First People and have walked in the World for over three hundred generations.

We must Wake those of the home camp. We must wait for the signs. We must be prepared for war. We have collected “blood in buckets” from the Brigands and they are to be treated as humans once more. We must remember the old ways - master the war powers of the Second World that were forgotten. In this world the blessings of the Nightspirits are potent and I will be seaking them out. We must seek out and gather all scattered Wolf people to ourselves. We must protect Silver Wolf at all costs; her special purpose is about to be reviled. I have spoken!

With a clap of her hands she vanished, leaving the Eagle Feather to flutter to the ground.

Night Wolf, The Unknown

Night Wolf grows close to wolf mother. She hasn’t had a strong female figure in her life since she was a young girl. She enjoys listening to her stories of the ancient world. Wolf Mother talks a lot about the witches of the four winds, and the power of the circle of the innocents within. Night Wolf is intrigued by these stories.

Wolf Mother “ Night Wolf can you Help me apply this toxin to these blades” knowing Night Wolf would not tell her no. She shows Night Wolf the best way to apply the poison. Wolf Mother “You seem to have a gift for this, you would make a good witch. Naga Wolf tells me your ability in combat are some the best he’s seen in his life time. You know there are ancient artifacts in this world which would enhance your ability’s two or even three times over, and all you have to do is find them. Its hard to believe an Indian with abilities such as yours is not a full blood”. Night Wolf “WHAT DO YOU MEAN?”

To be continued……………….

Two Wolves

Knight
The Riddle

“It does not require many words to speak the truth, Wita!” “What do you know of the truth?” Wolfmother’s croaky voice lifts through a wicked smile, but she maintains focus on preparing the poisons.

How is it that you mastered both wacdocewe the Chants of the Ancestors and enuxeho the Study of Demonism of the vehoe? Stalking away at night under the tutelage of the Wizard Hydro, I was there with you; don’t look surprised.

How is it that you do not remember the words of Naga Wolf before the Ghost Ceremony? The trail is so plain to see. The man whose life you spared, the same man who you swore to kill. You know him. You think you know him as the war leader who killed your mother, he who slew your brother. The one who made you who you are, more so even now - here in the Second World where you are bound to the Fate of the Old Ways as am I.

There is an enemy ghost upon you, Pexa! Sly words from a sly old man. Naga divined the source of your pain long before the madness set in. Why do you think that the soldiers returned to pillage and slaughter in your village and not the others? Yes, retuned! Hestónaho!

With that Wolfmother goes on cackling to herself but never speaks further on the subject.

Two Wolves

Knight
haunting signs and omens

Many troubles come to the gates of the Wolf Village. Wolfmother has forced abdication of the Council Elders and now has full authority over tribal affairs. This new order displeases the Red Shields who remain loyal to Naga Wolf. And she has made their leader, Thunder Wolf into her personal errand-boy by having him enter the cities to trade with white eyes for ritual components in bulk, particularly the Nightshade. Something has been set in motion, but exactly what the future holds in store Wolfmother is not saying. Her silence is unnerving, not because of distrust of the Wolf Clan but because in Oakford she prophesied freely and foretold many things.

Recently there has been a break between Night Wolf and Naga Wolf. Something in that spurred Night Wolf on to pack several holy artifacts and leave the village “on the war path” to get her fill of killings. Many rumors circulate of sightings and of her death. This does not sit well with the designs of Wolfmother. She had three and was looking for the fourth. Without Night Wolf, she now needs two more witches to complete the pattern.

Amidst all this the signs and omens are increasing. Something has followed the Braves on patrol out of the Deep Wood. While keeping the night watch, Two Wolves saw a rider. This is not unusual, but a lone rider will stop for hospitality at the village and usually turns out to be Elvin. Two Wolves left by the secret door to follow. Oddly, searching for the rider in the area reviled nothing. On the way back to the village, a figure was seen lurking near the main gate – briefly then it was gone. After watching from a distance for some hours, Two Wolves chanced reentering the village through the gate. Things were quite, for a time then the scratching started.

