UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Newsweek poll: Americans believe in God, reject evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Zoidberg

Wanderer
Re: Newsweek poll: Americans believe in God, reject evolution

Vastar;1422140 said:
Yes. I had made the assumption that you had read some of the rest of this thread. Many of the points he's made to me over the last 20 pages would apply here for you. It's odd for me to be posting them instead of him considering my position. That's all.

Its an old discussion and it was quite obvious that some people had grossly erroneous thoughts. Based on the few pages i did read, i didnt feel like going through 15 more pages based on bullshit i have already heard but presented by the mind of a kindergartener. (i dont mean you, i mean the general person that tries to argue religion with logics, theres a lot of those yknow).

I just find it so incredibly ignorant. Its kinda like trying to discuss 20 century history whilst having no idea what Germany is.

Vastar;1422140 said:
That really depends upon how you value the consideration itself.

Defenitly, it just so happens that the sort of consideration you are suggesting is ludacris since we have so many better things to consider. Everything is relative and one thing is more preferable than the other.

Vastar;1422140 said:
Could you expand on what you mean by "acceptable explanation"?

An explanation we can fully account for with 100% replicateable results. Dont try to apply it to anything religious. Just dont. Because in every religion theres someone that has seen something, which merited the religion, and it cannot be replicated today. Im trying to save you time here.

I mean "acceptable explanation" as the scientific term. Its not a new term.

Vastar;1422140 said:
I'm saying that if god existed, the laws governing our environment would be overseen by him. The things we test to be true consistently would have yielded those consistent results because our higher power willed them to. In that situation, the scientific fact would represent properties of our environment that god has bothered to keep reliable so far. If god wishes to use any mixture of creation followed by evolution, it would be reasonable that he could.

If you want to claim that "god is reality period" then thats a definition made by you. You are trying to discuss, based on "logics", a manmade selfcontradictory concept. Its kinda like trying to unscrew a non-star screw with a star screwdriver.

You need to back up a few steps and instead of assuming that god exists, try to assume he dont. You will find valid explanations for virtually everything provided by the history of science. Why do you conciously throw away the facts we base our actual existence on? Its everywhere, its in your computer. Its man made miracles and you experience thousands of them every day. Youre just used to it that youre not impressed anymore. And then, since its not every day you hear of a white man with a long beard in the sky wanting you to do random shit, suddendly it catches everyones attention.

Its pathetic and its an abomination to man. People that reject science on such an ignorant level do not deserve to reap the benefits.

Now im not going to tell you that youre un-educated or anything, but if you went and read just the wikipedia article on Descartes Discource on The Method, you will see why the train of thought you are presenting is.. Well, just go read it, i dont want to influence your opinion about it, that wouldnt be fair.

Lets just say that Descartes is the father of modern philosophy (what we are attempting to discuss here) and he needs to give you a spanking.

Vastar;1422140 said:
Well, I do certainly agree that the improbable would generally be an inefficient starting point.

Then whats the problem? We have so much we actually know, its incredible counterproductive that the entire world spends so many ressources on what we just agreed was an "ineffecient starting point".

Vastar;1422140 said:
Again, if a higher power is in control of reality, why would it be out of the question for that higher power to decide not to reveal himself through a lack of consistency? Additionally, why would our previous test results prevent that higher power from changing in the future?

Yes, i know. God works in mysterious ways. Btw, so do I and its actually me changing shit. If you have a good mind, put it to better use than the juvenile "what if a billion gods existed but we never met any!" crap and start pondering about what you DO know, but dont fully understand yet. Thats how soceity evolves and mankind became what it is today.

Dr Zoidberg

Wanderer

Vastar;1422151 said:
It would probably be dangerous.

Im glad that youre at least on the path of the point I was making, thats half the battle. "Dangerous" is a gross understatement though.

I was looking for something along the lines of "thats outrageous, the human species wouldnt last a single generation".

Im just trying to get across that we exist upon empirical evidence and we always have.

Ignoring this (like religion does) is equivalent to ignoring everything your five senses take in every moment of your existence. And i find it ignorant. ON PURPOSE. Which is the worst kinda ignorance.

Vastar;1422151 said:
Sure, give me a link. (=

Discourse on the Method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VERY short, but i guess it sorta gets the point across. At least it partially gets The Four Precepts from The Method of Science across. I dont know of links where you can read more detailed about it, but try googling or going to the library.

