UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

The City of Moonglow [Glow] - Roleplay Guild

The City of Moonglow

Description: The City of Moonglow makes its home upon Verity Isle, which holds namesake to the city's presiding virtue of Honesty. Magery and the other arcane arts have thrived within the city's walls since its inception; those who wish to explore, research and entertain any pursuit of knowledge find Moonglow to be an invaluable resource. Currently the City of Moonglow is governed by a council of five - each member with unique responsibilities to maintain the mission of Moonglow and uphold the virtue of Honesty.

The Council: There are five members who make up the Council of Moonglow. It is their charge to always
advance the interests of the city. The members are such:
  • Hand of Honesty: The Hand of Honesty is the chairperson of the council and is considered to be the regent of Moonglow. The only time this position will vote on matters brought to the council is in the event of a tied vote to prompt a resolution. The Hand of Honesty may also make city-wide decrees on his/her own behalf or on behalf of the council. The other members of the council are appointed by the Hand of Honesty. [Required skills: Magery]
  • Captain, Guard: The Captain of the Guard of Moonglow is responsible for the city's defenses and for maintaining the ranks of its armed forces, including naming an Admiral to command the guard during sea battles. [Required skills: Magery, Any combat skill]
  • Keeper, Zoo: The Keeper of the Moonglow Royal Zoo is an experienced animal handler who is responsible for the zoo grounds and for instructing other handlers. The members of the Moonglow Royal Zoo may use their pets to aid in the defense of the city or to advance its interests elsewhere. [Required skills: Animal Taming, Magery]
  • Rector, Lycaeum: The Rector of the Lycaeum is a renowned scholar who dictates the curriculum of the Lycaeum and the pursuits of its mages and scholars. [Required skills: Magery]
  • Commissioner: The Commissioner is responsible for lesser city functions such as: endorsing affiliated traders, naming an astronomer to the observatory, ordaining a preacher of Honesty, and declaring a Master Illusionist of the Illusionist's Guild. The Commissioner will also serve as judge during criminal trials and breach of decree. In the event of impartiality or inability to act, the Commissioner may name another council member to serve in his/her stead. [Required skills: Magery, Any craft skill]
The Guard: The members of Moonglow's military order. The ranks are such:
[Required skills: Magery, Any combat skill]
  • Captain, Guard: Council member, see above.
  • Master, Guard / Admiral, Guard: Masters may lead Moonglow's knights and squires in battle as well as recommend squires to knighthood. The Admiral is appointed by the Captain to lead battle on the sea.
  • Knight, Guard: Knights are decorated warriors of Moonglow's Guard and have proven to uphold the virtue of Honesty on their journey.
  • Squire, Guard: Squires are the entry level men and women of Moonglow's Guard.
The Lycaeum: The members of Moonglow's scholastic order. The ranks are such:
[Required skills: Magery]