Two Wolves

Knight
haunting signs and omens, continued

The noise woke Thunder Wolf. Usually a heavy sleeper; everything about Thunder is heavy. He is heaviest and possibly the most physically powerful Wolf that the Thirdworlders have ever seen. He was one of the first from the Second Word, to answer the calls of the war cries against the Brigands. With the Wolf Clan - along with the rest of the Chipewyan Clans being scattered, few of the traditional ways and stories have survived. Naga Wolf was the first Chipewyan Chief to arise in this land for over twenty generations. Thunder Wolf was quick to swear oato, loyalty to Naga Wolf and rose to become leader of the Mahohivas warrior society. This society fell out of use by the Thirdwolders and had nearly vanished from memory in the Second World. His new responsibility, the protection of the Council Elders is Thunder Wolf’s proudest moment.

First he grabs an axe, then he lights a torch off of the central fire pit while grumbling something about vaochexa, forest rats. “Probably after the horse feed” While heading to the main gate he hears a faint puffing sound, po’po’po from overhead. Barely illuminated by torch light is the face of Two Wolves looking down from the upper walk that tops the inside of the village walls. It is only accessible from one location, a plank stair that is concealed back away in the corner of the ico’oxu, village barracks; the furthest point away from the main gate. The gate itself opens into a narrow corridor that winds and twists with several false directions before opening into the inner floor of the village living area. The structure that is now called the village was a fortified extension of the Brigand’s Camp. It was built to withstand attacks and attempts to enter, but would not stand a chance against a prolonged siege. Two Wolves makes the hand sign for nae’e, light, meaning `bring the torch up and see this`. Thunder Wolf shrugs, knowing what is coming and turns around to make his way across the terrain of sleeping forms.

Two Wolves grits his teeth when he sees Thunder Wolf teeter and nearly stomp some of the sleepers on his way to the stairs. Thunder Wolf is a powerful mountain of a man, but not exactly graceful; the Scouts and Hunters of the Clan set a pretty high value on dexterity and stealth - making this performance quite an embarrassment. Once at the top of the stairs, Thunder Wolf has to take the walk along the top of the wall back around to the tower entrance built over the main gate, again at the opposite corner. He decides to take the direction that passes over the horse pens. They meet in the tower and Thunder Wolf shrugs as Two Wolves snatches the torch and gestures `follow me` while saying “ttachexu”, meaning dancer; that turns out to later become Thunder Wolf’s nickname.

Two Wolves and Thunder Wolf crouch below the observation window cut in the West side of the main gate tower. They are directly above the point on the outer wall where the scratching noise has been coming from. They both get up and peer down from out of the opening as Two Wolves drops the torch.

Two Wolves

Knight
leap of faith

It is no vaochexa, but the same form that was seen lurking by the main gate. The torch flame roars softly as it tumbles; the creature throws back its cloak to reveal a bald head, shinny pale skin and a streak of sharpened teeth just before being hit in the face. It shakes off the stunning blow in a shower of sparks and vanishes again into the night with a long hiss. Both Two Wolves and Thunder Wolf are sent reeling from the sight. They glance at each-other to find they are both sitting on the floor, for about one second – then Two Wolves grabs the supply pack for the tower; that includes a bow and about a five-hundred count of arrows, and starts to run for the wall. Thunder Wolf catches his arm and says “hitcokoro”, meaning a vow to fight till death if the other is killed, the literal translation is Bonded. It has a different meaning then that between Blood Brothers or the Blood Oath. It is more commonly used exclusively amongst the Mahohivas, Red Shileds.

