UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Possible solution to the new player retention problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devine

Page
Re: Possible solution to the new player retention problem...

Won't this just be exploited by the same people who sit in duel zones wearing their 5mil outfits, because they don't want to have any interaction with the population other than "WOW YOUR SUIT IS SO COOL." Maybe if you're a vet and you idle there for more than 5 minutes, it kicks you out to Bucs Den bank? :)

Maybe it'll help a couple newbies in the short term, but then when they leave Haven they will have no idea how to defend themselves against the pks.

I'm against duel zones and things like this, if you're going to have a Fel shard, have a fel shard. Don't make parts of the game where not everything(stealing, pking, etc etc) is viable, that's what ruined EA shards for most of us.

I totaly understand your stance Devine but you also have to look at the current state of the game.

I just started yesterday, came here knowing nobody, (i run my own shard for myself and a buddy or 4 to goof around on) played production shards since release. so im not to much of a noob on the ways of the game and i have a high tolerance for PK's ect ect,

But. what about the guy who has no clue at all or minimal. if his first day spent playing the game is getting killed over and over, Somtimes by the same person and running around trying to get some bandaids so he can go back out to get some skill, (only to get whacked and set back at aquare one again) What fun is it for him? in no way will that breed a playerbase.

Also im all for keeping fellucia trammy ruleset free, but IMO and i know ill catch flames for this lol,

There has to be a drawback to just killing noobs all day fer fun. yeah statloss is kinda lame (not that it matters here with the skillgain insainly fast as it is anyhow)
but if a poor kid cant get a leg up theres a slim chance that they will stay.

Again thats just my opinion and iv only played here for 2 days so take it for what ya think its worth.

a squirrel

.Y.

Wanderer

yea it seems like a really nice idea, I wouldn't mind going there to help ppl, I've been rly bored lately, and been helping anybody who happens to walk by my house :p

edit: oh and I dont know if this has ever been discussed or thought of, but from what I've read, ppl always try to figure out ways to punish continuous evil actions.. why not find a way to reward players for their good deeds or lack of evil deeds for that matter, instead?

Ahhh way to think :) (never thought of that.)

Be hard to implement such a thing though.

Devine

Page

SquirrelMaster said:
The reason most of us left OSI was because they kept fucking up the game every other week, making playstyles overpowered(tamers), then underpowered(tamers), which forced us to juggle templates all the time.

I don't mind if Haven gets put in, as long as no vets can go there(realistically, how many people at wbb do you think will help a newbie), and the account has to be under 7 days old, not the character.

As for the guy who said who cares, nobody's forcing you to go to Haven: People said that about Trammel too, and it killed Fel.

Crynth

Sorceror

I dont understand the whole Haven thing, why would you create a land that is nothing like the rest of the server for people to get a false sense of the what the server is about, then start everyone in it?

What would be wrong with the old 7 day [Young] player status, in wich you can not have negative actions perfomed on you unless you preform them first, so people can decide whether they want to play on Hybrid? Why make them decide on the Haven portion of Hybrid, a place that after 7 days they will never see again?

jerger

Wanderer

1. have items, armor ect listed on the website. everyone says go to "uo.stratics.com", which really would help if it wasn't a pre-aos server lol. uo.stratics.com is great for checking the stats on my new fire proof armor, but not for uo gamers!!!!

where are the newbs to go for general questions? the forums? hah! if they want to be called a gaywad l33t trammel newb!#%? lame.

2. offer rewards for helping new players. it would have to be an error-proof program, but maybe a gm could be called... then the account flagged as a newb helper. the ips could not match ect... then the helper could be rewarded (meh whole new system)

3. offer a guild ally system so we can team up against the evil reds that so many complaina bout. why not let us be able to make our own alliances or wars? how CAN THERE BE A WAR SYSTEM WITH NO ALLIANCES!#?%!?#%?#!%?

.Y.

Wanderer

jerger said:
1. have items, armor ect listed on the website. everyone says go to "uo.stratics.com", which really would help if it wasn't a pre-aos server lol. uo.stratics.com is great for checking the stats on my new fire proof armor, but not for uo gamers!!!!

where are the newbs to go for general questions? the forums? hah! if they want to be called a gaywad l33t trammel newb!#%? lame.

2. offer rewards for helping new players. it would have to be an error-proof program, but maybe a gm could be called... then the account flagged as a newb helper. the ips could not match ect... then the helper could be rewarded (meh whole new system)

3. offer a guild ally system so we can team up against the evil reds that so many complaina bout. why not let us be able to make our own alliances or wars? how CAN THERE BE A WAR SYSTEM WITH NO ALLIANCES!#?%!?#%?#!%?

Yea they had that system back in 99 or something on osi where you could sign up to help new players, I'm not sure what it was called anymore though...
(edit: my point was, it's a good idea :p)

Also a guild ally system would be awesome, none of those other new guild features(although those are pretty cool too) but a way to form an alliance would be very fun!

jerger

Wanderer

I remeber the system. I just think with the unlimited accounts, we could easily create our own newbs to help. Instead, we should have some form of verification system.

