UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Newsweek poll: Americans believe in God, reject evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipper

Knight
Re: Newsweek poll: Americans believe in God, reject evolution

None of my friends are christians.

Does that make us devil people?

Flipper

Knight

NASTY_DEVILx-hybrid;1315525 said:
i just cant believe that there is nothing after our life... because its simply weird to know that we live for absolutely no reason. why would we live if there is nothing after? How do we live? We cant be simply meat and bones... we got a soul since people that die are still the same but their soul leaves, therefore there just must be something after what we live now...

There is no such thing as a soul.

"You" are "you" because your brain tells "you" that. You're just your brain signals and when they die, so do you.

I'm gonna pull a Nietzsche on your asses and say that if you disagree with me you're simply too afraid to accept the truth!

Those numbers seem pretty high. The numbers don't agree with a large # of people I know, so I wonder who they polled to get the info.

Vigesimation

Wanderer

djstepanek;1315546 said:
Those numbers seem pretty high. The numbers don't agree with a large # of people I know, so I wonder who they polled to get the info.

yea i was thinking the same thing... 9 times out of 10 they poll like 5k or less people and say theres somehow a 1.5% possible variation in the poll results... I've never been part of a poll other than the Canadian Census, and they don't ussually asks questions like this...

Vigesimation

Wanderer

hugh jass;1315585 said:
is doggystyle a christian position?

doggystle is the style of devil worshipers, you should know that christians believe only in the missionary position!

Edit: Oh and BTW, please stfu.. and stop posting that useless shit... especially in a somewhat intelligent thread.

Flipper;1315544 said:
There is no such thing as a soul.

"You" are "you" because your brain tells "you" that. You're just your brain signals and when they die, so do you.

I'm gonna pull a Nietzsche on your asses and say that if you disagree with me you're simply too afraid to accept the truth!

so how do they appear in the first place? your brain grows but the signals cant jsut appear randomly like that? can you sientifically explain that?

D

Darkness

Flipper;1315541 said:
None of my friends are christians.

Does that make us devil people?
Without Satan, Christians would have no "enemy" to distinguish themselves from.

hugh jass

Wanderer

Vigesimation;1315591 said:
doggystle is the style of devil worshipers, you should know that christians believe only in the missionary position!

Edit: Oh and BTW, please stfu.. and stop posting that useless shit... especially in a somewhat intelligent thread.
and your reply added to the discussion how???....

D

Darkness

NASTY_DEVILx-hybrid;1315597 said:
so how do they appear in the first place? your brain grows but the signals cant jsut appear randomly like that? can you sientifically explain that?
There's probably an explanation for that. I.e. once a brain of an unborn child has developed enough and made neural connections, it starts sending out electricity, because that's what brain cells are specialized to do. It took evolution long enough to come up with this idea of how a complex brain for a complex organism has to work. However, I am no expert in that area :p

zlatan fulgere

Sorceror

Take a look at religion's role throughout history. I'm no history major but it seems like a way to explain what science has not yet explained. Has it also not been used by those in power to control those not in power?

Consider this also. If I believe in a god, does my life not change? Do I not live differently, feel better, gain a new purpose in life and become more open to evidence of god's existence? Would those effects of faith happen regardless of the actual existence of a higher power?

I really wish I could believe in a god. Beyond all the arguments over evidence, there's one question I have, "Why"? In the case of christianity, why would god care to bother making this world and the universe in the first place? Why would he create it with a built-in downfall for mankind that would absolutely be triggered by time and probability. Why would he bother sacrificing for us to give us a shot at overcoming that downfall? If he is all powerful, evil is his enemy and he wants us in heaven with him, why bother with this whole circus to end up with only marginal results?

As for that statistic, some religious folks will tell you that a large portion of those claiming a belief in god do not have a technically correct saving faith. There is also the statistic of how many young people are bound to stick with the faith of their parents (I don't recall the exact number though). My point with that is even if god did exist, what does someone's claim that they believe in god really mean to themselves, god and others.

Vastar;1316193 said:
Preaching..

Oldest forum of control, evar, besides fear. Oh wait, various religions use fear to control the sheep.

Meh :tup:

Veritas WKD

Sorceror

Punkers Slave;1316199 said:
Oldest forum of control, evar, besides fear. Oh wait, various religions use fear to control the sheep.

Meh :tup:

But why should religion use fear? The Bible states clearly that we were put here on earth to form a loving relationship with God. We were given the ability to sin. In John 3:16-17:
"16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Does that not seem like something a loving God would do? A few years back I used to look down on people with religion. I saw it as a crutch for the weak to lean on when times got tough. I have since then become a Christian and find myself walking a harder path than I ever did before. I deal with stuggle far more often. The life of a Christian is a life of mockery and persecution even today.

To everyone who does not believe in god: I will keep you in my prayers wether you like it or not. If you are looking for things to read or study about the life and or beliefes of Christians feel free to send me messages and whatnot. I am always more than happy discuss with anyone (in a civilized manner) topics of my own faith and the teachings of the church I attend.

For those of you with a bible here are a few of my favorite verses.
Matthew 5:13-16
Psalms 7:10
Philippians 4:13

r33n;1314651 said:
Believe in whatever you want to believe in.

You are your own person, don't believe in something because people tell you that you should. Be a human. Research and adapt to new stimuli that you encounter.
There are answers out there for anyone that wants to find them. I am not religious at all, and I don't feel the need to believe something because a majority do. My ethics / morals are pretty damn solid and I didn't need to read an ancient piece of literature to get them.

I am drunk. Holler.
:tup: I agree with your drunken words though they smell like alcohol. ;<

A big part of religion is fear.

If you don't honor the god or gods you go to hell, you will bring plagues, etc...

I don't disagree with the core messages of religions which is generally loving, respecting, and being helpful to our fellow man. To have a family that believes in a religion and supports these ideas is a wonderful thing, children are more likely to follow the ideas later in life which is superb. But you don't have to be religious to be a kind person. Raised with atheists can lead to a "good" person as well with the same morals in life.

My main gripes with religion are #1 how people exploit it to start shit, #2 take the messages way to literally(if you still believe that Adam and Eve just popped out of the ground, well...), #3 the fear that is created to embed the ideals, and #4 I don't like the church (religion is fine, the church is bad).

Veritas WKD

Sorceror

djstepanek;1316244 said:
A big part of religion is fear.

If you don't honor the god or gods you go to hell, you will bring plagues, etc...

I don't disagree with the core messages of religions which is generally loving, respecting, and being helpful to our fellow man. To have a family that believes in a religion and supports these ideas is a wonderful thing, children are more likely to follow the ideas later in life which is superb. But you don't have to be religious to be a kind person. Raised with atheists can lead to a "good" person as well with the same morals in life.

My main gripes with religion are #1 how people exploit it to start shit, #2 take the messages way to literally(if you still believe that Adam and Eve just popped out of the ground, well...), #3 the fear that is created to embed the ideals, and #4 I don't like the church (religion is fine, the church is bad).

In Genesis it clearly states that Adam was greated first and after a while God decided to make him company. When Adam was asleep God took one of his ribs and created Eve from that.

Veritas WKD;1316246 said:
In Genesis it clearly states that Adam was created first and after a while God decided to make him company. When Adam was asleep God took one of his ribs and created Eve from that.

And if you still believe that, you are taking the Bible way to literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.