It brings back in an instant the memories to Two Wolves mind of all his sins, breaking the dreamquest, breaking the pillars of the creed and leaving Kefka behind in the Third World and the Blood Oath unfulfilled. These thoughts drive his hunger for death in battle even if it will cost the life of Thunder Wolf too. Two Wolves regains his momentum and runs directly for the outer wall where there is a small gap in the ragged battlements. He dives off head first as if into water, but lands deftly on all fours in the form of a wolf. The Wolf turns to head off in the direction of the creature but turns again when Thunder Wolf pops up at the wall saying, “Should I wake Silver Wolf?” She is war chief and is entitled to make the decision how and if an enemy is going to be perused. It is entirely improper for lone Wolf Clan members to strike-out on their own in this manor. The Wolf answers “this .. is .. my .. watch”, but it comes out as a short bark and a growl - then sprints into the nighttime forest. Thunder Wolf takes his meaning and nervously sits to wait what is next to come out of the darkness.

Two Wolves

Knight
Catching shadows in the night

Long time the elusive foe was sought without even a sniff. The Wolf laments, “Oh Cousin – I wish you were with us now.” Two Wolves’s cousin Crazy Wolf was an expert tracker and could follow a shadow on a cloudy day. This night will be unbearable, to have been drawn out of the village alone and return without wak-honak, a war honor.

The Wolf stalks back to the village gate with Thunder Wolf looking on anxiously. “Nea'esemeno Taikomol! Two Woves you are not killed?” Thunder Wolf points down to the far corner of the fence-wall in front of the village facing away from the Brigands Camp. “He returned. He was fighting a wolf. He killed it with a Black Knife. He did not pray or celibate. He disappeared again like a ghost. I thought it was … Why would he kill a wolf here in front of our walls? Why are we being haunted – “ Two Wolves changes back to human form. “Eeqee, Quiet!” “Hitcokoro, Kora! I notice you are still alive!” Thunder Wolf answers, “Wita” in a chiding fashion – that expression is said by women.

It is too risky to break the protections on the gate to the village. Two Wolves paces - searching for something to use for helping to ward off the ghost that can be found nearby. He goes over to the evil markings made on the fence-wall, carved by the creature. There he kneels, scooping ash from the dropped torch a starts to pray.

“Finally when the sun actually has set the ghosts start up their dance.

Fathers, help me make a good fight against this ghost who angers the spirit of the wolves”

The ashes are placed in a small pouch. It is believed that ghosts have an aversion to ashes and Shaman will often toss ash over their shoulder to frighten unseen spirits during rituals. Two Wolves stands out near the first line of trees away from the clearing in front of the village walls to show himself to the enemy. He takes off his leather tunic and headdress to demonstrate fearlessness. It is getting near to dawn. He turns to face the morning star, holds up a fist and calls out in a loud voice, “Here I am Sese`ne`ovotse, Snake!” “Come! Try to take the pelt of This Wolf!” A hissing starts up. It is coming from nearby. First quietly, then getting louder – rhythmically, still louder and turns into hi-pitched peals of psychopathic laughter.

Two Wolves

Knight
deep wounds, cut deep

Heads start to pop up over the wall as the ruckus awakens villagers. Silver Wolf approaches Thunder Wolf because he was the first onlooker. “Pexa! What the hell has Two Wolves gotten up to this time? Why weren’t his movements reported to me? Ueske!” (lit. you are hesitating) “There is a ghost in the woods that is killing wolves. Now Two Wolves is there challenging him to honor combat.” Thunder Wolf’s explanation makes more sense to Silver Wolf then he knows.

Two Wolves was exiled for a time, but has rejoined the family dwelling inside the village here in the Second World; part of the War Band that survived the day of the Great War, (Tsêhe'êsta'éhe) - when the Shire of Oakford burned and the Wolf Clan lodge was burned and many Braves were lost. He will risk anything to improve his social standing. Before it was just jealousy over the fact that Silver Wolf holds the rank that Two Wolves considers his birthright, but now there is something else. The Thirdworlders have been traumatized by the war at Oakford and the news of the loss of the Home Camp in ways that are just beginning to surface. The loss of Night Wolf has been like a deep knife-wound.

