UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Swine Flu Outbreak

Fana

Wanderer
Re: Swine Flu Outbreak

a-e-i-Own-you;544153 said:
So just because other people make jokes about things like the plague and smallpox, that makes it okay for you to do it too?

I just find that highly illogical.

did you disregard everythign else i said ?

"i had that when i was a kid, the one thing it remember was making fun of connecting dots while i had it so i feel perfectly comfortable making fun of it ."

THATS why i make fun of it not because "the cool kids are doing it and its the new pink"

now if thats enough reason to be okay to make fun of it, well maybe when the disease was first known to mankind and killed tons of ppl it wasnt.
but i dont live in that era, and in my era i had that and we made fun of dot connecting.
simple as that.

SirSotam;544158 said:
you existance its illogical to me, so you see how relative it is.. and no one gives a fuck about your logics.

How is my 'existence being illogical' relative as well as relevant to making fun of smallpox being illogical?

Probably the dumbest dribble I've ever seen a Portugese spew,

Go buy a brain. I hear they're a dime a dozen in Portugal, although they probably don't function too well, and I doubt you could afford one anyways.

Fana;544181 said:
did you disregard everythign else i said ?

Nope, I actually read it all (to my thorough displeasing).

Cool, you survived smallpox. Millions of people didn't; and you're making a total mockery of the inevitable death that headed their way.

blah

blah

blah

You're still fucking stupid

Fana

Wanderer

a-e-i-Own-you;544184 said:
Nope, I actually read it all (to my thorough displeasing).

Cool, you survived smallpox. Millions of people didn't; and you're making a total mockery of the inevitable death that headed their way.

blah

blah

blah

You're still fucking stupid

I survived because i connected the dots.

Fana

Wanderer

Sundoom;544185 said:
cute.. now quit flaming the thread and get back on topic...

Sorry just stepped beyong topic to try and explain the ignorant guy that refuses to reason.

do you think theyll take any extreme measures to quarenteen soon?

how is it less than 2000 ppl got infected and their fearing global pandemic ?

is the disease airbourne or by direct contact?

Sundoom

Sorceror

Fana;544197 said:
Sorry just stepped beyong topic to try and explain the ignorant guy that refuses to reason.

do you think theyll take any extreme measures to quarenteen soon?

how is it less than 2000 ppl got infected and their fearing global pandemic ?

is the disease airbourne or by direct contact?

It's to late to quarantine now, a quarantine is when they isolate the virus in or into controlled environments (meaning that if they could get all infected in designated areas and prevent them from leaving, agencies can then focus their attention to just one situation of curing the victims, instead of tracking down infected, preventing airline travels as much as possible without crippling the airlines themselves, finding cures, dealing with all the new cases continuously coming up, etc), however, the disease is still spreading, because no airlines can completely cut off travel, simply because people "have" to get somewhere, they can only prevent non-essential travels from leaving and can only inspect so many people arriving, without delaying arrivals and departures.

Otherwise airlines in general will be in an even worse crisis than they already are, further deteriorating the global trade system. (And as far as anyone is concerned, this would mean the gas prices would go up even more than they already have.)

No, they already said near 2000 were infected in Mexico, but another 1,300 cases were reported in Mexico today, so just under 4,000 cases have been reported, unfortuantly those numbers are still climbing.

9 Countries have been infected with the virus. 11 States in the U.S. are infected as well. It's spreading on a global scale, that's why they're fearing a global pandemic.

The virus is jumping from one human to another, by human touch has been confirmed, but there is still possibilities the virus can infect human beings by just being in close proximity of an infected human.

Fana

Wanderer

Sundoom;544203 said:
It's to late to quarantine now, a quarantine is when they isolate the virus in controlled environments, however, the disease is still spreading, because no airlines can completely cut off travel, simply because people "have" to get somewhere, they can only prevent non-essential travels from leaving and can only inspect so many people arriving, without delaying arrivals and departures.

Otherwise airlines in general will be in an even worse crisis than they already are, further deteriorating the global trade system.

No, they already said near 2000 were infected in Mexico, but another 1,300 cases were reported in Mexico today, so just under 4,000 cases have been reported, unfortuantly those numbers are still climbing.

9 Countries have been infected with the virus. 11 States in the U.S. are infected as well. It's spreading on a global scale, that's why they're fearing a global pandemic.

The virus is jumping from one human to another, by human touch has been confirmed, but there is still possibilities the virus can infect human beings by just being in close proximity of an infected human.

I see , well if it goes airborne then it will be a catastrophe.
prolly worst if it spreads to third world countries.

hard thing is that virus gets into person and stays infecting tons before it actually manifests.

Sundoom

Sorceror

Seems I misread what the media was saying on Swine Flu in Mexico...