Or if it is a social issue, maybe encourage blues to help others by allowing alliances, that would help them be a stronger arm against the ones they fear:)

on chessapeake we were one of the largest blue guilds pre-uor (ATD, FDD?/fda and some others)... we had an alliance of sub-guilds that probably totalled 300-500 if you combined all the guilds. However, once uor came out and trammel came... we lost most of our blues because we no longer could war our own guilds for an alliance, nor were enough new players for felucia.

however, if blues could have an alliance network, maybe they could work better amonst themselves, allocating more time to helping new players:)

why dont you make one city & a handfull of the more noobish places non-pvp areas. places like covetus & the ant hole where i see a lot of new players hunt.

cat_cracker

Wanderer

A couple of thoughts:

(history: 1month on hybrid, previosly 3months in OSI trammel about 1.5 years ago)
Im almost about to quit this shard because of the pks. I was a trammie (yeah I know, "fuxxors me, dumb noob !!!111").

I like the excitement of the potential of being pkd but this is ridiculous. As a newb I dont know how to make a good template and havent realised the donation stuff (besides I´m not going to give money to something I feel like quitting am I??).

I would send my characters to felucca when they had the skills to stand a chance... becuase how many of the reds have less than a 7xGM? But how am I supposed to get those skills when every spawn of newb level monsters is camped by whoreds of reds?
How am I supposed to get the 10K or so you need to 7xGM a char when each bloody mongbat drops 15gp and u get ganked 3 times to and from it?

But i digress.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*How about trammel existing but with no champ spawns (ie immpliment them elsewhere), no housing (?), no transfers of objects or gold out of trammel, no events, no vet rewards, no limits on remaining there BUT once you leave to go to Fel or T2A you can never return.

*How about giving rewards for killing reds? Like 1000gp spawns in you bankbox for every murder count the red you just had. Then Zero the murder counts when a red dies.

I like the Trammie status idea.

But as it is atm why even bother having monsters spawn? PvM is nonexistant here.

Devine

Page

Terron said:
Fuck you Ackbar
cat_cracker said:
How am I supposed to get the 10K or so you need to 7xGM a char when each bloody mongbat drops 15gp and u get ganked 3 times to and from it?
There are plenty of places reds don't go, and places in guard zones to hunt. Once you get magery up, all you need to do is recall out once one comes in.
*How about trammel existing but with no champ spawns (ie immpliment them elsewhere), no housing (?), no transfers of objects or gold out of trammel, no events, no vet rewards, no limits on remaining there BUT once you leave to go to Fel or T2A you can never return.
No.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

No.

*How about giving rewards for killing reds? Like 1000gp spawns in you bankbox for every murder count the red you just had. Then Zero the murder counts when a red dies.

And then you have people who already macro murder counts(half the top 50), macroing even more, and then killing themselves to get 20mil a day
But as it is atm why even bother having monsters spawn? PvM is nonexistant here.
Where do you think the gold on this shard comes from?

cat_cracker

Wanderer

No.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

No.

Would it help if it were called something other than trammel? jk.
No. Seriously who the hell would remain in such a place for other than leveling a char to go to the real UO? I mean the whole point of such a place would be that there would be no point in remaining there.

And then you have people who already macro murder counts(half the top 50), macroing even more, and then killing themselves to get 20mil a day

True. My bad. Not well thought trough. The "Trammie" status idea still appeals to me though.

Where do you think the gold on this shard comes from?

Newbs to stupid to realise that theres no point in PVMing? The rest I guess is just the same old crap being "handed" back and forth between players.

lil boy

Wanderer

ryan this just a ? if u implament haven wouldnt that mean trammel to? but it sounds good for new players

jerger

Wanderer

EA sucks. why? because they wanted to take the rpg out of a mmorpg. what i mean is, after ea took over control of the company, it shifted to a non-logical non-rpg. how could a world exhist where you couldnt' fight, then you could teleport to the same world where you could? uhh... lol

THEY NEED TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. why did so many quit and get bored of uo ? alot of it was due to the half-arsed new expansions or poorly tested but IMPLEMENTED systems.

we need to not recreate a mess, such as trammel or something fake such as god-newb mode. this isn't doom1, so you can't type idqfa

instead, they need a better solution, they need better social structures.
1.HOW CAN YOU HAVE A WAR WITH NO ALLIES?
2. how are you sappose to work with other chars, when your guilds have to communicate alliances outside of uo (via webpages or waisted time)

instead, they need a system so people can unite better and work together more. if more blues saw that if they stuck together and worked together, then maybe they wouldn't have the recall when they see red problem or have to bitch about not being able to go hunt because they cant solo 5 pks and 2 white wyrms.

however, since an alliance system does not exhist (other then factions maybe), this is unable to occur.

we have features on this server that defy logic (such as being able to go red if your blue pet is killed by a blue whom waited to flag blue to die!). however, having a system where you could work together such as an alliance system, is out of the question lol.

i hate seeing new implementations that just help to add ea problems. we need to make stuff better:)

.Y.

Wanderer

cat_cracker said:
I would send my characters to felucca when they had the skills to stand a chance... becuase how many of the reds have less than a 7xGM? But how am I supposed to get those skills when every spawn of newb level monsters is camped by whoreds of reds?

But i digress.

I like the Trammie status idea.

What are you talking about... I farm gold almost every day... the only trick is to have magicreflection up and cast recall when you see a red name appear, you'll be gone before they even target you, and if they do, you'll reflect the spell, giving you a chance to escape.

And if you cant handle properly using a recall hotkey, I'd suggest you'd go hunt with some friends instead of by yourself...

jerger

Wanderer

i'm just saying... instead of implementing new non-rpg features or new features that defy logic and rules... impelment stuff that makes sense and is not as dramatic.

for instance... stat loss.. just because your evil means you loose stats when you die? why not instead... give power to blues through alliances (work together) or offer some other solution that does not defy gravity.

Status
Not open for further replies.