Meditations on First Philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A longer read, this is the book descartes wrote after he wrote Discource on The Method (if we dont count his mathematical work) and the wikipedia article is more substantial. Not really as good as just reading the damn thing itself, or at least a proper secondary work on it, but i guess its what i got to give.

I severely reccomend that if you dont read anything else, read the entire wikipedia article about Meditations on First.

Vastar;1422151 said:
I am about your age.

I really meant a number, but if you consider it a big deal then its okay. Im 23, from Denmark and i used to study nanotechnology. My name is Narfle. Thats me.

Valentino;1422150 said:
we exist for nothing. stop being a 3 year old. there is no heaven where everything will be okay. accept it for what it is and live your life knowing this is all you get, and you are obnoxiously lucky to be alive in the first place.

you haven't dug deep enough. or you've bought into the bullshit of what others have told you. if you truly want to KNOW there is something beyond this life, you can find the tools and prove it to yourself. but once you know, you can't turn off that switch.

there is great comfort in thinking life is as simple as living and dying. perception, awareness, the ego. it is so much more. billions of years of evolution. suffering and beyond imagination. trillions of cells and organisms working for YOU. and you want to sell yourself short now? everything before you had a purpose. so do you. what's your reasoning?

zlatan fulgere

Sorceror

Dr Zoidberg;1422434 said:
Defenitly, it just so happens that the sort of consideration you are suggesting is ludacris since we have so many better things to consider. Everything is relative and one thing is more preferable than the other.

I don't see how you could view that statement as anything other than pure opinion. You can say "better" for a particular purpose. Nothing is just arbitrarily preferable.

An explanation we can fully account for with 100% replicateable results. Dont try to apply it to anything religious. Just dont. Because in every religion theres someone that has seen something, which merited the religion, and it cannot be replicated today. Im trying to save you time here.

I mean "acceptable explanation" as the scientific term. Its not a new term.

In what we are talking about, the source of the results required for the acceptable explanation is my point.

If you want to claim that "god is reality period" then thats a definition made by you. You are trying to discuss, based on "logics", a manmade selfcontradictory concept. Its kinda like trying to unscrew a non-star screw with a star screwdriver.

You need to back up a few steps and instead of assuming that god exists, try to assume he dont. You will find valid explanations for virtually everything provided by the history of science. Why do you conciously throw away the facts we base our actual existence on? Its everywhere, its in your computer. Its man made miracles and you experience thousands of them every day. Youre just used to it that youre not impressed anymore. And then, since its not every day you hear of a white man with a long beard in the sky wanting you to do random shit, suddendly it catches everyones attention.

Its pathetic and its an abomination to man. People that reject science on such an ignorant level do not deserve to reap the benefits.

Now im not going to tell you that youre un-educated or anything, but if you went and read just the wikipedia article on Descartes Discource on The Method, you will see why the train of thought you are presenting is.. Well, just go read it, i dont want to influence your opinion about it, that wouldnt be fair.

Lets just say that Descartes is the father of modern philosophy (what we are attempting to discuss here) and he needs to give you a spanking.

I'm not claiming that "god is reality period". I'm not assuming that god exists. I'm merely pointing out what would be the case if god existed. If god exists, the facts we've collected throughout history would be dependent upon god causing them to exist.

I checked out the "Meditations on First Philosophy". It's strange that you brought it up in this particular response. What he suggests is not only every bit of what I'm saying but he even goes a step farther with it.

Then whats the problem? We have so much we actually know, its incredible counterproductive that the entire world spends so many ressources on what we just agreed was an "ineffecient starting point".

I said generally inefficient. The only thing less productive is to overly focus on the probable yet incorrect.

Yes, i know. God works in mysterious ways. Btw, so do I and its actually me changing shit. If you have a good mind, put it to better use than the juvenile "what if a billion gods existed but we never met any!" crap and start pondering about what you DO know, but dont fully understand yet. Thats how soceity evolves and mankind became what it is today.

Well... thanks for the advise I guess. My response addressed your notion that not finding evidence for something essentially untestable was proper criteria for discounting it though.

zlatan fulgere

Sorceror

Dr Zoidberg;1422437 said:
Im glad that youre at least on the path of the point I was making, thats half the battle. "Dangerous" is a gross understatement though.

I was looking for something along the lines of "thats outrageous, the human species wouldnt last a single generation".

Im just trying to get across that we exist upon empirical evidence and we always have.

