UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Possible solution to the new player retention problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat_cracker

Wanderer
Re: Possible solution to the new player retention problem...

.Y. said:
What are you talking about... I farm gold almost every day... the only trick is to have magicreflection up and cast recall when you see a red name appear, you'll be gone before they even target you, and if they do, you'll reflect the spell, giving you a chance to escape.

And if you cant handle properly using a recall hotkey, I'd suggest you'd go hunt with some friends instead of by yourself...

I know the magic reflect and recall trick now... but wasnt the whole point of this to give suggestions on how to make starting up easier for newbs?

i.e. Assume no prior knowledge of the tricks to avoid reds and not having an established network of friends to hunt with...

remember that the most common response to a newb question is "F*CK Y** NEWB!!"

Of course veterans who start new characters can work around the reds but thats not the issue is it?

jerger

Wanderer

i have had a stressful time on uog helping newbs. it seems my entire guild has consisted of 85% newbery. it is fun though, because newbs have the virgin experience of exploring.

however, it would be nice if there was greater rewards for risks at a middle or lower level. what i mean is... the high risk, high reward spots are often over crowded or at least watched by pks highly.

mabye lesser monsters should have greater rewards. an idea would be to have the monsters drop unique stackables such as heads or something for identification. these items could then be collected (stackable, lets say 500 tokens to reduce lag)... and turned in for some newb rewards such as crappy armor, reagents or even something better!

the point is.. something needs to be done to encourage new players to stay. the solutions are often radical. why not add something that makes the game fun?

BuccBob

Sorceror

sounds good to me. cept i agree with the other thief... as long as it doesnt cut down on my marks YAY!!!
btw my favorite letter is... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Perhaps we could even impiment those.... ok i forget their names, but they were volunteer players that could teleport to a help request on Haven to help those new to the game and "show them the ropes" so to speak

obviously they will only be able to respond to a request when not in combat, but I felt it was a good way to get new players started and introduce them to the friendly side of our player base

.Y.

Wanderer

Ankoku15 said:
Perhaps we could even impiment those.... ok i forget their names, but they were volunteer players that could teleport to a help request on Haven to help those new to the game and "show them the ropes" so to speak

that's what I ment >_>

Haven is ok.

A lot of other severs deal with the same problem the same way, a newbie dungeon. If you skills get above yad yada you may not enter.

Great idea.

S t a t i C

Wanderer

Ryan said:
Thank you ALL for the way you are handling this.

Apparently he forgot the part where he deleted mine/all the threads that DIDNT support this idea. If you don't support what UOGamers wants to do you have no say in it, so don't bother trying.

EDIT: If you are looking for a way to make the server easier for noobs, just go straight to adding trammel. Don't beat around the bush anymore.

ya i just came back to uo last night and already have foundmyself (on a red even) helping out some complete newbs to UO in Del. so putting them in haven would be a great idea. i think that the totally new to uo people are few and far between tho, its mostly people that quit OSI long ago just findin out about us. i started a thread tonight on my idead on player retention FOUND HERE switch it up a little ya know. and i LOVE the volunteer player idea for helpin out. maybe some sorta pixel crack could encourage others to do so. not that im fishing for items but i know how the pixel crack makes ya do things......

just realized after server wars....if we introduced elves, even witout all their special shit they got as abilities on OSI ppl would be remakin alotta characters, thus the working up a bit slower deal and alotta economy would come back. imho

Haven is good, this sever see's a lot of brand new players. That have no idea how to play yet, send em' to Haven.

jerger

Wanderer

if anything, it should either be...

A. easy to get off island of some sort (that way advance players are not stuck there for days)

or

B. optional newb starting area

I don't see how some of the ignorant posters see this as being a trammel issue. There is an extreme poll of players on servers these days since either people are advance and experienced players, or completely lost (this game is much more complex then the original release with all the systems).

I've had about 20 unique individuals in my guild. I would say at least 8 of them have quit because they had no clue how to play the game, much less pvp, train skills or have fucko clues on what to do.

Now, putting rascists aside... alot of our new players from non-english speaking countries. I imagine these difficulties become 10 fold when nobody understands them or just gives them inbreded ignorance.

in the end... its really not my problem. i'm not the one hosting the server, if they really wanted to see their server survive without loosing new players or people from boredom... then they will make changes they see fit.

trammel, stat loss and anything else that adds non-rpg features to uo, are pretty dramatic and lame features, in which most players would quit or give up on the server. instead, there are many sensible non-EA ideas floating around that could offer up better solutions instead (why not use a test server?). EA, is not the BEST WAY, it is the half-ass way. We are much smarter then their soon-to-be fired employees that create each expansion.

What is better then some of the non-rpg ideas (statloss) or trammel?
Balance issues, better information on the server (such as uo.stratics.com info that is difficult for newbs to sift through), more incentives to do good on the server, a newbie training area or incentive program (help newbs) ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.