"The first cases of the virus were detected in Mexico, where health officials suspect swine flu in more than 150 other deaths and roughly 2,500 illnesses. Only 26 cases have so far been confirmed, including the seven fatal cases."

Kiluad

Sorceror

fluffhead321;543424 said:
So you agree vaccines do work to an extent then?

also as far as people and children getting sick. What you said is true, but the fact of the matter is, those statitiscs I showed you have numbers from pre-vaccination days, and then post-vaccination era, outlining teh fact that since a vaccine was introdruced infection rate has dramatically been reduced.

This has not changed over the last 70 years so dramtically that it would account for 82% or much greater decline in the disease...The change is that a vaccine was introduced in that timespan.

Also, for all intensive purposes, small pox has been "eradicated". They have small stores on hand as protection from biological war. But thats why we dont get it or get vaccinated for it anymore. Fact of the matter is before the vaccination people got small pox and now people dont...

Also, I'd forgotten about Tetanus vaccinations. that has been dramatically decreased since vaccinations.

Here another good couple paragraphs pulled from DrSpock DOT com

"Other evidence that vaccines, and not other factors, are responsible for helping reduce disease is when immunization programs are cut back, there are rapid increases in cases of disease. For example, when Great Britain, Sweden, and Japan cut back on the use of pertussis vaccine, the effect was dramatic and immediate. In Great Britain, pertussis vaccination rates fell in 1974, and by 1978 there was an epidemic of more than 100,000 cases of pertussis and 36 deaths. Sweden and Japan had similar experiences."

"Also, in the former Soviet Union, when the immunization rate for diphtheria fell, the number of cases rose from 839 in 1989 to nearly 50,000 in 1994-including 1,700 deaths."

Well, i wasn't originally speaking about all vaccines as a whole, i was keeping with the context of the thread and speaking about the flu, you simply can't protect people with a vaccines for the flu.

Certain things make sense, and certain things don't. Getting a vaccine for most things simply does not make sense. All i wanted to say really, especially for the flu.

There's some diseases it will help block, but there's a bunch people get that can after having one infect other people and/or become ill with the disease themselves. A lot of these vaccines don't make a whole lot of sense to be doing when you look at the figures, though i don't have a lot of hard figures right now, i can say that 5% of people getting the smallpox vaccine contracted smallpox at one time, those people were also able to spread the disease to others, which created extreme outbreaks all around the countries that were giving people vaccines.

radio was also introduced in those time periods, there's a lot of things that were introduced, indoor plumbing, etc. Mass media alone has saved hundreds of thousands of people from becoming sick, knowing that washing your hands is a good way to stay free of a lot of illnesses, there's a lot more to it than vaccines alone. When mass vaccines come out, so does knowledge of the illness and a sort of paranoia about it. Lets take aids and the late 80s early 90's into account, it's not curable, easily transmitted, there's no vaccine, but the number of people with HIV and aids is declining in places that have good solid information about the disease.

fluffhead321

Sorceror

Kiluad;544422 said:
radio was also introduced in those time periods, there's a lot of things that were introduced, indoor plumbing, etc. Mass media alone has saved hundreds of thousands of people from becoming sick, knowing that washing your hands is a good way to stay free of a lot of illnesses, there's a lot more to it than vaccines alone. When mass vaccines come out, so does knowledge of the illness and a sort of paranoia about it. Lets take aids and the late 80s early 90's into account, it's not curable, easily transmitted, there's no vaccine, but the number of people with HIV and aids is declining in places that have good solid information about the disease.

After this comment I am officially done.

My imformation about the comparison of the illnesses is largery based from the 60s and forward...One from the 40s, and one from the 20s

In those times, we had radio (hell we had TV) Indooring plumbing and so on, and had for a while. pls check you facts and mine before arguing...Its pointless if the other person is just verbally deficating.
The decline in AIDs is largery based on infomation and how difficult it is to get

small pox vaccine too wasnt actually smallpox. it was a small amount of a weaker disease known as Cow Pox. Therefor, no one actually contracted smallpox from the vaccine...
thats it
I'm done.

also
thanks GOP
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/27/gop-stripped-flu-pandemic_n_191732.html

Oaks

Knight

A fellow student in my neighbourhood (UK) has today been diagnosed with the swine flu, and her and her housemates are now being treated.

Hello world!

Kiluad

Sorceror

fluffhead321;544565 said:
After this comment I am officially done.