Ignoring this (like religion does) is equivalent to ignoring everything your five senses take in every moment of your existence. And i find it ignorant. ON PURPOSE. Which is the worst kinda ignorance.

Well believe me, I'm the last person you need to worry about not being concerned with the empiricist's point of view when it comes to the direction of our lives.

Discourse on the Method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VERY short, but i guess it sorta gets the point across. At least it partially gets The Four Precepts from The Method of Science across. I dont know of links where you can read more detailed about it, but try googling or going to the library.

Meditations on First Philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A longer read, this is the book descartes wrote after he wrote Discource on The Method (if we dont count his mathematical work) and the wikipedia article is more substantial. Not really as good as just reading the damn thing itself, or at least a proper secondary work on it, but i guess its what i got to give.

I severely reccomend that if you dont read anything else, read the entire wikipedia article about Meditations on First.

Very interesting, yes. I imagine the additional "Objections and replies" would be equally worthwhile.

I really meant a number, but if you consider it a big deal then its okay. Im 23, from Denmark and i used to study nanotechnology. My name is Narfle. Thats me.

I'm in the US, studying computer programming.

Dr Zoidberg;1421257 said:
With all due respect, you have understood neither concept then.

So you are part of the vast majority.

or maybe the bible was jus made by ancient men that didnt understand anything and made up stories to explain what they could not? Jus like native americans and what not. Its a proven fact creatures evolve so erm yea. Jus cuz I said I believe in a higher power or spiritual realm people might wanna call "god" dosent mean I believe in every aspect and story of the bible. Alot of the bible I think is wrong and much of it was fucked up in translation. In my opinion anyone who bases all of their lifes beliefs on a band of hebrew fishermen is a moron. k thx. Bible is a code to live by though, and I think everyone should try and live by it.

P.S. I think it is you that dont understand. You are talking about creationism not god.

kio123

Knight

Valentino;1422150 said:
we exist for nothing. stop being a 3 year old. there is no heaven where everything will be okay. accept it for what it is and live your life knowing this is all you get, and you are obnoxiously lucky to be alive in the first place.

a blind person can say you had a bad experiance when you were younger

valentino must be a very depressed person. One day i believe religion will be explained by science, if humans last that long. There are alot of things we still dont understand. I heard once before "you look into a space, and you think your seeing all that is there, but your not." Do you really think your human eyes can pick up every spectrum of reality? Energy, vibes, karma, (oxygen lols cant see that either) I believe in them all. I even heard of monks that would like meditate or sum shit and could actually change molicules of water. I think there was a documentry on it or sumthing. Dont know how true that is nor did i see it sumone told me about it tho. In the bible it says when many people pray togeather or hope for the same thing they can move mountians or sumthing like that. So those two things might go hand in hand. Kinda like... telekenesis? I dunno. Im agnostic... but I see no harm in trying to believe that there is a better life than this... cuz imo we are in hell. Even says in the bible, this is the devils domain. SO STOP DEPRESSING ME >:eek:

and why are there two stupid thrds about this neway? I hate religious discussions. They never solve anything. I believe if you look at the history books they only start wars.

Dr Zoidberg

Wanderer

biggie.shorty-;1422607 said:
valentino must be a very depressed person. One day i believe religion will be explained by science, if humans last that long. There are alot of things we still dont understand. I heard once before "you look into a space, and you think your seeing all that is there, but your not." Do you really think your human eyes can pick up every spectrum of reality? Energy, vibes, karma, (oxygen lols cant see that either) I believe in them all. I even heard of monks that would like meditate or sum shit and could actually change molicules of water. I think there was a documentry on it or sumthing. Dont know how true that is nor did i see it sumone told me about it tho. In the bible it says when many people pray togeather or hope for the same thing they can move mountians or sumthing like that. So those two things might go hand in hand. Kinda like... telekenesis? I dunno. Im agnostic... but I see no harm in trying to believe that there is a better life than this... cuz imo we are in hell. Even says in the bible, this is the devils domain. SO STOP DEPRESSING ME >:eek:

and why are there two stupid thrds about this neway? I hate religious discussions. They never solve anything. I believe if you look at the history books they only start wars.

And religious discussions dont start wars, religious people does. If you look at the history books, as you say.

At any rate, this entire post only shows that you dont know enough about both topics to even comment on the smallest of things in the discussion. No, we cant "see" oxygen, but we can verify its existence in other ways. Try to remember how science started at all. One step at a time, with all steps along the way accountable for and replicateable.