“I will t-assste your blood upon my li-psss. Your ey-esss I will eat. Sss-sss-sss” The ghost shows itself from between the trees then vanishes again. Two Wolves draws but does not get the shot. He keeps his draw and takes a few paces back into the clearing. The people watching from inside the village keep silent and still. Two Wolves strains to detect the approach of the enemy and swings the bow from side to side as he scans the edge of the forest. “Sss-sss-sss.” Two Wolves turns to attack but is cut across the back from shoulder to shoulder. He turns again with a cry of pain but the enemy slips away. Two Wolves recognizes the stealth tactics that he knows well himself. But the attack itself was strange. Being able to get that close to strike, it could have been a killer blow, yet the strike was a flesh-would calculated to cause pain and confusion not fatal; giving the enemy time to evade.

Two Wolves can no longer hold the draw and drops the bow, in favor of his trusty skinning knife. He is handy with a knife but not an expert like with the bow. He crouches with his arms out, blade ready – now quickly turning to change facing, not knowing from what direction the attack will come next. “Sss-sss-sss.” Two Wolves sees the figure move like a gray blur and whirls around to strike, catching nothing. It strikes scoring another long slash across the chest this time. Again the ghost tumbles-away back into the woods before Two Wolves can get a bead on it. The wounds themselves are not dangerous, yet - but Two Wolves can feel the skin in the slits rubbing against each other along their long lacerations. “Counter this ghost attack or next will be your throat” Two wolves tries to keep his mind clear as he reaches for the pouch with the ashes from the torch.

Two Wolves

Knight
Wana`ghi Warux, Ghost Chaser

The pouch is un-strung and turned inside out when Two Wolves shoves the torch ashes in his mouth. Knowing that trying to out-react this enemy would be a fatal error, Two Wolves focuses on getting into the attackers timing so that they will be acting simultaneously. “To honor the Fathers” He prays briefly then silences his thoughts.

The sound comes from the front but the attack comes from the back. Two Wolves spins around exhaling a cloud of ashes while dropping down to retrieve the bow. He sees a glimpse of the face of the ghost up close. It has the face of a strangely beautiful woman. There is no time to ponder. Two Wolves is cut again, but the attack misses it mark and he is hit across the forehead. In the confusion, this time it is Two Wolves that manages to make it out-of sight. An arrow zips out of the night and the ghost disoriented, takes off fleeing back into the forest. Two Wolves peruses filling its back with arrows while firing on the move. He breaks off the chase to prevent being drawn out away from the village into new unknown dangers. Now is his chance to safely reenter the village gates.

There is wet blood on the ground and on some foliage. Two Wolves kneels down to examine it. “Human, impossible” *spits* “Putrid”, “The face of a woman?”. “Can’t stay out here” He takes one of the stained leaves – “Let the Shaman figure this out.” and runs back to the village with it.

Back in the clearing the people cheer the sight of Two Wolves return, but he does not answer “korotc”, victory - he is stopped by the sight of the dead body of the wolf that was slain. He had forgotten. Two Wolves goes back for the supply pack that he took with him from the gate tower. It was left where he had jumped off of the fence-wall. He must hurry to reenter the gate before the enemy returns. But the dead wolf is a complicated problem because his spirit must be put to rest immediately and that process can not be rushed.

Two Wolves

Knight
song for little brother

The Wolf Clan people live in a state of harmony and unity with nature. This entails accepting the sometimes harsh realities of living at the mercy of the forces of nature while at the same time trying to entice or appease the nature spirits for protection and prosperity. There is a delicate balance that must be maintained between ensuring the survival of the Family Clan as a group, yet not hording or taking the gifts of nature unnecessarily.

Many of the Wolf Clan traditions revolve around hunting animals. The Wolf Clan people are meat eaters, yet have respect for all living things as possessing a spirit and consider all animals their brothers. This requires sometimes elaborate precautions be observed not to offend the spirits when the need to kill an animal arises. Some of the basics of a group hunt are: to set out to hunt only one type of animal at a time, to make blessings and have the ritual bear/deer dance in preparation for the hunt, to hunt using traditional weapons (bow and spear), to show respect for the prey by not utilizing magic or poison to kill them, to immediately pray over the corpse asking for forgiveness and by not leaving anything useful from the animal behind to rot.