• Rector, Lycaeum: Council member, see above.
  • Scholar, Lycaeum: Scholars are the instructors and primary researchers of the Lycaeum. They are often considered experts in one or more aspects of the arcane arts.
  • Mage, Lycaeum: Mages of the Lycaeum are well-versed in the arcane arts and have accomplished enough study to conduct individual research and to practice alone.
  • Student, Lycaeum: Student are new members to Lycaeum who are just beginning their studies.
The Moonglow Royal Zoo: The caretakers of Moonglow's prestigious zoo. The ranks are such:
[Required skills: Animal Taming, Magery]
  • Keeper, Zoo: Council member, see above.
  • Ranger, Zoo: Rangers are esteemed naturalists who may command other naturalists in endeavors to advance the goals of Moonglow.
  • Naturalist, Zoo: Naturalists of the Moonglow Royal Zoo have proven their ability to control their pets and may use them to defend the city.
  • Handler, Zoo: Handlers of the Moonglow Royal Zoo are entry-level animal trainers who help take care of the zoo grounds and may use their pets to aid in city-led pursuits.
Other Badges: The other citizens of Moonglow may be seen as such:
  • Astronomer: Lead scholar and operator of the Moonglow Observatory.[Required skills: Magery]
  • Blacksmith, Tailor, Tinker, Carpenter, etc.: Endorsed artisans who are affiliated with the City of Moonglow. [Required skills: Respective craft skill]
  • Master Illusionist: Leader of the Illusionist's Guild training other scholars in the arts of fortified protection and summoning creature through the use of the arcane arts. [Required skills: Magery, Inscription]
  • Preacher: Devoted scholar to the virtue of Honesty who will forever keep the concepts of truth within the minds of the city.[Required skills: Magery]
  • Citizen: Member of the City of Moonglow who has yet to determine a path of service.
Rules and Pertinent Information:
  • All characters must stay in-character at all times. Guild chat is the only exception.
  • Characters must have a UNIQUE name fit for roleplay. Do not use names from known works of fiction. (i.e. Merlin, Legolas, Drizzt, etc.)
  • Mounts of choice are any living mount or an ethereal llama.
  • One item of clothing or one piece of armor should be dyed by a Special Dye Tub or a Leather Dye Tub in a hue of blue or valorite.
  • Council members will be known by wearing midnight blue cloth received from tailoring bulk order deeds - no other members should wear this hue.
  • No neon or named items should be worn. Only items marked by endorsed artisans may carry a maker's mark.
  • All citizens of Moonglow are human.
  • The Moonglow Guard and Council Members may wear Valorite Robes and Valorite Cloaks.
  • The Council Members may govern their ranks as they see fit, thus why the descriptions are pretty open.
  • The citizens of Moonglow recognize the eight virtues, holding Honesty as their leading virtue. For more information on virtues you can read: http://www.uoguide.com/Virtues or http://uo.stratics.com/content/virtues/virtues.shtml
  • The alignment of Moonglow will be considered Lawful Neutral - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)#Lawful_Neutral
Contact Information:
  • AIM: Loreli de la Paz

awsome

Traveler
Good idea in theory...unfortunately...fizzzzzzzzzzzle.

Edit: I'm gonna take that back and give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they are just working extra hard to get this up and running. I hope so, I'd actually like to be a part of this.

awsome

Traveler
I think an urban rp setting would be good for this shard. I'm not sure glow is the right location, but I'm willing to give it a shot. What I am referring to is ALL the RPers gather and create storylines for one city, rather than being spread out as we currently are. Unfortunately that would be difficult for orcs/und/tcd & other red rpers, as griefers would hit the cities hard if they were there. :(

Spudler

Wanderer
Griefers already hit Kinship Tavern hard, LOL, so I'm accustomed to that. I like your idea, though. I don't know much about the RP guild history on Hybrid, but I know few shards that don't reward well-organized Roleplaying communities with their own town/items, etc. I understand there is a created island somewhere on the map, but to my knowledge no one is ever there (besides the one raid).

If we can make a big enough splash on the shard, I like to be optimistic and think the GMs would help us centralize our community. You are right: being stretched out thin dilutes the RP potential.

Zleck

Wanderer
If there was one RP guild for each town/city then the shard's RP community would be a lot more action.

Spudler

Wanderer
Hmm. I see your point. I think a successful setup would be to have a communal RP area (please inform me if that is what that one island is for), and also designated towns. By default we already have towns we call home more or less, Watchers are Minoc/Vesper, Orcs are Yew, RSB are Skara Brae, etc.

awsome

Traveler
In my experience, the most successful rp situations have revolved around everyone being in one town. Trinsic was the RP hub on LS in the late 90's early 2000's and Yew was the RP hub on Catskills in the early to mid 2000's. Unfortunately, that doesn't always suit everyone's RP. It wouldn't make much sense for the Rangers of Skara Brae to be trying to get a foothold in Trinsic, or even patrolling the inner city. That's their problem. Just like it doesn't make sense for Orcs to uproot themselves out of their lands and go elsewhere.

Having said that, RP seems to be up and coming on the shard. There are new guilds every 5 seconds that WANT to RP lol. Most fizzle out, but some maintain their foothold, like us Rangers & the Watchers.

Spudler

Wanderer
Agreed. It takes away some guilds' purpose for even existing. The Watchers defend a specific area, for example.