Nobody can ever "see" the molecules with the naked eye, the very notion that you havent laughed out loud the second you heard it quite vividly demonstrates what i just said. You have no idea what youre talking about. You have probably heard of a thing called a "microscope". Ask yourself why it was invented and what it has been used for since then. And try to refrain from slapping yourself even though im sure it feels tempting.

"Kinda like... telekenesis? ". Please. Kinda like harry fucking potter and gandalf. But this clearly illustrates the problem of allowing these bullshit theories to exist on such a grand scale after they have been refuted. Some people belive it because they want to. Then they lie about it. And stupid people belive them.

And here we are.

biggie.shorty-;1422607 said:

you can do anything if you believe you can. i am a firm believer in shamanism. i proved to myself anything is possible. anyone can. you just have to step over that notch in your ego that wants to keep you comfortable. the part of your ego that wants to rationalize and explain existance. you've got to be willing to face the unknown and question everything you think you know. no one will find God for you. it's all on you.

Dr Zoidberg;1422682 said:
And religious discussions dont start wars, religious people does. If you look at the history books, as you say.

At any rate, this entire post only shows that you dont know enough about both topics to even comment on the smallest of things in the discussion. No, we cant "see" oxygen, but we can verify its existence in other ways. Try to remember how science started at all. One step at a time, with all steps along the way accountable for and replicateable.

Nobody can ever "see" the molecules with the naked eye, the very notion that you havent laughed out loud the second you heard it quite vividly demonstrates what i just said. You have no idea what youre talking about. You have probably heard of a thing called a "microscope". Ask yourself why it was invented and what it has been used for since then. And try to refrain from slapping yourself even though im sure it feels tempting.

"Kinda like... telekenesis? ". Please. Kinda like harry fucking potter and gandalf. But this clearly illustrates the problem of allowing these bullshit theories to exist on such a grand scale after they have been refuted. Some people belive it because they want to. Then they lie about it. And stupid people belive them.

And here we are.

I refer you back to my earlier post which apparently u did not read.

Dr Zoidberg;1421257 said:
With all due respect, you have understood neither concept then.

So you are part of the vast majority.
biggie.shorty-;1422573 said:
or maybe the bible was jus made by ancient men that didnt understand anything and made up stories to explain what they could not? Jus like native americans and what not. Its a proven fact creatures evolve so erm yea. Jus cuz I said I believe in a higher power or spiritual realm people might wanna call "god" dosent mean I believe in every aspect and story of the bible. Alot of the bible I think is wrong and much of it was fucked up in translation. In my opinion anyone who bases all of their lifes beliefs on a band of hebrew fishermen is a moron. k thx. Bible is a code to live by though, and I think everyone should try and live by it.

P.S. I think it is you that dont understand. You are talking about creationism not god.

I was jus telling you of other theories that are out there with my second post. I believe I even said in it and I quote "I do not know how true this is". Imho you are a moron. :) As is anyone who will not entertain thoughts other than their own.

Underwater Ape;1422696 said:
you can do anything if you believe you can. i am a firm believer in shamanism. i proved to myself anything is possible. anyone can. you just have to step over that notch in your ego that wants to keep you comfortable. the part of your ego that wants to rationalize and explain existance. you've got to be willing to face the unknown and question everything you think you know. no one will find God for you. it's all on you.

^^ wise man

Dr Zoidberg

Wanderer

biggie.shorty-;1422720 said:
I refer you back to my earlier post which apparently u did not read.

I was jus telling you of other theories that are out there with my second post. I believe I even said in it and I quote "I do not know how true this is". Imho you are a moron. :) As is anyone who will not entertain thoughts other than their own.

Yes, naturally. I shall gladly repeat that you have obviously understood neither concept.

I appreciate you dug out the old post though, but it really doesnt do anything other than enforce what I already said (and you apparently read it, you quoted it). Im sorry you cant see that, but I guarantee that once you try to seek education on these matters, I will accept your apology.

I also enjoy how you think that post accounts for you just telling me that there might be monks that can see molecules, an idea just as idiotic as religion.

Im glad you're not religious though, but by saying people should live by the bible at the same time, youre kinda shooting yourself in the foot. Again.

All i can do is repeat that I think that once you seek out education on these matters, you wont feel so threatned by people completely debunking your bullshit when you spew it forth. Greater minds would have said "Thank you", but I guess you value pride higher than intellect. Good for you.