They live in the forests and have many children. They do not know poverty. Yet hunger can be a hard master. Much of the Clan’s prosperity and survival depends on the skill and success of the labor of their Hunters. By not storing or hording the gifts of nature, Wolf Clan people live at the subsistence level requiring a reliable supply of fresh meat to keep hunger at bay. This practice places the Hunters of the tribe at the nexus of balance between physical needs of the ever growing Clan family and the endless slaughter of the forest creatures that are considered brothers and sacred spirits.

A good hunter is a careful hunter and always mindful of the consequences at home of failure - starvation and risks of offending nature, cursing himself or causing the haunting of the home camp from angry animal spirits. Several methods are employed to assist this complex effort. To this end, risk can be minimized by strictly observing traditional hunting rituals that help guide the hunter - to be able to walk the thin line of the harvester of life. Hunting parties are often accompanied by a Shaman for spiritual guidance, healing and to ward off evil spirits.

In a spirit filled world, the life of Wolf Clan people is a life of prayer. There is no Shaman now to help Two Wolves wake the spirit of the wolf that was killed. They must not risk breaching the wards that protect the village till after the sun has fully risen. Two Wolves drops the supply back and kneels next to the carcass. He needs no guidance for this sad task as he has been hunting animals since childhood. The prayers for animals are similar to those of the Honara Djobohora, Ghost Lighting prayers for the dead and he has sung them for the many many dead. Two Wolves strokes its pelt and sings low while retrieving a strip of dried venison from the pack. The tower supplies include meats to help keep those on watch comfortable. The watch is always supposed to be kept by two’s. He places the jerky strip in the wolf’s mouth as a token of a last meal; a poor offering as tradition calls for fresh meat in this case. He prays to the spirit of the wolf.

“Forgive me, my brother. You fought bravely.
Do not be angry. You have lived a long life.
Return to the forest. You no longer need this body.
Become a Wolf again. My people will honor you.
Forgive me, my brother. We will meet again.”

There is a silence for a time, then the people start in singing at a certain time. The song finishes in time with the first light of sunrise that arrives with a green flash. Two Wolves gently lifts the little brother onto his shoulders and carries him into the village. There the women tend to the body. Two Wolves refuses bandages and those that attempt to clean his wounds. The blood of the wolf has mixed with the blood of the knife wound on his back. Two Wolves slumps down on a pile of furs that is in a corner away from the raucous noise of the early morning activity of the villagers for some solace. He knows he will have to answer to Silver Wolf and the council for many things.

Silver Wolf takes charge of the situation...

Two Wolves

Knight
three Scouts

Before pausing to take council from Wolf Mother or the Elders, Silver Wolf calls together the Nota’xeo’o (Warrior Society) Leaders. These three have direct command of the Mahohivas, Xuaz’Honehe and the Hotaniteneo.

Mahohivas (Red Shields) are a secretive organization and self proclaimed protectors of the Elder Chieftain and the Council Elders, carry Axe type weapons and stand by their oath of loyalty to the deposed Chief, Naga Wolf.

There is the Xuaz’Honehe (Crazy Wolves) contrary warriors who whenever they sense combat is near, enter the spirit world and goes berserk - attacking with a ravenous ferocity and total lack of regard for his own life (using Knives and Spears).

The most elite fighters Hotamitaneo (Dog Soldiers) proud, haughty, defiant as should become those who are to grant favors, not beg them, (favors Mace weapons). Dog Soldiers who were chosen to wear sashes of tanned skins called "dog ropes" into battle attached to each dog rope a picket-pin (used to tether horses). The warrior then pushes the pin through the sash, and into the ground, and not move any further than the sash would allow until his fellow warriors were safe or another Dog Soldier released him from his obligation.

