UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

The server is being racked right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armistices

Sorceror
Re: The server is being racked right now

Sweet, thanks Ryan and the other amazing people who make up the Hybrid staff for this server upgrade and all of your efforts! And a big thanks to Mark and Countessa, as their more than generous expenditure of time and energy yesterday made it so that even a dummy like me could get my account issues resolved; those two are easily some of the greatest and kindest persons running a UO shard I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with. =]

Anjuna

Wanderer

Izual;2063253 said:
Damn, Dallas > Washington ^

QFT

I wont speak yet, but for us West Coasters moving a server to East Coast typically screws us over. With the game mechanics of UO and the disrupt oriented PVP, we could be hurting now. That 80-140ping vs 10-40ping is going to be rough.

Lament

Knight

Anjuna;2063270 said:
QFT

I wont speak yet, but for us West Coasters moving a server to East Coast typically screws us over. With the game mechanics of UO and the disrupt oriented PVP, we could be hurting now. That 80-140ping vs 10-40ping is going to be rough.

not necessarily, sometimes a move will make you faster even if its farther away.

in my case: one of my routes to the old server was busted up, so it fucked up my ping.

hopefully this will improve overall performance

However, I hope we dont lose players in all the confusion ie. japs and euros that dont use the forums or wont bother to retrieve the new IP :[

The real keith

Sorceror

I think you misunderstand, they are moving the server like one or two states away, which would be a very small change to your speed. But they are moving it to a BETTER internet connection. We used to be on IPv4, now we're gonna be on IPv6. So the new connection out-ways the distance by far.

warreng

Wanderer

Anjuna;2063270 said:
QFT

Now you know how we felt. lol

Well I live on the east coast so I won't comment on my side of things.

As far as others are concerned, it will greatly increase their performance. You will see a lot of the Japanese and Europeans receiving much better ping compared to their typical 200+. It may decrease for some, but this is good for server growth, and getting those outside of the states to come and play.

Anjuna

Wanderer

Lament;2063272 said:
not necessarily, sometimes a move will make you faster even if its farther away.

in my case: one of my routes to the old server was busted up, so it fucked up my ping.

hopefully this will improve overall performance

However, I hope we dont lose players in all the confusion ie. japs and euros that dont use the forums or wont bother to retrieve the new IP :[

Oh I agree! That's why I wont make a judgment yet, but my experiences in the past have reflected what I said on other shards and other games. It sucks, but that tends to be reality. Hopefully the upgrades will in fact improve and maybe I will be routed through some better servers! lol

OH MY GOD............................YES JUST FUCKIN....... YESSS

Anjuna

Wanderer

warreng;2063275 said:
Now you know how we felt. lol

I don't know if you have recently looked at a map of the United States, but you might notice the fact that Dallas, Texas is in fact pretty close to the CENTER of the United States horizontally. :p

Anjuna;2063283 said:
I don't know if you have recently looked at a map of the United states, but you might notice the fact that Dallas, Texas is in fact pretty close to the CENTER of the United States horizontally. :p

Maybe it's not about the United States. Perhaps Ryan is trying to incorporate more countries in a more effective manner?

FacePump;2063286 said:
or maybe it was just the best bang for teh buck..

This is also true. Regardless he still opened a window for a lot of people.

Side note: Hopefully he gets Divinity finished soon.

Anjuna

Wanderer

the horse men.[tHm];2063285 said:
Maybe it's not about the United States. Perhaps Ryan is trying to incorporate more countries in a more effective manner?

Well in your theory, geographically you would be moving the server further from the Asian countries. And form what I have seen, they dominate our server besides North Americans.

If what they are saying is true, with IPV6, the server would have performed best in Dallas as it is still similar distance in comparison to Europe vs Asia.

This is of course with out any knowledge of availability of technologies and knowledge of server farms. It's more of making an observation, because no matter what, distance adds time.

Anjuna

Wanderer

FacePump;2063286 said:
or maybe it was just the best bang for teh buck..

That is probably the case. Or some one on the server knows a friend of a friend type thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.