Btw, the main reason you show up as a fool to me is that you dig up a post talking specifically about one religion to answer a post about other supernatural phaenomenon. Which you brought up, might i add.

Let me critisize the post you dug up real fast:

-So you dont belive in religion ("In my opinion anyone who bases all of their lifes beliefs on a band of hebrew fishermen is a moron. k thx."), but you advocate the bible ("Bible is a code to live by though, and I think everyone should try and live by it.").-

And you thought monks might be able to see molecules with the naked eye.

Dr Zoidberg;1422790 said:
And you thought monks might be able to see molecules with the naked eye.

i have. though i completely understand where you're coming from. i just choose to ignore my egos attempts to rationalize and make sense of it. i accept the moment for what it is showing me. i've been to the depths of myself and to the edge of the universe in visionary states. anyone can go there.

I can tell you though. it doesn't matter if Jesus Christ never existed or if he never performed miracles. Faith is more real than this reality. For those that truly believe in Jesus Christ, it is their faith in him that will get them through ego death. He never had to be real. Faith is for you. God is what God is.

Meaning is more primary than anything. Truly believing inside of you that Jesus died for the worlds sins is an extremely powerful belief. If belief in him guides your life, well that is the power of Jesus. That is the power of faith. You make it real to you. The same goes for any religion. I do however have a problem when a persons faith in something hurts other people. But believe it or not most Christians aren't evil stupid people. Sure there are cons. Yes religion has been used to commit horrible things. But thats simply the ego. The desire for power, control, wealth, etc. All bullshit that was developed by the ego of man. Take the positive parts of a religion and use them to understand life and make yourself a better person. Learn from the wrong doings as well.

jus cuz what they do change shit dont mean they see it. im a lil drunk right now so im not going to explain

Underwater Ape;1422915 said:
I can tell you though. it doesn't matter if Jesus Christ never existed or if he never performed miracles. Faith is more real than this reality. For those that truly believe in Jesus Christ, it is their faith in him that will get them through ego death. He never had to be real. Faith is for you. God is what God is.

^^^ once again, wise man

Ego_Lost

Wanderer

You're a pretty confused monkey if you believe in anything. Faith and belief are words used by those with the biggest egos. For some reason you fail to see that when you spout all of those crazy feel good things about the nature of reality/death/life/religion/whatever, you're actually doing one of two things...1. Boosting your ego because you actually do think that you are privledged enough to figure things out or...2. (Which I think is much more common) Boosting your ego by saying things that other people will think are cool so that in turn you will be the cool kid who thought of it. Stop for a second and realize that you are of this physical universe. Without it you are nothing. Religion/faith/belief really wont get you anywhere because when you die in physical reality, you rot. When you rot so do all of the little neurons that you spent all that wasted time linking together to form your beliefs.

Dr Zoidberg

Wanderer

i have. though i completely understand where you're coming from. i just choose to ignore my egos attempts to rationalize and make sense of it. i accept the moment for what it is showing me. i've been to the depths of myself and to the edge of the universe in visionary states. anyone can go there.

Ape, i understand that you are tripping ball and you know me, i truly appreciate it.

But you thinking you saw what you think was molecules does not make it so, i've also seen tons of weird shit when I have been tripping, a two headed unicorn fx.

Faith is more real than this reality? Ape, listen to yourself. I know youre trying to make a point, but I think you should be using other words, because all you did there was argue with man made definitions. Kinda like saying that 2+2 is not 4, even though we defined it as such.

This reality is real. Thats how we defined it. Its the ultimate level of reality. That is the basis of our existence.

Faith is more false than anything else at all, because it requires you to belive without intelligent proof.

Why are everyone so hip on discarding perfectly valid evidence thats all around in your room, take a god damn look. You will see the products of a million man-made miracles if you try to think about it.

And yet, people want to belive in miracles that cant be proven, in prayers that dont get replies and in mythical figures that has been deemed more unlikely than unicorns. Technically, it has been proven grossly wrong and false, but that normally gets people going.

Imo, the only problem in our history is that science has accepted too much bullshit from too many retards.

Meaning is more primary than anything.

You mean intention? If you do, then its kinda funny. Because thats what we get taught in kindergarten in denmark untill we are old enough to move to next step. Then we are explained how we was lied to in order to make us behave more properly.

I really think Christnianity needa do one of them explanations. Its obvious its a huge pile of bullshit that was only designed to maintain control.