The Nota’xeo’o Leaders select and send out one Scout from each order. The scouts are distinguished by their stealth and ability with both hand weapons and the bow. This is the procedure that should have been followed on first contact with the night stalker. Two Wolves would have been chosen to run with them, but now he is injured and must stand before the Council Elders. This is not the first time Two Wolves has broken protocol. In his defense not knowing the spiritual nature of the intruder, his actions did leave the magical protections on the main gate unbroken.

Naga Wolf and Wolf Mother take the stained leaf and the rest of the report by Two Wolves and leave to council on the matter in private. Nothing is heard back from the scouts for seven days.

Finally they return with news…

Two Wolves

Knight
Onion Snow

It is the last desperate snow in early spring that barely covers the ground. It is called the Onion Snow and has caused a freak flurry to blow in from the North East. Wolfmother has gathered the children to tell waika (sacred stories). This type can only be spoken when serpents do not ply the earth. At other times of the year, when snakes live above ground, telling a waika will offend the story's spirit, which may transform itself into a snake and strike dead the raconteur. If a sacred feast falls during the season when snakes are active, the appropriate priest can tell the waika without offending its spirit. The worak is a story spirit spoken about human beings set in recent times, and it often has a tragic ending. It may be told at any time of the year.

“When Taikomol, Solitude-walker created the world he also made four wolf brothers, Blue Wolf, Black Wolf, White Wolf, and Gray Wolf. Earthmaker gave Blue Wolf the name Keratcoga, "Blue Sky," and gave him charge over the day. The second wolf, Cuktcaksepga, was given charge over the night. Cuktcakskaga, White Wolf, was put in charge of all things holy (wakatcak). The last wolf Earthmaker called Hixotcga, "Gray Fur." He was made the protector and guardian of humanity. Originally, the four brothers roamed the earth, but in time only Gray Wolf remained above ground, the other brothers having gone to live beneath the earth. The three subterranean wolves still appear in the fasting dreams, but all the wolves that we see today on earth are descended from Gray Wolf.”

“Gray Wolf tried to turn himself into a human to live in our society, but he succeeded only in becoming a white dog. Nevertheless, in this capacity he helped his master fight against a large enemy warparty. He spilled so much human blood that his coat turned red. Ever after he was known as Ma’onehe, "the red wolf." Wolf possesses a particularly wakatcak-sahato (holy artifact), a wooden hoop with a cross of string inside it, to the middle of which is attached a shrunken piece of buckskin from a White Hart. The hoop is the earth and the crossed strings are the path to anywhere on its surface. The shrunken buckskin at the center is the power to shrink any distance on earth so that no place is too far for him to reach. This relic is his warbundle. On other occasions Wolf assumed the form of a man to fight evil spirits preying on human beings. Since his powers are concerned mainly with war and hunting, he is revered along with the great hunting spirits, the Herok'a. He won his wife as a prize for taking first war honors in an expedition led by the Chief of the Herok'a. His war powers are considerable, and among the great spirits who have gone on the warpath beside him, he stands behind only Storms as He Walks and Redhorn.”

Wolfmother then rose and walked over to open the gate. “Finally they return with news.” The children came to see. And the Three Scouts returned just then. On entering the village they shook to clear themselves of snow, to the delight of the gathered children. This is the story they told about tracking the ghost that killed the wolf.

They tracked the ghost along the road as it fled to take cover in the crater created by the hotohkeo'o meo'o. When they looked in, the ghost was gone but the bottom of the crater was now an opening to a cavern leading to a network of tunnels. They climbed down and searched for the ghost. The ghost had been joined by another ghost whose name was Red Shadow. Together they had managed to move the fragment of the evil god stone into a nearby egg chamber in the Solon territory and placed it on an evil sign, like the one that was carved on the fence wall. They stayed there till the wolf killer was healed. They then tracked the pair back to Repent Abby, East of the Deep Wood. There next to the desecrated alter, was built a tower-monument to another evil god that they worshiped and sacrificed and were bidden to torture animals. The souts hid and kept watch on the tower for four days and did not see anything enter or leave. Yet the screams and sounds of animals being killed would come at night from all around. Being out of provisions, not free to hunt and out positioned, the scouts returned by a circuitous rout. Along the way they came upon workers and soldiers from the city building new outposts near the road. They were able to approach in stealth very close to the men without being seen. They learned that the soldiers had been sent to prevent attacks by natives on travelers to Yew and to put down the uprising by force.