My imformation about the comparison of the illnesses is largery based from the 60s and forward...One from the 40s, and one from the 20s

In those times, we had radio (hell we had TV) Indooring plumbing and so on, and had for a while. pls check you facts and mine before arguing...Its pointless if the other person is just verbally deficating.
The decline in AIDs is largery based on infomation and how difficult it is to get

small pox vaccine too wasnt actually smallpox. it was a small amount of a weaker disease known as Cow Pox. Therefor, no one actually contracted smallpox from the vaccine...
thats it
I'm done.

also
thanks GOP
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/27/gop-stripped-flu-pandemic_n_191732.html

cowpox wasn't the original vaccine used. and even though they usd cowpox, people still became ill. furthermore im not trying to argue, just stating facts about the reality around vaccines.

Yes the decline in aids is due to mass media (Radio/TV), it's also not all that hard to contract, look at africa, cases are getting worse.

You can't say, well we had indoor plumbing, tv and radio for years so it's not able to be credited, this isn't being realistic and following the facts, everyone didn't get indoor plumbing a radio and tv as soon sa they came out, in fact, all of those took years and years to be accepted, if someone told you to start pooping in your house before you had indoor plumbing or even understood the concept completely, im sure you would tell them off and ignore them.

look at the combination of them, you have a risk of getting sick, you hear it on the radio or tv, you also have indoor plumbing and are told to stay clean, it's easy to stay clean when you don't have to walk outside and plump every time you need some water. people also don't pay much attention to things they know nothing about, if they were never taught how to stay away from illnesses, as you can clearly see with aids, they continue to spread it and increase the numbers of people who get it and have it.

You're ignoring a lot of facts about the situation, though i would love nothing more than to help you turn this into an ad hominem battle of wits that has nothing to do with the subject (read: Its pointless if the other person is just verbally deficating), i won't.

Khephren

Knight

Montreal is awaiting its first case confirmation from the nationnal lab in Winnipeg(they confirmed something new here but they need to match with them to make it official)

thing that is scary is that incubation period of a virus is usually beetween 1 and 2 weeks, so technically, ALOT of people are already infected and dont even know it.

fluffhead321

Sorceror

Kiluad;544623 said:
You're ignoring a lot of facts about the situation, though i would love nothing more than to help you turn this into an ad hominem battle of wits that has nothing to do with the subject (read: Its pointless if the other person is just verbally deficating), i won't.

yeah a bit uncalled for I'll admit
But I got what I wanted out of that...A cited fact

Khephren

Knight

Khephren;544636 said:
Montreal is awaiting its first case confirmation from the nationnal lab in Winnipeg(they confirmed something new here but they need to match with them to make it official)

thing that is scary is that incubation period of a virus is usually beetween 1 and 2 weeks, so technically, ALOT of people are already infected and dont even know it.

Case was just confirmed !

That means, get ready for more !

Sundoom

Sorceror

For the full story with every detail, follow the link provided.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/30/swine.flu.outbreak/index.html

"GENEVA, Switzerland (CNN) -- Confirmed cases of swine flu worldwide increased to 257 on Thursday, up significantly from the previous day's total of 147, the World Health Organization reported."

18 more cases confirmed in the U.S.
12 more deaths in Mexico

"Officials in Mexico said they suspect more than 150 deaths there were caused by swine flu and are continuing to investigate."

"Mexico, with 97 confirmed infections Thursday, showed the biggest increase in the world, WHO said. There were 26 confirmed cases there a day earlier."

There has been no reason to suggest raising the alert level from phase 5 to 6.

"In addition to Mexico and the United States, WHO has confirmed non-lethal cases in Austria (1), Canada (19), Germany (3), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (3), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8)."

"An additional 230 cases are being investigated in the United Kingdom, and Spain has 84 suspected cases."

In the U.S. New York 50 cases, Texas 26, California 26, South Carolina 10, (no other numbers given)

"The state health departments in Delaware, Colorado, Georgia, Nebraska and Virginia on Thursday said they had confirmed swine flu cases: four in Delaware, one in Georgia and two each in Colorado, Nebraska and Virginia."

The U.S. government has stockpiled 50 million courses of antiviral medication to treat swine flu, Department of Homeland Security Director Janet Napolitano said Thursday. The states have another 23 million and the Department of Defense has millions more, she said.

Napolitano said some of those treatments, along with gloves, masks and other medical equipment, were being shipped to affected states on Thursday.

"More [will] continue to get distributed every day until we're complete," she said.

Nearly 300 U.S. schools with confirmed or possible H1N1 cases were closed Thursday, affecting about 169,000 students, the U.S. Department of Education reported. No colleges or universities were known to be closed, the agency said.

Napolitano said parents of children whose schools closed should keep them at home instead of taking them out in public.

"The entire purpose is to limit exposure," she said. "If a school is closed, the guidance is and the request is to keep your young ones home."

"If you have a fever and flu-like symptoms, you should not be getting on an airplane. That is part of being a responsible part of our community," the CDC's Besser said. "You don't want to put people at risk."