UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Sly's Guide to your Neighbour's Pocket

Sly-demise

Sorceror
Re: Sly's Guide to your Neighbour's Pocket

Maltim;582716 said:
trying out your template right now Sly, it's fun as hell! I never knew spellweaving was this imba

Nice! :D What was your old template though?

Maltim

Wanderer

I'm running three thieves right now...two on OSI. The OSI ones aren't upgraded with ML so nothing too crazy (I just reactivated it for bugtesting etc) 7 year account so it has +20 skillcap

OSI1:
110 fencing (100)
120 stealth (90)
100 hiding
120 stealing (90)
120 ninjitsu (100)
100 snooping (90)
60 necro (45)
60 ss (45)
Rest piled into detect hidden since griefing with it is apparently the new "thing"
In soulstones he has wrestling and tactics, depending on his needs. Shadowstrike is just really flashy and i use him sometimes for RP. Ninjitsu was added recently, he used to use magery and such, because little ninjas weren't released yet when I quit playing.

'
OSI2 is similar to a point...

120 stealth (90)
100 hiding
120 stealing (90)
100 snooping (90)
120 magery (90)
120 necro (90)
120 spirit speak (100)
70 meditation

The lack of EI tends to hurt, but he has a lot of +sd items and regen.

With the casting timers here, neither of these specs are really viable, as they tend to be fairly combative, but have little in the ways of defense. I used to run around on OSI with basically the template you have posted but instead of necro and weaving

Lastly, the other char I play here, basically the same template as yours, but instead of necro and weaving theres wrestling and magery. Its pretty damn fun, but I'm thinking spellweaving beats the pants off magery for any purposes I'd use magery for, except an emergency hide and marking.

Facko

Sorceror

I'm all about the snatch and run myself. If I wanted to fight someone for something I'd show up with a killer. My template was always about being able to live long enough to use a smoke bomb or hide again. More or less a naked charachter (blessed burglar's bandana and a vet robe) but I've done extremely well with her. :)

my template:

chivalry - 50 (sacred journey and small heals)
hiding - 100
ninjitsu - 110
resist spells - 100
snooping - 90 (100)
stealing - 110 (120)
stealth - 60
wrestling - 100

I am aiming at the following:

100 hiding
25 stealth (60 with burglar's, shadow dancer's and oak leaf shroud)
90 snooping (100 with burglar's)
90 stealing (120 with burglar's and shadow dancer's)
100 detect hidden (well, I didn't want to include this but someone might do this to me - I got to defend myself)
120 resisting spells
107.5 ninjitsu (for 100% ostard form)
66 alchemy (70 enhance potion with jewels)
21.5 magery (need 720 skillcap for that; 51.5 with jewels)

Of course this might change a bit in case I find some really good jewels with 2 or more +15 skills on them.

Stats:
125 (for max hp)
50 (some stam won't hurt)
50 (decent mana pool for few shadowjumps)

Not sure what I'll do with +25 statscroll though when\if I get it.

Hey, I can't believe this wonderful thread is sinking down so fast. Surely people have more to add. Come on guys and gals.

Another good addiction to the equipment section IMO - gloves of the pugilist. Although they are not directly related to the trade they have +10.0 wrestling on them, which could be good for those thieves having wrestling in their templates for defensive purposes.

http://www.uoguide.com/Gloves_of_the_Pugilist

Facko, IMO chiv in a thief's template is not a good idea. 1st u cant recall in t2a, so u might as well run to the closest moongate once you exit the region, it takes couple of minutes or so. But more importantly chiv's effectiveness depends on karma, so 'small heals' really are pretty much all you can hope for. :) I really appreciate Sly's idea to include alchemy in a thief template for that enhance potions boost. With gm alchemy and +50 enhance potions you heal 30-37 hitpoints with greater heal pots, which is close to what paladins with +15k karma heal (39 max). Moreover, you can't heal strong poisons with just 50 chiv, so your only chance to cure those is greater cure pots anyway. Also you don't need fc and fcr jewels for alchemy. So I think investing 50.0 skillpoint in chiv is a waste in our position.

Sly-demise

Sorceror

I completely agree with you when it comes to the Chivalry part. And for those who take it for the Sacred Journey spell, using a charged runebook works just as well, is very cheap and will save you a lot of skill points.

I'm considering adding a simple training guide for all the skills included in the guide. Would there be an interest for this?

Maltim

Wanderer

I was just told in game that "I don't like pvp because I play a stealth thief" and that anyone who plays a thief is a "failure"

Coincidence that this person belonged to the same guild from which I've stolen my 120 stealing, 120 stealth and 115 ninjitsu?

I'm not saying this to brag or talk smack, I'm saying this because I'd like to point out PVP thief and PVP mage/necro/whatever are entirely different skillsets, requiring entirely different playstyles and entirely different mindsets.

I play my thief because I want to out maneuver, out run, and escape with loot that doesn't belong to me. I like waiting around for the opportune moment and capitalizing on even the most remote weakness or unpreparedness of the opposition. If this doesn't require skill, I invite everyone to roll one up and reap the rewards.