Two Wolves

Knight
Etonoeve, it is in the autumn

The villagers turn and rouse in the greasy blue darkness of pre-dawn. One by one they roll up their sleeping mats and light torches on the central fire pit. Ho’esta the central campfire grows and shrinks, but never dies. It is the center of activity and of family life in the Wolf Clan village. The people form a great circle facing east and at a certain time start to sing,

The Sun is a yellow shield
Borne up the blue path
By Keratcoga

The moon is the torch
Of Cuktcaksepga
Who stumbles over the stars

The Track of the sun
Across the Sky
Leaves its shining message

Illuminating,
Strengthening,
Warming,

We, the Dene who are yet here,
Showing us we are not alone,
We are yet ALIVE!

And this fire... <drum beat>
Our fire... <drum beat>
Shall not die

There is a silence for a time, then the people start in singing at a certain time. The song finishes in time with the first light of sunrise that arrives with a green flash. This is the way that it has always been, this is the song sung by the First People when they set out seeking the sunrise; and taught it to their children on the long journey.

Greeting the sunrise is the traditional way that the Wolf Clan family starts their morning activity. And there is a great deal of work to do to prepare for the Xaek, festival moon that comes. Etonoeve, it is in the autumn and the elders are watching for Trammel in Full and Felucca in its waxing crescent called ma’utott, literally translated the Red Moon.

It will be a harvest festival and the Wolf Clan family has grown large and has seen many new things in the world since the Three Scouts returned.

Two Wolves

Knight
territorial dispute

The tribe watches closely the destruction that follows in the wake of rapid construction of not the one, but three military garrisons in the center of their hunting grounds.

As the patrols of the soldiers slowly expand, eventually they discover the location of the Wolf Clan village and the hostilities with the Brigands. The Commander demands a meeting with the Chief in order to lay down the law.

Naga Wolf agrees to meet and the clan is informed that they have ten days to vacate the village or be met by military force. The situation is not helped by Two Wolves's constant harassment of the soldiers or by his declaration of territorial dispute.

The Wolf Clan has returned to their ancestral hunting grounds. The disputed territory includes all Towns, Villages, Outposts and other Unnatural structures West of Brit and the Serpent’s Spine Mountains - from the Ranger Hut’s North to Empath Abby and much of the Deep Forest there.

This land will be returned to its natural way and cleared of evil spirits. I have seen your deeds for land and I know your writing. I say to you, nothing can be sold, except things that can be carried away. No tribe has the right to sell these things. Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth? You White-Eyes would change the rivers and mountains if they did not suit you. We, the Olekwo'l were contented to let things remain as the Great Spirit Chief made them.

We, the Dene will put-under-the-knife those murderous White-Eyes that now occupy the Fort between, what you call in your language, the Serpent’s Spine and Peaks of Disgrace Ranges.

I, Two Wolves and many Wolf Braves have been given the gift of war-powers so that we might attain our fill of limbs.

It is not necessary for eagles to be crows. Now we are poor but we are free. No White-Eye controls our footsteps. If we must die, we die defending our rights (meaning, traditional way of life). I have spoken.

Night Wolf, The legend

A long time has passed since the disappearance of night wolf . The memory of her assistance (legend to some myth to others) is now just a story told to young braves sitting around the camp fire. Some say she committed suicide, some say she was murdered in her sleep, and yet others say she died in battle. No one really knows for sure what happened to her however all the stories show her passing to the land of the dead. There are tales in the whispering wind that the crack of the thunder before a storm is the rage once bottled up inside this young girl and the smell of the rain evaporating as the sun hits the freshly dampen ground is her promise to return. Will anyone ever really know what happened to night wolf ?