It would be much more fitting to have a communal RP area/town. RPers wouldn't have to aimlessly run all over the world to find other RPers, they would just need to check their home location and the communal area. If each group made an effort to visit the communal area now and then (or all the time depending on how often you can play), the community would definitely be strengthened I think.

Spudler

Wanderer
I wasn't sure if that was ever used by anyone or not. We should start using it. I realize this may be more difficult to justify for the orcs, besides raiding it. But I'm sure if we brainstorm we can come up with a reason why several different groups would frequent the same location.

Since its inception until very recently there has been no real interest in this guild, which has also made my own interest in running it wane and fizzle. I have decided instead to refocus my efforts away from a RP guild since I had some interest in that already. If anyone wants to take up this idea and run with it, that would be great and I encourage it as well as offer my support.

The shard has had many RP towns. Originally RP was structured around Yew. The Orcs controlled a cave and later moved into the Yew Orc fort which became the focal point of RP guilds. Guild Masters attempted to build their guilds near the orcs to keep the RP community together. TcD was in the clearing just north of the orc fort.

Later came Tenebrae I which was located on the Island of Ocllo. The first Ocllo town was mainly a centralized area for good guilds since the evil aligned guilds already had their base of operation centered around the Yew Orc Fort. This town thrived for a long while with many interactions and events.

Later came a whole RP realm. You had to go through teleporters to get to it. It was a whole other facet setup for RP'ers. Tamers soon overwhelmed the facet due to the fully spawned dungeons. I do not know if this remains or not. The RP guilds each had houses on this facet that were built with the aide of the "Seers". TcD had one in a mountain. Old ruins ontop of the mountain with a hole in the ground leading to our crypts.

Then came Tenebrae II which was once again in Ocllo. All the guilds hadoutposts here aside from their main guild houses. Once again the Seers assisted with building specialized houses and held events here for rper's and non'rper's in an attempt to promote RP on hybrid.

After this they built a giant customized castle in a clearing east of the Yew Orc fort to act as a centralized meeting spot for guilds and rpers. It came fully spawned with NPC's and had walls and was the first made completely of customize house plots so that they could ban griefers from the main gates.

Next attempt by staff came in the form of two islands. One for Good and one for Evil. Each was equipped and designed appropriately to the alignment and guilds had houses on these islands. TcD had a hidden crypt in the small gy on the evil island that you had to double click on a skull to reveal the hole in the ground to the crypt. Each island had a town in the center with walls and one entrance. The entrance had a cannon which shot murderers on the good island and blue's on the red island. The cannon would bring you down to just a few HP so the RPer's could easily defend against griefers by using the cannons. The entry way was also a customized house so that those repeat griefers were banned from the town and eventually the island. The two islands were attached by an underground mine shaft. You could also sail from one dock to another.

Eventually they thought that due to the low numbers of rper's that two islands was too much and so they removed the evil island and concentrated on the good island which all rper's had a place at.

Finally the last attempt that I know of from staff is the newer island from the time I stopped playing which had key words to teleport certain guilds to nearby locations of their guild house. Once for the paladins took you to the Inn by Brit GY.

That is as much as I can remember right now. I will try to find some screenshots some time.

Nok'Tor

Sorceror
I would say if these towns had a good & evil faction set up it would be used alot more. if each section of the city had a Node that one guild or another could capture. Capturing would give you control of certain things in the city (prices on stuff, vendors available, ect.). maybe we could even get points for killing each other and use those points to spawn npc guards or watchmen that would alert us of enemy guilds if they got to close. this is all just dreaming lol. But still if there was a reason for people to use Zorum Barugh I think it would be exactly what we are looking for.

Spudler

Wanderer
Thanks for the history, Plague_Spores! That is very good information to know when joining the RP community.

I think we should try to frequent Zorum Barugh and make it RP central. From the GMs' point of view, they have already given us a place to roleplay. If we don't use it, they may not be particularly inclined to give us more. This is all speculation, of course, I can't read their minds.

Please let me know how you feel about this idea. I am more than willing to make an effort and be present in this area to promote the idea.