Truly believing inside of you that Jesus died for the worlds sins is an extremely powerful belief.

Yes, kinda like truly believing that there will be 72 virgins for you in heaven when you trigger the bomb around your stomach to punish them evil danes for making cartoons of your prophet.

Yes its a powerful belief. In something we have no proof of. Ape, for crying out loud, people that have such "powerful" beliefs without any proof to back them up are in generally locked away and studied. Unless they belong to a major religion, i will give you that. The intellectuel part of mankind tolerate much bullshit.

If belief in him guides your life, well that is the power of Jesus. That is the power of faith. You make it real to you. The same goes for any religion.

So you also belive that the 7 napoleons in the insane asylum are actually all Napoleon? What about the 3 hitlers and the 4 mother teresas? Or do they fall under the same rule as the Buffet-Bible.

Or do you acknowlegde that quite possibly, faith can be misleading and cause a poor soul to base their entire life on CRAP.

Faith is not a good thing, as such. Faith implies belief without proof, which is pure ignorance. Being fanatical about it does not make it better.

Believing in something strongly enough does not make it true. Thats just wrong ape.

I do however have a problem when a persons faith in something hurts other people. But believe it or not most Christians aren't evil stupid people.

Sure there are cons. Yes religion has been used to commit horrible things. But thats simply the ego. The desire for power, control, wealth, etc. All bullshit that was developed by the ego of man. Take the positive parts of a religion and use them to understand life and make yourself a better person. Learn from the wrong doings as well.

Ape, i already explained like three times why Its idiotic on a whole new level to accept parts of "Holy Book" without accepting the rest of it.

Thats one part where your "ego" part enters, when one dick is told to interpret the rest of the bible for everyone else. For example. Or when one dick writes the bible, full of bullshit, and claims its the word of god.

Or when the followers read this word of god, which they belive to be true, and then discard 35% of it and embrace the rest.

Except for in a few years, where they will be discarding 37% and embracing the rest, even though the book has never changed and there has been no official word from god that the 2% thats now also considered bullshit, is bullshit.

I know you want to belive ape, and i know you want to think in alternative strains of thought, but youre on the wrong track.

And see ape, youre actually making a poor person, biggie shorty, belive in what youre saying is true because he doesnt consider to contest it in any way just accepts it because he feels like its close enough to what he might belive in. A true example of the flawed nature of faith.

Ape, you are spreading ignorance :/ Not very philosophical of you.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

Dr Zoidberg said:
Intelligent Responses.
Vastar said:
Good stuff.
Ape said:
Banana Split.
What a pleasent surprise, hehe. Lots of posts, and here I expected one from Vastar and that would be it. Also, I think my friend Doug is "Ego Lost" (seems like a name he would choose) but I'll have to check with him when I get home from work.

My turn, right? I read all the posts so I'm nice and caught up.
Dr Zoidberg;1420807 said:
If people dont mind, i'd like to point out that on a "scientific basis" this entire discussion of Creationism vs Evolution has ended.

LiveScience.com: Chimps Make Spears and Hunt Bushbabies

Evolution is indisputeable fact. It has happened in front of our eyes. (again).

I put "scientific discussion" in quotation marks because arguing facts from nature versus a silly self-contradictory book isnt really scientific.
There is a very distinct difference between adaptation and evolution. We, just like Darwin, can observe traits in animals and find a reason for the animal to have those traits. That doesn't change anything. Darwin came up with a new definition for why animals have the observed traits. The believers of science agree with his theory even though there it's incomplete.

Zoid, riddle me this: if science is based on observations, observations are based on perception, and perception is fallible, how is science reliable? I don't want to respond for Ape, he does well enough on his own, but you and I can get started with that question.

To not take away from anyone well established conversations, I'll respond to this newcomer, hehe:

Ego Lost said:
You're a pretty confused monkey if you believe in anything. Faith and belief are words used by those with the biggest egos. For some reason you fail to see that when you spout all of those crazy feel good things about the nature of reality/death/life/religion/whatever, you're actually doing one of two things...1. Boosting your ego because you actually do think that you are privledged enough to figure things out or...2. (Which I think is much more common) Boosting your ego by saying things that other people will think are cool so that in turn you will be the cool kid who thought of it. Stop for a second and realize that you are of this physical universe. Without it you are nothing. Religion/faith/belief really wont get you anywhere because when you die in physical reality, you rot. When you rot so do all of the little neurons that you spent all that wasted time linking together to form your beliefs.
So you observe your physicality in the universe? If we're going to touch on ego, science is more egotistical than religion as all of your examples can be applied and amplified towards science. You can pretend you're a victim of physical reality, but your perceptions leave only room for doubt, not certainty. To you, I say, stop for a second and realize physical reality is an illusion. Realization in and of itself goes against science - What chemical reaction causes epiphany? Science doesn't account for consciousness, dreaming, will, intent, and many other aspects of reality that we all "observe". Your faith in science is that your priests in white coats will find those answers. You believe in your reality, you believe in the scientists that came before you, you believe in the methods they used to define reality, and most importantly of all, you believe their definitions.

You post once and now you'll be sucked in like the rest of us, muahaha. Internet conversations are much slower than real life ones, eh?

I look forward to your response, Believer.

Dr Zoidberg;1423388 said:
Ape, i understand that you are tripping ball and you know me, i truly appreciate it.

But you thinking you saw what you think was molecules does not make it so, i've also seen tons of weird shit when I have been tripping, a two headed unicorn fx.

Faith is more real than this reality? Ape, listen to yourself. I know youre trying to make a point, but I think you should be using other words, because all you did there was argue with man made definitions. Kinda like saying that 2+2 is not 4, even though we defined it as such.

This reality is real. Thats how we defined it. Its the ultimate level of reality. That is the basis of our existence.

Faith is more false than anything else at all, because it requires you to belive without intelligent proof.

Why are everyone so hip on discarding perfectly valid evidence thats all around in your room, take a god damn look. You will see the products of a million man-made miracles if you try to think about it.

And yet, people want to belive in miracles that cant be proven, in prayers that dont get replies and in mythical figures that has been deemed more unlikely than unicorns. Technically, it has been proven grossly wrong and false, but that normally gets people going.

Imo, the only problem in our history is that science has accepted too much bullshit from too many retards.

You mean intention? If you do, then its kinda funny. Because thats what we get taught in kindergarten in denmark untill we are old enough to move to next step. Then we are explained how we was lied to in order to make us behave more properly.

I really think Christnianity needa do one of them explanations. Its obvious its a huge pile of bullshit that was only designed to maintain control.

Yes, kinda like truly believing that there will be 72 virgins for you in heaven when you trigger the bomb around your stomach to punish them evil danes for making cartoons of your prophet.

Yes its a powerful belief. In something we have no proof of. Ape, for crying out loud, people that have such "powerful" beliefs without any proof to back them up are in generally locked away and studied. Unless they belong to a major religion, i will give you that. The intellectuel part of mankind tolerate much bullshit.

So you also belive that the 7 napoleons in the insane asylum are actually all Napoleon? What about the 3 hitlers and the 4 mother teresas? Or do they fall under the same rule as the Buffet-Bible.

Or do you acknowlegde that quite possibly, faith can be misleading and cause a poor soul to base their entire life on CRAP.

Faith is not a good thing, as such. Faith implies belief without proof, which is pure ignorance. Being fanatical about it does not make it better.

Believing in something strongly enough does not make it true. Thats just wrong ape.

Ape, i already explained like three times why Its idiotic on a whole new level to accept parts of "Holy Book" without accepting the rest of it.

Thats one part where your "ego" part enters, when one dick is told to interpret the rest of the bible for everyone else. For example. Or when one dick writes the bible, full of bullshit, and claims its the word of god.

Or when the followers read this word of god, which they belive to be true, and then discard 35% of it and embrace the rest.

Except for in a few years, where they will be discarding 37% and embracing the rest, even though the book has never changed and there has been no official word from god that the 2% thats now also considered bullshit, is bullshit.

I know you want to belive ape, and i know you want to think in alternative strains of thought, but youre on the wrong track.

And see ape, youre actually making a poor person, biggie shorty, belive in what youre saying is true because he doesnt consider to contest it in any way just accepts it because he feels like its close enough to what he might belive in. A true example of the flawed nature of faith.

Ape, you are spreading ignorance :/ Not very philosophical of you.

Experience is all you have. Faith is belief in something you can't prove. Which ends up being just about everything. Remember, the whole universe really is inside of you. You have never experienced an external reality. So is what you're able to perceive the absolute external world? Or is it the limitations of what the human mind is capable of understanding about the external world? You can't know. Which is why I keep an open mind to all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.