I'll loot your grey body =D

OH YES SIR! Please do. I'm currently training Ninjitsu (at 89.7 atm) and it is am amazing pain it the arse - skill gains are slower than for blacksmuthy over 100 already, so I'll appreciate any advice on how to speed it up. I'm deathstriking my other char now with some mana regen gear on and I'm at 700 skillcap (if only I knew...).

Maltim: it's just people getting pissed because they failed to defend themselves from something they did not expect. Just ignore them I suppose.

I am against that one, yes, so not an option. I don't mind satyr trick however but unfortunately we don't have that feature implemented yet. =/

Facko

Sorceror

chivalry works for me because i'm lazy when it comes to my runebooks. and it doesnt require me to hold anything i can lose. i honestly only use sacred journey because i rarely need to heal/cure and restockign constantly was a pain. sometimes getting back into the action (or confusion) fast is important in scoring seconds/thirds. for me its all about running the cheapest theif possible. losing anything beyond what i've stolen is unacceptable in my sight. and my template had the extra room because it wasnt suffering before.

it really is as simple as snatch, run, break los or use a smoke bomb, laugh. at least to me and the partner i used to run with sometimes. :)

edit - curing while stealthed is as simple as turning into a unicorn.

It's the same for me, snatch and run. I just want to make sure that I have the highest chance or running away alive successfully, although, yeah, it friggin expensive to start a thief with a good to perfect suit and then always have enough insurance, but then with a bit of luck and a lot of skill you will start getting those amazing PS' and arties, which are going to cover all your costs in the long run.

BTW, do invisibility potions have a skill timer (I know we dont have them yet)? Asking cause if they don't (like invis spell) I might drop some hiding when we get them. I'm saying some not all because you do need to remain hidden for long periods of time sometimes, but at those times having 75-50 chance to hide seems ok to me, as I don't mind spending 30 seconds when noone's around anyway, buying some more resisting spells and wrestling with it. (=

Riobe

Wanderer

I'm a new player to the shard. I wanted to thank you for this guide enough that I made a forum account. ^^ So many different types of characters to play and so much to know! @.@

I'll be going with a mostly gear-less thief at least initially...no access to goodies yet!

Sly-demise

Sorceror

Riobe;591425 said:
I'm a new player to the shard. I wanted to thank you for this guide enough that I made a forum account. ^^ So many different types of characters to play and so much to know! @.@

I'll be going with a mostly gear-less thief at least initially...no access to goodies yet!

I'm flattered, my friend. Welcome to Demise! D'you need anything to get you started? Maybe a blessed Burglar's Bandana? ;)

Riobe

Wanderer

Well I don't think I could say no to that! :p

Just made my thief character today and he's macroing snoop/hiding/stealing/ninjitsu at the moment. I've never actually used Ninjitsu so that'll be interesting. I played UO the most during the T2A era just after Tram, but before Pally and Necro and gear stats, so I've been learning quite a bit!

That, and are there any thieves guilds on Demise? I remember some shards would have a theives guild and, though no one would show their title, I guess they had "honor amongst thieves". EDIT: Forgot to add emphasis point that this would be awesome. ^^

This is what I'm currently looking at for my template:
Hiding 100
Stealth 60
Snooping 100
Stealing 110
Ninjitsu 107.5
Weaving 50
Resist 120

That actually leaves me with a few points to spare, but I'm not sure where to put 'em. Probably in Ninjitsu. I can just keep a charged rune book for escapes.

Stats I'm guessing will go:
STR 125
DEX 25
INT 75

Any opinions would be very appreciated!

Sly-demise

Sorceror

Riobe;591439 said:
Well I don't think I could say no to that! :p

Just made my thief character today and he's macroing snoop/hiding/stealing/ninjitsu at the moment. I've never actually used Ninjitsu so that'll be interesting. I played UO the most during the T2A era just after Tram, but before Pally and Necro and gear stats, so I've been learning quite a bit!

Ninjitsu is really really easy, so you shouldn't have any problems with that at all. Are you training all those skills at the same time though? If you do, I'd love to see that macro.

Riobe;591439 said:
That, and are there any thieves guilds on Demise? I remember some shards would have a theives guild and, though no one would show their title, I guess they had "honor amongst thieves". EDIT: Forgot to add emphasis point that this would be awesome. ^^

Ask me again in a couple of weeks. ;)

Riobe;591439 said:
This is what I'm currently looking at for my template:
Hiding 100
Stealth 60
Snooping 100
Stealing 110
Ninjitsu 107.5
Weaving 50
Resist 120

That actually leaves me with a few points to spare, but I'm not sure where to put 'em. Probably in Ninjitsu. I can just keep a charged rune book for escapes.

Stats I'm guessing will go:
STR 125
DEX 25
INT 75

Any opinions would be very appreciated!

Your build looks excellent though if you use Shadow Dancers and the Burglar's, you'll actually be able to add another GM skill to that list. Want to meet ingame for that Burglar's? Look for a llama at Luna Bank.

Riobe

Wanderer

I'm there. Character name: Platon (named after Moonglow barkeeper).

I don't like my thief character to have a memorable name. ^^

Catnip

Sorceror

I sent a private message to Sly. Is there a thief guild? It would make communication between thieves easier.